FLEETWOOD MAC not doing Glastonbury 2015.

Swine_Glasto2014

i take no pleasure in saying this cos i don't have a ticket ( :( ) and hearing that the mac weren't playing made that pill easier to swallow, however i think it's all legal/contractual nonsense a la metallica and they'll be there.

edit: parental influence: my dad is a peter green fan and views later mac as a travesty. though he'll still tap his feet. he was increduluous that i'm into them. that said, he's into the eagles so they were part of the soundtrack of my childhood and even the passing of time can't make that tosh appealing to me.

Edited by scaryclaireyfairy

Did you come to it with any preconceptions? Im guessing your colleague was a good bit older than you?

No not really. I've always been open to listening to new music friends recommend and take it on face value of whether I like what I'm hearing. Both workmates are a lot older than me and I new of fleetwood macs big hits but was absolutely blew away by rumours as a whole album, that really started my love affair with the band which then branched off into stevie Knicks solo albums which I think are great as well.

Just yesterday I had a workmate playing stuff for me , got me onto a covers band called me sir and the gimme gimmes, loved it, so in turn I told him to have a listen to minor threat, chvrches, and fugazi, he thought all three were great. Being open to others is just a great way to expand your musical tastes.

That Bristol thing is well suspect! I've always thought they wouldn't play after that denial but... Hmmm... How the fuck will they counter the inevitable backlash though?

As for parental musical taste, I kind of agree with whoever said (Mardy?) that some of it is just kind of "there" like a backdrop to my childhood. Dire Straits, Thin Lizzy and The Police and Deep Purple make me think of my dad and while I don't much like them I feel a fondness. I find it hard to hate Cliff (unless he really is a paedo) because my mum was such an uberfan. I saw Kenny Rogers partly because I grew up with her listening to him too. Was a big old nostalgia fest and a highlight for me.

Equally, I like some of the stuff they liked: Beatles, Stones, Bowie, Who. I can't remember ever actively rebelling to that stuff but it's hard to when the bands I loved (Placebo, Blur, Suede) were so obviously influenced by some of those.

Interesting.

I suppose what I'm asking is that I love this board, there's some genuinely great people on here and I've made some proper friends through it but i feel totally out of step with the tastes on here, so I'm curious, Y'all been into this sort of music all your lives?

i'm 29.

i throughout my teenage years/early 20s i mostly listened to indie stuff. the type of thing that Pitchfork/Drowned in Sound cover.

for the last few years i've been mostly into house/techno music, with a bit of indie and hiphop thrown in.

had heard bits of Fleetwood Mac down through the years but never really listened to them, like the vast majority of popular pre-1990 music to be honest.

i must have read something about them a few years back about how Rumours was such a great pop record or something, and gave it a listen and took it from there.

the melodies and songwriting are just fantastic.

my parents don't really listen to music. they had a few vinyl records and CDs around the house, but they would have rarely played them when we were growing up, and have no interest whatsoever now. I have a feeling Rumours is one of the things they own but I'm not sure. they definitely own an AC/DC record, and a couple of Meatloaf ones, 2 acts i hate. i can't remember them playing those either, they just sit in a dusty corner under the hifi!

Interesting to hear FM had 'classic' status. Late 80s, early 90s, I reckon it was more 'bloated old tedious excess' rather than classic, certainly around the people I knocked around with, there was never any interest in classic/old stuff really. It was the thrill of discovering stuff that was ours. Wonder if it ties in with the reissue/downloadable culture that emerged in the 90s?

This is sort of what i mean about preconceptions, i guess. One person's 'classic' is another person's 'old and tired'.

This has really got me thinking. Thanks efests.

When did you all get into Fleetwood Mac? was it as teenagers? I really hope not. Was it as adults, did you have a moment where you sort of crossed over into Dad music? I'm genuinely interested and fascinated by it. I spnt my teenage years in ropey indie clubs and seeing gigs in scabby, stinky hovels awash with cheap lager. FM were the sound of Formula 1 on the telly.

I got into FM when i was about 16, I'm now 18

Here's a question, is there any music/acts that your patents listened to, like, say FM, that you now can't abide? Do you think just longeivity by itself brings a kind of 'liking' or at least, fond tolerance?

My dad has always loved Genesis but i simply cant stand them. He also claims that their music has "aged brilliantly" so I cant imagine what it must have been like back in the day!

I definitely had the view during my musical renaissance that fm were a crappy classic rock band that I had no interest in.

This was mainly to do with the fact that it was my parents music, and I wanted my own music, so listened to lots of that raw American sound popularised in the late 80's and early 90's.

Through this i discovered that much of my parents music was directly influential to much of the music i liked.

I then reevaluated lots of their music and found myself picking and choosing certain stuff they liked such as queen, elo, meatloaf, the beatles and enjoying other things from that era, like NY, The doors, led Zeppelin, all of which has thoroughly enhanced my life to such an extent that much of the music i listen to now was recorded before I was born.

To summarise, i thought FM were shite then, and my opinion hasn't much changed.

Thanks to mardy for opening up such thoughts

I'm 21 and I don't really like them however my dad always plays them in the car so I've kind of gotten a thing for Dreams (he's 61)

Other than that I wasn't really exposed to much music as a child so I had a blank canvas other than liking a few chart 'trance' songs, Castles in the Sky was right banger. I got into music around 14/15 thanks to Guitar Hero and became a massive fan boy for Muse, I had a phase for about 2 years where they were the only band I listened to about 95% of the time before I realised there's actually a lot better music out there.

However everything I listen to is modern, I know virtually nothing about any of the classics having never been exposed to them and having had no desire to ever listen to (Bowie, The Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Who etc)

Have all the dates sold out yet?

Also for those asking about how they'll counter the backlash if they are playing

"At the time we made the statement, we weren't signed up to play"

Also there's the small matter of them not giving a fuck :) sure some people will be pissed but if you love the Mac then it's better to see them twice then not at all right?

I'm 21 and I don't really like them however my dad always plays them in the car so I've kind of gotten a thing for Dreams (he's 61)

Other than that I wasn't really exposed to much music as a child so I had a blank canvas other than liking a few chart 'trance' songs, Castles in the Sky was right banger. I got into music around 14/15 thanks to Guitar Hero and became a massive fan boy for Muse, I had a phase for about 2 years where they were the only band I listened to about 95% of the time before I realised there's actually a lot better music out there.

However everything I listen to is modern, I know virtually nothing about any of the classics having never been exposed to them and having had no desire to ever listen to (Bowie, The Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Who etc)

Nice post. i reckon there's a significant chunk of efests now thinking about young people getting into music through Guitar Hero and how baffling that is for us old c**ts.

• Upvote 1

I was pretty much a blank canvas. The only things i can remember being played by my parents were john denver and bette middler, though my sister was into rock in the late 80s which probably got me ready for grunge to be the first music i considered my own.

I always liked the f1 theme before i knew it was fm but i knew them in the 80s and 90s as being the stuff the brit awards would avoid like the plague as they were uncool (and arguably producing rubbish music at the time). I then gradually heard various songs over the years that i liked and would rate them as a decent greatest hits artist for me (apart from the peter green stuff which i really love) who i would happily watch on the pyramid.

A big part of the appeal is that i haven't seen them before and that has only been the case for two glastonbury headliners (not counting beyonce who i have less than zero interest in) in the past three years. Radiohead aside they are probably the only realistic headliner i would get excited about.

see, I don't understand (and I'm not having a pop at you here, Scruffs, in any way) how you can be e.g. 18 years old, passionate about the angry energy of the manics in the early 90s and still accept Queen into your life, not rebel against it. I find it so interesting.

This thread has helped me understand why I dislike FM and some other music, if nothing else. All about who listens to it, isn't it? As you grow up, the people who you respect, admire, look up to, you're going to invest more time and effort into getting into that music.

I think this is the one thing everybody here can agree on. I don't think I've ever come across anybody who actively dislikes David Bowie. *awaits comment claiming they've never liked Bowie.*

I know but someone on the last page said they'd no desire to listen to him. Everyone should at least listen and I'd argue there's an album for everyone. Also some dross but not a lot relatively speaking.

I know but someone on the last page said they'd no desire to listen to him. Everyone should at least listen and I'd argue there's an album for everyone. Also some dross but not a lot relatively speaking.

Again, it's all about timing, as I came of age, started to learn about music, started to feel that passion, just as I was on the cusp, wide eyed and desperate to devour everything that music had to offer, everything that was around me....

Bowie released Tin Machine