Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Anyone here go out clubbing in London much? I've made a NY resolution that this year I'm going to go to Fabric, Ministry, Paintworks, XOYO, The Egg, Lightbox and Orange Yard.

I might see if I can get sponsored for it (43 and counting). Am cheating a bit though as a lot of these places do day parties (already got tix sorted for Orange Yard, Fabric and XOYO ones).

Just now, Homer said:

Anyone here go out clubbing in London much? I've made a NY resolution that this year I'm going to go to Fabric, Ministry, Paintworks, XOYO, The Egg, Lightbox and Orange Yard.

I might see if I can get sponsored for it (43 and counting). Am cheating a bit though as a lot of these places do day parties (already got tix sorted for Orange Yard, Fabric and XOYO ones).

About once a month... Mainly Printworks, XOYO, Egg, Phonox.

4 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Never done dekmantel before so this year will be my first. Is it better to camp or get a hotel? The camping is cheap but I don’t mind paying for a hotel. Any other useful tips welcome. 

After a lot research including gathering info from the lovely peeps of this thread, we decided to stay in a hotel in De Pijp. We were coming from NYC, so definitely wanted to be in Amsterdam. Good thing about De Pijp was it was a cool neighborhood in and of itself, it is adjacent to the city center, and also closest end of city center to Dekmantel. The 30-45 min bike ride from there to Dekmantel was very easy, half of which was through the park. Getting lost in the woods of the park on the way home was definitely part of the experience. Having said that, if all you care about is the festival itself (the Fri-Sun portion), there is an argument to be had for staying in a hotel as close as possible to the festival, or camping. Keep in mind that after parties would not be near there though. Hope that helps

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

About once a month... Mainly Printworks, XOYO, Egg, Phonox.

Which ones do you prefer? Been to XOYO before but only for gigs. Heard good stuff about Printworks and looking forward to the Trade 30th at the Egg. Like the sound of the Phonox Sunday sessions too - but thought I'd cap it at seven clubs!

4 minutes ago, Time Being said:

After a lot research including gathering info from the lovely peeps of this thread, we decided to stay in a hotel in De Pijp. We were coming from NYC, so definitely wanted to be in Amsterdam. Good thing about De Pijp was it was a cool neighborhood in and of itself, it is adjacent to the city center, and also closest end of city center to Dekmantel. The 30-45 min bike ride from there to Dekmantel was very easy, half of which was through the park. Getting lost in the woods of the park on the way home was definitely part of the experience. Having said that, if all you care about is the festival itself (the Fri-Sun portion), there is an argument to be had for staying in a hotel as close as possible to the festival, or camping. Keep in mind that after parties would not be near there though. Hope that helps

This is the kind of info I need cheers. 

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Which ones do you prefer? Been to XOYO before but only for gigs. Heard good stuff about Printworks and looking forward to the Trade 30th at the Egg. Like the sound of the Phonox Sunday sessions too - but thought I'd cap it at seven clubs!

Phonox is my favourite club - nice size, very intimate, great sound system and lights, really good lineup.

Printworks is also a thing of beauty, great sound system, awe inspiring venue, jaw dropping lights, phenomenal lineups... But the length of the queues to get in was oppressively bad most of the times I've been.

XOYO is good fun - good names, but the room has a bit of a weird layout, and there can be some dickheads in there.

Big fan of Egg, but for me their lineups lack a bit of what the others do.  But if somebody is on who you fancy, I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Also, Fabric is Fabric - always great.

21 hours ago, uglyscotsman said:

Long Story time:

I'm 31, born in 1988, I only just got into electronic dance music and club culture like two years ago at age 29, much to my now frustration. I came of age in the era of 'peak indie', the halcyon days of 2006-2011, where the arctic monkeys, pete doherty, kooks, horrors, bloc party, klaxons, kaiser chiefs et al ruled supreme. I and virtually all of my friends associated dance music with dimwits, fist pumping ibiza meatheads, chavs, washed out middle aged ravers and druggies.  Listening to that music and being part of that scene was the height of 'uncool'. 

A good night out in the indie scene was going to a gig that ended at 11pm then going to a pub and drinking till 1am and that was it. I had no idea about underground club culture and my perception of clubs were these awful top 40 mainstream clubs that play justin bieber and cheesy 80 hits, were chavs smash drink glasses over their heads, and glamour model looking women deliver champagne bottles with sparklers to overpriced VIP booths.

It was not until 2018 at the grand age of 29 that one of my younger friends dragged me into a club in Barcelona, I took my first...ahem...Vitamin E pill ever. Gerd Janson - who I had never heard of-  just played the most uplifting, happiest and bouncing house set, all the spanish people were pinging off their faces, laughing, dancing, hugging and bouncing around and we clubbed till 8am, it was honestly life changing and I had pretty much the best night ever, it blew every indie/rock gig I'd ever been to away, were you just stand still, wave your arms a bit, drink beers and shout out nonsense and are tucked up in bed by midnight.

Since then I've been obsessed and go to as many raves/club events/festivals as I can and spend half my time on soundcloud or youtube trying to listen to as much new interesting house/techno/electro as I can. I can't believe I missed out on this culture for all my prime years, I wish I was doing this at 19 instead, arrghh!

Was very fortunate to be at the awakenings event at the Gashouder in Amsterdam over New Year and had all the fireworks flying over my head, it was completely mental, nothing like that in the UK. Got into De School on another day and that was weird; the basement floor has virtually no lighting at all.

Going to see Octo Octa b2b Eris Drew, Prosumer, HAAi and Jeff Mills in March, SPFDJ & Hector Oaks in April then Riverside Festival in may in Glasgow then;

Sonar & Off Sonar in June, Dekmantel b2b Houghton in August.

Desperately wanted to get Glastonbury tickets but alas couldn't get any, will try my best to get a ticket in the resale but hopefully Houghton will be a type of substitute. Was kicking myself I didn't get out to Dimensions festival while it was at Fort Punta, that looked like one of the best venues for raving in the world.

Really want to get to some famous clubs in London like Fabric or Fold, go to the warehouse depot in manchester and maybe next year to Berlin. Doubt I'd get into Berghain as I'm not cool looking enough but will try Tresor and Griessmuhle for sure.

Anyway that's it; what an awesome fun, imaginative and creative subculture this is, I definitely get a sense - and maybe I'm wrong - we seem to be in a bit of a golden age at the moment, there is so much variety in electronic music now, from hardcore pummeling techno like SNTS and Dax J to all these romanian DJ's doing interesting minimal ambient house to bouncing uplifting house by octo octa to whatever the hell Aphex Twin does - I love all of it, indie/rock now just seems so uninteresting, tame and uniform in comparison - I can never go back.

This might be my favourite ever efests post after a decade or so on this forum.

It's just bloody brilliant really isn't it? Raves. Parties. Whatever. 

I can't think of any comparable feeling in any other form of music or art. When the moment is just RIGHT, and everything comes together. Especially that first time when you just "get it" and you almost go on autopilot and everything just works out perfectly.

Gerd for the first time as well, truly perfect!

18 minutes ago, Zacko said:

I can't think of any comparable feeling in any other form of music or art. When the moment is just RIGHT, and everything comes together. Especially that first time when you just "get it" and you almost go on autopilot and everything just works out perfectly.

Both your post, and the OP that prompted it, are the very essence of why this thread exists, and why it's such a brilliant place.

Thanks for expressing so well what we all feel. There really is nothing like it.

:)

Ben

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Haha yeah thanks for the nice words, everyone else's too, glad to be here, will write some reviews of sonar, dekmantel and houghton after I've been.

Yeah there's nothing quite like raving, especially long raves all throughout the day and night. I think it's the extremity of the hours that marks it's difference to other ways of 'letting go of yourself'. My best memories so far are after raving all night and then pushing yourself through into the morning, 5am-11am are like the golden hours were the real magic happens for me, where you're pushing your body and mind to it's limits, getting that second reserve and the crowd has really shrunk leaving the committed ravers to go at, there is a real sense of camaraderie and bondship among the crowd at those hours and also with the DJ's who appreciate the presence of people still there, it's like an impromptu community where everyone is accepting and "gets" everyone else - (though maybe that's the gear doing that idk 😆), people's barriers break down even more and you talk and interact with strangers more and just look at each others spangled faces and think "yeah mate we've had a mad one haven't we", the crowd and DJ all coming together as one. Great feeling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uglyscotsman said:

Haha yeah thanks for the nice words, everyone else's too, glad to be here, will write some reviews of sonar, dekmantel and houghton after I've been.

We're first timers to Houghton this year too.  I'm incredibly excited about it, more so than anything else I've got planned for this year.   BUT also a little bit scared and apprehensive.  I do a fair amount of festivals and events but 24h craziness mixed with me could be too much :o

42 minutes ago, stuie said:

We're first timers to Houghton this year too.  I'm incredibly excited about it, more so than anything else I've got planned for this year.   BUT also a little bit scared and apprehensive.  I do a fair amount of festivals and events but 24h craziness mixed with me could be too much :o

Yeah I'm actually pretty apprehensive myself doubly so cause I get back from dekmantel and amsterdam on the wednesday and fly to London on thursday then onto kings lynn by train. Its gonna be like 10 days of sheer madness.

I'm planning on sleeping on thursday and on the sunday morning.  I'll stay awake for like two days from the friday afternoon to sunday morning, and I'll catch stuff on sunday night going into monday, I hear music stops at 6am on monday morning?? 

I'm more excited for houghton than dek, at this stage Im really not prepared to do camping unless it's for a very special festival such as glastonbury. Houghton is the one other that qualifies as being special in my mind. That 24 hr license is a game changer, plus it's basically all the fabric regulars and the very cutting edge of electronic music, more than half the people on the lineup I've never even heard of. After 2017 people talked about it as already being one of the best in europe, after the cancellation of 2019 I think this year they'll pull out all the stops.

We are very lucky to have a festival like this in the uk, and theres something about it that tells me this isnt going to be one of those long lasting things like glasto so best to experience it while we can.

On 2/25/2020 at 5:21 PM, Mezhyp1 said:

I actually haven't been, but I've been in Barca a couple times when some of my group has went and I know plenty about it 

It goes through to 6/7am, they had boiler room last year, the year before a smaller stage with a load of random b2bs playing absolutely anything that goes. My mates that have been absolutely love it, think it's the best off week event 

Sounds great. I have found taxis in BCN to be a pain in the past. Hopefully it is better now because I just might have to do this thing