Taylor Swift

Muppetmark

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to think there's something to this speculation that there's something going on with the masters. Definitely would have expected one or both of 1989 and Speak Now to have dropped already. I wonder if Taylor gets the masters back and then releases the "vault" tracks all together as an album and just sacks off re-recording the rest?

For Glastonbury, I don't think Emily's comment suggests one way or another if she's touring next year. There's an equal chance she's being coy and Taylor is there next year, or she's being honest and doesn't know if a tour is in the works yet. If Taylor does find some resolution with these masters though, I could see a greatest hits tour next year, LP10 and new tour in 2024/5?

Edited by jparx

2 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

It’s so quiet in the Taylor camp, no massive rumours but her last tour feels  so long ago now . 2018 ended and now 3 albums down the line 

It's really hard to imagine going yet another year without shows. 6 year break from touring is bonkers really but I appreciate she's probably wanting to do it as safe as possible. 

If there isn't something going on with the masters, I think 1989 needs to drop soon. It feels like the excitement is dwindling from the re-recording project and it's becoming more of a drag (imo at least). 

1 minute ago, jparx said:

It's really hard to imagine going yet another year without shows. 6 year break from touring is bonkers really but I appreciate she's probably wanting to do it as safe as possible. 

If there isn't something going on with the masters, I think 1989 needs to drop soon. It feels like the excitement is dwindling from the re-recording project and it's becoming more of a drag (imo at least). 

Agree. Saw a rumour last night that she can’t release Reputation TV until November so is waiting for that. But 1989 or Speak Now would be way more interesting. Feels like the original version of Reputation only came out five minutes ago, possibly because it was the last album she toured properly. 

4 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Agree. Saw a rumour last night that she can’t release Reputation TV until November so is waiting for that. But 1989 or Speak Now would be way more interesting. Feels like the original version of Reputation only came out five minutes ago, possibly because it was the last album she toured properly. 

Wonder why that would be? I really do hope she just gets the masters back and we move on. The re-recordings were good for Fearless and Red since they really lended themselves to this project. Speak Now should be interesting, but 1989 and reputation not so much.

In other news, knocked this up as a realistic, potential festival setlist. Coming in at under 2 hours and thinking about tracks she will really be wanting to play live over what I'd personally rather. It's missing a lot of stuff I'd want to see but it's an absolute banger fest regardless:

1.      State of Grace

2.      Blank Space

3.      Cruel Summer

4.      Style

5.      Red

6.      Lover (acoustic)

7.      Cardigan (acoustic)

8.      Last Great American Dynasty (acoustic)

9.      The Man

10.   Trouble

11.   You Need to Calm Down

12.  Holy Ground (piano)

13.  Clean (piano)

14.  Willow (acoustic)

15.   Love Story (acoustic)

16.   Exile (acoustic)

17.   We Are Never Getting Back Together

18.   Shake it Off

Encore

19.   ME!

20.   Getaway Car

21.   All Too Well (full)

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

Wonder why that would be? I really do hope she just gets the masters back and we move on. The re-recordings were good for Fearless and Red since they really lended themselves to this project. Speak Now should be interesting, but 1989 and reputation not so much.

In other news, knocked this up as a realistic, potential festival setlist. Coming in at under 2 hours and thinking about tracks she will really be wanting to play live over what I'd personally rather. It's missing a lot of stuff I'd want to see but it's an absolute banger fest regardless:

1.      State of Grace

2.      Blank Space

3.      Cruel Summer

4.      Style

5.      Red

6.      Lover (acoustic)

7.      Cardigan (acoustic)

8.      Last Great American Dynasty (acoustic)

9.      The Man

10.   Trouble

11.   You Need to Calm Down

12.  Holy Ground (piano)

13.  Clean (piano)

14.  Willow (acoustic)

15.   Love Story (acoustic)

16.   Exile (acoustic)

17.   We Are Never Getting Back Together

18.   Shake it Off

Encore

19.   ME!

20.   Getaway Car

21.   All Too Well (full)

Apart from the lack of Delicate, Enchanted and I Forgot That You Existed, I would definitely take this. And the latter is probably wishful thinking anyway.

Would die at piano versions of Holy Ground and Clean coming back to back. 

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Apart from the lack of Delicate, Enchanted and I Forgot That You Existed, I would definitely take this. And the latter is probably wishful thinking anyway.

Would die at piano versions of Holy Ground and Clean coming back to back. 

Yeah, they're the most wishful thinking parts of the setlist, but Holy Ground has had some love recently and I think Clean deserves much more attention (hoping it gets some special treatment on the 1989 re-recording) 🤞

Could bounce back and forth over preferable hits setlists all day long - and we shall!

My issue might be that she would go in very hard behind a new record - remember her Hyde Park show packed just three songs not from 1989. I mean, the latter was a smash record, so it was less of an issue - but always wondered how the Reputation Tour went down when it was skimping off a good portion of hits in favour of more middling material. (Each to their own, but Folklore easily felt like her best collection since 1989 for me.)

16 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Could bounce back and forth over preferable hits setlists all day long - and we shall!

My issue might be that she would go in very hard behind a new record - remember her Hyde Park show packed just three songs not from 1989. I mean, the latter was a smash record, so it was less of an issue - but always wondered how the Reputation Tour went down when it was skimping off a good portion of hits in favour of more middling material. (Each to their own, but Folklore easily felt like her best collection since 1989 for me.)

She’s definitely now at the point where new music should be complementing the classics in her set lists rather than vice versa. Whether she can swallow her pride enough to accept that is another question. 

Just now, Rose-Colored Boy said:

She’s definitely now at the point where new music should be complementing the classics in her set lists rather than vice versa. Whether she can swallow her pride enough to accept that is another question. 

That is my fear. In a way, it's a shame we never saw what the Lover Tour would have looked like - but you have to assume she's savvy enough to realise that, while she is big, there's the need to play a dozen or so bangers atop a festival stage when there are a few punters to win over.

6 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

That is my fear. In a way, it's a shame we never saw what the Lover Tour would have looked like - but you have to assume she's savvy enough to realise that, while she is big, there's the need to play a dozen or so bangers atop a festival stage when there are a few punters to win over.

I was so ready for the Lover tour. Outside of all the actual, real life stuff that the pandemic cost us, not getting the Lover tour is the thing that makes me most sad. The Glastonbury set may end up benefiting from being delayed, but I still think Lover is a tremendous record and some of those tracks may never see the light day.

10 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Yep. The worst case scenario would be if her next proper tour excluded almost everything from the Big Machine years in order to go very hard on Lover, Folklore and Evemore, having never toured any of those in their own right. That setlist would be obviously still be incredible, but it wouldn’t be what people (at festivals in particular) were wanting to hear. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Wonder why that would be?

As per the original agreement, She's gotta wait until it's been 5 years since the original release before she can re-record each album and as Reputation came out in November '17, this November will be the 5 year mark. 

As for the other re-releases, I've heard two differing reasons as to why nothing's come since Red. 

Firstly, as has been discussed on here, she's in discussions to get her original masters back and if she does end up doing so, there's no point with re-recording the other 4 albums. 

Secondly, she's got a court case coming up this summer similar to the one Ed Sheeran had earlier this year about the lyrics to Shake It Off, so she may be waiting until that's all sorted before releasing anything else, especially 1989 TV. 

On a slightly similar yet slightly different note, regarding physical copies of the albums (in particular vinyls), I pre-ordered the vinyls for both Folklore and Evermore when she done the surprise drop and the release date for the vinyls was months after the CD/downloads etc and the same for Fearless TV when I ordered that about a month before it was released so that may not be the case. Although saying that, I did order the vinyl for Red TV when it was announced but that was a few months before it was released and it arrived on release day so who knows? 

In terms of the setlist, in my view at least, whatever she does put in it will be pretty much perfect as she's got that many bangers. Although saying that it may be a bit similar to McCartney this year in terms of saying "I wish she played (insert song here) but it was still brilliant."*

*(If you're wondering I said that about Yesterday for McCartney).

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Livvy13 said:

As per the original agreement, She's gotta wait until it's been 5 years since the original release before she can re-record each album and as Reputation came out in November '17, this November will be the 5 year mark. 

As for the other re-releases, I've heard two differing reasons as to why nothing's come since Red. 

Firstly, as has been discussed on here, she's in discussions to get her original masters back and if she does end up doing so, there's no point with re-recording the other 4 albums. 

Secondly, she's got a court case coming up this summer similar to the one Ed Sheeran had earlier this year about the lyrics to Shake It Off, so she may be waiting until that's all sorted before releasing anything else, especially 1989 TV. 

On a slightly similar yet slightly different note, regarding physical copies of the albums (in particular vinyls), I pre-ordered the vinyls for both Folklore and Evermore when she done the surprise drop and the release date for the vinyls was months after the CD/downloads etc and the same for Fearless TV when I ordered that about a month before it was released so that may not be the case. Although saying that, I did order the vinyl for Red TV when it was announced but that was a few months before it was released and it arrived on release day so who knows? 

In terms of the setlist, in my view at least, whatever she does put in it will be pretty much perfect as she's got that many bangers. Although saying that it may be a bit similar to McCartney this year in terms of saying "I wish she played (insert song here) but it was still brilliant."*

*(If you're wondering I said that about Yesterday for McCartney).

Good info! Makes sense on reputation. Honestly had totally slipped my mind that was about to be 5 years old 🤢

And on setlists, yeah, Taylor is in the group with Macca and Radiohead in that there's always going to be a slew of tracks missed off. It's why I usually try and catch Radiohead multiple times per tour since they're really good about mixing things up quite heavily from show to show, where as Taylor not so much. Hopefully that changes in the future though, but she'd probably need to strip back the choreography and have a more basic stage production if she did.

Reputation is probably my least favourite album, do think she will honour her BST and Glastonbury dates next year but unsure if that’s more in just hope

on a slight moan her site never seems to have XL T-SHIRTS in stock,  it’s very irritating , love some of the fearless T-shirts but always just in small 

12 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

on a slight moan her site never seems to have XL T-SHIRTS in stock,  it’s very irritating , love some of the fearless T-shirts but always just in small 

That's odd, I managed to get one from there just before Fearless TV came out. Admittedly I've not tried since.

My 1989 one got stolen by a bird.

This is not a joke, it genuinely got stolen by a bird off my washing line.

Managed to recover it before it got too far - the bird obviously was a Reputation fan, because they dropped it on a nearby hedge.

18 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Reputation is probably my least favourite album

Reputation and Lover have both grown on me significantly of late. Both still have incredibly weak lowpoints (namely the lead singles and Endgame) but no longer my least favourites overall.

Will take any excuse to rank her albums! Currently I’d say:

Red

Folklore

Speak Now

Lover

Evermore

Fearless

Taylor Swift

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Reputation and Lover have both grown on me significantly of late. Both still have incredibly weak lowpoints (namely the lead singles and Endgame) but no longer my least favourites overall.

Will take any excuse to rank her albums! Currently I’d say:

Red

Folklore

Speak Now

Lover

Evermore

Fearless

Taylor Swift

It's Red, 1989 and Folklore at the top, Reputation at the bottom, and a scrap in-between depending on my mood.