Taylor Swift

Muppetmark

I would prefer an uninterrupted set by swifty but a finale joined on stage  with Michael, Emily assorted top notch guests, fireworks, cannons firing paper streamers, free drugs, big singalong, a mega 50th party and a surprise announcement that the festival is continuing for another couple of days and those who last out get tickets for the following year! 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, sophiemarie said:

Nick Cave — absolutely.  Chris Martin — not so much....

Ah that's a good point, I defaulted to Martin.

Nicky Forehead turning up was great, but that's because it was relevant to the song she was performing, and pretty much unexpected

On 12/17/2019 at 3:36 AM, MetaKate said:

Well to an extent its cultural appropriation, as the term was born from primarily black gay culture. From the popularity of Ru Paul it's hard for people to not adapt the language, as he is an icon and a cultural phenomenon, without knowing its origin (the documentary/culture of paris is burning) which he pays homage to endlessly in drag race. 

But basically, I think what @Festival Liam is saying is that it doesnt really make sense in the context shes using it. 

Throwing shade is usually kind of subtle insults. And a term created by gay men. 

So "shade never made anybody less gay" I dont really get it.... is she saying the guy throwing insults isnt going to make a gay person less gay? 

A guy insulting a gay person would not be throwing shade. That would be discrimination. I get that the word discrimination is hard to sing in a song, but knowing the origin of the word shade, yanno?

Thank you @MetaKate for so eloquently explaining what I forgot to do a couple of days ago.

@FuzzyDunlop as above, it basically makes no sense. Simplifying somewhat but the song/video/message of the song seems to be directed to actual hate and anti LGBTQ+ protests, who are doing a lot more than simple "throwing shade". 

Nice to see some Paris is Burning featuring in the thread too  @CaledonianGonzo

... Christ what fucking dumpster fire occurred whilst I forgot to reply to this, I half expected to see it as the last post in the thread still. 

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I would prefer an uninterrupted set by swifty but a finale joined on stage  with Michael, Emily assorted top notch guests, fireworks, cannons firing paper streamers, free drugs, big singalong, a mega 50th party and a surprise announcement that the festival is continuing for another couple of days and those who last out get tickets for the following year! 

...and a big cake....there has to be a 50th birthday cake.

Just now, Festival Liam said:

Thank you @MetaKate for so eloquently explaining what I forgot to do a couple of days ago.

@FuzzyDunlop as above, it basically makes no sense. Simplifying somewhat but the song/video/message of the song seems to be directed to actual hate and anti LGBTQ+ protests, who are doing a lot more than simple "throwing shade". 

Nice to see some Paris is Burning featuring in the thread too  @CaledonianGonzo

... Christ what fucking dumpster fire occurred whilst I forgot to reply to this, I half expected to see it as the last post in the thread still. 

Don't ask. Don't look.

Trying to read it is like the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Who is going to jump out of it? I know exactly who everyone is thinking of but won’t say it. ! 

He's going to have a hard time staying away next year. 

I know he says he won't be popping up but... it's the 50th!

50 minutes ago, Festival Liam said:

Thanks. As I mentioned, it wasn't something I was conscious of until it was pointed out.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Front page of the thread was 5 years ago and you're still planning on standing in the field playing pocket football?

That is some Coleen Rooney level shit and I love it.

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Thanks. As I mentioned, it wasn't something I was conscious of until it was pointed out.

I wouldn't worry, it's pretty subtle. On the face of it, it is a pretty clever play on words. I remember on the third or so listen actually applying some brain power to the lyrics and being like "hmm wait this makes 0 sense". 

On 12/16/2019 at 2:51 PM, ghostdancer1 said:

a spike in search interest after a headliner announcement isn't remotely surprising, and that graph on it's own is essentially worthless. anything in the news generates a spike in searches.

unfortunately the 7 day/30 day/1yr trends haven't been updated since the announcement yesterday, so hard to compare it with other headliner announcements, poster etc.

interest is by far the highest during the festival, with the ticket sales week after that, and Macca being announced, poster drop, etc not generating much. Headliner announcements especially not doing much :

Global 1yr: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=glastonbury

UK 1yr: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=GB&q=glastonbury

Global 5 year: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=glastonbury

Global 90 days (notice ticket day interest versus barely a spike for 18th Nov when Macca was announced): https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 3-m&q=glastonbury

will be interesting to see the difference Swift makes, presume it'll be a couple of days before 15th Dec is included in the longer-term stats.

Update: not much of a difference really, barely any more interest in Glastonbury when Swift announced than the day McCartney did, worldwide.

in the UK, there was actually slightly more interest on the day Macca was announced.

in the US there was definitely more searches for Glastonbury when Swift announced, compared with Macca or even ticket day.

• Upvote 1

Just now, FuzzyDunlop said:

If Martin Ashford plays an instrument / can sing, he's the dream collaboration.

Actually, even better if he can't.

He's championed her enough

Errr, I've played performed at Glastonbury twice before - improvised cosmic poetry in 1978 and jamming on guitar with The Cosmic Charlies in 1992 (Grateful Dead tribute band) who I went on to join as second guitarist/vocalist. We played all over England. I've been playing in bands since I was 13 and still play in a three piece rock covers band  - The Sonic Kicks. We do Motorhead, Quo, Stereophonics, T Rex, The Fall,  etc. Can also play bass and drums. I play a Strat through a small Marshall stack. Yeah, I'm up for it if she is!!!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 9

2 minutes ago, Martin Ashford said:

Errr, I've played performed at Glastonbury twice before - improvised cosmic poetry in 1978 and jamming on guitar with The Cosmic Charlies in 1992 (Grateful Dead tribute band) who I went on to join as second guitarist/vocalist. We played all over England. I've been playing in bands since I was 13 and still play in a three piece rock covers band  - The Sonic Kicks. We do Motorhead, Quo, Stereophonics, T Rex, The Fall,  etc. Can also play bass and drums. I play a Strat through a small Marshall stack. Yeah, I'm up for it if she is!!!

can you play the triangle as well as Emily though ? :)