Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

If you've seen one FBS show, you've pretty much seen em all. Preset, heavily edited and unashamedly bags of fun. I find it hard to criticise someone so passionate about the genre, but I would like to see him revert back to his big beat roots from time-to-time, rather than the generic EDM he's spun for the past decade. There's absolutely nothing avant garde about Norm's personality or creative output, he's extremely likeable but I can totally understand why his brand of big-room EDM isn't for all lovers of electronica. But what you see is what you get, and you have to respect the guy's longevity, his musical output spanning thirty years and an obvious love for all things Worthy Farm.

Btw, that Snowbombing crowd is great. Kids from all across Europe gathering for the first proper festival of the year. Think Bestival on ice, rather than the Henley Regatta.

I've been told - to be fair, the snowbombing comment was snobbish and ill-informed. Mea culpa. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Ha! He's definitely a gateway act! From Fatboy Slim at Silver Hayes, straight over to Squarepusher on IICON...😂

I wonder is he booked? I haven’t seen his name yet. He played on the glade in 2019 during the headliners, tiny crowd but it was fun. 

4 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I wonder is he booked? I haven’t seen his name yet. He played on the glade in 2019 during the headliners, tiny crowd but it was fun. 

Caught him just after The Cure, was pretty rammed from where we were standing at the back! Really hope he's back again.

54 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Used to play Autechre’s Amber album to death, but I did love my mate’s disparaging summation of it: “handfull of nuts and bolts in a washing machine”

😂😂

My old flat had a particularly noisy washer dryer that always sounded like unreleased Hessle Audio 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Were any of you at this? I always come back to it, sounds like it was amazing.

(Bonus questions; what's the best Essential Mix of all time?)

I was! Such a good set, remember going to the bar just as his Opus remix breakdown started and by the time I got back it still hadn’t dropped!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Zacko said:

Patty Topping followed by Autechre in the Unfairground

Ha! A guy I worked with lent me two CDs in early 1994. Dubnobasswithmyheadman by Underworld and Incunabula by Autechre. Putting on Dubno... first was probably a sliding doors moment for me in terms of being exposed to more intelligent electronica from what I was listening to up to that point. That said, Autechre, and that particular sound has, and probably will always be a touch too intelligent for my limited taste

17 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

You can feel the joy in the crowd for that Opus drop at 28:43. That's what it's all about!

SO. GOOD. Four Tet at Arcadia could be absolutely massive this year actually ❤️ 

On the Essential Mixes note...Jonas Rathsman and Perseus' vivdly takes me back to being 21/22 in my final year of Uni and it's such a time capsule for that era of "deep house"

Some other classics for me

• Caribou, both of them
  • Nero's frommmm 2010? (Blinded by the Lights)
  • Rustie
  • Jack Beats
  • Jamie xx

3 hours ago, rubick said:

Caught him just after The Cure, was pretty rammed from where we were standing at the back! Really hope he's back again.

I guess it got busy then. I left before he finished because I wanted to beat the crowds to the SEC. The crowd was tiny at the start and he was late!