Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Yeah god I’m excited for printworks. Still wish I was going to today rather than tomorrow, but just can’t wait to be inside a proper venue again. 

although I will say Printworks was the last venue I was in back in Feb 2020, so I hope I don’t start the pandemic all over again…

21 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Yeah god I’m excited for printworks. Still wish I was going to today rather than tomorrow, but just can’t wait to be inside a proper venue again. 

although I will say Printworks was the last venue I was in back in Feb 2020, so I hope I don’t start the pandemic all over again…

What better way to book-end the last 19 months! It'll be like the pandemic never existed! Have a great one! 

31 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Have a great weekend, electronauts! My Saturday will be slightly more low-brow, enjoying Balearic-inspired house classics spun by legends Todd Terry and Roger Sanchez at an old converted lido, Tropicana in Weston-super-Mare with Cafe Mambo

That sounds Great. Good to see the Tropicana being used

Enjoy

Edited by fred quimby
  • Thanks 1

Alfresco Disco tickets went on sale today for the 4th of December date. They're using that absolutely insane new venue underneath Bristol City Centre that they used last time - would highly recommend! Just got ten tickets for me and mates. 

Funnily enough I'm also going to their smaller residency tonight. Should be a good little intimate boogie, and it's only round the corner. 

10 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Alfresco Disco tickets went on sale today for the 4th of December date. They're using that absolutely insane new venue underneath Bristol City Centre that they used last time - would highly recommend! Just got ten tickets for me and mates. 

Funnily enough I'm also going to their smaller residency tonight. Should be a good little intimate boogie, and it's only round the corner. 

Oooh, I remember you mentioning this. I might be up for this one...

8 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Getting pathetically excited for Printworks now.

I'll be kicking about in a Power Trip t-shirt, only metalhead in a club full of Four Tetters. Say hi if you see someone groaning loudly when they unveil a Nile Rodgers DJ set

Let us know the lineup! I know Moxie and Saoirse are doing a B2B set 8.30-10

Edited by MaxPower

So in the end it was the following. I might be missing some here, and not in order, but:

Moxie b2b Saoirse, India Jordan, Josey Rebelle, HAAi, TSHA, Jayda G (for 45 minutes…), Eclair Fifi, Sherelle b2b Jossy Mitsu

I can’t lie: the night didn’t really flow and a lot of people around me were very sour about the lack of clarity. It’ll be easier tonight with straight techno wallopers but the stylistic divergence was actually a bit of a disadvantage. Good % of the audience left early.

That’s a great bill, and obviously the tunes were tip-top (especially Sherelle and JM’s b2b), but I can’t help but feel they cranked the dial marked ‘secrecy’ too hard, to the detriment of the night.

31 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

So in the end it was the following. I might be missing some here, and not in order, but:

Moxie b2b Saoirse, India Jordan, Josey Rebelle, HAAi, TSHA, Jayda G (for 45 minutes…), Eclair Fifi, Sherelle b2b Jossy Mitsu

I can’t lie: the night didn’t really flow and a lot of people around me were very sour about the lack of clarity. It’ll be easier tonight with straight techno wallopers but the stylistic divergence was actually a bit of a disadvantage. Good % of the audience left early.

That’s a great bill, and obviously the tunes were tip-top (especially Sherelle and JM’s b2b), but I can’t help but feel they cranked the dial marked ‘secrecy’ too hard, to the detriment of the night.

It was so disappointing. The music was pretty average on the most part (TSHA and Elkka were good), kinda boring music that didn't flow from set to set. Heard some real clunking mixing too which is kinda embarrassing. As far as I can tell Jayda G didn't even bother mixing, just turned the end of the track's volume down and raised the new track. The short set times were also baffling, people milling around not knowing what to do which just killed the atmosphere. Def agree they took the secrecy thing too hard.

Also seems a shame for the first all female lineup to be on a night where they didn't reveal who was playing. They should be celebrating and promoting that not keeping it a secret!

7 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

As far as I can tell Jayda G didn't even bother mixing, just turned the end of the track's volume down and raised the new track. The short set times were also baffling, people milling around not knowing what to do which just killed the atmosphere.

Yeah that is sort of her thing — it's proper old-school Mancuso selection, you get Beatrice Dillon and Floating Points doing it too at times. It does have its merits, but it just can't work with a truncated set time. There's no groove, and like you say, no consistency. People weren't in the mood or ready to be generous, because the organisation had got everyone's backs up.

10 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

The music was pretty average on the most part (TSHA and Elkka were good), kinda boring music that didn't flow from set to set. Heard some real clunking mixing too which is kinda embarrassing.

I remember Afrodeutsche playing too, she was strong. Maybe it was more my kind of thing overall, but I agree — I guess you could call a lot of what got played 'edging' tunes. Lot of build and breaks, not too much release.

8 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Also seems a shame for the first all female lineup to be on a night where they didn't reveal who was playing. They should be celebrating and promoting that not keeping it a secret!

That's a very very good point as well. The main takeaway people have online is that they were mis-sold on the concept, and the progressive intent behind the event has got lost. Lot of people online seem to still not even know who they saw. A waste.

47 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Hoping to catch some of Jossy Mitsu on Saturday at Waterworks, though might miss her as my pal arrives in London a little later than me. She seems ace.

Sorry it wasn't quite the night you were hoping for, guys.

Ben

14 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hoping to catch some of Jossy Mitsu on Saturday at Waterworks, though might miss her as my pal arrives in London a little later than me. She seems ace.

Sorry it wasn't quite the night you were hoping for, guys.

Ben

Ah cheers Ben - honestly, the people online who were expecting Carl Cox or Nina Kraviz are the ones tied up in knots. It was my bag musically, but the atmosphere was noticeably tense and below-par. Missed opportunity.

Waterworks will have the same music more or less, but people allowed to make informed choices about what they fancy. It’ll be a blast.

Front left for Jossy it is!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Tbh, that’s a line up of a lot of DJs I like, and is my vibe, but it’s pretty light? I really thought they’d have someone bigger ie honey Dijon.

1 minute ago, MaxPower said:

Tbh, that’s a line up of a lot of DJs I like, and is my vibe, but it’s pretty light? I really thought they’d have someone bigger ie honey Dijon.

I'd say HAAi and Jayda G are headliner levels now but yeah, not having a concrete superstar probably entrenched feeling that Printworks had sold their own regular crowd up the river to some degree.

I know a few artists who were unhappy with how it went. They were kept in the dark about the line-up too. All a bit scrappy.

Printworks was interesting.

I'm pretty disappointed they decided to still keep the lineups / set times secret even once you were actually there. I saw once ticker tape screen for the new room, which had the names on, but couldn't find anything for the main room. Just feel like even some posters in the toilets with names & set times would have made it more interesting to know what was actually going on, but I suppose they wanted you to follow your ears not your eyes & DJ names.

The switches & handovers were actually pretty bad. No flow, very clunky genre mixing, for an event that was advertised as a "techno/house" night. If you're going to advertise the night as theme, remind the DJs to stick to it? 

Most redeeming factor was Inkwells. The new room downstairs. Felt like a Printworks: The Club Another super long narrow room, but with a low ceiling. Ended up spending most of my time there. 

Also a few layout changes, most noticeably for the women's toilets, sending the ladies on a super long zig zag around. I assume with the new room, the capacity has increased, so whenever the venue is back to it's fullest, the queues might get painful. 

They also put stickers on both cameras on your phones, Berlin style. Appreciate the intent. Think Fabric is doing it too now. 

They did set up a solution for the lack of night tubes, they were selling coach tickets that were going either North or South London for £4. Not sure how many more events they have planned to go past midnight, but was pretty thoughtful of them to plan that. Communicating that to their audience beforehand would have been preferable. 

A bit unrelated but ended up just drinking as wasn't feeling up for anything more, same for Bicep actually. But that's just my own mental state at the moment, just didn't feel right for either night, maybe Waterworks will feel right. 

Still really enjoyed letting loose and moving my feet 🕺 

Edited by Acid Loafers
  • Upvote 3

Have to say, Saturday printworks was absolutely incredible, up there will the best club nights I’ve ever been at (even taking into account the UK’s shortage of certain substances).

Mella Dee - Patrick Topping - Skream - Fatboy Slim was absolutely brilliant.

I had a sneaking suspicion that fatboy would be there a few times, given the description, the reference to Eats Everything’s label, the fact he was free and the fact hes a sentimental type who I thought would like to play something like printworks reopening (ie wanting to play every Glastonbury stage), but I kept dismissing it as I presumed he would have better things to do than play printworks for 2 Bob.

But when the rumours spread he was gonna be headlining the hype in the place got pretty strong.

before that though, Patrick Topping’s set was just incredible, and as always the visuals in printworks are truly mind blowing, other dimension type stuff. Topping is one I’m not gonna miss on a festival line up again, loads of bangers, took us on an absolute journey, plus playing all the stuff from his label and a few other big tracks like stuff from Prospa (I think, although I may have caught a bit of their set from earlier and gotten them mixed up?), Ewan macvicar, eats everything and Shermanology, great vibes.

Fatboy’s set was one of the heavier sets I’ve seen of his, and definitely the best. Got the vibe, lights pretty much on for Praise You and Right Here Right Now, with great audio really capturing the “return to clubbing” feeling.

The secret lineup thing worked a lot better, they had the names of the DJs occasionally built into the visuals, so no confusion over who was playing. Mella Dee - Topping - Skream - FatBoy flowed perfectly and the vibe was on point, so no complaints there. Unfortunate for those Friday attendees who had a different experience.

Genuinely brilliant, lovely to way to complete the circle from my last “mega club” experience back in 2020.

Edited by MaxPower
  • Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

The secret lineup thing worked a lot better, they had the names of the DJs occasionally built into the visuals, so no confusion over who was playing. Mella Dee - Topping - Skream - FatBoy flowed perfectly and the vibe was on point, so no complaints there. Unfortunate for those Friday attendees who had a different experience.

Genuinely brilliant, lovely to way to complete the circle from my last “mega club” experience back in 2020.

Nice one! Glad to hear this.

I had a strong suspicion Saturday would pull off — you know what you're getting with that lot in a row: big beefy tunes, energy and charm.

Friday was too stylistically broad for its own good and fundamentally, Josey Rebelle and Elkka aren't ready-made crowd pleasers for 10,000 in the same way as Topping and Fatboy. Looks like they improved the sound, visual and signposting too. Bet Printworks are breathing a sigh of relief today before heading into round 3.