Headliners 2015 - Wishes, rumours, my mate knows someone who knows someone that says...

Greenelk

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll you what, if we're having Nutini, why don't we just go the whole hog and get James Blunt and James Morrison on as well?

Benjamin Francis Leftwich anyone?

I know Take That are touring but maybe Melvin could persuade Gary Barlow to take up the 'legends' slot mentioned above?

And why don't we get Craig David in as a special guest?

Maybe they could persuade Bruno Mars to come as well?

The possibilites are endless.

I'll you what, if we're having Nutini, why don't we just go the whole hog and get James Blunt and James Morrison on as well?

Benjamin Francis Leftwich anyone?

I know Take That are touring but maybe Melvin could persuade Gary Barlow to take up the 'legends' slot mentioned above?

And why don't we get Craig David in as a special guest?

Maybe they could persuade Bruno Mars to come as well?

The possibilites are endless.

Nah, mate. Not mainstream enough for this VERY mainstream event. Apparently. ;p

hasn't got to me at all, dude. :)

Just because the festival books headliners & other acts which will help sells tickets, my assertion that the event AS A WHOLE isnt a (and i quote) "very mainstream event" is all. You ask whoever is the 'mainstream' of people about Latitude, firstly most would not have heard of it, and secondly, you describe what the WHOLE festival is about, and i am pretty sure that most would say its 'arty farty nonsense'. To say its mainstream is quite odd. To me.

But, you know, thats your belief. Thats cool. No biggie. Just because i think the idea of Latitude being mainstream is CRAZY (Note the IDEA is crazy. Not the person saying it. Just like there is nothing wrong 'in my head' or ive 'eaten a bowl of fruit loops' for my BELIEF that to class Latitude as a 'Very Mainstream Event' is missing the whole idea of the festival....), ultimately it doesnt mean nothing, does it? Its just a bit of fun on a crappy forum (a forum i like & use, by the way. But....yer know....its not very mainstream, is it? talking on a forum....).

No Harm, No Fowl. :)

Edited by retromoz

hasn't got to me at all, dude. :)

Just because the festival books headliners & other acts which will help sells tickets, my assertion that the event AS A WHOLE isnt a (and i quote) "very mainstream event" is all.

I'd say the audience of any event shows whether it's mainstream or not.

Ask yourself: are the massive majority at Latitude very mainstream people with mainstream tastes and opinions?

There's only one right answer.

That's not me trying to put Latitude in a shit place - its in much the same place as just about every other fest - but it is me referencing facts and not how I might like to think or it to also consider myself as cool and alternative when I'm not.

It's about self-image, and not what's being referenced.

Us humans like to think of ourselves as cool and different to other people. Some people can think beyond that and see the truth of things.

Well yeah, but I am actually cool and different, after all, I listen to Radiohead, and they're incredibly alternative and not mainstream at all.

• 4 weeks later...

The Florence one may be a bit wild and I hope it doesn't happen. However i've got a feeling Pulp may do a few final shows and they covered the other major festivals in their last run.

I would LOVE it to be The National but aren't they off the touring cycle and taking some time out?

Florence and Pulp are both way too big for Latitude is the point, especially in the same year. Plus, as you allude to, Pulp are defunct. You may as well suggest Alt-J // The Strokes // Blur :P.

Meanwhile, the National are unlikely for the reasons you state...but they are at least the right size. And still a going concern as a band. So less unlikely than the others.

Ha ha. Forgive me for my foolish speculation :fool:. With it being the 10th birthday, and with what Melvin said, maybe I envisaged one larger band headlining.

On the Florence point, do you see her as bigger than say Elbow for example? I find it hard to place her. Has she done much more than Lily Allen in terms of both records sold and festival slots? Just a debate, I'm a fan of neither.

My birthhday is 8 days after the festival, my friends are all saying just to get a child ticket and ask a random adult to pretend they're with me. I was just wondering if anyone else has been in this position before and what they did? Any advice would be much appreciated

You turning 16 and worried about not getting let in with an adult ticket?

Not gonna happen mate you'll be fine, you won't be able to buy booze in the festival but they would never ask for an id to check if you're old enough unless if you look around 10.

Or you wondering if you can get a cheaper ticket and then go in with a random family?

This would also (probably) work.

On the Florence point, do you see her as bigger than say Elbow for example? I find it hard to place her. Has she done much more than Lily Allen in terms of both records sold and festival slots? Just a debate, I'm a fan of neither.

Yeah, definitely bigger than Elbow or Lily Allen. Last time she toured (2012) she headlined Bestival, subbed Reading and Leeds and T In The Park and sold 120,000-odd tickets for her own shows. She looks fairly likely to headline Glastonbury. She's just been away for a while so people have forgotten :)

Florence and Pulp are both way too big for Latitude is the point, especially in the same year. Plus, as you allude to, Pulp are defunct. You may as well suggest Alt-J // The Strokes // Blur .

I'd say the Strokes could be in with a shout at doing it, depending how long they stick around Europe after Primavera.

Their stock has certainly fallen over the years, so headlining the Other Stage at Glastonbury or headlining Latitude/Bestival is probably about right for them.

Yeah, after I put the Strokes I did think 'actually...'

Was just the first act I thought of that are roughly the same size as Flo. It'll be interesting to see where they do play once they return to these shores. Latitude's never really had a headliner that's been the right size because they're on the way down in popularity rather than on the way up, I think? Bloc Party maybe...