Jump to content

Taylor Swift


Muppetmark
 Share

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Considering the full quote he says she doesn't write her own songs, this doesn't help him. Whoops. 

Yeah that quote is pretty unambiguous, the journo even followed up challenging him* and he doubled down on it. Even if there was a whole bigger conversation about songwriting that got edited out, that doesn’t change what he said. Weak effort at an apology. 

(* The journos face at that point must have been torn between “Wait, WTF? Did he really say that?” and “OMG, this piece is gonna do numbers.” 🤩)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

He dropped a bollock and has clearly got his facts wrong,  but wasn't exactly a huge attack. Does he really deserve the heat the fan base will bring? 

Nope. Swifties are completely unhinged when this sort of thing happens. There’s no sense of ‘oh, that’s a shame’ - every criticism, no matter how minor, is a chance to be noticed for how much you love Taylor.

She’s complicit in the mob attacks, too. It’s not the first time she’s used Twitter to unleash the hounds. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not condoning the heat he’s getting, but it’s a fucking silly thing to say. By that twisted logic Macca didn’t write his Beatles songs either.

Its basically saying “I don’t like what Taylor Swift does and I do like what Billie Eilish does”. Which is fine. We’re entitled to opinions. Just don’t invent a completely false distinction as a reason.

Edited by balthazarstarbuck
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Nope. Swifties are completely unhinged when this sort of thing happens. There’s no sense of ‘oh, that’s a shame’ - every criticism, no matter how minor, is a chance to be noticed for how much you love Taylor.

She’s complicit in the mob attacks, too. It’s not the first time she’s used Twitter to unleash the hounds. 

I think the issue with blaming her comes down to is she allowed to defend herself? She' not implicitly going 'Go get him' she's just saying 'dude you're wrong'. She knows her fanbase are going to attack him, if she brings it up or not. She has the right to stick up for herself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I think the issue with blaming her comes down to is she allowed to defend herself? She' not implicitly going 'Go get him' she's just saying 'dude you're wrong'. She knows her fanbase are going to attack him, if she brings it up or not. She has the right to stick up for herself. 

Well yeah, but that’s pretty reductive. She knows what she’s doing when she puts individuals in the crosshairs on a platform notorious for cancel culture. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Well yeah, but that’s pretty reductive. She knows what she’s doing when she puts individuals in the crosshairs on a platform notorious for cancel culture. 

Don’t mess with the gal who wrote reputation then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

He’s getting absolutely lampooned. 

People are genuinely going for the 'He's a misogynistic for comparing two woman' route.

 

 

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Well yeah, but that’s pretty reductive. She knows what she’s doing when she puts individuals in the crosshairs on a platform notorious for cancel culture. 

While correct I also don't think she should just sit there and not stick up for her self. If she was asked in an interview about this, or anyone who hates on her, should she just say no comment because her diehard fans are awful?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, chazwwe said:


 

 

While correct I also don't think she should just sit there and not stick up for her self. If she was asked in an interview about this, or anyone who hates on her, should she just say no comment because her diehard fans are awful?

No-ones saying she can’t (and she is the aggrieved party) but there are just other platforms get her point across (and indeed she is on) rather than Twitter. Makes me glad I’m not on it any more. Absolute binfire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know what he means about "co-writing". He's not talking about a songwriting partnership, like Billie and her brother or Lennon/McCartney etc. He's talking about when a pop star has a massive team of songwriters, chips in a couple of musical ideas and a direction for lyrics, then gets song royalties and gets to call themselves a "songwriter", when they're really not.

However, from all accounts, that's not what Taylor Swift does. You can surround yourself with collaborators and still be a key part of the songwriting process - like Bowie or Damon himself.

I don't think he was being inconsistent, but I do think he was completely wrong.

Also bear in mind that his words have almost certainly been edited down to remove nuance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am I seriously the only one who knows what he's talking about with the pop world "co-writing", being a totally different thing to actually contributing in a significant way to writing a song? He's not made up some meaningless distinction because he prefers the final output of one artist over another. He was trying to make a real point about the process, but did it in a clumsy and apparently ill-informed way. I say apparently, because I know very little about Taylor Swift's music. FWIW I don't like any that I've heard, but I am under the impression that she does proper songwriting, not "suggest a word, get a third" stuff that I think Damon was getting at.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boring old blokes have been getting away with saying whatever they like and being lazy and disrespectful for ages. Good he's getting dragged maybe he'll think twice next time. At the same time I'm sure a 53 year old who lived through Blur vs Oasis and the early 00s tabloids isn't weeping in a corner because some Swifties are rightly calling him out on Twitter.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Riggins said:

Boring old blokes have been getting away with saying whatever they like and being lazy and disrespectful for ages. Good he's getting dragged maybe he'll think twice next time. At the same time I'm sure a 53 year old who lived through Blur vs Oasis and the early 00s tabloids isn't weeping in a corner because some Swifties are rightly calling him out on Twitter.

Yeah, he's not getting cancelled is he? He'll be fine.

I like his tunes and a lot of what he says, but he's always had a tendency to say shit like this in interviews. 

And Twitter is a dumpster fire, it's two fan bases who know nothing about the music written by either Damon or Swifty arguing vehemently that their artist is a million times better than the other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not read the interview- is there any further context as to why he's dropped such a clanger?

Drumming up any kind of publicity possible after his recent damp squib of an album, which I'm pretty sure doesn't even exist

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, he's not getting cancelled is he? He'll be fine.

I like his tunes and a lot of what he says, but he's always had a tendency to say shit like this in interviews. 

And Twitter is a dumpster fire, it's two fan bases who know nothing about the music written by either Damon or Swifty arguing vehemently that their artist is a million times better than the other.

In my defense I've listened to Taylor's discography and Damon's most recent album because it had the whole Iceland thing going on which seemed interesting but it was honestly the most boring experience I've ever had and if it came on the radio I couldn't tell you it was him if you offered me a million quid - so there's that settled conclusively 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The height of bad takes. 
It’s just objectively not true. 
What I don’t understand is why he’s got to drag other artists. Why does anyone? I’ll hold my hands up and say that I’m guilty of slating bands I didn’t like when I was younger, but I’m only in my 30s and I’ve learned to just say, “not for me” when I hear something I’m not a fan of (see the Pierce O’Brien thread). How old is Damon? And with the experience of the Brit Pop wars too - shouldn’t he know better? 

8 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The best response I’ve seen was just this screenshot. 

image.png.72bd981ee9cedc245badbb6827b88d67.png

Edited by blutarsky
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think whichever way you look at it, it’s a dickhead move to call out anyone for their songwriting.

I’ve just had a quick browse of Blur, Gorillaz and Damon’s solo stuff on Spotify and am yet to find a song which doesn’t have more than his name listed against the writing credits…?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...