Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Just now, Hank Hankinson said:

Is there any DnB or Jungle in that Block9 Lineup?

Also Hi, I've been a forum lurker for years but this thread finally made me want to register. Best thread on the forum because of you lot! Much love.

Hi Hank and a massive welcome to the thread.

I don't think there's much/any pure DnB/Jungle on there - it's so well catered for (DnB, at least) that Block9 wouldn't typically roster much of that. DjRUM will play some jungle/DnB in sets, but sporadically, mixed with breakbeat, techno and electro.

The Common has got loads of DnB, there's Arcadia too, so you'll not go wanting, just maybe not especially in Block9.

Ben

9 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

What i wouldn’t give to be able to see anyone up and down the country every week 😂 (father of 3yo and a 4mo)

Ha! Replying as out of upvotes, but I hear you.

Mind you, my three are now in their twenties, so going up and down the country every 2-4 months just about does it!

Ben

7 hours ago, CJL9494 said:

Cinthie is the stand out name for me too

She absolutely kills it, her selection is top notch. Saw her at Boardmasters last year when i was working there. I think she might be the DJ highlight for me this year at Glasto.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Ltj Bukem. I used to follow his Progression Session albums religiously but have not kept in the loop for years.

Any recent sets to recommend from him?

Shame he's not with MC Conrad anymore but is he still the same sort of vibe? 

https://vimeo.com/137407945

If he brings Conrad or DRS to Glasto it will be a great throwback. I'm revisiting Progression sessions in USA and Japan for a bit of class nostalgia,

6 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Agreed. Beyer and his crew are good for Arcadia, and maybe an occasional Genosys slot, but I love how Block9 take us away from what you can see up and down the country every week.

And, IMOGEN is playing in The Common, for Drumcode devotees.

Ben

Imogen is class. Check her latest NTS show b2b James Ruskin

3 hours ago, NickM45 said:

If he brings Conrad or DRS to Glasto it will be a great throwback. I'm revisiting Progression sessions in USA and Japan for a bit of class nostalgia,

Neither of those two go near him now sadly. They all fell out. 

Regarding pro sessions. Check out number 5 with both drs and Conrad. 1st, 5th and 6th are quality. 

• Like 1

On my way back from Wide Awake festival so thought I’d post a little review…

Doors were at 2pm, but seeing as we won tickets the day before and had some prior work commitments, we couldn’t arrive until later, so were aiming to get there for 5.30 and watch Sofia Kourtesis.

My pal and his Uber driver had other ideas. 

No drama, I was sat in the sun with a pint ready to embark on the first festival of 2022.

Eventually get into the festival an hour later than planned and watched 45 mins of Call Super.

Great DJ, tune selection was ace and mixing was tight, only downside was a small crowd and fairly low volume.

We then went to the main stage for Caribou. Despite being 10 metres inside the sound desk we could barely hear a thing. I know it’s a city centre festival but this was the worst sound I’ve ever experienced at a festival. 

Stayed for 30 mins then cut our losses, went to grab a drink and a good spot for Overmono (live).

This is where it kicked up a notch. 

Fuck me, these boys at good.

Like really really fucking good. I don’t know who is on your Glasto hit list, but Overmono need to go to the top.

Do not miss them!! You have been warned. 

We then went back to the main stage for Bicep. 

I saw them at Brixton in September and the set is almost identical, albeit with beefed up visuals.

Anyone seeing them at Glasto will end the weekend on a high, really joyous set.

My only gripe, is that they went off for 5 mins before coming back on for an “encore” of Glue and Apricots. 

The gap killed the momentum and meant the last 2 tunes fell a little flat. Just don’t think there’s a need for an “encore” in electronic sets like this. 

But overall was a great day in the sun, with some top electronic music. 

Hope everybody else who went had fun. 

Edited by nikkic
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Maaaate, dad to an 18 month old here, managed 2 gigs this year 🤦‍♂️ 

I’ve got a 6-year-old and an 18-month-old. By next Thursday I’ll have been to 2 gigs and festival!

Didn’t plan it this way, the 2 gigs have been rearranged twice due to Covid and I won tickets to the festival. Luckily I have a very understanding wife!! 

All quiet on the gig front until August after that though (except for Glasto). 

Honestly…..

Overmono

Fuck me I can’t get over how good they were!

I’m normally wary of bigging things up too much, as I fear the overhype can sometimes lead to altered expectations and I wouldn’t want to do that to you lot, but……

Jesus.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I’ve got a 6-year-old and an 18-month-old. By next Thursday I’ll have been to 2 gigs and festival!

Didn’t plan it this way, the 2 gigs have been rearranged twice due to Covid and I won tickets to the festival. Luckily I have a very understanding wife!! 

All quiet on the gig front until August after that though (except for Glasto). 

One of my 2 gigs was with Mrs B, and she’s coming to Glastonbury too. Plus she’s in Madrid for 3 days at the moment so I don’t feel guilty! 

20 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Honestly…..

Overmono

Fuck me I can’t get over how good they were!

I’m normally wary of bigging things up too much, as I fear the overhype can sometimes lead to altered expectations and I wouldn’t want to do that to you lot, but……

Jesus.

I really hope their IIcon set is post headliners and either Friday or Saturday as I’d really like to see it.  Actually if it’s Friday I might go even if it’s headliner time.

shame about the sound at Wide Awake for you, I remember it being pretty good last year although I didn’t watch much on the main stage 

7 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

One of my 2 gigs was with Mrs B, and she’s coming to Glastonbury too. Plus she’s in Madrid for 3 days at the moment so I don’t feel guilty! 

I have a 2 year old and am pretty good at getting to gigs still, try for 1-2 a month although that’s not club nights, anything where I have to be on it post 11 takes a lot of planning. Not sure how I’ll cope with Glasto trying to do a couple of 6am finishes and it will be the longest I’ve been away from the little man ever which kind of sucks

Another one a bit disappointed with the techno side of things. There’s a few but I imagine I’ll have to plan properly or I’ll miss them. I don’t even expect big names, but people like e.g. Surgeon or Regis.

With the push for a more inclusive line up, I thought maybe Paula Temple or Rrose might have been in with a shout.

8 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

This. 

Overnono have a lot of hype at the moment. They're gonna want the IICON field rammed. 

Ben

So they're playing both Silver Hayes and IICON, and have Friday and Saturday listed on their poster. I really the IICON set isn't Friday night as I was planning on seeing Four Tet at The Park and wouldn't fancy my chances of making it down and into SEC after.

Although the way Arcadia is shaping up, there's gonna be options! 

3 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

So they're playing both Silver Hayes and IICON, and have Friday and Saturday listed on their poster. I really the IICON set isn't Friday night as I was planning on seeing Four Tet at The Park and wouldn't fancy my chances of making it down and into SEC after.

Although the way Arcadia is shaping up, there's gonna be options! 

I'd say Four Tet on Park is actually a perfect place from which to cut across the top of Pennards and onto the Railway Line - position A!! 

Ben

11 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'd say Four Tet on Park is actually a perfect place from which to cut across the top of Pennards and onto the Railway Line - position A!! 

Ben

True, it's more the later finish that has me slightly concerned. 

Probably overthinking it 😊