Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

So in the end it was the following. I might be missing some here, and not in order, but:

Moxie b2b Saoirse, India Jordan, Josey Rebelle, HAAi, TSHA, Jayda G (for 45 minutes…), Eclair Fifi, Sherelle b2b Jossy Mitsu

I can’t lie: the night didn’t really flow and a lot of people around me were very sour about the lack of clarity. It’ll be easier tonight with straight techno wallopers but the stylistic divergence was actually a bit of a disadvantage. Good % of the audience left early.

That’s a great bill, and obviously the tunes were tip-top (especially Sherelle and JM’s b2b), but I can’t help but feel they cranked the dial marked ‘secrecy’ too hard, to the detriment of the night.

Tbh, that’s a line up of a lot of DJs I like, and is my vibe, but it’s pretty light? I really thought they’d have someone bigger ie honey Dijon.

Printworks was interesting.

I'm pretty disappointed they decided to still keep the lineups / set times secret even once you were actually there. I saw once ticker tape screen for the new room, which had the names on, but couldn't find anything for the main room. Just feel like even some posters in the toilets with names & set times would have made it more interesting to know what was actually going on, but I suppose they wanted you to follow your ears not your eyes & DJ names.

The switches & handovers were actually pretty bad. No flow, very clunky genre mixing, for an event that was advertised as a "techno/house" night. If you're going to advertise the night as theme, remind the DJs to stick to it? 

Most redeeming factor was Inkwells. The new room downstairs. Felt like a Printworks: The Club Another super long narrow room, but with a low ceiling. Ended up spending most of my time there. 

Also a few layout changes, most noticeably for the women's toilets, sending the ladies on a super long zig zag around. I assume with the new room, the capacity has increased, so whenever the venue is back to it's fullest, the queues might get painful. 

They also put stickers on both cameras on your phones, Berlin style. Appreciate the intent. Think Fabric is doing it too now. 

They did set up a solution for the lack of night tubes, they were selling coach tickets that were going either North or South London for £4. Not sure how many more events they have planned to go past midnight, but was pretty thoughtful of them to plan that. Communicating that to their audience beforehand would have been preferable. 

A bit unrelated but ended up just drinking as wasn't feeling up for anything more, same for Bicep actually. But that's just my own mental state at the moment, just didn't feel right for either night, maybe Waterworks will feel right. 

Still really enjoyed letting loose and moving my feet 🕺 

Edited by Acid Loafers
  • Upvote 3

Have to say, Saturday printworks was absolutely incredible, up there will the best club nights I’ve ever been at (even taking into account the UK’s shortage of certain substances).

Mella Dee - Patrick Topping - Skream - Fatboy Slim was absolutely brilliant.

I had a sneaking suspicion that fatboy would be there a few times, given the description, the reference to Eats Everything’s label, the fact he was free and the fact hes a sentimental type who I thought would like to play something like printworks reopening (ie wanting to play every Glastonbury stage), but I kept dismissing it as I presumed he would have better things to do than play printworks for 2 Bob.

But when the rumours spread he was gonna be headlining the hype in the place got pretty strong.

before that though, Patrick Topping’s set was just incredible, and as always the visuals in printworks are truly mind blowing, other dimension type stuff. Topping is one I’m not gonna miss on a festival line up again, loads of bangers, took us on an absolute journey, plus playing all the stuff from his label and a few other big tracks like stuff from Prospa (I think, although I may have caught a bit of their set from earlier and gotten them mixed up?), Ewan macvicar, eats everything and Shermanology, great vibes.

Fatboy’s set was one of the heavier sets I’ve seen of his, and definitely the best. Got the vibe, lights pretty much on for Praise You and Right Here Right Now, with great audio really capturing the “return to clubbing” feeling.

The secret lineup thing worked a lot better, they had the names of the DJs occasionally built into the visuals, so no confusion over who was playing. Mella Dee - Topping - Skream - FatBoy flowed perfectly and the vibe was on point, so no complaints there. Unfortunate for those Friday attendees who had a different experience.

Genuinely brilliant, lovely to way to complete the circle from my last “mega club” experience back in 2020.

Edited by MaxPower
  • Upvote 2

Whp dont have an official resale site as far as im aware. You would be best to use ticketswap app / website but if event isnt sold out and you have spares you will likely take a fair loss on your ticket to sell it. Conversely if youre looking to buy for one that isnt sold out you may get a bargain.

I went to WHP on saturday, not one of my best ones honestly. Concourse room was where all the big hitter DJs were and it is the best room but the depot (main mega huge room) didnt have a strong enough lineup to coax people away from concourse so it was absolutely rammed from the moment we arrived & all night. Not the recipe for a great time. 90 min sets i find too short and you dont end up seeing much of each artist and the likes of floating points were playing way too hard for my liking. Went off to see greg wilson in star & garter upstairs room and had the more intimate & spacious vibe i was looking for. The kids probably loved concourse but wasnt doing it for me that night - too hectic.

missed mr scruff too as clash with greg. Whole thing left me a bit miffed tbh. Im going to stick with smaller stuff from now on aside from homobloc. Lesson learned.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

Whp dont have an official resale site as far as im aware. You would be best to use ticketswap app / website but if event isnt sold out and you have spares you will likely take a fair loss on your ticket to sell it. Conversely if youre looking to buy for one that isnt sold out you may get a bargain.

I went to WHP on saturday, not one of my best ones honestly. Concourse room was where all the big hitter DJs were and it is the best room but the depot (main mega huge room) didnt have a strong enough lineup to coax people away from concourse so it was absolutely rammed from the moment we arrived & all night. Not the recipe for a great time. 90 min sets i find too short and you dont end up seeing much of each artist and the likes of floating points were playing way too hard for my liking. Went off to see greg wilson in star & garter upstairs room and had the more intimate & spacious vibe i was looking for. The kids probably loved concourse but wasnt doing it for me that night - too hectic.

missed mr scruff too as clash with greg. Whole thing left me a bit miffed tbh. Im going to stick with smaller stuff from now on aside from homobloc. Lesson learned.

I found this a really interesting read, and it echoes a lot of how I've been feeling about the scene for quite a while.

DJs are playing too hard, for too little time and, for me, far too fast. The bpm of typical club techno has gone up and up and up, creating rammed rooms without any true community vibe. It almost feels...'angry' at times. I don't mean the crowd, I mean the vibe. 

Take Amelie Lens - plays some cracking stuff, but it's ALL at 138-140bpm, without any space for the tracks to breathe. She segues into artists like I Hate Models (I hate I Hate Models...) whose entire schtick is just wham wham wham kick drum at 145bpm. Sorry, but it's crap. And it's SOOOO popular. Rebekah seems to be a terrific person, really committed and obviously hugely important for female advocacy and safety. But when she plays, it's just fast wallop, almost undanceable now - and other artists are influenced by the nights they're playing. I saw a bit of Paula Temple last month at Hidden. I think she's great, but in that company, at that 'type' of a night. she seemed to want/need to stick to the brief and it was just all too hard, too fast. I'm not being grumpy or an old fart here (well, i am but, y'know...), but almost the majority of techno seems to have moved in a particular direction  that I'm not sure is true to its core.

I'm going to XXL at WHP and looking forward to it - there are lots of artists across the three rooms that I'm keen to see, and scheduling means that there should be a decent crowd split. BUT, these uber-events are not really for me. Not for techno, IMO. Waterworks on Saturday should be a brilliant opportunity for me to see some artists playing more varied stuff than is often on the bill at nights I might got to. E1 after that should be good as well, and if we fancy it, we might bugger off to Venue MOT Unit 18 at 4am or so for a couple of hours of properly under the radar raving.

Ben

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

How have crowds been at some of your events guys? It’s been a bit of a mixed bag for me. Lots of people who look to me like they’ve never been clubbing before.  Lots of people dancing obnoxiously and bumping into people… bit off putting

Was this always the case or has this got worse?

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

How have crowds been at some of your events guys? It’s been a bit of a mixed bag for me. Lots of people who look to me like they’ve never been clubbing before.  Lots of people dancing obnoxiously and bumping into people… bit off putting

I think that lack of consideration/dancefloor 'etiquette' has increased a bit over recent years. I'm almost certainly wrong, but I wonder if its partly down to the evolution of drug use - either type, dose, purity etc. Purely anecdotally, and I'm not judging, the pervasiveness of ket on the 'floor seems to have changed the feel a little - happy to be put right on that...

Ben

23 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Difficult to say. However, there's definitely a direct correlation between my getting older, my reduced intake in recent years and me noticing anti-social behaviour, rudeness, attitude, etc. Maybe it's always been the same and I was too wonky to care/notice?

I will say that the vibe is definitely a combination of factors. Venue, promoter, musical genre all contribute to the attitude of the crowd. The larger, more publicized events can also attract a less "unified" audience but these shows became less about being there to dance and more about just being there, a long time ago.

The way forward is definitely to go for the more intimate, underground nights with a more knowledgeable, in-tune crowd, there to dance. Which is what I think you do, isn't it Matt? Other countries have got this nailed. I complain/joke about the door policy of clubs in certain places but one thing's for sure, it protects the vibe.

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I found this a really interesting read, and it echoes a lot of how I've been feeling about the scene for quite a while.

DJs are playing too hard, for too little time and, for me, far too fast. The bpm of typical club techno has gone up and up and up, creating rammed rooms without any true community vibe. It almost feels...'angry' at times. I don't mean the crowd, I mean the vibe. 

Take Amelie Lens - plays some cracking stuff, but it's ALL at 138-140bpm, without any space for the tracks to breathe. She segues into artists like I Hate Models (I hate I Hate Models...) whose entire schtick is just wham wham wham kick drum at 145bpm. Sorry, but it's crap. And it's SOOOO popular. Rebekah seems to be a terrific person, really committed and obviously hugely important for female advocacy and safety. But when she plays, it's just fast wallop, almost undanceable now - and other artists are influenced by the nights they're playing. I saw a bit of Paula Temple last month at Hidden. I think she's great, but in that company, at that 'type' of a night. she seemed to want/need to stick to the brief and it was just all too hard, too fast. I'm not being grumpy or an old fart here (well, i am but, y'know...), but almost the majority of techno seems to have moved in a particular direction  that I'm not sure is true to its core.

I'm going to XXL at WHP and looking forward to it - there are lots of artists across the three rooms that I'm keen to see, and scheduling means that there should be a decent crowd split. BUT, these uber-events are not really for me. Not for techno, IMO. Waterworks on Saturday should be a brilliant opportunity for me to see some artists playing more varied stuff than is often on the bill at nights I might got to. E1 after that should be good as well, and if we fancy it, we might bugger off to Venue MOT Unit 18 at 4am or so for a couple of hours of properly under the radar raving.

Ben

The hard house scene slowly re-emerging? 

The Tidy Boys will be happy....

10 minutes ago, nikkic said:

The hard house scene slowly re-emerging? 

The Tidy Boys will be happy....

Ha!

Yes and no. It's definitely under the techno umbrella, without the identifiable tropes of hard house - no obvious drum roll drops, mid-track drumless sequences etc. - but yes, the concept is comparable in terms of its evolutionary line.

The worst aspect of it? It all sounds exactly the same...

Ben

Ben

Completely agree. It's incredible how much a little bit of melody can add to a night when it's otherwise just relentless 138bpm kicks with some rumble. These days I don't go to many pure techno nights, but when I do it can just quickly get fucking BORING. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I've noticed across the board the crowd definitely look younger, but then I suppose I am 30 now so probably just noticing my own mortality more than anything. Wondering if the lack of good party favours is also effecting some crowds. 

From the night I've been at: 

• Dan Shake and TSHA at Motion was a young cword and a tiny bit aggy, but nothing too bad as it was the first weekend of 'freedom'. 
  • Alfresco Disco (I should start getting commission from them for the mentions) was a proper mixed crowd with a super vibe. A lot of older faces. Couldn't ask for more really. 
  • Love Saves I must admit my memories are a bit hazy haha, but the crowd for La La into Bradley Zero was full of love. But then I'm sure if I went to the next stage it would have been a complete 180 and full of wronguns. 

Warehouse Project this Saturday will be an interesting one. Concerned I might end up spending most of the day at the bar cause I have work on Monday...anyone know how the queues are? The fear of trying to find mates in the main room is large.

Some horrendous clashes too. Really want to check out Interplanetary Criminal but he's on at 2pm or something mad. 

6 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The way forward is definitely to go for the more intimate, underground nights with a more knowledgeable, in-tune crowd, there to dance. Which is what I think you do, isn't it Matt? Other countries have got this nailed. I complain/joke about the door policy of clubs in certain places but one thing's for sure, it protects the vibe.

Yes I agree - I prefer nights with less DJs and more of a focus than the big super events. Printworks / WHP was a great novelty when I started clubbing but it just feels too much like a conveyor-belt now. I really hate when house djs / techno DJs play like 1 hour sets. Defeats the point.

6 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Take Amelie Lens - plays some cracking stuff, but it's ALL at 138-140bpm, without any space for the tracks to breathe. She segues into artists like I Hate Models (I hate I Hate Models...) whose entire schtick is just wham wham wham kick drum at 145bpm. Sorry, but it's crap.

Thank you for sharing this because I often feel quite alone with this and not many people agree with me. But I miss techno. I feel like it doesn’t exist anymore in the way I used to like it. When I started listening to dance music I loved slamming techno because I’d never heard anything like it. But then I started getting exposed to 90s tech house or house that uses a techno rolling beat and it snapped me up. Jeff Mills Automatic is probably one of my favourite tracks that demonstrates this.

My pretty unpopular opinion is that the Gabba wave that came in a few years ago has kinda killed techno in clubs for me. Now it’s a competition about who can play the hardest and it’s lost all sense of groove or class. I really love good quality Detroit techno which includes a good groove, and this is probably why I’ve fallen in love with the minimal scene so much of late - as minimal DJs such as Villalobos seem to be the only ones still playing this.

I wouldn’t touch Amelie lens or Rebekah with a ten foot pole. It’s just heavy for heavys sake and my unpopular opinion is that it is techno for people who are new to techno. They clearly don’t hear this often as after a while they’d release how boring it can get.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yes I agree - I prefer nights with less DJs and more of a focus than the big super events. Printworks / WHP was a great novelty when I started clubbing but it just feels too much like a conveyor-belt now. I really hate when house djs / techno DJs play like 1 hour sets. Defeats the point.

Thank you for sharing this because I often feel quite alone with this and not many people agree with me. But I miss techno. I feel like it doesn’t exist anymore in the way I used to like it. When I started listening to dance music I loved slamming techno because I’d never heard anything like it. But then I started getting exposed to 90s tech house or house that uses a techno rolling beat and it snapped me up. Jeff Mills Automatic is probably one of my favourite tracks that demonstrates this.

My pretty unpopular opinion is that the Gabba wave that came in a few years ago has kinda killed techno in clubs for me. Now it’s a competition about who can play the hardest and it’s lost all sense of groove or class. I really love good quality Detroit techno which includes a good groove, and this is probably why I’ve fallen in love with the minimal scene so much of late - as minimal DJs such as Villalobos seem to be the only ones still playing this.

I wouldn’t touch Amelie lens or Rebekah with a ten foot pole. It’s just heavy for heavys sake and my unpopular opinion is that it is techno for people who are new to techno. They clearly don’t hear this often as after a while they’d release how boring it can get.

Amen, Matt. THIS THIS THIS.

I look around at the crowd roaring as the next 140bpm massively over-reverbed kick comes in and just despair sometimes. No subtlety, no progression, no (and I'm sorry this makes me sound w*nky...) intelligence.

I'm lots older than you, Matt, and though not as deeply familiar with the scene as you have been since you got into it, I was in my formative years (tho not clubbing...I was at Medical School, FFS!) in 1988 when acid house hit. I remember so fondly the transition into techno as Detroit landed in the UK and the UK said yes please, and took up the mantle. Glorious.

I won't repeat your description of the way it has gone, but it's slightly sad for me that the stuff you and I get frustrated by seems to have become the standard format. Certainly in the UK. For me, that's probably because it's kind of the lowest common denominator - unchallenging in the way that the most popular, popular music usually is.

I think I need to go to the Monument Festival in Norway - three days of smart, hypnotic techno. 

And it makes me a bit sad as I love, and will not give up on, techno. At it's best, 128-130bpm for me, dark and glitchy, beautifully but inexorably slowly progressive, percussion designed and deployed with real intention, there is nothing more transportive for me. In my best techno moments I have felt inside the music with a euphoria unreplicated anywhere else. I'll not give up seeking out those experiences as I know that there are still loads of artists who still get it.

Ben
x

• Upvote 3

Amen, Matt. THIS THIS THIS.

I look around at the crowd roaring as the next 140bpm massively over-reverbed kick comes in and just despair sometimes. No subtlety, no progression, no (and I'm sorry this makes me sound w*nky...) intelligence.

I'm lots older than you, Matt, and though not as deeply familiar with the scene as you have been since you got into it, I was in my formative years (tho not clubbing...I was at Medical School, FFS!) in 1988 when acid house hit. I remember so fondly the transition into techno as Detroit landed in the UK and the UK said yes please, and took up the mantle. Glorious.

I won't repeat your description of the way it has gone, but it's slightly sad for me that the stuff you and I get frustrated by seems to have become the standard format. Certainly in the UK. For me, that's probably because it's kind of the lowest common denominator - unchallenging in the way that the most popular, popular music usually is.

I think I need to go to the Monument Festival in Norway - three days of smart, hypnotic techno. 

And it makes me a bit sad as I love, and will not give up on, techno. At it's best, 128-130bpm for me, dark and glitchy, beautifully but inexorably slowly progressive, percussion designed and deployed with real intention, there is nothing more transportive for me. In my best techno moments I have felt inside the music with a euphoria unreplicated anywhere else. I'll not give up seeking out those experiences as I know that there are still loads of artists who still get it.

Ben
x

I tend to agree with what you and Matt say. Everything goes in cycles though and I am sure this is just another one. Remember the minimal years (not Villalobos et al) All the 'big' clubs and 'big' DJ's playing boring and big room minimal techno. 

Techno will continue to evolve and always have a place, be it Detroit style or Birmingham style. I think real techno works best in the smaller venues as you say

Don't give up, just keep seeking it out!

Adam 

18 minutes ago, Adam75 said:

I tend to agree with what you and Matt say. Everything goes in cycles though and I am sure this is just another one. Remember the minimal years (not Villalobos et al) All the 'big' clubs and 'big' DJ's playing boring and big room minimal techno. 

Techno will continue to evolve and always have a place, be it Detroit style or Birmingham style. I think real techno works best in the smaller venues as you say

Don't give up, just keep seeking it out!

Adam 

Thanks, Adam. And you're right, of course. Out of upvotes today, but have a virtual one. And as someone who loves The House of God, I'm with you on the Birmingham sound!

Ben

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Gala - small independent festival, well organised, great sound and lovely crowd

Field day - big corporate festival, poorly organised, poor sound and aggy crowd

I know where I’m putting my money next year!  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Zacko said:

Not sure how the fuck I missed it on the lineup until now, but I've just seen Avery is b2b w HAAi on Saturday in the main cavernous room of WHP 😮  Immediately followed by Modeselektor LORDAMERCY

Child 3 said they (DA/HAAi) were phenomenal at Lost Village. If they can translate that to the Depot then oooft! 

Ben

9 hours ago, Zacko said:

Not sure how the fuck I missed it on the lineup until now, but I've just seen Avery is b2b w HAAi on Saturday in the main cavernous room of WHP 😮  Immediately followed by Modeselektor LORDAMERCY

Child 3 said they (DA/HAAi) were phenomenal at Lost Village. If they can translate that to the Depot then oooft! 

Ben

Haai and Avery are good but they do tend to just slam it and try their best to make drops that look good on social media.

Big fan of them both but I do find their sets can be a bit cheesy sometimes. Feels like it’s all about the drops.

17 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Haai and Avery are good but they do tend to just slam it and try their best to make drops that look good on social media.

Big fan of them both but I do find their sets can be a bit cheesy sometimes. Feels like it’s all about the drops.

Fair do's - I've not seen them together and only seen clips from the LV set.

Child 3 is quite discerning, mind. He's more an IDM boy than pure techno, though he's a music student and so has his own opinions on what he thinks constitutes good quality in dance music.

I'm very pleased that he and I saw the first hour of DVS1's set in the Moat at Dimensions a couple of years ago. Absolutely spellbinding. Brooding start, moving into 60 minutes of seamless, immersive techno heard through one of the best outdoor dance sound systems I've heard. We need more of this.

I'm so glad you've picked up on this convo @Matt42. It's something that's been bugging me for a few years and wanted to talk about, but not wanting to come across as some superior techno snob (insert appropriate riposte here, team...!).

I've really wanted to start a discussion with artists asking the question "why does techno get faster and faster every year?", but obviously there's no obvious forum for a mere punter like me to pose such questions.

Ben