Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

4 minutes ago, Green Croc said:

Yep that was the one I'm probably most worried about, my initial plan before I heard it was Chem Bros was Primal Scream > Midland > Overmono so I might have to revert back to that. My group will take some convincing though

Chems on The Spider will be amazing, so either way you'll have a top night. 

You could always see Overmono the night after. Or chance your arm and leg it straight from Chems and hope there's no queues. 

I'm going to keep saying this.... you won't have major queues heading into the SEC, even after the headliners or The Chems. It may be a little busy and slow in places, especially the entry point, but it will be moving. IICON is huge and can swallow a large crowd and last time helped reduce congestion a lot.

Also, there is now shit-tonnes on after hours in various locations not just the SEC. It's not like the good old days where everyone all headed the same way.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Croc said:

First timer here, this is my current plan but I have no idea if it's realistic with the distances between stages / queues etc so any opinions on that would be much appreciated!

Thursday: Marshall Jefferson > Sasha > Jennifer Cardini > Camelphat

Friday: Hopkins > Midland/Chem Bros > Overmono > Honey Dijon

Saturday: Macca > Folamour > Avalon Emerson > Solomun

Sunday: PSB > Prospa > Job Jobse > TBAs

Having just said the above ...

Thursday is busy everywhere, especially earlier in the evening, so it is sometimes best to stick around one area.

Friday will be ok except Honey D which will have loooonng queues anytime after headline time.

Saturday is possible but think about your dancing feet. It's a long way from Macca to Fol. then back to A.E. then back to Sol.

Sunday should be fine.

Whatever, you'll have a blast.

1 hour ago, Fishman said:

I'm going to keep saying this.... you won't have major queues heading into the SEC, even after the headliners or The Chems. It may be a little busy and slow in places, especially the entry point, but it will be moving. IICON is huge and can swallow a large crowd and last time helped reduce congestion a lot.

Also, there is now shit-tonnes on after hours in various locations not just the SEC. It's not like the good old days where everyone all headed the same way.

This was certainly my experience in 2019, no queues to get into the SEC.

The SEC felt much quieter in 2019 than previously - I think a lot of people tapped out because of the heat, IIcon for sure has a huge field but every time I went it was "dead" (nowhere near capacity" and even Shangri La felt quite quiet at times - could be because the Common was slammed but compared to 2017.

On the other hand the only time I really remember it being a long queue to get in in 2017 was on Thursday which makes sense with other stages closed

1 minute ago, joeruss said:

Expecting IICON to be busier this year with a bigger lineup on.. Midland, Overmono, Floorplan, Joy Orbison, Floating Points etc

I'd hope so but all the artists are clashing tremendously - Midland/Overmono likely with Chems on Arcadia, Floorplan on at headliner time, Joy Orbison with Jamie Jones & Floating Points with Jon Hopkins/Daniel Avery on San Remo & Four Tet/Calvin Harris on Arcadia. I know they try to split the crowd but they reckon it has capacity of 15k and with the number of those clashes I think it will still be nowhere near full (at least should be able to get in!).

Incidentally, the fact that JJ, Solomon and Dixon was initially on the lineup makes me think they MUST have made the Gas Tower bigger - all three I'd typically expect top-billed on events - hell JJ and Solomon headline 2 of the biggest club nights in Ibiza and JJ had the primetime spot B2B with Carl Cox at Pangea in 2019 whereas Gas Tower is pretty tiny

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, themunn said:

I'd hope so but all the artists are clashing tremendously - Midland/Overmono likely with Chems on Arcadia, Floorplan on at headliner time, Joy Orbison with Jamie Jones & Floating Points with Jon Hopkins/Daniel Avery on San Remo & Four Tet/Calvin Harris on Arcadia. I know they try to split the crowd but they reckon it has capacity of 15k and with the number of those clashes I think it will still be nowhere near full (at least should be able to get in!).

Incidentally, the fact that JJ, Solomon and Dixon was initially on the lineup makes me think they MUST have made the Gas Tower bigger - all three I'd typically expect top-billed on events - hell JJ and Solomon headline 2 of the biggest club nights in Ibiza and JJ had the primetime spot B2B with Carl Cox at Pangea in 2019 whereas Gas Tower is pretty tiny

I know it's just me being a little bit of a mischievous bugger, but I just cannot get my head around someone who is super hyped for Jopkins into Avery (e.g. me) having any  thought that there might be a clash with Calvin Harris!!!

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I know it's just me being a little bit of a mischievous bugger, but I just cannot get my head around someone who is super hyped for Jopkins into Avery (e.g. me) having any  thought that there might be a clash with Calvin Harris!!!

Ben

Daniel Avery plays clubs and Jopkins play festivals and have DJ sets and live shows around the UK on a pretty regular basis - I mean both of them are on the lineup twice this year, plaed 3 times in 2019 and played 2017 as well.

Harris on the other hand, how often do you get a chance to see that - and on the spider no less. In any case both of those will be WAY more packed than Floating Points at IIcon!!

Edited by themunn

Probably been mentioned already but there is also 'Big Fish Little Fish' or 'Junior Jungle' every day after Power Ballad Yoga at Greenpeace 11:00. Doubt I will make it most days but will be a good way to start things off on Thursday with my niece

• Like 1

Really hoping to make these two in the early hours of Sunday morning and wondering if anyone knows what the ‘VJ fade in fade out’ and ‘AV volta XR’ is all about? That something to do with the projections that get done on the screens in the gas tower? 

F9F91261-2DA4-4A22-AAA8-9EE163D717FB.jpeg

Edited by TaylorT

Just now, TaylorT said:

Really hoping to make these two in the early hours of Sunday morning and wondering if anyone knows what the ‘VJ fade in fade out’ and ‘AV volta XR’ is all about? That something to do with the projections that get done on the screens in the gas tower? 

F9F91261-2DA4-4A22-AAA8-9EE163D717FB.jpeg

Google search brings this up

https://volta-xr.com/

http://www.fadeinfadeout.co.uk/

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Anyone care to let me know of the best techno acts on the line up? I haven't done a full look through the set times yet but thought I'd ask here first. 

Hi Guy

Well, 'best' is always a subjective matter of opinion, or course. But my picks would be/include:

- Sedef Adasi (new Berghain resident)

- Sama' Abdulhadi (amazing Palestinian DJ)

- Jon Hopkins (despite his own material being unquestionably IDM, his techno DJ sets are brilliant)

- Daniel Avery

- Joy Orbison - I include him as, tho he can play different genres of stuff, I've seen him play a blistering techno set and that's what I imagine he'll bring to IICON. 

- Pangaea x Pariah: Hessle x Karenn. Say no more.

- Batu

- HAAi (tho I can see her playing no 'proper' techno sets this time, as she loves to mix things up. 

- LSDXOXO

- Partok

- IMOGEN

- Steffi

- FJAAK

I'd be more than happy to stepping up to a set by any of these. Sadly, clashes means I can't see most of them!! 

Ben

Oh Ben you've done it again and helped me out with yet another suggestion!

A-Future has been added to that time slot! You might disown me for saying it - but my first thoughts listening to a set earlier was 'oh this is like slightly heavier Streets of Rage' music 😆

Trance is my #1 music genre so I'll take any style of it where possible 😍  When I went for the second time in 2014 (before I really knew what I was doing and properly scouting out a million different artists) I just happened to be stumbling past the Glade Lounge on a Saturday night and I was like a sailor to a siren and it's a highlight every year.  Think I am quite happy it's a Sunday instead of a Thursday this year - what a way to start the final few hours!

And yes Maria! Been loving her album while working for the last few weeks! Perfect afternoon chill set before I go see caroline who you also introduced me to 😄

Pretty sure literally no one in my group is attending anything I'll be seeing on the Sunday - so you genuinely might get a random +1 Scottish Psytrance lover to hang with 😄

11 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I've got a lot of crossover with you there, @Kuj! And good to see someone else who's up for a bit of quality Sunday Psytrance! 

If you like high-quality electro (very possibly/likely all vinyl), then A-Future is Adam Shelton's electro incarnation and is a bit of a legend. He fits nicely with your Sunday plans, as he's on IICON at 0200h. My Sunday is Regan > Tristan > A-Future > Batu. So you can hang out with me all night 😆

Oh, and YES for Maria Chiara Argirò. Cannot wait to see her on Sunday afternoon. 

Ben

3 hours ago, joeruss said:

Expecting IICON to be busier this year with a bigger lineup on.. Midland, Overmono, Floorplan, Joy Orbison, Floating Points etc

line up is really strong there this year. I never visited last time but have pretty much all them on my plan this year so will be spending a lot of time there hopefully.