FLEETWOOD MAC not doing Glastonbury 2015.

Swine_Glasto2014

Mick Fleetwood's Facebook page has a glaring typo on the tour dates for the 22nd and 24th June. It says Bristol but the dates are for London. Someone has the itinerary wrong maybe they are staying in Bristol a little later than that.......

https://m.facebook.com/realmickfleetwood?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F&_rdr

Why Bristol of all places...? Got to be a slip up surely?

maybe someone can clarify, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere in Bristol big enough to accommodate an FM gig, from what I can tell, so can't see any gigs happening there.

obviously a mistake, but why Bristol and not somewhere else, eg. Leeds which is officially the next gig after those.

in a possibly similar error, last year Chic were playing Electric Picnic festival, which is held in Stradbally, Ireland.

the lineup for the festival hadn't been released, but for months on Nile Rodgers' site, it said "Bestival, Stradbally, Ireland".

they had already been announced for Bestival, but not for Electric Picnic which was the previous weekend, so it seems whoever was updating the site copied and pasted the wrong address from a list of their festival gigs on the next line down.

i wonder if whoever was updating Mick's facebook page read the wrong line, and copied the wrong city....

so, I've been thinking about this while I was out getting my shopping this morning.

When i was growing up (I'm just the wrong side of 40, so i reckon about median for these boards), Fletwood Mac were fucking laughable. When I came of age, it was the Mondays, The House of Love, The Stone Roses, they were the biggest bands around. FM were like an irrelelvance, they'd done nothing for years and no 18 year old would have been seen dead with one of their records. It's old people's music. About as rebeelious as afternoon tea and a slice of Cherry Bakewell. Parent's music. Wouldn't have given it houseroom.

So, I'm kind of baffled by this hysteria around their tickets now.

I'm not being snide, I try not to do that. I'll call a c**t a c**t if that's what i reckon. I have a clear, wide-eyed interest in this.

When did you all get into Fleetwood Mac? was it as teenagers? I really hope not. Was it as adults, did you have a moment where you sort of crossed over into Dad music? I'm genuinely interested and fascinated by it. I spnt my teenage years in ropey indie clubs and seeing gigs in scabby, stinky hovels awash with cheap lager. FM were the sound of Formula 1 on the telly.

I suppose what I'm asking is that I love this board, there's some genuinely great people on here and I've made some proper friends through it but i feel totally out of step with the tastes on here, so I'm curious, Y'all been into this sort of music all your lives?

I suppose what I'm asking is that I love this board, there's some genuinely great people on here and I've made some proper friends through it but i feel totally out of step with the tastes on here, so I'm curious, Y'all been into this sort of music all your lives?

I'm a similar age to you, and I too could be found in dodgy indie clubs on a regular basis (Pink Toothbrush in Rayleigh and Gigantic in London being two of my faves) and I found most of FMs 80s and 90s output twee and bland. However, my dad was massively into his music, and one of his friends down in Cornwall where I grew up, played lots of local gigs we attended, and that was very much MOR, and I can't deny I loved some of it. The Band, Rumours era Fleetwood Mac, Supertramp, all stuff I have a soft spot for.

I guess I never saw any need for rebellion in music, if I liked something, I rarely gave a toss if it was cool or not. Equally, my parents loved Neil Young and Bowie, who most people on here view in a totally different light to many artists of that time, yet some of their output (Young more than Bowie) could be seen as Dadrockesque (prepares to be stoned as a blasphemer).

I also love ABBA

I have no idea if that answered your question at all...

Edited by Greenelk

Nice post Mardy.

I'm 40 and i tried listening to FM after utterly loving Midlake's Van Occupanther.

I adore that album yet its so far from my usual music tastes its ridiculous. A lad i lift shared to work with said it sounded like FM. So i gave em a try.

Plus my wife grew up with them as her parents love them.

I think they're solid MOR stuff...nothing more.

But i'd love them to headline at my wife's second Glasto and my mother in law's first. Just to see them happy.

Edited by Woffy

Im a bit older than you Mardy. My coming of age music wise was at the height of NWOBHM (one for the reenagers there) and I spent my clubbing years in seedy rock clubs. FM were seen as dinosaurs then even though the DJ would occasionally sneak on one if their tunes.

I'd not given them a passing thought for 20 years but watched that documentary about them a few years back. I found myself knowing more tunes than I expected and in a Friday night, wine enduced haze ordered the Greatest Hits CD.

I've probably listened to it about 7 times since. It's alright like but I'm also not getting the interest from the youth. I'd probably go see them at Glastonbury if there's nothing else to pull me away but I wouldn't be arsed paying more than £10 to go see them on their own.

Maybe it was Glee that made them cool after all.

Oooh, thanks woffy and elk too. Its good stuff, been gnawing away at me for a bit

Parents taste is interesti g yeah, yiu reckon you kick against it as a youth, (I've been to the Pink Toothbrush as few times, never saw a FM Tshirt), then as you grow up something changes. But im not sure what

I think, the stuff i was indoctrinated with as a youth in car journeys with my parents, you kind of now, just recognise it, you cant really say if its good or bad, it just is. Its part of your development, part of your youth, something as ingrained in you as, say, your times tables you learnt at primary school.

Im fascinated by it, i really am

Here's a question, is there any music/acts that your patents listened to, like, say FM, that you now can't abide? Is there anything big from say 65-75 that is now beyond rehabilitation (Gary Glitter aside). Do you think just longeivity by itself brings a kind of 'liking' or at least, fond tolerance?

Here's a question, is there any music/acts that your patents listened to, like, say FM, that you now can't abide? Is there anything big from say 65-75 that is now beyond rehabilitation (Gary Glitter aside). Do you think just longeivity by itself brings a kind of 'liking' or at least, fond tolerance?

There's nothing that really jumps out in my memory no, but it could just be that I've blanked out the poorer stuff they liked. I know they hated a lot of the music I listened to as a teenager though!

The parent/child thing is interesting - my eldest (20 this month) likes a lot of the same music as me, but also like a lot of Japanese music, including Babymetal, which I find appalling. My youngest two (16 and 13) have a far dancier bent to their stuff, and certainly moan about some of the music we have on in the car (though often end up watching the same bands as us at fesivals). I think the longevity thought has some legs.

And to think, we could well have been at the Pink Toothbrush at the same time. And no, I wasn't wearing a FM tshirt. Nor ABBA for that matter.

My dad was a huge country fan. Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Vernon Oxford. .. proper Country and Western stuff. I could not stand it and still really dislike that particular strain. But as I've got older, I've started to like Americana more and more. Stuff like Decenberists, Golden Smog, Danny and the Champions of the World.

I'm getting concerned that I may end up one day actually purchasing a Waylon Jennings album.

My mother on the other hand listened to Abba all the time. I fucking hate them.

so...this bristol thing, do bands often stay in bristol if performing at glastonbury?

This is probably the only way they've fecked it up, if they have.

I can't think of any logical explanation as to why Bristol is even mentioned, it's not as if we have an arena and someone's mistaken the O2 as being in a different city :lol:

• Upvote 1

This is probably the only way they've fecked it up, if they have.

I can't think of any logical explanation as to why Bristol is even mentioned, it's not as if we have an arena and someone's mistaken the O2 as being in a different city :lol:

nearest big town isnt it? so guess would make sense to stay there..

To answer mardys question. I got into fm about 10 years ago, I'd have been 22 at the time, from just swapping albums with work mates and one lent me rumours and tango in the night and another lent me a greatest hits that had a lot of peter green era stuff on it.

I've been a fan ever since but never seen them live so seeing them at glasto would be a dream

To answer mardys question. I got into fm about 10 years ago, I'd have been 22 at the time, from just swapping albums with work mates and one lent me rumours and tango in the night and another lent me a greatest hits that had a lot of peter green era stuff on it.

I've been a fan ever since but never seen them live so seeing them at glasto would be a dream

Did you come to it with any preconceptions? Im guessing your colleague was a good bit older than you?

Many people grow up listening to their parents music - at home, in the car - and either rebelled or embraced it. I had none of that: zero.

My parents were 'amusical'. Utterly.

I found music late (16/17...i'm 40 now). I'm kinda glad.

Anyone else the same...blank canvass type thing?

Mick Jagger certainly stayed in Bristol didnt he?

As to the paremts musical tastes, mine only listened to religious music, classical and awful old tosh like the spinners so there was nothing to rebel against.

Anything from my childhood I cant stand? ABBA - they just cant be rehabilitated for me.

People like FM had classic status and so just got lumped in with the Beatles, Stones, Who etc. Having a female vocalist was good as well as they were/are really quite thin on the ground with guitar led music. One of the reason my friends and I were so obsessed with PJ Harvey and Hole.