Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ve still got some cyberdog gear from the old days. 

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I went to Insomniacz in Sheffield. In Leeds I used to go to Stinkys on a Sunday for Back2Mine. All day on a Sunday... very odd vibe. Baseline house & messed up heads. Opened at 8am initially til midnight.

46 minutes ago, David_303 said:

I went to a couple at Corporation and the Howard afterwards. Mental times! We used to head up after Renaissance in Nottingham. 

34 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

🙋‍♂️ Guilty. The white gloves put into retirement some time ago.

The Monastery in Torquay & Dance Academy in Plymouth were our goto’s. Both venues had previous as a church and theatre… the first developed into flats, and the latter left to crumble sadly, as was a stunning building.

Ah, the good old days. It's not like it used to be... blah blah. As much fun as it was, I don't think I'd go back. 

2000's was epic for venues, Que club, Camden Palace, Europa (used to love running a lap of honour round that 2nd room) and any other venue that is now long forgotten. I used to love a good explore. Bring back the super club- I think kids won't appreciate it these days.

1 hour ago, Obiginnaw said:

J.E.S.U.S is making a comeback , that could be a huge hitter if they decide to come to the farm 

4 hour Glade set pls 

Last time they played, in Wow, on...Thursday...?...it was ridiculous. Genuinely impossible to move/dance at all in the tent as it was like sardines with some extra sardines shoved in the tin. Admittedly that was 2015, I think, and before the considerable expansion of late night venues around the site. 

Ben

On 4/15/2022 at 10:09 PM, Mouseboy11 said:

The Palms Trax Boiler Room is an all timer for me

You're right. 

Just listened to this and it's fucking superb! Right up my street.

There were a load of recommendations the other day, gradually making my way through them, so thanks to those who contributed. 

5 hours ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

It was rescheduled a few times since May 2020, it didn't sell out and a few of the DJs I saw played to very, very thin crowds. I reckon it lost a fuck-tonne of money.

I missed Ben Sims cos I only had a Saturday ticket which was a last-minute freebie off a mate.

Dax J > Stingray & Dettmann / Dr. Rubinstein > Sven Vath / HAAi > Ben UFO & Helena Hauff

They were all great. I didn't really like the vibe at the place (it was a young crowd and I felt very, very old) and the sound wasn't great in some spaces (lots of bleed from the other areas). Killer sets all round though from what I saw.

That’s some day man. UFO and Helena Hauff at Sonar I think I used to hammer that set might give it a relisten. Dettman and Stingray did one last year I was into n’all. Which was the best set?

10 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

I miss the evolution days. Wasn’t quite the same vibe as Uropa though even though the venue was a lot bigger

I loved evolution, but towards the end it was too dicey with the feds. 

but saying that the number of fuck ups needing treatment for going under on ghb was a joke. 

did any of you go to parlez-vous? In Bradford. 

5 hours ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

It was rescheduled a few times since May 2020, it didn't sell out and a few of the DJs I saw played to very, very thin crowds. I reckon it lost a fuck-tonne of money.

I missed Ben Sims cos I only had a Saturday ticket which was a last-minute freebie off a mate.

Dax J > Stingray & Dettmann / Dr. Rubinstein > Sven Vath / HAAi > Ben UFO & Helena Hauff

They were all great. I didn't really like the vibe at the place (it was a young crowd and I felt very, very old) and the sound wasn't great in some spaces (lots of bleed from the other areas). Killer sets all round though from what I saw.

It’s a shame really because the original date sold out really quickly, as did the first rescheduled date (very little opted for refunds).

Figure they lost a lot of momentum.

24 minutes ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

I didn't know it was previously a sell-out. It definitely wasn't at the weekend because, as well as the visibly less than 20,000 crowd, day tickets at the door for both days were promoted over the weekend (plus there were 75%-off tickets on Twickets on the day of). Probably lost momentum, yeah.

Yes - it is a shame and I hope it didn't lose too much money or put the organisers off holding a similar event again in Edinburgh in future.

They’re Edinburgh promoters so they’ll not be moving anywhere else! Maybe just need to adjust their sense of scale. 

Their market targeting does suck tho - I think they really target a younger/spicier (ahem) ned-ier crowd, rather than people who are really into music or students. I can stress how weird it is that I only have 8 mutuals on instagram that follow the event and they’re all DJs or journalists. Not a single friend I know (who would love this lineup) are really aware of it’s existence.

12 hours ago, gfa said:

I almost included that part on transport in the post you quoted - its got the DLR line that goes to London city airport. Not exactly mass capacity for after a show though and i guess a few bus routes too

Crossrail will sort that.

Also, i know the people who run Printworks are looking at somewhere else too, but it's not a sealed deal.  The moving into a building that's being prepared for development is their whole business model - it wouldn't be possible in any other way, and we'd be deprived of all these venues entirely.  The Cause will find somewhere new in time too.

7 hours ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

Musically, I think I enjoyed Rubinstein's set the most. However, there were only at most 30 people there in a space big enough for a few hundred (!); she had technical problems and spoke to the sound guy several times during the set; she came off the decks and into the 'crowd' at one point to listen to it herself (first time I've ever seen that); a couple of twatted people stood at the barrier and kept waving at her to get her attention; and she looked visibly unimpressed throughout. So, that all kind of spoiled my enjoyment of the set. Dettmann & Stingray played a blinding techno set but couldn't seem to get the crowd up for it.

It was a weird one and I was stone cold sober (cos I was driving folk back in exchange for the ticket) which probably didn't help matters. It looked great on paper but I reckon they booked too many big names, and they scheduled several of them against each other which left certain crowds pretty empty.

Overall, the event was kind of a letdown and I'm most pleased that my ticket was free. As I said originally though, it's got me right in the mood for Glastonbury. If any of the same DJs are playing there, I know that it will be way better and more enjoyable.

The idea that Dettmann and Stingray playing together couldn't get a crowd up for it...?! To me that's the crowd! They're probably there either just to be there and/or to take a shit-ton of drugs and tell people they've seen [enter overrated massive name here]. I'd have given a limb to see that set! 

Ben

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, nikkic said:

You're right. 

Just listened to this and it's fucking superb! Right up my street.

There were a load of recommendations the other day, gradually making my way through them, so thanks to those who contributed. 

Belter isn't it? One of the ones that really got me into that sort of music. Job Jobse, Young Marco, Antal, Motor City Drum Ensemble and Kamma & Masalo a few more of my favourites of a similar vibe!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Crossrail will sort that.

Also, i know the people who run Printworks are looking at somewhere else too, but it's not a sealed deal.  The moving into a building that's being prepared for development is their whole business model - it wouldn't be possible in any other way, and we'd be deprived of all these venues entirely.  The Cause will find somewhere new in time too.

Sounds good - shame i'm not going to be in Reading anymore as Crossrail would have been perfect!

3 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Belter isn't it? One of the ones that really got me into that sort of music. Job Jobse, Young Marco, Antal, Motor City Drum Ensemble and Kamma & Masalo a few more of my favourites of a similar vibe!

Will check these out, thanks. 

Actually started with Job Jobse and already loving this.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1