FLEETWOOD MAC not doing Glastonbury 2015.

Swine_Glasto2014

<random aside>

I was reminded the other day of a phone call I got early one morning sometime in the lead-up to Glasto 2007.

It was a personal call from Michael, saying thank you for the support efestivals was giving the festival.

(it was that J-Zee year, when sales weren't going well and the fest was getting loads of flack for not being rawk)

It was something I was very touched by.

So i'd put more faith in anything Emily said to the press than I would something from Michael.

Michael's comments "Best fest ever" "Best performance ever" "Headliners booked" are indicative of the shrewd old fox giving good copy.

They can't be disproved either can they? Fair play to him.

<random aside>

I was reminded the other day of a phone call I got early one morning sometime in the lead-up to Glasto 2007.

It was a personal call from Michael, saying thank you for the support efestivals was giving the festival.

(it was that J-Zee year, when sales weren't going well and the fest was getting loads of flack for not being rawk)

It was something I was very touched by.

aah nice, was that a bit of a turning point in the festival? i remember alot of friends not being interested and especially not being impressed with the headliners, ever since then sell outs have been incredibly quick..(guess the good weather that year helped, and wasnt that first year of shangri la replacing lost vagueness??)

Will know more once the tour dates are released. If they physically can't do it because of the dates it's easy. If there's a gap then its probably too much of a coincidence.

Could they do BST the same weekend as Glasto, or do they have headliners across different weekends, and Swifto already has that weekend claimed?

I know back in 2009 neil young and springsteen both did hard rock calling at Hyde park the day after they'd played glasto. (Ace video of macca doing day in the life with shakey on YouTube somewhere) so it's not unheard of. however it's different promoters but I assume there are smarter people around here who are more knowledgeable on the matter

Thanks for that Neil - take your point that Em comes across as genuine.

With Stevie Wonder, it might well be the case that having been asked about him was what caused them to go off and get him. From what I remember hearing (that might not be true, tho I've no reason to doubt it) they were soon (within days) about to hear that they weren't getting one of the acts they thought they'd already secured.

That said there's been a lot of comment from the band in the past. Whilst an outright denial would appear fairly damning of their chances I wouldn't at all be surprised at a big glaring gap in tour dates once announced.

I wouldn't either.

Mick needs to make sure that the other dates sell, and falsely denying Glastonbury when they were really going to play it would be one way of helping the sales along.

But I now think it's more likely he's telling the truth than spinning a line.

Michael's comments "Best fest ever" "Best performance ever" "Headliners booked" are indicative of the shrewd old fox giving good copy.

They can't be disproved either can they? Fair play to him.

I know from the stuff i get to hear about that there's certainly been an amount of substance to the 'headliners booked' thing he often says at the end of a festival. What they really are are loose verbal agreements, that may or may not one about in reality; my guess is that about one in three are actually followed thru on.

I know back in 2009 neil young and springsteen both did hard rock calling at Hyde park the day after they'd played glasto. (Ace video of macca doing day in the life with shakey on YouTube somewhere) so it's not unheard of. however it's different promoters but I assume there are smarter people around here who are more knowledgeable on the matter

I doubt it would matter much to a promoter of an event on the same weekend.

People have already got their Glasto tickets, and it's unlikely of anyone giving them up to see an act somewhere else on the same w/e - and so Glasto is not competition for sales over a particular act on that same weekend.

Obsessive Fleetwood Mac fans would have certainly heard the rumours.

It would have been a gamble to buy on that basis, sure - but you're only down a tenner if the line-up is announced without them and you opt to get a refund.

Even the most casual Fleetwood Mac fan has heard the Rumours.

But you're right - I don't imagine that many folk follow them around in the way that people do for the Boss or the Stones, so it would be a very small number of people.

Intended pun?

Paradoxically, I can now see them doing it in 2016 if the tour goes on as he sounded quite complimentary and certainly didn't close the door.

I get the impression bands have becoming a lot better at seeing the bigger picture financially when doing Glastonbury and not just seeing the (relatively for them) small fee for playing it.