Jump to content

Electronica/Dance


bennyhana22

Recommended Posts

On 10/28/2021 at 1:57 PM, Zacko said:

Definitely seems that way doesn't it? A real shame. The countless sweaty nights and early mornings I've had in that place ❤️ 

I really hope it’s not the case. It’s a great club, but they do seem to be swimming against the tide. There’s nothing else of that scale in Bristol / South Wales either. We’re drowning in shitty tech house in Wales. 
 

As a positive they’re announcing their schedule for the new year this Monday coming. Hoping to head over for a night or two as I haven’t managed any since they’ve reopened. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/29/2021 at 12:52 PM, stuie said:

Thoughts on this? 

Capture2.JPG

Obviously it would be the Saturday that I would look at, and when I saw it last week I was a bit...depressed/frustrated.

It's just the same old names all the time. Why is that? Is it because the promotors know that these names sell tickets? It just seems that the (techno) scene has moved inexorably towards line-ups that cater for people who aren't that fussed about dancing to a really innovative or adventurous set. They just want the 4/4 bangers from names they recognise. I'm not articulating this very well, and I also have to acknowledge that we are looking at one of the best known UK summer dance festivals, rather than a nicely grubby underground rave at a small venue run by those who really 'care' about the culture.

Typically long-winded from me, sorry, but yeah, all a bit same old same old. I'm excited about the WHP event I'm going to four weeks today because I know that the choices I make will often take me away from the superstar-DJ-casual-raver-attractors...

I'm not being snobbish and elitist about this, I promise, I just wish there were more opportunities for me to see artists who understand what makes a techno rave, in the way that I do.

I'm open to anyone @ing me about this!

Ben
x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@bennyhana22 I went to junction 2 on its first year I think? It was interesting. I guess the production was good for a London event and that stage under the bridge is something special.

However the crowd was awful and it felt like too much of a mix match of artists. Each area seemed to have its own clientele and there was no cohesion in the audience. While I love festivals because you get your moneys worth by seeing as many bands as you can - I can’t say this is equivalent for DJs. My preference has always been for well catered lineups with less DJs but longer sets. An event with only 2/3 DJs or an all night long is my preference over 10 DJs and 1 hour sets. 
 

All strokes for different folks but I feel when you go to these day festivals you come back feeling like you’ve seen half a set? Not the full shebang?

They are good for gatherings with friends but if you are after the set of your life you won’t find it!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

@bennyhana22 I went to junction 2 on its first year I think? It was interesting. I guess the production was good for a London event and that stage under the bridge is something special.

However the crowd was awful and it felt like too much of a mix match of artists. Each area seemed to have its own clientele and there was no cohesion in the audience. While I love festivals because you get your moneys worth by seeing as many bands as you can - I can’t say this is equivalent for DJs. My preference has always been for well catered lineups with less DJs but longer sets. An event with only 2/3 DJs or an all night long is my preference over 10 DJs and 1 hour sets. 
 

All strokes for different folks but I feel when you go to these day festivals you come back feeling like you’ve seen half a set? Not the full shebang?

They are good for gatherings with friends but if you are after the set of your life you won’t find it!

Yeah, agree with this a lot, @Matt42 

There was lots to enjoy about Waterworks festival in September, good sound on a number of the stages etc, but I found to really hard to get to, get into and see out a full set. That was partly my fault as I probably tried to see too many DJs and so was bouncing between stages too much (Moi? Surely not...), but also maybe that it wasn't quite my ideal environment. I love dancing outside, but I also 'have' to be right in a crowd to feel part of the set. That was impossible at WW without being in a position where it was so rammed that dancing was impossible. I can't understand why so many people seem content to be shoulder to shoulder with no way of moving more than an inch, at a rave. Surely that's missing the whole point, isn't it? That leads me back to the (gentle and non-pompous) challenge that so, so many people now seem to go to events to be as close as possible to their idol DJ, rather than go to immerse themselves in the dance and the music. Ho hum! 

1. we defo need to get at least one set meet-up of threaders at GF2022, so we can put out philosophy into practice 

2. we defo have to get @Supernintendo Chalmers to GF2022...

Ben

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@bennyhana22glastonbury seems to escape this I feel because you’ve already had a full day of good music I don’t feel like everything is riding on the DJ sets at the end of the day. It’s not just a nice to have but it’s not make or break.

Houghton Festival was fantastic because people played and they played long, and you could tell the DJs we’re settling into the sets they were playing not feeling like they had to clock watch. The crowd was also patient too … and that’s something I just don’t see at the day fests. Crowds are looking for that insta moment or the DJ to play that song everyone is playing this summer. 

Plus they are always a bunch of students who are there to compete with each other on how many drugs they can take. Not to say we all haven’t been there before but it really takes everything away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zacko said:

Joy O and Evan Baggs tonight in an old torpedo factory, felt like this one has properly crept up on me! 

Somehow never seen Joy even though he's probably my favourite producer all things considered. This could be a good one. 

Hope it's excellent, pal.

Saw Joy O in a brilliant venue in Birmingham (one of the now-departed Rainbow Venues 😞) on a bill with Scuba and Object. All three were on fire and one of my favourite ever nights.

Ben

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hope it's excellent, pal.

Saw Joy O in a brilliant venue in Birmingham (one of the now-departed Rainbow Venues 😞) on a bill with Scuba and Object. All three were on fire and one of my favourite ever nights.

Ben

Oosh, beautiful stuff!

Had a great time last night, Joy O was a vibe. I was most surprised by Dar Disku on the little outdoor stage though (well, a tent with lightboxes for walls, fantastic setup). They played an incredible set of Middle Eastern and Arabic influenced house/techno/disco sounds, the place was absolutely bumping. Really really original, and a proper breath of fresh air. If any of you get a chance to see them, I'd very much recommended!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zacko said:

Oosh, beautiful stuff!

Had a great time last night, Joy O was a vibe. I was most surprised by Dar Disku on the little outdoor stage though (well, a tent with lightboxes for walls, fantastic setup). They played an incredible set of Middle Eastern and Arabic influenced house/techno/disco sounds, the place was absolutely bumping. Really really original, and a proper breath of fresh air. If any of you get a chance to see them, I'd very much recommended!  

Dar Disku are fantastic — I heartily recommend Moving Still too if you're in the mood for more of that kind of sound. It's electrifying when pulled off. Reckon you'll dig this: https://djmag.com/features/fresh-kicks-152-moving-still

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/30/2021 at 3:24 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Yeah, agree with this a lot, @Matt42 

There was lots to enjoy about Waterworks festival in September, good sound on a number of the stages etc, but I found to really hard to get to, get into and see out a full set. That was partly my fault as I probably tried to see too many DJs and so was bouncing between stages too much (Moi? Surely not...), but also maybe that it wasn't quite my ideal environment. I love dancing outside, but I also 'have' to be right in a crowd to feel part of the set. That was impossible at WW without being in a position where it was so rammed that dancing was impossible. I can't understand why so many people seem content to be shoulder to shoulder with no way of moving more than an inch, at a rave. Surely that's missing the whole point, isn't it? That leads me back to the (gentle and non-pompous) challenge that so, so many people now seem to go to events to be as close as possible to their idol DJ, rather than go to immerse themselves in the dance and the music. Ho hum! 

1. we defo need to get at least one set meet-up of threaders at GF2022, so we can put out philosophy into practice 

2. we defo have to get @Supernintendo Chalmers to GF2022...

Ben

Ahhh, that's very kind of you, Ben. I do enjoy this thread, my favourite on the site in all honesty, full of passionate, knowledgeable and totally unpretentious people. I love hearing about everyone's weekend adventures and there's not a week that goes by without me discovering something new, thanks to you guys. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Dar Disku are fantastic — I heartily recommend Moving Still too if you're in the mood for more of that kind of sound. It's electrifying when pulled off. Reckon you'll dig this: https://djmag.com/features/fresh-kicks-152-moving-still

Ooft this is fucking great! Thank you.  

It was so refreshing to just have a different sound pumping out through the speakers last night. Completely stole the show! One of them ones where you could be stone cold sober and still be absolutely causing it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Should have been in Budapest for NYE but sacked it off before Omicron was a thing. Considered a few events in London and Bristol but couldn't be bothered in the end. Never been a huge fan of the NYE hype. Not got any club nights in the books yet, just waiting to see how everything plays out, post-Christmas. I have a handful of gigs already booked but I'm reluctant to commit to anything new. I suppose my first official foray into anything electronic would be Primavera weekend two in June, and as amazing that'll be, that length of time without a club or warehouse event is quite depressing. That all said, I'm more confident about the situation than I was this time last year. 

Hope you all had a great Christmas, and whatever you do over NYE, be safe and give us your rave reports afterwards! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/27/2021 at 2:16 PM, Ddiamondd said:

DJing tonight at The Cause. Will be sad to see the club go, comfortably one of London's best. I'm glad — as far as we know now — they won't be kneecapped by restrictions on their final week before shutting down.

That was really, really, really good. Hugely heartening to see a six-room club packed out and such a young, vibrant, diverse, queer and discerning crowd. The music was adventurous and people were scaling the benches, speakers and walls with every surge of breakbeats or jackhammering kicks. We even dropped The Futureheads for a laugh at 3am and it worked ('pro' tip: Hounds of Love's call-and-response intro mixes perfectly with jungle)

The Cause were stringent on the door too with LFT checks so there was a feeling of calm and safety, even with in-venue security looking the other way at blatant extracurriculars being taken all over the place.

Quite a few kink-ravers out in force rocking leather dog masks and harnesses etc, which doubles up as a nice bit of covid security if that's your thing.

Really did away with so much of the accumulated December gloom in one fell sweep.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Broadly speaking I'm glad we have no further restrictions coming before 2022. Anecdotally and statistically, omicron seems so much weaker (esp if you've vaxxed), so to not kneecap the service/entertainment industry looks like the right call.

Being in Ireland, Holland, Germany or any of the nations who routinely slam venues shut at the slightest hint of a wave must be hair-tearingly frustrating right now. Obviously Boris' mob are fuelled by vested and interests and wanting to do what they please all the time, but although it's Fuck The Tories each and every day... dare I say they've got this one right.

A stopped clock and all that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

That was really, really, really good. Hugely heartening to see a six-room club packed out and such a young, vibrant, diverse, queer and discerning crowd. The music was adventurous and people were scaling the benches, speakers and walls with every surge of breakbeats or jackhammering kicks. We even dropped The Futureheads for a laugh at 3am and it worked ('pro' tip: Hounds of Love's call-and-response intro mixes perfectly with jungle)

The Cause were stringent on the door too with LFT checks so there was a feeling of calm and safety, even with in-venue security looking the other way at blatant extracurriculars being taken all over the place.

Quite a few kink-ravers out in force rocking leather dog masks and harnesses etc, which doubles up as a nice bit of covid security if that's your thing.

Really did away with so much of the accumulated December gloom in one fell sweep.

Was this the free rave? I'm going to the NYD final Adonis at the Cause on Saturday. it's going to be real emotional saying goodbye to a venue that has provided so many fond memories.

Won't miss that cloakroom queue in winter though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tremas said:

Was this the free rave? I'm going to the NYD final Adonis at the Cause on Saturday. it's going to be real emotional saying goodbye to a venue that has provided so many fond memories.

First batch of tickets were free yep, clever tactic to spark momentum which looks to have worked: The Cause shifted 650 paid tickets on Xmas & Boxing Day alone, just for Monday's event. Seems they're off to a flyer now for the whole final week.

That NYD Adonis will be incredible, let us know how you find it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Nothing amongst this lot to get too excited about but it'd be nice to see Felix Da Housecat, Oakey, Dub FX and Saunderson on the Farm. A trip down memory lane with Sanchez, Terry and JPL would make for a fun evening somewhere though. 

Screenshot_20211231-191121.thumb.png.b8bbb25b89dc40458968c14bf59219f8.png

I'm bamboozled at the concept of what 'VIP' might mean at an event like that 😆

Ben

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NYE was fairly uneventful (we DJ'd a mates house party) but made the super last minute decision to go to Strange Brew last night for Chris Farrell, Ellie Stokes, and some others.

Wowww, so fucking good! Incredible and super friendly crowd where everyone was just out for a great time. Me and my flat mate two man missioned it so we were fully on that meeting new people vibe and it happened so effortlessly. One of those ones where you could dance on your own for awhile and then just meet a new pal instantly. Can't believe this was my first time at Strange Brew, just as I'm about to go to South America for three months. Already missing the place.

The tunes were potentially the most on point for any event I've ever been to as well. Some proper heads down techno, some naughty 303 acid wobblers, New Order, Blondie, Womack & Womack, even a bit of punk and Bronski Beat as the last song - it had it ALL. 

Special mention to this lovely little Kylie refix: 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   1 member




×
×
  • Create New...