Cockmill vs wicket

Dreamingofsunnydays

Camped at both when my kids were younger and suggest cockmill regardless of walk times. Wicket is much quieter and there was more space but it so far from everything except John peel if I remember correctly. 

Edited by CurlyPutz
typo

I've never camped in either but from what I've heard Cockmill is better as it has a better location. It's also handier for the kids field.  The downside by all accounts is that it fills up very quickly so unless you are there on the Wednesday morning you'll struggle to get a spot. 

9 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I'm always skeptical of this, is Pyramid to Park really 30 minutes and is it really longer than block 9 to Park?

This doesn't take into account the SE Corner night time none way system.

It all depends which way you walk, the route you take and if bands are changing.

agree with the above. Have been staying in Cockmill since 2009 with family, apart from a couple of solo years when I ventured elsewhere. It’s great for access to most places east/central but is a hike to Park/JP. However it is usually chocker on Wednesday afternoon as most of the central campsites are. Wickets is very good according to friends, loads of room, but as mentioned above it is a a way to the west. But as per the other thread about campsites the walk is not such a big deal as wherever you camp you will end up walking a long way during the festival. 

Never taken kids but have camped close to wicket and there always seems plenty room even on Thursday. It’s surrounded by Heras fencing, has its own toilets and wardens at the entrance. It’s a distance from the kids field entertainment so that’s a disadvantage. As for walking from gate A it’s ok but there are so many car parks that it’s just your luck how far you have to walk. We’ve always managed to get in the orange car park. As others have said,walking through the site no matter where you are going is very much dependent on time of day, weather, direction others are travelling in! 

Ahh that’s brilliant guys, thanks!

Owing to the fact that we are Glastonbury virgins (I’ve never done ONE festival!), how would we go about getting a spot at Cockmills?

We are staying a stones throw away from the eastside postcode given on the website on the Tuesday evening so will be entering from the east. 

What time do we need to leave there would you say and what time to queue from to get into Cockmills?

As Leyrulion said above. If you want to camp in the popular area there is no alternative to getting there early. It's impossible to forecast how big the queues will be to get in the car park, how far the walk from car to gate will be and how long the queues at the gate is. I allow at least 2hrs but on one occasion it took 3hrs and another it was under 30 minutes. If you want a good spot in cockmill I suggest getting there by 7:30am Wednesday latest.

7 hours ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

Ahh that’s brilliant guys, thanks!

Owing to the fact that we are Glastonbury virgins (I’ve never done ONE festival!), how would we go about getting a spot at Cockmills?

We are staying a stones throw away from the eastside postcode given on the website on the Tuesday evening so will be entering from the east. 

What time do we need to leave there would you say and what time to queue from to get into Cockmills?

I’ve joined queue at half five and got in four hours later through gate A.  Though it’s so unpredictable.  Have you considered the worthy view or Sticklinch resale. Easier access for car parking close to preerected tents. Ok not specifically for kids and is a bit expensive but worth considering.   If it’s your first time have a look at Torts Glastonbury guide and also the official site for info on the festival with kids

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

35 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I’ve joined queue at half five and got in four hours later through gate A.  Though it’s so unpredictable.  Have you considered the worthy view or Sticklinch resale. Easier access for car parking close to preerected tents. Ok not specifically for kids and is a bit expensive but worth considering.   If it’s your first time have a look at Torts Glastonbury guide and also the official site for info on the festival with kids

Thanks, Torts Glastonbury guide is really useful.

Thanks for the about worthy view and sticklinch, but Trying to limit the walking too much for the wife, so that rules out them both out unfortunately.

6 hours ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

Thanks for the about worthy view and sticklinch, but Trying to limit the walking too much for the wife, so that rules out them both out unfortunately.

If your looking to limit the walking then Cockmill is for you but as everyone has said, you’ll need to be in as fast as possible.

Weve stayed in Wicket a couple of times and it’s brilliant. If it’s your first time out then would be ideal for you I’d guess. It’s the most spacious part of the festival if you could handle extra walking. Use the lockup’s to avoid trips back to the tents.

The kids field is amazing which is why cockmill is so popular.

15 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I wouldn’t fancy carrying the kids up the hill to WV! 

14 hours ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

If you’re limiting walking then definitely don’t go for WV, but tbh you’re going to be doing a lot of walking wherever you are. 

8 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

If your looking to limit the walking then Cockmill is for you but as everyone has said, you’ll need to be in as fast as possible.

Weve stayed in Wicket a couple of times and it’s brilliant. If it’s your first time out then would be ideal for you I’d guess. It’s the most spacious part of the festival if you could handle extra walking. Use the lockup’s to avoid trips back to the tents.

The kids field is amazing which is why cockmill is so popular.

You could always take bikes? 

On 1/7/2022 at 8:47 PM, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

Hi

Just wondering in walking terms how long it would take to walk the pyramid stage from cockmill vs wicket?

How long does it take to get from the park from gate b to cockmill

how long does it take from the car park at gate a to wickets?

In answer to your original questions:-

Cockmill to the Pyramid is no greater than 10mins: maybe even 5mins if you walk briskly. It's downhill all the way from the entry to Cockmill.

Wicket to the Pyramid is probably 20mins+ and is both uphill and downhill over stoney tracks.

Both Cockmill and Wicket are close to their respective entry gate: Cockmill being literally just inside Gate B whilst Wicket is 5mins from Gate A max.

In a later post @Dreamingofsunnydays you mentioned staying Tuesday local to the east of the festival site and entering from the east. This almost in itself limits your choice to Cockmill as the trek from the east side car parks to Wicket is one to be avoided at all cost, especially with children in tow. We found this out the hard way. It's a long rough hilly trudge😣

We have also approached the site from the east and detoured to use the West car parks to allow entry at Gate A. This is something I wouldn't particularly advise doing as the detour is time consuming and you could be battling through queues in the east only to join a queue in the west.

Regarding the walk from a car park to your chosen entry gate, this is variable depending on where you get parked up. You don't have a choice in this, you are at the behest of the traffic stewards. The shortest walk I have had to joining the queue at the entry gate was 10mins, the longest 40mins. You're also carrying your camping gear.

Once joining the queue at your chosen entry gate Wednesday morning expect to take at least an hour to get into the festival site. Treat anything less as a bonus, more becomes a chore......though a very worth while one.

Enjoy.....though be prepared to rough it 😉

ps If you arrive before or just after the gates have first opened expect be queuing for 1hr+++

Edited by Lycra