Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

1 hour ago, Grinding aftertaste said:

I'm 38 and haven't been raving since Glastonbury 5 years ago, so I'm feeling a little anxious at this prospect. Only as old as you feel though eh?? 😁

All of my group are into their 40's and still go well enough. 

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I can't even bring myself to tell you how old I am, bud, but suffice it to say that I could almost be your parent (well, technically I could!). 

There are plenty of older ravers on the Farm, including plenty in this thread. We're all gonna be fine. Remember @Fishman's marathon-not-sprint mantra and we'll all still be there for Batu in the Temple at 0330h on the Monday morning!

Ben
x

I'm opting for a slightly calmer and well rounded Felix Dickinson Genosys finish again I think!  That was brilliant in 2019. 

1 hour ago, idontgetoutmuch said:

Awww Ed that’s hilarious 🤣recently went to the ‘king of the beats’ night an amazing breakbeat line up Stanton’s/plumps/krafts and the atmosphere was so friendly I felt so at home. It was my first proper club night after lockdown and was everything that I want from a club night

Amazing to hear all these affirmations of fellow old (school) ravers, the anxiety is banished! 

Breaks was the soundtrack of my younger years clubbing, so hoping to catch Plumps or Stanton's if possible. And loving hearing these sounds coming back through again - was listening to the Overmono fabric mix and it took me back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ed90 said:

Fwiw, I'm 38 and only really "properly" started raving 3-4 years ago.  I rarely feel out of place, occasionally go to stuff on my own.  At institutions like Fabric there'll very often be 60+ year olds, and I think most secretly hope they'll be that person (if you like the scene enough then you should).  This'll be my first Glasto - slightly intimidated by the scale but its nice knowing there'll be plenty of older ravers (this is normally one of the first things I assess when walking into a club).

All that said, I was out with my girlfriend at the Four Tet/FloPo Drumsheds recently and a friend of a friend (I think he was mid-late 20s) said to me "I think its so great that you and your wife still come out raving".  It burns deeper every time I think about it

Ha love this story, in 2016 on the Thursday I was in Stonebridge when I would have been 35 I shared something I had with a guy next to me and he started chatting and asked how old I was, I proceeded to tell him and then for the next two hours he would occasionally come and hug me and ask if I was really 35. Can’t decide if this was a compliment or not but my mate found it extremely funny.

this will be my first Glasto since becoming a dad and turning 40 but I actually think the lack of sleep over the last 2 years will have prepared me for it well

17 minutes ago, Barneym said:

this will be my first Glasto since becoming a dad and turning 40 but I actually think the lack of sleep over the last 2 years will have prepared me for it well

Snap! I've now got 4 years of running on fumes under my belt so fully expecting to see at least once sunrise this year.

1 hour ago, TiZuff said:

if anyone here was at primavera. i went to watch black coffee and the set he did there was so different to what he played on youtube etc. id love to see more that type of stuff.. anybody got any suggestions for glsstonbury?

Hmmmm, sounds a touch progressive for BC. There's not a huge amount at the festival, sadly we've not seen the likes of Eric Prydz, Christoph, Henry Saiz on the farm for some time. Nick Warren would be a decent shout at Funkingham Palace on the Thursday, Franky Wah is on the Glade at exactly the same time as Nick Warren(!), Sasha (Thursday Glade) and John Digweed (Friday Glade) might venture into prog territory for a bit.

There are loads of acts that'll drop some nice melodic hooks their sets, HAAi, Job Jobse, Four Tet, Sofia Kourtesis to name a few. Not exactly like Prydz, et al,but it might scratch your itch.

4 hours ago, Ed90 said:

Fwiw, I'm 38 and only really "properly" started raving 3-4 years ago.  I rarely feel out of place, occasionally go to stuff on my own.  At institutions like Fabric there'll very often be 60+ year olds, and I think most secretly hope they'll be that person (if you like the scene enough then you should).  This'll be my first Glasto - slightly intimidated by the scale but its nice knowing there'll be plenty of older ravers (this is normally one of the first things I assess when walking into a club).

All that said, I was out with my girlfriend at the Four Tet/FloPo Drumsheds recently and a friend of a friend (I think he was mid-late 20s) said to me "I think its so great that you and your wife still come out raving".  It burns deeper every time I think about it

Amen brother, i'm pushing 42 and still love it. A bit more selective about who I see these days but there's definitely still a clubbing scene for us older lot.

19 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Hmmmm, sounds a touch progressive for BC. There's not a huge amount at the festival, sadly we've not seen the likes of Eric Prydz, Christoph, Henry Saiz on the farm for some time. Nick Warren would be a decent shout at Funkingham Palace on the Thursday, Franky Wah is on the Glade at exactly the same time as Nick Warren(!), Sasha (Thursday Glade) and John Digweed (Friday Glade) might venture into prog territory for a bit.

There are loads of acts that'll drop some nice melodic hooks their sets, HAAi, Job Jobse, Four Tet, Sofia Kourtesis to name a few. Not exactly like Prydz, et al,but it might scratch your itch.

thanks for the reply. saw kourtesis at prima also she was great. haai i like and enjoy. will be catching franky wah pre camalphat so thats good to know! 

23 hours ago, Fishman said:

Having just said the above ...

Thursday is busy everywhere, especially earlier in the evening, so it is sometimes best to stick around one area.

Friday will be ok except Honey D which will have loooonng queues anytime after headline time.

Saturday is possible but think about your dancing feet. It's a long way from Macca to Fol. then back to A.E. then back to Sol.

Sunday should be fine.

Whatever, you'll have a blast.

Super helpful thanks! I've just seen Fatboy Slim has been added to Gas Tower after Fol so I might end up staying in that area and skip AE

49 minutes ago, Green Croc said:

Super helpful thanks! I've just seen Fatboy Slim has been added to Gas Tower after Fol so I might end up staying in that area and skip AE

Fat Boy has always been on the GT line-up, IIRC. And it's going to be rammo! Genuinely, the depth of highly popular electronic/dance names scattered around all late-night areas of the Farm this year is quite remarkable. Should make for things being equally nicely distributed and absolutely jumping all over the place. One for the ages.

Ben

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Gutted Camelphat are clashing with Nick Warren. John Digweed is amazing. I would add Solomun on to that list as he certainly plays his fair share. Jamie Jones maybe? But yeah disappointing lack of  deep/progressive house (and breaks).  So much techno around everywhere this year. I mean I like it but to be seems a bit disproportionate considering all the other genres.

Edited by rgalbraith

3 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

New Jon Hopkins track out and by wording in his recent email, it'll probably give us a good flavour of what his DJ set is going to be like.

Tasty. 

Woah! That'll do! I've been wanting to see ANNA for bloody ages, and so if this is putting a marker down for his 90 minutes in San Remo, I'll be a very happy little dancer. 

Ben

Edit - that sounds like I think I'll be seeing ANNA as well! Obviously, I just mean that a collab with her was always going to be up my Straße. 

Edited by bennyhana22

So looking like for me late night wise....

Thurs (probably my biggest clash in terms of being opposite ends of the site) can't decide between Marshall Jefferson > I. Jordan > Giant Swan > Talaboman (I do like the Thursday vibe around San Remo/Beat Hotel, and love John Talabot) 

or Marshall Jefferson > Deena Abdelwahed > The Carry Nation > Sedef Adasi (some great techno which is more up my street and couple people that I have never seen and should I be making to most of it, but then it is far away for a Thurs and I will be spending a lot of time there over the weekend...dunno) 

Fri - Four Tet (Park) > Overmono IICON > see if I can get into the Temple for end of VTSS and then FJAKK > Cinthie / Freakenstein 

Sat - get to NYC Downlow early for Virginia > Roi Perez/Todd Edwards > OK Williams > Partok > Pangaea x Pariah 

Sun - Bicep > Daniel Avery x VTSS > Job Jobse > Batu ... then 6:30am coach home 😴

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, davesrave said:

So looking like for me late night wise....

Thurs (probably my biggest clash in terms of being opposite ends of the site) can't decide between Marshall Jefferson > I. Jordan > Giant Swan > Talaboman (I do like the Thursday vibe around San Remo/Beat Hotel, and love John Talabot) 

or Marshall Jefferson > Deena Abdelwahed > The Carry Nation > Sedef Adasi (some great techno which is more up my street and couple people that I have never seen and should I be making to most of it, but then it is far away for a Thurs and I will be spending a lot of time there over the weekend...dunno) 

Fri - Four Tet (Park) > Overmono IICON > see if I can get into the Temple for end of VTSS and then FJAKK > Cinthie / Freakenstein 

Sat - get to NYC Downlow early for Virginia > Roi Perez/Todd Edwards > OK Williams > Partok > Pangaea x Pariah 

Sun - Bicep > Daniel Avery x VTSS > Job Jobse > Batu ... then 6:30am coach home 😴

Short of a freak, limb-losing accident putting me in the medical tent, nothing is stopping me from seeing Sedef Adasi. Not least of all as she's just about the only full, must-see set for me this year on Genosys-not-Genosys. 

Ben

39 minutes ago, rgalbraith said:

Gutted Camelphat are clashing with Nick Warren. John Digweed is amazing. I would add Solomun on to that list as he certainly plays his fair share. Jamie Jones maybe? But yeah disappointing lack of  deep/progressive house (and breaks).  So much techno around everywhere this year. I mean I like it but to be seems a bit disproportionate considering all the other genres.

It's definitely an under-represented genre this year. A few from the Anjunadeep stable would have been lovely. I would definitely sacrifice some D&B for a share of some more prog/melodic/tech

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It's definitely an under-represented genre this year. A few from the Anjunadeep stable would have been lovely. I would definitely sacrifice some D&B for a share of some more prog/melodic/tech

I wonder if Sama' Abdulhadi might play a more varied rather than full-on techno set on Greenpeace. She can mix it up. 

Ben

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Short of a freak, limb-losing accident putting me in the medical tent, nothing is stopping me from seeing Sedef Adasi. Not least of all as she's just about the only full, must-see set for me this year on Genosys-not-Genosys. 

Ben

To be honest Ben, if I was on my own I'd be with you, however I have a sneaky suspicion the missus isn't going to miss John Talabot for the world, so I'm a bit scuppered....

1 minute ago, davesrave said:

To be honest Ben, if I was on my own I'd be with you, however I have a sneaky suspicion the missus isn't going to miss John Talabot for the world, so I'm a bit scuppered....

I'd happily watch a Talabot set (he pulled out of a Green Man I went to once and I was gutted), but Talaboman is just not quite for me 😂

Ben