Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

On 7/1/2022 at 6:26 PM, rubenz said:

Where is the Gas Tower in Shangri la? It looks massive but I can't say I've really spotted it. Is it the one next to the truth stage? 

It’s at the far end of Shangri-la if you head in from the unfairground, on the left just before you exit at The Common. 

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

It’s at the far end of Shangri-la if you head in from the unfairground, on the left just before you exit at The Common. 

Cheers, yeah I must have walked through it on Friday as Bonobo were on. Need to spend a bit more time in SE corner next year rather than just a cursory roam around and exit! 

38 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

One thing they could do to improve the SE Corner is to disrupt the tourist loop that runs clockwise through it. Turns it into too much of a walkway where people want to 'just keep moving' on to the next section.

Isn't this exactly what they want with the one way system etc to keep it moving and not full?

Hello, I'm a long time lurker on this forum but I joined the E&D WhatsApp which was fun, so decided to start posting! Now that the dust has settled here's my E&D highs and lows of the weekend...

Highs

- The Peach et al. 6 hour B2B2B2B. As everyone who was there has said - absolutely outstanding. The last hour with the rain and rainbow was my weekend highlight and one of my top glasto moments ever

- Controversial but I actually think the Genosys bus was really good. I was disappointed on on hearing the usual structure wouldn't be there, but the bus was more intimate, DJs felt closer to the crowd and the lack of visuals meant no nightlife tourists / gawpers so it was less busy with more room to dance. So for me bus = better vibe

- Virginia in the NYC Downlow. Perfect set - quality house with a bit of sleaze and a bit of drama - exactly what I like to hear in there. Todd Edwards was fun on Saturday too, plus there was some cool 2-step in the meat rack, but it was so deep and hypnotic I didn't allow myself to stay long or I wouldn't have moved on for hours

- Joy O on ICON - excellent, varied set. This was my first year of being at the festival since ICON and it really seemed to do wonders for the crowds across Block 9 and the rest of the SE corner

- Maceos - managed to get a wristband and inevitably ended up there for an hour or two each night - music and vibe always immaculate and they sold cider of the gods

- 4am at the Lizard Lounge Chai Bar in the green futures field. Went there for an end of festival chill out, but it had an unexpected party and I ended the festival jumping around to Break of Dawn by Rhythm on the Loose with a cup of chai in hand 🙂 

Lows

- Roger Sanchez was terrible, just endless build ups with effects and boring drops into dull as dishwater 'tech' house. I had high hopes after his Downlow set in 2016, but this couldn't have been more different

- Carl Cox & Eric Powell mobile disco - I thought there would be a seamless transition into Incognito, with CC hyping them up etc. but there was a long handover which really didn't work. Sound in the new glade wasn't very good - the glade dome was much better. Don't get why they moved it and I missed the spike

- And in general, too many complete wreckheads everywhere... they are rude, they don't dance and they kill the vibe. I'd had enough of this by the end of the weekend - very tedious. And similar, too many nightlife tourists who aren't into the music but want to tick-off an experience / get a photo

• Upvote 1

Is it too early to start making friends now for next year? I'm the 'last one standing' of my friends into E&D as the rest have newborns so not festivaling. This year I worked too so consequently spent a lot of this year wandering aimlessly, befriending the odd random but ultimately missing loads of stuff I would have loved. 

Caught Four Tet at the Park, Daniel Avery B2B VTSS at Arcadia, bit of Overmono at iicon but never made it to San Remo and ended up accidentally finishing the fest on Sonny Fodera at LHC which was dreadful. I'd like to do it better next time! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RantingAndRaving22 said:

Hello, I'm a long time lurker on this forum but I joined the E&D WhatsApp which was fun, so decided to start posting! Now that the dust has settled here's my E&D highs and lows of the weekend...

Highs

- The Peach et al. 6 hour B2B2B2B. As everyone who was there has said - absolutely outstanding. The last hour with the rain and rainbow was my weekend highlight and one of my top glasto moments ever

- Controversial but I actually think the Genosys bus was really good. I was disappointed on on hearing the usual structure wouldn't be there, but the bus was more intimate, DJs felt closer to the crowd and the lack of visuals meant no nightlife tourists / gawpers so it was less busy with more room to dance. So for me bus = better vibe

- Virginia in the NYC Downlow. Perfect set - quality house with a bit of sleaze and a bit of drama - exactly what I like to hear in there. Todd Edwards was fun on Saturday too, plus there was some cool 2-step in the meat rack, but it was so deep and hypnotic I didn't allow myself to stay long or I wouldn't have moved on for hours

- Joy O on ICON - excellent, varied set. This was my first year of being at the festival since ICON and it really seemed to do wonders for the crowds across Block 9 and the rest of the SE corner

- Maceos - managed to get a wristband and inevitably ended up there for an hour or two each night - music and vibe always immaculate and they sold cider of the gods

- 4am at the Lizard Lounge Chai Bar in the green futures field. Went there for an end of festival chill out, but it had an unexpected party and I ended the festival jumping around to Break of Dawn by Rhythm on the Loose with a cup of chai in hand 🙂 

Lows

- Roger Sanchez was terrible, just endless build ups with effects and boring drops into dull as dishwater 'tech' house. I had high hopes after his Downlow set in 2016, but this couldn't have been more different

- Carl Cox & Eric Powell mobile disco - I thought there would be a seamless transition into Incognito, with CC hyping them up etc. but there was a long handover which really didn't work. Sound in the new glade wasn't very good - the glade dome was much better. Don't get why they moved it and I missed the spike

- And in general, too many complete wreckheads everywhere... they are rude, they don't dance and they kill the vibe. I'd had enough of this by the end of the weekend - very tedious. And similar, too many nightlife tourists who aren't into the music but want to tick-off an experience / get a photo

Agreed that the bus pleasantly surprised me. I feel like the smaller structure encouraged the DJ's to maybe go a bit housier/funkier (which for me is a dream, but obviously is dependant on your tastes haha) 

I must have added about 50 new tunes to Rekordbox this week just from Genosys sets alone. DJ'd a mates party last night and dug some out, so so satisfynig! 

2 hours ago, RantingAndRaving22 said:

Highs

Lows

Re the Glade. I think you needed to be on the right (if you were coming from the railway) - the sound was much better there. Otherwise you had sound bleed from the dome.

Digweed was fine sound wise. I was at Carl Cox for a bit & sacked it off. I wasn't really feeling it.

On 6/20/2022 at 11:22 AM, gfa said:

Here's the whatsapp link, far easier to just join through here. If this link is not allowed just delete it 👍

https://chat.whatsapp.com/DMbFvM4Sw9rJcbRbiBohXu

@rgalbraith

@blutarsky hopefully this still works?

Was initially meant to be for E&D ad-hoc meet-ups during the festival but still a bit of chat going on. 🙂

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That and put something on IICON other than dark, drab squiggles of sound.

Each to their own I guess - the Saturday night on Iicon (Floating Points and then Joy O) was some of the best after hours dancing I've had on the farm in 11 visits!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JohnTheScientist said:

Do a lot of set recordings from Block 9 still get released? 

I'd love to listen to that shanti, peach et al set back

I was desperate for a recording of the Hessel Audio takeover in 2019 but never managed to find one 😔

Just now, ogriff said:

Each to their own I guess - the Saturday night on Iicon (Floating Points and then Joy O) was some of the best after hours dancing I've had on the farm in 11 visits!

Wasn't there and obviously wasn't there the whole weekend - but swung by most nights and didn't linger long.

And I guess didn't seem to be too big a departure from what they were playing in 2019, which drew a mixed reaction for being way too niche for such a vast space.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Wasn't there and obviously wasn't there the whole weekend - but swung by most nights and didn't linger long.

And I guess didn't seem to be too big a departure from what they were playing in 2019, which drew a mixed reaction for being way too niche for such a vast space.

To my tastes/ rapidly declining knowledge of the scene (an expected outcome with 2 young kids) this year had more big names and fewer esoteric choices than in 2019. The area also felt smaller (was it?!)... 

But there's every chance that the bookers just played into my dwindling, limited hands and it was nothing but a stroke of good luck on my part!

7 hours ago, RantingAndRaving22 said:

Highs

Lows

Welcome!! I really liked the bus too - we were only there from about 3:30-4am onwards saturday and everyone was really into the music. great dj on (Partok i believe) can't ask for much more!

22 hours ago, gfa said:

Welcome!! I really liked the bus too - we were only there from about 3:30-4am onwards saturday and everyone was really into the music. great dj on (Partok i believe) can't ask for much more!

Agreed! And I think I'm in the prefer the bus camp. Obviously the original Genosys is leaps ahead in production value, but I feel like the look of it also shaped the type of music you were able to play there and tended to mean darker, moodier sets. With IICON being one of the most impressive stages on the whole site and the Downlow to look at right behind you at Genosys I felt the bus leant itself to anything goes sets and much of my favourite stuff I saw all weekend was out the bus and I'm honestly not sure those sets (SASS b4b, OK Williams) would have worked as well out of the original structure. 

On 7/3/2022 at 10:31 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

That and put something on IICON other than dark, drab squiggles of sound.

On 7/3/2022 at 4:39 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

The crowd for Overmono on IICON at 1am on the Friday night was the biggest SE corner crowd the whole festival by a country mile, the entire field was absolutely rammed.

The acts booked for IICON this year were really big, popular acts. A total departure from 2019, when every single time I walked past IICON there would be barely 200 people there.

Perhaps you're just a bit out of touch?

Edited by Isaact

Floorplan pulled a massive crowd as well and they were great. I recognised a lot more names on SEC lineups this year than I did in 2019 but mostly because I spent so much time in the lockdowns listening to sets and discovering new DJs / producers.