Melvin Benn Back As Director

Gnomicide

11 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Second wristband for those vaccinated who've been through the gates once presumably? but new test on re entry for everyone who needs one (if allowed at all) 

Imagine having to go back if you tested positive through the gates , how would there get people home safe then? Also would you be entitled to a refund? 

I like that MB is involved. His appointment indicates they’re getting the best people for key positions, lining up all their ducks for 2022. It’s a positive sign. 

There’s no chance they’ll be able to keep Covid out of the festival, however strict the gates are. There are too many moving parts on a huge scale. But I’ll appreciate them doing what they can and I’ll exercise my discretion over the weekend (avoid very dense crowds, etc.) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

Imagine having to go back if you tested positive through the gates , how would there get people home safe then? Also would you be entitled to a refund? 

No refund no but that's what I was getting at when saying its probably simple to use vaccine status and tell people before balance deadline and the resale. Selling tickets to people before setting the rules is one layer but I guess easy enough to sort out with a second resale and ability to return tickets a little later, but start allowing tests and you run into these problems leading up to the event.

It is a tough one with transport. If testing is allowed then i guess it would have to be self administered before you travel and last 48 hours despite it being pointless. Another tick for vaccine status only then - the assumption being people will catch it but not die 

Edited by efcfanwirral

because of covid the licencing is going to be under much more scrutiny than normal, and the council  protect themselves from criticisms by insisting that glastonbury have the most experienced guy in the business handling licencing issues, rather than Michael (Michael was licensee for the last fest who they don't have much faith in (cos of history).

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

because of covid the licencing is going to be under much more scrutiny than normal, and the council  protect themselves from criticisms by insisting that glastonbury have the most experienced guy in the business handling licencing issues, rather than Michael (Michael was licensee for the last fest who they don't have much faith in (cos of history).

Do you have any inside information that Melvin will be the licensee again, or is that just and educated guess? It's kind of what I've been assuming, but I don't actually know.

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Do you have any inside information that Melvin will be the licensee again, or is that just and educated guess? It's kind of what I've been assuming, but I don't actually know.

its a guess, but seems the main reason for getting specifically Melvin. Someone above said he taking the roles of Paul Lathan, Paul was the licensee after Melvin then went to Michael who i can't see the council having much confidence in. (cos of the extra problems of covid).

Edited by Neil

4 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Interesting. Are we going down the cashless/balance top ups road do you think?

They aren’t RFID so I doubt they will.  I can’t believe Boomtown are. We all have safer contactless payment methods already. 

14 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Where's that from?

It was on trial in 2019 for staff and offsite camping with and was due to be rolled out in 2020 to everyone.  It only showed if you were checked in/out of the gates before.  I was guessing they could add covid status to it! 

29 minutes ago, stuie said:

They aren’t RFID so I doubt they will.  I can’t believe Boomtown are. We all have safer contactless payment methods already. 

It was on trial in 2019 for staff and offsite camping with and was due to be rolled out in 2020 to everyone.  It only showed if you were checked in/out of the gates before.  I was guessing they could add covid status to it! 

Its for financial reasons, sziget did it.

1. people have extra money they forget about so free money

2. even if you refund it they charged an awful exchange rate i think + a fee too

3. feels like you aren't spending money to an extent

4. people will try finish off their money on the sunday I'd assume so will buy more drinks etc at the end

Its also safer i guess as you aren't carrying your card everywhere.

----

Boardmasters did retesting this year on the Saturday with a wristband

8 minutes ago, gfa said:

Its for financial reasons, sziget did it.

1. people have extra money they forget about so free money

2. even if you refund it they charged an awful exchange rate i think + a fee too

3. feels like you aren't spending money to an extent

4. people will try finish off their money on the sunday I'd assume so will buy more drinks etc at the end

Its also safer i guess as you aren't carrying your card everywhere.

----

Boardmasters did retesting this year on the Saturday with a wristband

It’s not safer than paying with my phone. And rfid is easy to skim and clone. 

It’s blatantly about money and controlling money. Boomtown pitches apparently being priced as a % of turnover for next year. 

And it goes against their ethos of stopping the machine and all the other anti state narratives they push.  

I can’t see Glastonbury fancying the cashless idea much. 

46 minutes ago, stuie said:

It’s blatantly about money and controlling money. Boomtown pitches apparently being priced as a % of turnover for next year. 

And it goes against their ethos of stopping the machine and all the other anti state narratives they push.  

Nah I reckon they will stick to bands for entry / exit … they now work with staff and will be rolled out to punters this year … can’t really see the need for them taking it further … maybe vax status or lft … I’m not even sure they will bother with that for what is hopefully just the one year 

3 hours ago, stuie said:

I'm not saying that Glastonbury is doing it, i'm just saying why they do it. Phone is safer sure but RFID is safer than contactless card. Nobody is going to be cloning RFIDs during the festival, its a non-issue.

3 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

How did the testing there work?

Lateral flow turned in for a wristband

21 hours ago, Pinhead said:

I think its a good thing that they're seen to be doing the right thing even if its not watertight!

sets everything up to go ahead with minimum criticism,  cos there's going to be a lot of criticism if it goes ahead.

13 minutes ago, MrHew said:

Can anyone explain to me what RFID is/means? 

Radio Frequency Identification - basically the chip inside your bank card / bus pass / work ID / etc that allows for contactless transactions with a unique identifier.

The idea with what Boomtown are proposing (and a handful of other festivals already use or have tried) is to utilise that inside a closed environment system for payments at stalls - so your wristband has an RFID chip in it, which you can then "top up" with cash, and pay at stalls with your wristband.

Not something that I'm a fan of, as it's primarily a way of screwing over the public and traders, and won't be going to any festivals that use it.

Edited by incident
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, MrHew said:

Can anyone explain to me what RFID is/means? 

Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology uses radio waves to identify people or objects. There is a device that reads information contained in a wireless device or “tag” from a distance without making any physical contact or requiring a line of sight.

That or Really Fucking Intense Diarrhoea.

Or Read Fine @incidentDescription 

Edited by Gnomicide
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, incident said:

Not something that I'm a fan of, as it's primarily a way of screwing over the public and traders, and won't be going to any festivals that use it.

I said the same and my friends said I was being dramatic but I feel strongly against this level of control of both punters and traders. 

I guess they might not have cash machines as there’s no genuine need for cash in their new city. Apart from for the dealers! 

43 minutes ago, stuie said:

I said the same and my friends said I was being dramatic but I feel strongly against this level of control of both punters and traders. 

I guess they might not have cash machines as there’s no genuine need for cash in their new city. Apart from for the dealers! 

It's just really hard to do without it being such a shitty user experience. Place in Liverpool has it and whilst the drinks neatly divided into £5/10 there was a £1 activation fee, so it's was really difficult to not end up with £4 left over without buying water. 

You could get drinks vouchers in advance that made it a bit less shitty buy £50 get £10 free but really that's only £6 free, and they've made sure you spend £50. 

Also the queue to top them up at the start was ridiculous (although bar queues during were fine).

I was at Welcome to Rockville in Florida in November...  They had so many payment options and it was the best setup I've probably ever seen. You could load money onto your wristband (using a website), pay using any other contactless/card method or just use cash. 

Something for everyone. 

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Yeah, it's an absolute arsehole move and to be blunt about it I had previously thought that Boomtown would have been better than that. Even if they pull the scheme, I've lost a lot of respect for them over this.