Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

42 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

DJ 

Seen them live plenty of times over the years but never a DJ set. Anyone caught one? 

Probably still leaning towards Four Tet on Park myself. Was hoping The Chems would be after that 🥲

I've seen them DJ quite a few times over the years, especially at Glasto, and while decent enough I personally felt a little underwhelmed with track selections sometimes. They are nowhere near as good DJing as the full blown live experience. Arcadia Spider experience might be a different matter though.....And when they do play snippets or remixes of their own tracks it does go off.

1 hour ago, The Dawg said:

Looking for advice from you knowledgeable folk. I am old and used to go to clubs in the 90's, Moneypennnies, Cream & Feel etc and loved that house vibe. I have just come back from Bearded Theory and watched "psy trance"? like Eatstatic and System 7 which was great but not totally my thing. I don't really understand labels other than Jungle and D&B which isn't what I am looking for.

I am obviously looking forward to sets such as Bicep, Fourtet etc and like the sound of Tsha for eg but can you help me with DJ's playing more of a house sound? I came across a tiny tent at BT where a DJ was playing a track by Demuir called 'Can't Stop Da Real' I just thought there and then - that this is what I like to listen to.

Please can you chuck me a few names playing in cool little venues at Glastonbury I can research. TIA.

This might help: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ef64jsnmwcUxLSEuibH6UOjBTaMdlqW6lBNWzJWG1P4/edit#gid=0

Some additional names not on the spreadsheet who might be worth looking into (some of these do play other genres as well as House though):

Thursday:

Arielle Free (Stonebridge 16:30), Talaboman (San Remo 00:00). Marshall Jefferson is on the spreadsheet but he deserves a special mention just in case!

Friday:

Sonic looks good for House on Friday with Sarah Story and Eclair Fifi on before Tsha. The 18:00 slot is a bit of a clashfest with Denis Sulta at Sonic, Prosumer in San Remo and Dance System at Genosys! SEC looks like the place to be if you fancy a late one with Moxie X Peach X Shanti Celeste X Saoirse followed by Cinthie at Genosys, but NYC Downlow should be good also and Richy Ahmed at Flying Bus could be worth a look.

Saturday:

Jamie Jones at Gas Tower 02:30. The Wow stage could be OK for House during the daytime, as well as 2 Bears B2B Raw Silk followed by Dan Shake at Stonebridge. Carl Cox & Eric Powell at Glade will be great, but more Disco than house.

Sunday:

Might be worth a sprint over to SEC after Bicep to catch Floorplan at Iicon! Lonely Hearts Club could be a decent alternative though. A few people are playing again at various points throughout the day also if you missed them earlier in the weekend, e.g. Job Jobse, Ross From Friends, Richy Ahmed etc.

I'm sure there are loads of others that I've missed/am unaware of, so hopefully someone else can add to this!

Edited by FLB
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

Has it always been the case that some of the stages finish at 12? Just having a look through the listings and san reno and sonic stage finish well early, surely would make more sense to keep them open to ease overcrowding. I went in 2015 and 2017 but my memorys a bit hazy lol

3 hours ago, The Dawg said:

Looking for advice from you knowledgeable folk. I am old and used to go to clubs in the 90's, Moneypennnies, Cream & Feel etc and loved that house vibe. I have just come back from Bearded Theory and watched "psy trance"? like Eatstatic and System 7 which was great but not totally my thing. I don't really understand labels other than Jungle and D&B which isn't what I am looking for.

I am obviously looking forward to sets such as Bicep, Fourtet etc and like the sound of Tsha for eg but can you help me with DJ's playing more of a house sound? I came across a tiny tent at BT where a DJ was playing a track by Demuir called 'Can't Stop Da Real' I just thought there and then - that this is what I like to listen to. 

Please can you chuck me a few names playing in cool little venues at Glastonbury I can research. TIA.

OK, here's a post with a whole heap of random info on the electronic artists I like that are playing. Apologies for the ramble.  Also apologies if I've misgendered anyone here, I wasn't thinking at all.  

Of the artists that play more of a classic house sound, (aside from those mentioned), I would include:
John Digweed (an absolute legend of the genre, super skilled, and one to really settle into for a few hours), Call Super, Patrick Topping, Midland, Palms Trax, Louise Chen, Grainger (sometimes), Solomun, plus the Sairose/Moxie/Peach/Shanti combo.  I would say your chances of something being more "housey" are increased if you pop into the stages during the day (house is officially a more "daytime" sound than techno)

Other people I would suggest seeing:
Talaboman (a duo - John Talabot is outstanding, and plays a sort of slow-motion psychadelic house/techno, but teamed up with Axel Boman, as here,  he gets a bit more party party).
Honey Dijon - should be super fun.  
Dixon - consistently tops "best DJ" polls, and with reason.  I've seen him a few times and he's always unbelievably good.  More towards techno, but usually super interesting selections, and very melodic.
Elkka - check out her Essential Mix from last year (though she may be playing live, not djing)
Erol Alkan - in terms of technique, he's an awful DJ, but it'll be wall to wall tunes. I've seen him play Radiohead, in a club.
Daniel Avery - Full on techno, done very very well.
Haai - Eclectic, psychedelic, largely techno.  She's a personal favourite - debut album is out next week I think.
Ross from Friends - His Tread album is phenomenal, a bit Bicep, a bit Burial, a bit breakbeat. Listen to it, see him live, but also watch him DJ (which I expect to be a bit more housey).
Optimo - House/Techno legends from north of the border.  Not afraid to play Madonna either.
Floating Points - jazz influenced, but bits of Aphex Twin too. Hard to describe or even introduce someone to.  Maybe Spotify has an introductory playlist.  If he's djing, I wouldn't know what to expect - I've seen him basically do a disco set.
Or:la - could be house, could be techno.  Will likely be pretty straightforward but solid and not disjointed.
OK Williams - Keen to see her, as she has "next big thing" written all over her.
Joy Orbison - Last album won awards and shit, but I don't fully get him, and might be quite breakbeaty.
Yung Sing - Keen to see him for the atmosphere - have a watch of his Boiler Room which basically starts a riot.
Bonobo - basically Four Tet.
Overmono - bit breakbeaty, but some lovely melodies a bit like Bicep, and some unusual time signatures.  I think they may have a live AV thing too.  
Folamour - some cool rhythms, pretty housey, and also has an AV show, so well worth checking out I'd say.
Toshiki Ohta - super eclectic.  expect some Turkish disco alongside your bleeps and bloops.
Leon Vynehall - dark, melodic, occasionally breakbeaty rythmns, wouldn't know what to expect if he's djing though!
Job Jobse - housey, psychedelic, what you'd imagine playing as the sun comes up
Giant Swan - they don't really fit in with what I think you're likely to enjoy, but I didn't think I'd like them, then saw them live and was blown away.  Really stressful, high intensity stuff, featuring live sampling of hardcore-style singing.  Highly recommend popping in for 15 minutes to have your face melted. Their DJ set might be pretty weird too.

Last but not least, Avalon Emerson - One of my "must sees" of the weekend - 

Joy Orbison, Yung Sing, Solomun, Bonobo, Toshiki Ohta, Leon Vynehall, Giant Swan, Sherelle, Sairose, Job Jobse.

Edited by Ed90
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 7

I've just remembered that Folamour, Fjaak, Daniel Avery, HAAi and Floating Points are all playing Field Day/APE in August which may have some input as to where I go at Glastonbury. 

Although, me remembering that in the moment is asking a lot 😅.

38 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

Great call, she's an absolutely amazing DJ who never disappoints.

Just spotted this tucked away in the info the BBC have published for their coverage of the weekend (check out the second paragraph):

2022-05-31.png

1 hour ago, Ed90 said:

OK, here's a post with a whole heap of random info on the electronic artists I like that are playing. Apologies for the ramble.  Also apologies if I've misgendered anyone here, I wasn't thinking at all.  

Of the artists that play more of a classic house sound, (aside from those mentioned), I would include:
John Digweed (an absolute legend of the genre, super skilled, and one to really settle into for a few hours), Call Super, Patrick Topping, Midland, Palms Trax, Louise Chen, Grainger (sometimes), Solomun, plus the Sairose/Moxie/Peach/Shanti combo.  I would say your chances of something being more "housey" are increased if you pop into the stages during the day (house is officially a more "daytime" sound than techno)

Talaboman (a duo - John Talabot is outstanding, and plays a sort of slow-motion psychadelic house/techno, but teamed up with Axel Boman, as here,  he gets a bit more party party).
Dixon - consistently tops "best DJ" polls, and with reason.  I've seen him a few times and he's always unbelievably good.  More towards techno, but usually super interesting selections, and very melodic.
Elkka - check out her Essential Mix from last year (though she may be playing live, not djing)
Erol Alkan - in terms of technique, he's an awful DJ, but it'll be wall to wall tunes. I've seen him play Radiohead, in a club.
Haai - Eclectic, psychedelic, largely techno.  She's a personal favourite - debut album is out next week I think.
Ross from Friends - His Tread album is phenomenal, a bit Bicep, a bit Burial, a bit breakbeat. Listen to it, see him live, but also watch him DJ (which I expect to be a bit more housey).
Optimo - House/Techno legends from north of the border.  Not afraid to play Madonna either.
Floating Points - jazz influenced, but bits of Aphex Twin too. Hard to describe or even introduce someone to.  Maybe Spotify has an introductory playlist.  If he's djing, I wouldn't know what to expect - I've seen him basically do a disco set.
Or:la - could be house, could be techno.  Will likely be pretty straightforward but solid and not disjointed.
OK Williams - Keen to see her, as she has "next big thing" written all over her.
Joy Orbison - Last album won awards and shit, but I don't fully get him, and might be quite breakbeaty.
Yung Sing - Keen to see him for the atmosphere - have a watch of his Boiler Room which basically starts a riot.
Overmono - bit breakbeaty, but some lovely melodies a bit like Bicep, and some unusual time signatures.  I think they may have a live AV thing too.  
Folamour - some cool rhythms, pretty housey, and also has an AV show, so well worth checking out I'd say.
Toshiki Ohta - super eclectic.  expect some Turkish disco alongside your bleeps and bloops.
Leon Vynehall - dark, melodic, occasionally breakbeaty rythmns, wouldn't know what to expect if he's djing though!
Giant Swan - they don't really fit in with what I think you're likely to enjoy, but I didn't think I'd like them, then saw them live and was blown away.  Really stressful, high intensity stuff, featuring live sampling of hardcore-style singing.  Highly recommend popping in for 15 minutes to have your face melted. Their DJ set might be pretty weird too.

Joy Orbison, Yung Sing, Solomun, Bonobo, Toshiki Ohta, Leon Vynehall, Giant Swan, Sherelle, Sairose, Job Jobse.

Thank you so much, I would say spot on for the descriptions of the DJs I know.  

Anyone else facing the dilemma between Floating Points & Daniel Avery on the Saturday night? 

I’ll be heading to one of them from Four Tet at the spider but can’t make my mind up. I’ll be at IICON the night before for Overmono so might be nice to check out San Remo, but then I’ve seen Avery before and not floating points…decisions decisions 😄

I'm keen to see HAAi but am a bit afraid it may be a DJ set like Romy before her. Does anyone know what type of set she is likely to be doing?

I note that Ross From Friends and those two are in the same order on Sonic (Sat) and San Remo (Sun). I'm guessing the Sonic slots are live and the ones on San Remo are DJ?

Any takes?

2 hours ago, Ed90 said:

Fantastic post. As somebody who often has no clue where to start with some electronic acts this will do me well in figuring out some stuff to see

1 hour ago, Beaver89 said:

I'm keen to see HAAi but am a bit afraid it may be a DJ set like Romy before her. Does anyone know what type of set she is likely to be doing?

I note that Ross From Friends and those two are in the same order on Sonic (Sat) and San Remo (Sun). I'm guessing the Sonic slots are live and the ones on San Remo are DJ?

Any takes?

I'm 99% certain all Haai's performances will be dj sets. She used to be in a band, but as an electronic artist I'm not aware of her having done anything other than dj (which she is very very good at). She has got an album coming out and is, I think, working on a live setup, so there's an outside chance she might partly trial it for one of her Glasto slots. She's basically my neighbour so I'll ask her the next time I see her in the Co-op.

(She does play a fair amount of her own stuff in her dj sets though if that's any consolation).

25 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

I'm 99% certain all Haai's performances will be dj sets. She used to be in a band, but as an electronic artist I'm not aware of her having done anything other than dj (which she is very very good at). She has got an album coming out and is, I think, working on a live setup, so there's an outside chance she might partly trial it for one of her Glasto slots. She's basically my neighbour so I'll ask her the next time I see her in the Co-op.

(She does play a fair amount of her own stuff in her dj sets though if that's any consolation).

She's started doing live sets, her live debut was at Corsica Studios last week. Could very well be bringing it to the farm.

5 hours ago, FLB said:

This might help: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ef64jsnmwcUxLSEuibH6UOjBTaMdlqW6lBNWzJWG1P4/edit#gid=0

Some additional names not on the spreadsheet who might be worth looking into (some of these do play other genres as well as House though):

Thursday:

Arielle Free (Stonebridge 16:30), Talaboman (San Remo 00:00). Marshall Jefferson is on the spreadsheet but he deserves a special mention just in case!

Friday:

Sonic looks good for House on Friday with Sarah Story and Eclair Fifi on before Tsha. The 18:00 slot is a bit of a clashfest with Denis Sulta at Sonic, Prosumer in San Remo and Dance System at Genosys! SEC looks like the place to be if you fancy a late one with Moxie X Peach X Shanti Celeste X Saoirse followed by Cinthie at Genosys, but NYC Downlow should be good also and Richy Ahmed at Flying Bus could be worth a look.

Saturday:

Jamie Jones at Gas Tower 02:30. The Wow stage could be OK for House during the daytime, as well as 2 Bears B2B Raw Silk followed by Dan Shake at Stonebridge. Carl Cox & Eric Powell at Glade will be great, but more Disco than house.

Sunday:

Might be worth a sprint over to SEC after Bicep to catch Floorplan at Iicon! Lonely Hearts Club could be a decent alternative though. A few people are playing again at various points throughout the day also if you missed them earlier in the weekend, e.g. Job Jobse, Ross From Friends, Richy Ahmed etc.

I'm sure there are loads of others that I've missed/am unaware of, so hopefully someone else can add to this!

4 hours ago, Ed90 said:

Two amazing posts, really what this thread is all about. The person you replied to had essentially the same taste as me so this has helped a lot.

Toshiki Ohta and Arielle Free two good ones i've not heard of before, unfortunately looks like Toshiki i cannot make due to clashes. Also made me give Bonobo's dj sets a try - i'm not too fussed by his live set but the DJing given the description 'basically Four Tet' made me give him another go, sounds decent! Shame about the clashes as I can't make any of these bar Arielle Free after Baggy Mondays on the thursday!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

The album is fab (do congratulate her if appropriate!). Waiting on my splatter vinyl at the moment. I forgot about her Stonebridge set too. My guess would be DJ in Stonebridge and San Remo with an outside possibility that the Sonic one is 'live' but I guess with the nature of her stuff there may be less distinction. I'll be at Macca during the Sonic one so I'll either see her at one of the others - or more likely she will be one that gets away this year.

Does anyone have any breakbeat or broken beat recommendations for Glasto (aside from the legends like Plumps and Stantons)? I'm pretty sure Overmono, Breaka, Special Request, Hodge and Sam Binga will represent the new generation of breakbeat / electro breaks stuff, to some extent, but I'm not sure who else. 

13 hours ago, FLB said:

Thursday:

Friday:

Saturday:

Sunday:

Tremendous, thanks for that. I will get stuck in there somewhere and have a look at what's going on. Appreciated.

• Like 1

Did do much research on acts/DJs when the posters started to drop, but with the full line up reveal the clashes are obviously insane!

TSHA and Anz being my main casualties (the former is playing 3 sets and it still doesn’t work out!!).

Will probably also miss the Chems DJ set and DJ EZ on Arcadia.

Who are your big misses?