Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

13 minutes ago, BAKE said:

Yeah I keep hearing about them, any sets in particular you would recommend? Didn't like their tracks on Spotify so just assumed I wouldn't like their dj sets either.

I also listened to their stuff on Spotify and was left scratching my head a bit after reading so much about them on here. Not that interesting to me. Sounds very similar to a lot stuff that’s come out of the uk in the last ten years. 

Edited by Madyaker

14 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I also listened to their stuff on Spotify and was left scratching my head a bit after reading so much about them on here. Not that interesting to me. Sounds very similar to a lot stuff that’s come out of the uk in the last ten years. 

Ah, a boardsie! 👋

30 minutes ago, BAKE said:

Yeah I keep hearing about them, any sets in particular you would recommend? Didn't like their tracks on Spotify so just assumed I wouldn't like their dj sets either.

For me, they're much more interesting live than on record, but then that's true of a lot of producers if you primarily see them as 'rave' artists. A lot of my favourite techno DJs quite rightly put out non-techno stuff on their LPs, exploring their broader creative interests, rather than simply making on record the same sort of stuff that they would play in clubs.

Overmono live is like melodic, crowd-pleasing techno bangers with some samples and vocally bits in there. They seem so often only to play for an hour when live, which always feels a bit short. But they're a lot of fun and if you like techno, they tick enough boxes for it to be a proper dancefloor experience. Late, late on IICON would be a fantastic slot for them...

Ben

36 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Indeed. I'd be surprised if Sasha isn't here this year. He tends to paly every other year and it's been 5!. Nick warren and Dave Seaman virtually every single year. Digweed absolutely loved it last time so could come straight back. 

I'm absolutely counting on Sasha being there!

40 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

As someone who has only very recently got into this sort of music, (Bicep specifically), who are the 'staples' to listen to first? Thanks so much!

Franky Wah and Framewerk are two of my faves. In fact you can grab Framewerk's Unfinished Sympathy remix for free right here: https://framewerk.bandcamp.com/track/unfinished-sympathy-framewerk-rewerk-part-1-2

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

As someone who has only very recently got into this sort of music, (Bicep specifically), who are the 'staples' to listen to first? Thanks so much!

In my opinion the big beat acts from the 90's are the nest gateway: fatboy slim, prodigy chemical brothers, orbital 

You might already know all of them in which case tells us if you want to listen to something heavier, mellower, weirder whatever and we can guide you

or alternatively you could jump into the deep end and listen to something like venetian snares 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Florian Saucer Attack said:

In my opinion the big beat acts from the 90's are the nest gateway: fatboy slim, prodigy chemical brothers, orbital 

You might already know all of them in which case tells us if you want to listen to something heavier, mellower, weirder whatever and we can guide you

or alternatively you could jump into the deep end and listen to something like venetian snares 

Thanks so much! 

6 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Both I guess.. The best place to start, basically. 

I could recommend finding like 10 artists you like and making a spotify playlist with them, then using the add songs feature at the bottom to find new artists/songs to add to the playlist. Just keep refreshing and going through that and you will have a playlist in no time of dance music you like.

Some of my favourites are Four Tet, Kolsch, FJAAK and then for older stuff chemical brothers. LFO and 808 state

I could be here all week @Freddyflintstonree but go with some of these off the top of my head from some of my favorite genres over the years. Some of the gang on here can point you in deeper directions:

Marshall Jefferson - Move Your Body

A Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray

Derrick May - Strings of Life

808 State - Pacific 202

Bizarre Inc - Playing With Knives

Alison Limerick - Where Love Lives

Terrorize - It's Just A Feeling

4hero - Cookin Up Yer Brain

Orbital - Chime

Blame - 2 Bad Mice Take You

Kev Bird - This Is A Trip

Mystery Man - DJ Business

The Sabres of Paradise - Smokebelch II

Cyanide 45 - Notice Me

Aphex Twin - Polynomial-C

Jones & Stephenson - The First Rebirth

Omni Trio - Renegade Snares

Atlantis - I Need You (LTJ Bukem remix)

LTJ Bukem - Rainfall

DJ Rap - Spiritual Aura

Jo - R-Type

Push - Strange World

Binary Finary - 1998

Filterheadz - Yimanya

Sasha - Xpander

Gesaffelstein - Obsession

Metrik - Fatso

Kanine - The Shadows

DJ Koze - Pick Up

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

Outside of confirmed acts playing at Glasto this year and if you're talking any melodic instrumental electronic music ever, my list of tracks would be huge, however, here's a few random big names to whack in your streaming service for starters...

• Jon Hopkins
  • Caibou and Daphni (two acts...same person)
  • Floating Points
  • Plaid
  • Daft Punk
  • Justice
  • Modeselektor
  • Chemical Brothers
  • 808 State
  • Boards of Canada (not for the dancefloor)

Oh...and I am compelled to post some Aphex Twin because he's kinda the Don as far as I'm concerned (most of those above, Bjork, Thom Yorke, Tame Impala and...err...Madonna are all fans).

Try his Selected Ambient Works album first, your ears probably aren't yet ready for much of his later output 🙂

Plus it's Aphex Twin day!

17 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I could be here all week @Freddyflintstonree but go with some of these off the top of my head from some of my favorite genres over the years. Some of the gang on here can point you in deeper directions:

Marshall Jefferson - Move Your Body

A Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray

Derrick May - Strings of Life

808 State - Pacific 202

Bizarre Inc - Playing With Knives

Alison Limerick - Where Love Lives

Terrorize - It's Just A Feeling

4hero - Cookin Up Yer Brain

Orbital - Chime

Blame - 2 Bad Mice Take You

Kev Bird - This Is A Trip

Mystery Man - DJ Business

The Sabres of Paradise - Smokebelch II

Cyanide 45 - Notice Me

Aphex Twin - Polynomial-C

Jones & Stephenson - The First Rebirth

Omni Trio - Renegade Snares

Atlantis - I Need You (LTJ Bukem remix)

LTJ Bukem - Rainfall

DJ Rap - Spiritual Aura

Jo - R-Type

Push - Strange World

Binary Finary - 1998

Filterheadz - Yimanya

Sasha - Xpander

Gesaffelstein - Obsession

Metrik - Fatso

Kanine - The Shadows

DJ Koze - Pick Up

Some absolute stone cold classics and personal faves in that little lot 

24 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Both I guess.. The best place to start, basically. 

Sorry to jump in (but I can’t help myself!).

If I were to recommend five things to get someone into electronic music - particularly someone going to glasto- they would be as follows:

(Prelude: grab some good headphones!)

1. Explore the Chicago House/Trax Records compilations e.g. Frankie Knuckles presents

2. Listen to Selected Ambient Works 85-92

3. Watch some of Glastonbury’s favourite electronic acts’ sets on YouTube: Orbital, Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Justice, for example.

4. Listen to the classic dance floor tracks from the last decade or so.  For me, this would be: What’s A Girl To Do (Fatima Yamaha), Inspector Norse (Todd Terje), Final Credits (Midland) and Au Seve (Julio Bashmore). 

5. Listen to Balance 005 (James Holden Mix). It’s on Spotify. An incredible tech house mix. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

Outside of confirmed acts playing at Glasto this year and if you're talking any melodic instrumental electronic music ever, my list of tracks would be huge, however, here's a few random big names to whack in your streaming service for starters...

• Jon Hopkins
  • Caibou and Daphni (two acts...same person)
  • Floating Points
  • Plaid
  • Daft Punk
  • Justice
  • Modeselektor
  • Chemical Brothers
  • 808 State
  • Boards of Canada (not for the dancefloor)

Oh...and I am compelled to post some Aphex Twin because he's kinda the Don as far as I'm concerned (most of those above, Bjork, Thom Yorke, Tame Impala and...err...Madonna are all fans).

Try his Selected Ambient Works album first, your ears probably aren't yet ready for much of his later output 🙂

I’d throw George Fitzgerald and Fred Again into the mix too… think the above list covered most of what I’d have suggested

2 hours ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

I generally have very little to contribute on this thread and I just know that Chalmers and Benny will nod politely and humour me when I do dip in, but having only relatively recently discovered that I like electronica way more than I thought I did I'm probably in a similar boat.

I've discovered a big love for Etherwood and London Elektricity, both drum & bass but very melodic. Etherwood in particular is very chilled.

Edited by Quark