Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

3 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Patrick Topping mercifully stepping away from the decks so that Monika Kruse could take over at the Temple in 2019 was one of the best moments of the festival for me.

😉

Ben

haha well I thought he did a good job! 

1 hour ago, Obiginnaw said:

Ahhh fair play! Different folks different strokes , but I’m probably being a bit harsh on the guy. last time I saw him was DC10 in 2018 and I’m sure he’s definitely improved since then, time before that he was in Nottingham between Pawsa and Melé and he just didn’t deliver the same energy of the other 2, it might be a ‘if I wander nearby I’ll check him out’ job

Was that Nottingham do a Wigflex thing?

1 hour ago, Obiginnaw said:

That’ll be a swerve from me, can’t fault the booking or what he’s doing with Trick label, especially catapulting Ewan McVicar into the scene. He’ll draw a big crowd for sure , but seen him twice and both times found it very underwhelming

His set at Printworks Redacted was absolutely sick, but that wasn’t his normal show from what I’ve seen online. Fair play to Trick and everything but it’s a bit pop-y for me.

7 minutes ago, David_303 said:

Was that Nottingham do a Wigflex thing?

nah this one was the Everywhere Festival in Rock City/Rescue Rooms, never managed to make a wigflex event whilst i was up there which i regret massively 

1 minute ago, MaxPower said:

His set at Printworks Redacted was absolutely sick, but that wasn’t his normal show from what I’ve seen online. Fair play to Trick and everything but it’s a bit pop-y for me.

yeah I'm the same as you, I've heard people say he's incredible live and all that, but it's very in-fashion at the minute. Same with Michael Bibi, not taking anything away from what they're doing on the whole and the crowd they've accrued ,but for me I'd much rather go see something else

However what I I will say is Ewan McVicar producing and releasing Tell Me Something Good was just absolutely perfect timing. First time I heard it on Annie Mac’s Friday show just as restrictions were lifting a bit in Scotland was just a euphoric moment from my work desk lmao. Just absolutely striking while the iron is hot.

Seems a lovely lad too even if I’ll probs never go out of my way to see him.

Edited by MaxPower

Woop Woop - Am i just an old curmudgeon or does it do anyone else's nut when crowds do the woop woop thing on every track. Just seems a so fucking basic, the kind of thing you would get at Jumping Jacks or Flares or some other god awful plub. Really annoys me and you get it quite a lot at festivals for big dance acts as loads of non dance fans flock to see a big DJ or Dance act.

1 minute ago, SouthbanKen said:

Woop Woop - Am i just an old curmudgeon or does it do anyone else's nut when crowds do the woop woop thing on every track. Just seems a so fucking basic, the kind of thing you would get at Jumping Jacks or Flares or some other god awful plub. Really annoys me and you get it quite a lot at festivals for big dance acts as loads of non dance fans flock to see a big DJ or Dance act.

I hate it too. I used to be a big thing to do in the Northern superclubs back in 95/96 too. I hated it back then also! 

I'm not usually a grumpy old twat, honest!

35 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

It’s much better to show your appreciation with a chin stroke in my opinion 😀

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Reckon Saoirse, Moxie, Peach, Shanti Celeste, Or:La, TSHA and Louise Chen are all extremely likely too.

could also see Lorraine James, Shy One* (not shyFX lol), maybe LaLa, Kelly Lee Owens, Jayda G.

Reslly hoping for Honey Dijon, her Sugar Mountain set is still in top 5 mixes.

Desperately want the big ‘Both of us’ moment from Jayda G, preferably on an outdoor stage in the sunshine.

Similarly Sizzling from Daphni.

Fully expect the Chapter 10 / Adonis lot around NYC Downlow, Meat Rack, and Genosys given Gideon’s involvement.

What does 'More details on how to attend TBA?' 

Are we talking something like a 'tache for NYCD, one of the little plastic letters for behind the Rabbit Hole, answering a gibberish question from a Druid for the Secret Underground Piano Bar?

I do love the whole idea of secret sets and venues, but also worry a little that it creates exclusivity...*

Ben

*in other words, when someone knows how to attend this, tell me!!

8 hours ago, stuie said:

Patrick Topping into Monika Kruse at The Temple in 2019 (03:00 to 06:00) was one of the best moments of the festival for me.  

That Monika Kruse set was my highlight from 2019. I was only there for the last bit of Topping I don't really get the hype myself. People do seem to love him I'm sure he knows how to throw a party.

6 hours ago, Tremas said:

Desperately want the big ‘Both of us’ moment from Jayda G, preferably on an outdoor stage in the sunshine.

Similarly Sizzling from Daphni.

Fully expect the Chapter 10 / Adonis lot around NYC Downlow, Meat Rack, and Genosys given Gideon’s involvement.

Yeah it’s sick and I’m glad shes not tired of it. Seen her do a heavier/more techno set than she usually would but still stuck it in the middle with the claps etc and it was brilliant.

On 4/2/2022 at 11:51 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Max Cooper at the Roundhouse. 

Flippin' heck. That was quite the gig. It was a show postponed from pre-pandemic that was originally a one off, with Max intending to put on a bit of an A/V spectacular. When we saw that he'd now shoehorned the show into his tour for the new record, we were slightly worried that it would be great, but just another show in the tour. 

We needn't have worried. As far as I can tell he pretty much gave us the special show he had always intended, albeit augmented to include tracks from the new record. 

He played the whole thing, and at 3h10m is comfortably the longest set I've ever seen at a gig. It was a good job I looked at the tickets when we got to London and saw that the doors were at 6. Went onto Twitter to find him saying that he was going to play his IDM A/V stuff to start with and then rave it up a bit. And he did. 

The visuals were incredible and by some margin the best I've ever seen at a gig. He played with a huge screen behind him and his deck was itself behind a massive thin mesh curtain with a similar one either side of that. So, we had visuals behind him and projected up onto the curtain so that for much of the show you could barely see him behind, such was the size and scale of the projections. It was stunning. In the second half of the set he ramped it up, including 30 minutes of IDM-inflected DnB, the last of those tracks being dubstep! For someone who likes, but can not dance to, drum and bass (MASSIVE sub-bass at times), I was glad when he dropped a techno banger after that, extended out for 10 minutes. 

All in all, a triumph. I'm a bit sad to be in a car on the way home, rather than heading to his DJ set later at Village Underground, but I've got an all-nighter on Friday, so discretion is the better part of valour tonight. But Max is a bloody clever producer. 

Ben

I think I’ve finally come down from the high of Saturday night. Life changing, an absolutely stunning gig.

• Upvote 1