Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

2 hours ago, nikkic said:

I actually think I’ve only got one shot at seeing Haai too (Stonebridge Thurs).

I'm planning on seeing HAAi on Sunday night in San Remo but we all know what happens with plans. 

If I'm in the area I'll definitely try for Stonebridge but I don't hold out much hope when it comes to music on Thursday; I've been burnt too many times. 

17 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

Fwiw, I'm 38 and only really "properly" started raving 3-4 years ago.  I rarely feel out of place, occasionally go to stuff on my own.  At institutions like Fabric there'll very often be 60+ year olds, and I think most secretly hope they'll be that person (if you like the scene enough then you should).  This'll be my first Glasto - slightly intimidated by the scale but its nice knowing there'll be plenty of older ravers (this is normally one of the first things I assess when walking into a club).

All that said, I was out with my girlfriend at the Four Tet/FloPo Drumsheds recently and a friend of a friend (I think he was mid-late 20s) said to me "I think its so great that you and your wife still come out raving".  It burns deeper every time I think about it

Awww Ed that’s hilarious 🤣 And yes I agree a sign of a great club is people of all ages. After all many DJs are hitting 60 now. I recently went to the ‘king of the beats’ night an amazing breakbeat line up Stanton’s/plumps/krafts and the atmosphere was so friendly I felt so at home. It was my first proper club night after lockdown and was everything that I want from a club night. 

Sounds like you are going to love Glastonbury! It really is the BEST!

1 hour ago, Grinding aftertaste said:

I'm 38 and haven't been raving since Glastonbury 5 years ago, so I'm feeling a little anxious at this prospect. Only as old as you feel though eh?? 😁

Glastonbury is the perfect place to go raving tbh, age isnt a factor on the farm

6 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

A friend went to Parklife.

Amelie Lens, Prydz, Four Tet & Suprisingly Ewan McVicar were the highlights. He said McVicar caught his ear as he was going to another stage, but stayed there all through. Acid based techno in the main. He said ge was surprised.

His review of the festival.... "Never again. I'm 31 & felt out of place. The crowd were very young, but they were friendly. The atmosphere was just bland, they were all on their phones & filming everything. I didn't feel threatened though. It was much friendlier than people make it out to be. I had to walk to Rochdale Road to get a taxi too cos there were no trams. That took well over an hour"

Did Parklife last year with @sjseabass and most of our usual Glastonbury crew, 24-32 so not old by any means. Even my little brother, the youngest, felt like an absolute fish out of water. We were at New Order there on the Friday and the difference was night and day. 

Not a bad time, but we’ll never go back.

I only went to Parklife once - maybe 2015? - and it would take something massive to get me to go back. Never felt threatened or anything but it just wasn't a good vibe. 

I'll give it to them though - they always pull off a pretty good lineup. 

1 hour ago, Grinding aftertaste said:

I'm 38 and haven't been raving since Glastonbury 5 years ago, so I'm feeling a little anxious at this prospect. Only as old as you feel though eh?? 😁

All of my group are into their 40's and still go well enough. 

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I can't even bring myself to tell you how old I am, bud, but suffice it to say that I could almost be your parent (well, technically I could!). 

There are plenty of older ravers on the Farm, including plenty in this thread. We're all gonna be fine. Remember @Fishman's marathon-not-sprint mantra and we'll all still be there for Batu in the Temple at 0330h on the Monday morning!

Ben
x

I'm opting for a slightly calmer and well rounded Felix Dickinson Genosys finish again I think!  That was brilliant in 2019. 

1 hour ago, idontgetoutmuch said:

Awww Ed that’s hilarious 🤣recently went to the ‘king of the beats’ night an amazing breakbeat line up Stanton’s/plumps/krafts and the atmosphere was so friendly I felt so at home. It was my first proper club night after lockdown and was everything that I want from a club night

Amazing to hear all these affirmations of fellow old (school) ravers, the anxiety is banished! 

Breaks was the soundtrack of my younger years clubbing, so hoping to catch Plumps or Stanton's if possible. And loving hearing these sounds coming back through again - was listening to the Overmono fabric mix and it took me back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ed90 said:

Fwiw, I'm 38 and only really "properly" started raving 3-4 years ago.  I rarely feel out of place, occasionally go to stuff on my own.  At institutions like Fabric there'll very often be 60+ year olds, and I think most secretly hope they'll be that person (if you like the scene enough then you should).  This'll be my first Glasto - slightly intimidated by the scale but its nice knowing there'll be plenty of older ravers (this is normally one of the first things I assess when walking into a club).

All that said, I was out with my girlfriend at the Four Tet/FloPo Drumsheds recently and a friend of a friend (I think he was mid-late 20s) said to me "I think its so great that you and your wife still come out raving".  It burns deeper every time I think about it

Ha love this story, in 2016 on the Thursday I was in Stonebridge when I would have been 35 I shared something I had with a guy next to me and he started chatting and asked how old I was, I proceeded to tell him and then for the next two hours he would occasionally come and hug me and ask if I was really 35. Can’t decide if this was a compliment or not but my mate found it extremely funny.

this will be my first Glasto since becoming a dad and turning 40 but I actually think the lack of sleep over the last 2 years will have prepared me for it well

17 minutes ago, Barneym said:

this will be my first Glasto since becoming a dad and turning 40 but I actually think the lack of sleep over the last 2 years will have prepared me for it well

Snap! I've now got 4 years of running on fumes under my belt so fully expecting to see at least once sunrise this year.

1 hour ago, TiZuff said:

if anyone here was at primavera. i went to watch black coffee and the set he did there was so different to what he played on youtube etc. id love to see more that type of stuff.. anybody got any suggestions for glsstonbury?

Hmmmm, sounds a touch progressive for BC. There's not a huge amount at the festival, sadly we've not seen the likes of Eric Prydz, Christoph, Henry Saiz on the farm for some time. Nick Warren would be a decent shout at Funkingham Palace on the Thursday, Franky Wah is on the Glade at exactly the same time as Nick Warren(!), Sasha (Thursday Glade) and John Digweed (Friday Glade) might venture into prog territory for a bit.

There are loads of acts that'll drop some nice melodic hooks their sets, HAAi, Job Jobse, Four Tet, Sofia Kourtesis to name a few. Not exactly like Prydz, et al,but it might scratch your itch.

4 hours ago, Ed90 said:

Amen brother, i'm pushing 42 and still love it. A bit more selective about who I see these days but there's definitely still a clubbing scene for us older lot.

19 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Hmmmm, sounds a touch progressive for BC. There's not a huge amount at the festival, sadly we've not seen the likes of Eric Prydz, Christoph, Henry Saiz on the farm for some time. Nick Warren would be a decent shout at Funkingham Palace on the Thursday, Franky Wah is on the Glade at exactly the same time as Nick Warren(!), Sasha (Thursday Glade) and John Digweed (Friday Glade) might venture into prog territory for a bit.

There are loads of acts that'll drop some nice melodic hooks their sets, HAAi, Job Jobse, Four Tet, Sofia Kourtesis to name a few. Not exactly like Prydz, et al,but it might scratch your itch.

thanks for the reply. saw kourtesis at prima also she was great. haai i like and enjoy. will be catching franky wah pre camalphat so thats good to know! 

23 hours ago, Fishman said:

Having just said the above ...

Thursday is busy everywhere, especially earlier in the evening, so it is sometimes best to stick around one area.

Friday will be ok except Honey D which will have loooonng queues anytime after headline time.

Saturday is possible but think about your dancing feet. It's a long way from Macca to Fol. then back to A.E. then back to Sol.

Sunday should be fine.

Whatever, you'll have a blast.

Super helpful thanks! I've just seen Fatboy Slim has been added to Gas Tower after Fol so I might end up staying in that area and skip AE

49 minutes ago, Green Croc said:

Super helpful thanks! I've just seen Fatboy Slim has been added to Gas Tower after Fol so I might end up staying in that area and skip AE

Fat Boy has always been on the GT line-up, IIRC. And it's going to be rammo! Genuinely, the depth of highly popular electronic/dance names scattered around all late-night areas of the Farm this year is quite remarkable. Should make for things being equally nicely distributed and absolutely jumping all over the place. One for the ages.

Ben

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Gutted Camelphat are clashing with Nick Warren. John Digweed is amazing. I would add Solomun on to that list as he certainly plays his fair share. Jamie Jones maybe? But yeah disappointing lack of  deep/progressive house (and breaks).  So much techno around everywhere this year. I mean I like it but to be seems a bit disproportionate considering all the other genres.

Edited by rgalbraith

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

New Jon Hopkins track out and by wording in his recent email, it'll probably give us a good flavour of what his DJ set is going to be like.

Tasty. 

Woah! That'll do! I've been wanting to see ANNA for bloody ages, and so if this is putting a marker down for his 90 minutes in San Remo, I'll be a very happy little dancer. 

Ben

Edit - that sounds like I think I'll be seeing ANNA as well! Obviously, I just mean that a collab with her was always going to be up my Straße. 

Edited by bennyhana22