Taylor Swift

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cracking booking for the teenage girls and mentally challenged older girls!

Errr, I've played performed at Glastonbury twice before - improvised cosmic poetry in 1978 and jamming on guitar with The Cosmic Charlies in 1992 (Grateful Dead tribute band) who I went on to join as

Posted Images

https://pitchfork.com/news/the-nationals-aaron-dessner-talks-taylor-swifts-new-album-folklore/

Fascinating stuff. Taylor basically putting lyrics to Cardigan in 2 hours sums her up at this point. She’s on a different level.

Justin’s contribution to Exile is cool as well. “Step right out” is the highlight of the song to me - cool that was his addition. We need to get COVID over and back to festivals so we can see the inevitable guest shots Aaron, Justin and Taylor will all do together...I suspect Justin coming out during Taylor’s Pyramid set would go down much better than with Kanye! 

Listened to again. Read a few fan theories of how things are linked together too. As a piece of art I appreciate it is great - but it's not uplifting enough for me & the 2nd time listening I waa just bored. It doesn't achieve want I want from music. I preferred reading the theories behind it all than the album it'self.

I am a bit gutted really as over the last year I have listened to more & more of her stuff.

Like Golf. I understand the skill, but it's just a bit boring to my taste...  millions love golf though.

With most people I would be worried this is a new direction to be deemed credible by some people, but she's got more in the bag than most & hopefully the next album is more of a fun filled affair.

Im not going to say any more cos I am the sole unhappy voice on the matter - I'll let you all enjoy it in peace. 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

I suppose I am one of those ‘more mature in terms of time’ types who have assumed that TS is not for them. Ignorance as opposed to not liking. Have to say since she was mentioned as a possible headliner on here I listened to her stuff for the first time. I liked the last album and some of the previous stuff, but it’s not something I would go back to time and again. However I think Folklore is brilliant. The National and Bon Iver influence with TS’s songwriting ability is outstanding, to my ear. I think it is part of the master plan to rope as many people as possible into her orbit. More power to her. If she can make music as varied as this from her previous ‘norm’ then I really look forward to what comes next. Top, top stuff.  

ps chalk one more for Exile. Beautiful. 

Feel like I've sat on this long enough to give a proper opinion now - I feel like once again Taylor has made an album where if she cut 4/5 songs it would be a lot better than. I don't know why she keeps going for the 15+ song mark, she always ends up leaving in a lot of filler (Lover) or albums that sorta outstay their welcome (folklore).

I really like the start, but by the time I get past seven the songs start to blend together imo. A lot of the songs use the very similar instrumentation, which is fine but when they're also all in similar tempos it all just becomes a bit of a folky mush. I think Phoebe nailed this sound a bit better earlier in the year (though I agree this album probably has higher highs - Exile and Cardigan are great).

EDIT: just had a quick run through and it seems like the large majority of my least favourites were the Jack Antanoff produced tracks...

Edited by Mattymooz
  • Upvote 1

Still have friends refusing to listen, despite mine and others recommendations. "I don't listen to corporate manufactured pop shit" , and then they go and listen to Foo Fighters or Kasabian.

Plus there's inherent misogyny in all this but I'm not gonna get into that 👀

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Feel like I've sat on this long enough to give a proper opinion now - I feel like once again Taylor has made an album where if she cut 4/5 songs it would be a lot better than. I don't know why she keeps going for the 15+ song mark, she always ends up leaving in a lot of filler (Lover) or albums that sorta outstay their welcome (folklore).

I really like the start, but by the time I get past seven the songs start to blend together imo. A lot of the songs use the very similar instrumentation, which is fine but when they're also all in similar tempos it all just becomes a bit of a folky mush. I think Phoebe nailed this sound a bit better earlier in the year (though I agree this album probably has higher highs - Exile and Cardigan are great).

EDIT: just had a quick run through and it seems like the large majority of my least favourites were the Jack Antanoff produced tracks...

Having had another few listens this is where I'm at too. Its definitely too long.

I still really like it overall and it's one of the better records I've listened to this year but I already know that when it comes to the AOTY time it's going to be easy to knock this down a few places due to it being a bit bloated. 

Am really enjoying this one - it’s the right mood for me at the moment. Her recent albums have been more for dancing round the kitchen - this one is for chilling in the bath with a large G&T or a relaxing night in with a glass of wine 🍷 

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

You don’t like This is Me Trying? That’s one of my faves, although I agree there is a bit of bloat towards the second half of the album. Overall really like it though.

I’ve agreed in the past that Taylor tends to pack her albums a bit too much, but I don’t feel that here at all. The only song where I felt like that was Hoax, and that was the final track. I think there are absolutely wonderful highlights all the way through the album, and not sure I’d cut any of it. It feels like a journey and it’s a hard record to listen to without going from start to finish. It’s frankly better than I expected and I obviously had crazy high hopes.

Cardigan, Exile, Seven, August, Epiphany, Peace and Betty are all up there with her best work. And I’m really starting to think Exile is not only song of the year, but also the best thing either Taylor or Justin have ever done...

Lover has grown on me to become my favourite Taylor record. This stands out more than Lover on first few listens, but I wouldn’t quite yet call it her best. I may end up there in time, though. But Jesus imagine having Red, 1989, Lover and Folklore in your back catalogue?! And your “duff” album having bangers like Getaway Car?!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, jparx said:

And your “duff” album having bangers like Getaway Car?!

Wash your mouth out!  I know you used quotes, but I am not having Reputation and "duff" used in the same sentence .... but I know what you mean

5 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

I feel like once again Taylor has made an album where if she cut 4/5 songs it would be a lot better than. I don't know why she keeps going for the 15+ song mark, she always ends up leaving in a lot of filler (Lover) or albums that sorta outstay their welcome (folklore).

Agree completely - I mentioned the same sentiment yesterday after first 2 listens.  It's not that there is as much filler as Lover, it just drags a bit towards the end.  I am showing my age here, but we need to get back to the old days where we had 2 sides with 5 tracks on each and about 35-40 minutes long!

46 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Agree completely - I mentioned the same sentiment yesterday after first 2 listens.  It's not that there is as much filler as Lover, it just drags a bit towards the end.  I am showing my age here, but we need to get back to the old days where we had 2 sides with 5 tracks on each and about 35-40 minutes long!

I would also add that this pretty much my view in general, not just related to this album. Records with 12+ tracks make me nervous 

I heard Cardigan 'in the wild' yesterday (whilst checking in at a hotel) and it sounded great. 

I've found that as I don't yet know the songs beginning to end that I am getting a sort of 'medley' of bits of them stuck in my head. The medley seems to mostly feature the 1, mad woman and last great american.

15 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I would also add that this pretty much my view in general, not just related to this album. Records with 12+ tracks make me nervous 

Stick the non-album contenders / the tracks that don’t fit the vibe of the album on an EP or a b-side, said the old man at the back...

On my umpteenth listen now and it just gets better and better. It's not really comparable to Lover as it is just a completely different type of album. The more monochrome and subdued atmosphere of folklore complements the bright shiny colours of its predecessor perfectly. To write a record without any obvious (at first listen anyway) hits/bangers is a bold move. Of course the hits are actually buried in there they just take a while to emerge. Cardigan, Exile, August, Mirrorball, LGAD, Seven and many more are now embedding themselves on my internal I-pod. 

I don't get it. She hasn't made a really bad album ever, but no great ones either. This is no different. It's like a Tesco curry. Alright like, but if you want something of that genre you'd grab something else if you had the choice or could be arsed to find it. 7/10. Again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I don't get it. She hasn't made a really bad album ever, but no great ones either. This is no different. It's like a Tesco curry. Alright like, but if you want something of that genre you'd grab something else if you had the choice or could be arsed to find it. 7/10. Again. 

I'd argue 1989 is nearly a perfect synthpop album. I reckon you could cull a couple tracks to make it a little tighter, Bad Blood is really the only massive dud imo but I would also bin off a couple more (imo I Know Places and This love could go...)