Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

2 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

No sign of the crane to move though? 

Thinking is that they will do it when they reinstall the spider as they’ll have all the cranes etc to do it, as that way they save money/effort on having to move the crane and then come back and set up the spider 

1 hour ago, tigger123 said:

Thinking is that they will do it when they reinstall the spider as they’ll have all the cranes etc to do it, as that way they save money/effort on having to move the crane and then come back and set up the spider 

Yep that seems sensible especially since it seems to be getting closer now .. 

On 4/15/2022 at 3:28 PM, Titters said:

I once went to a Sundissential all day/night event in Brum on Easter Sunday around 1999. I think it was 12pm - 12pm. 

The place was a disaster zone when we left about 7 on the Monday.... 

We went to a fair few Tidy Weekenders - always full on nuts, with the weird afternoon entertainment from Zippy & Bungle to Keith Chegwin. Magna with 8,000 people a few times. Sundissential in Leeds - queuing up in the middle of day, thousands of messed up clubbers and people eating pizza hut/going to the cinema in same carpark! 

12 hours ago, gfa said:

I find this so strange, I went to Printworks for the first time and really wasn't impressed by the main room with the balconys - it felt like an eternal fight to stay central and I would much prefer London had a venue like WHP project. Its so thin as well so unless you want to be packed in line a sardine you end up very far away. I think its a cool venue but would just prefer a more traditional warehouse

I love it, think it’s the best club I’ve been in. I’ve never had an issue with the spacing, just stick to mid way down the dancefloor (7A ish), the visuals are so good and with all the repeaters I don’t feel far removed from anything.

it’s mainly about the visuals though, just incredible some of the stuff they do with the press halls - making it seem never ending and stuff. The sound down in the inkwells is insane also.

Edited by MaxPower

8 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

I love the main floor at Printworks, massively prefer it to WHP at Mayfield Depot. Mayfield felt too big and sprawled out and too rammed at the same time, spent all night trying and failing to find a good spot for anything. 

WHP at Store Street, on the other hand, was a #vibe. 

Plus WHP is massively over sold. Feels a health risk. 

16 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Maybe I'm just getting old and there's dozens of places I don't know about, but between this and The Cause closing down things are looking pretty bleak in Old London Town right now. 

Nah… there will always be churn of venues in London, and both of the venues you mention were only ever temporary use licences ahead of development.  I’m sure the people behind both (particularly PW) will open new venues in time, and there are plenty of other great spots in the mean time that aren’t going anywhere, as well as KOKO reopening with an insane calendar…

7 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Hmmm I must try and get over to printworks before it closes. When is it likely to happen?

October the article says on DJ Mag but i think its getting to NYE at least

59 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Nah… there will always be churn of venues in London, and both of the venues you mention were only ever temporary use licences ahead of development.  I’m sure the people behind both (particularly PW) will open new venues in time, and there are plenty of other great spots in the mean time that aren’t going anywhere, as well as KOKO reopening with an insane calendar…

Corsica studios is still the best party in London 🙂

• Like 1

There’s no set date on printworks - the planning proposal is still in front of the planning authority and there hasn’t been a decision yet.

They won’t kick them out until they get that decision in their favour - the only dependent is how much risk Printworks people want to take in respect of scheduled stuff getting cancelled if the developers get their way.

it does feel like the developer always get there way in these circumstance, but the recent success in Dublin in resisting the plan to turn the Cobblestone into a hotel on the basis it was a cultural musical touchstone gives me a smidgen of hope.

Edited by MaxPower

8 hours ago, MaxPower said:

There’s no set date on printworks - the planning proposal is still in front of the planning authority and there hasn’t been a decision yet.

They won’t kick them out until they get that decision in their favour - the only dependent is how much risk Printworks people want to take in respect of scheduled stuff getting cancelled if the developers get their way.

it does feel like the developer always get there way in these circumstance, but the recent success in Dublin in resisting the plan to turn the Cobblestone into a hotel on the basis it was a cultural musical touchstone gives me a smidgen of hope.

I don’t think this one is a developers getting their way kinda deal - Printworks went into an agreement with the developers from the start to get the place, and it suited the developers as it raised the profile of the area.  Lots of developers do stuff with cultural organisation in buildings on sites they own but aren’t ready to develop, it seems like it helps them to be seen more favourably in the planning process.

4 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I don’t think this one is a developers getting their way kinda deal - Printworks went into an agreement with the developers from the start to get the place, and it suited the developers as it raised the profile of the area.  Lots of developers do stuff with cultural organisation in buildings on sites they own but aren’t ready to develop, it seems like it helps them to be seen more favourably in the planning process.

That doesn’t change the impact and reputation printworks had had/developed, and that it would be infinitely better to all except the developers bottom line if the club remains open and not turned into empty office buildings and soulless apartments.

47 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

That doesn’t change the impact and reputation printworks had had/developed, and that it would be infinitely better to all except the developers bottom line if the club remains open and not turned into empty office buildings and soulless apartments.

A club thats been open for 5 years is hardly going to get listed or something. Hardly much impact either really, its just a big venue so it gets the biggest acts - there's not much more to it I think.

Everyone on this forum would prefer Printworks to some office blocks but we all know its not going to happen.

16 minutes ago, gfa said:

A club thats been open for 5 years is hardly going to get listed or something. Hardly much impact either really, its just a big venue so it gets the biggest acts - there's not much more to it I think.

Everyone on this forum would prefer Printworks to some office blocks but we all know its not going to happen.

It doesn’t have to be listed to have the planning permission refused.

it’s also mroe than what you suggest. Printworks hosts more than just big acts ie when they hosted the Aurora Orchestra last year -

London is becoming increasingly deprived of large venues for alternative culture. The club has a world wide reputation, regarded as one of the best clubs in the world. It’s also truly unique even in that space, given the physical layout of the building. 

The club doesn’t need to be old in order to have had a significant cultural impact. And we should be protecting clubs that have that level of impact (ie how Germany have given Berghain special protecting as an institution of cultural importance).

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

It doesn’t have to be listed to have the planning permission refused.

it’s also mroe than what you suggest. Printworks hosts more than just big acts ie when they hosted the Aurora Orchestra last year -

London is becoming increasingly deprived of large venues for alternative culture. The club has a world wide reputation, regarded as one of the best clubs in the world. It’s also truly unique even in that space, given the physical layout of the building. 

The club doesn’t need to be old in order to have had a significant cultural impact. And we should be protecting clubs that have that level of impact (ie how Germany have given Berghain special protecting as an institution of cultural importance).

Berghain is in a completely different ballpark to Printworks!

If Printworks didn't accept the offer to have the building for a bit till the developers wanted it, we wouldn't have anything. Be glad it happened and you got to experience it - another similar venue will open soon enough to fill the gap in London's lineup left by Printworks no doubt.

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Berghain is in a completely different ballpark to Printworks!

If Printworks didn't accept the offer to have the building for a bit till the developers wanted it, we wouldn't have anything. Be glad it happened and you got to experience it - another similar venue will open soon enough to fill the gap in London's lineup left by Printworks no doubt.

There’s no guarantee another similar venue would replace it and it’s naive to think otherwise. 

They’re were 10,000 clubs in the UK in 2010, looking at 5000 12 years later - https://djmag.com/news/uk-could-soon-be-left-just-5000-clubs-new-data-suggests#:~:text=Using numbers gleaned from the,dropping to 6%2C985 by 2021.

Clubs like Fabric and Printworks should be preserved as important cultural touchstones (regardless of you thinking the dancefloor of the latter was a bit cramped), because once they’re gone, there’s a good chance they’re gone forever.

21 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

There’s no guarantee another similar venue would replace it and it’s naive to think otherwise. 

They’re were 10,000 clubs in the UK in 2010, looking at 5000 12 years later - https://djmag.com/news/uk-could-soon-be-left-just-5000-clubs-new-data-suggests#:~:text=Using numbers gleaned from the,dropping to 6%2C985 by 2021.

Clubs like Fabric and Printworks should be preserved as important cultural touchstones (regardless of you thinking the dancefloor of the latter was a bit cramped), because once they’re gone, there’s a good chance they’re gone forever.

Printworks signed a contract, whatever you do theres no way its going to get saved as soon as the developers want their land back thats it - end of. I bet before Printworks opened nobody thought a new 10k club would open in London but it did.

I still enjoyed Printworks and i don't wish for it to shut, but to think its going to stay open / get saved is just plain stupid.

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Printworks signed a contract, whatever you do theres no way its going to get saved as soon as the developers want their land back thats it - end of. 

That’s not actually how it works though. The Developers will want to make the maximum revenue from the land that they can. If the planning permission for the change from a club venue to apartments/offices is refused, then the most profitable avenue may be to have it remain as a club.

If you’re interested you can look at the planning application here https://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=QZSHOZKBINT00 and you can see all the hundreds of people who have objected to the plans.