Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

53 minutes ago, Cuboid said:

Where has Four Tet on Pangia Friday came from on rumours line up? Might just be selfish as I'm not a fan of that field but it feels the wrong setting for him

That's an interesting point, actually. I wonder how many on this thread prefer the more subtle backdrop of the likes of Genosys to the sheer spectacle of Arcadia? Would it be fair to suggest that most on here prefer the former? 

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That's an interesting point, actually. I wonder how many on this thread prefer the more subtle backdrop of the likes of Genosys to the sheer spectacle of Arcadia? Would it be fair to suggest that most on here prefer the former? 

I just think music like that exists best in tight spaces, sweaty tents etc. 

On 3/29/2022 at 6:21 PM, bennyhana22 said:

I just don't think they could do that - it'd be dangerously rammed. Now, closing IICON or Pangea, that would fly.

Ben

Edit: but yes, it would be unreal!

Bit like Fat Boy on the Glade in 2019, it was just too chaotic. 

11 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

This came on in my headphones in the gym today... not heard it for a long time.

Absolute hard trance classic. I'd love to see a trance classics set at Glastonbury... preferably with me playing it! Spaceport would be perfect

Now this is something I'd love.

All of my mates at Uni forged a friendship which had roots in the Trance scene. Started Uni in 2002 so we caught the back end of the 98/99 years, there were a few clubs in Derby/Notts/Brum still putting nights on. 

One of our most talked about memories is going to Ibiza for the first time in 2010, it was house and techno everywhere so we thought there'd be little chance of a trance night, but Paul Van Dyk happened to be playing a classics set at Cream whilst we were there. 

Good times. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Personally I prefer Genosys, apart from the 'show' on the spider. 

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Four Tet, absolutely. I'm intrigued to see how he (and Aphex - apparently) might translate onto the Arcadia setup. Not exactly all about drops, flames, CO2 cannons and confetti, are they?

Four Tet's more recent festival sets have definitely verged into 'drops' territory, he'll be fine on there. Hoping he gets it out of his system there tbf and plays something a little more intimate elsewhere. 

Me & the Missus came to Glasto for the first time in 2019, i'd been a couple of times way back when in 99/2000 but last year was the first year I persuaded her she would enjoy it having done loads of other festivals and dance events in the past. Good news is, she loved it (obvs) and we snagged a couple of tickets in the resale. 

We love our dance music, but are little bit older (40ish) and mainstream, think big room trance / Radio One DnB / Ibiza / Godskitchen / Gatecrasher plus more so on the Hard House / Hard Trance side Tidy Trax side of things, so the Glastonbury and Bloc9 line ups in particular always read a bit like an underground labyrinth to me. 

We didn't really get to block 9 or Pangea properly last year, and didn't really do a proper late one either (the Missus is straight edge & we did the full daytime Glastonbury experience last year so we were always a bit knackered by the night time).

In terms of our dance music consumption last time we ended up in Silver Hayes a fair bit - Annie Mac, High Contrast and Wilkinson on the Thursday night and we did Wilkinson B2B Subfocus on the Friday night. Then on Saturday we were one of maybe 50 people who decided to watch Kosheen's headline set on the Flying Bus Stage which was awesome before catching the end of the Chems from the railway line. 

My plan this year is to control myself and really chill / snooze in the day on at least one day so we can do at least one full overnight session and I definitely want to do some night time bopping at Pangea and Block9 this time around.

I remember this thread from the pre 2019 festival and it was a goldmine of great information and ideas, so thanks in advance to you all for any advice and tips that you share both for me specifically but also the advice you provide everyone else including the many lurkers - I will be back here regularly for more recommendations and tips as the event draws closer. 

In terms of this year: 

Bicep is already booked in by the Missus as her one must not miss, so will be wherever that is for sure. 

Love Regenerator would be a must see for me and missus I reckon - love his take on the old skool sound. 

I love a live dance music production (Prodigy, Kosheen, Orbital, Justice) so if anyone has any tips on something along those lines please chuck it out there!

Also i love Jaguar Skillz and his mash up style, so if there is anyone who does something similar, then again, point me in the right direction.  

Also, adding a plus one for the Trance Classics set from Fuzzy Dunlop - i would be there quicker than you can snap a glow stick. Oi Oi. 

See you on the farm ravers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Spot on, @Supernintendo Chalmers

I've had some great times at Arcadia, notably Jon Hopkins in 2017, which was off. the. scale good. He apparently loved playing that (DJ) set. Now, saying that, my gang were right under the belly of the spider for the whole thing, and so the spectacle of what the spider looks like was much less important than the vibe, company and shared experience. The set was one of my favourite ever and he is a master at creating a 90 minute journey. For me, you *had* to be as close as possibly equidistant from the three leg speaker stacks in the middle and the sound was fantastic. 

I enjoyed my time at Pangea, but as always I wanted to be in the heart of it, right under the middle of the crane. As such, we were often not in the best place sound-wise. I found myself moving around almost between two speakers. But, again, we were with people we love and it was all new and shiny, so good times. 

But nothing like the experience at, say, Genosys. I bloody love that stage. I can dance for HOURS, mesmerised by the fluctuating greens and greys, with the projections baking my noodle nicely. And the sound can be stellar. As mentioned earlier in the thread, HAAi's set in 2019 was a quasi-spiritual experience. I'd love to see her on IICON. 

So, my predictably verbose way of saying that yes, smaller, darker and more intimate is *always* better! 

Ben

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

Me & the Missus came to Glasto for the first time in 2019, i'd been a couple of times way back when in 99/2000 but last year was the first year I persuaded her she would enjoy it having done loads of other festivals and dance events in the past. Good news is, she loved it (obvs) and we snagged a couple of tickets in the resale. 

We love our dance music, but are little bit older (40ish) and mainstream, think big room trance / Radio One DnB / Ibiza / Godskitchen / Gatecrasher plus more so on the Hard House / Hard Trance side Tidy Trax side of things, so the Glastonbury and Bloc9 line ups in particular always read a bit like an underground labyrinth to me. 

We didn't really get to block 9 or Pangea properly last year, and didn't really do a proper late one either (the Missus is straight edge & we did the full daytime Glastonbury experience last year so we were always a bit knackered by the night time).

In terms of our dance music consumption last time we ended up in Silver Hayes a fair bit - Annie Mac, High Contrast and Wilkinson on the Thursday night and we did Wilkinson B2B Subfocus on the Friday night. Then on Saturday we were one of maybe 50 people who decided to watch Kosheen's headline set on the Flying Bus Stage which was awesome before catching the end of the Chems from the railway line. 

My plan this year is to control myself and really chill / snooze in the day on at least one day so we can do at least one full overnight session and I definitely want to do some night time bopping at Pangea and Block9 this time around.

I remember this thread from the pre 2019 festival and it was a goldmine of great information and ideas, so thanks in advance to you all for any advice and tips that you share both for me specifically but also the advice you provide everyone else including the many lurkers - I will be back here regularly for more recommendations and tips as the event draws closer. 

In terms of this year: 

Bicep is already booked in by the Missus as her one must not miss, so will be wherever that is for sure. 

Love Regenerator would be a must see for me and missus I reckon - love his take on the old skool sound. 

I love a live dance music production (Prodigy, Kosheen, Orbital, Justice) so if anyone has any tips on something along those lines please chuck it out there!

Also i love Jaguar Skillz and his mash up style, so if there is anyone who does something similar, then again, point me in the right direction.  

Also, adding a plus one for the Trance Classics set from Fuzzy Dunlop - i would be there quicker than you can snap a glow stick. Oi Oi. 

See you on the farm ravers.

Oh mate! You really need to explore all that the SEC has to offer! And what's all this 'might manage one all-nighter'??

40? You're spring chickens! The model is:

Wendesday - find your sea legs
Thursday - bands dotted around in the day and then SEC/PsyTrance in the Glade Lounge until 3am. Chance for a slightly more generous sleep allocation. 
Fri/Sat/Sun - bands from 1130h, dance midnight to 0600h (5 on Monday morning) anywhere from Beat Hotel (its successor...), through Silver Hayes, Arcadia and then the whole shebang that is the SEC. 

Monday - don't even think about Monday

It gets harder as you get older, but that 4 night run is phenomenal!

Welcome to the best thread on the 'boards. 

Ben 🙃

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

The model is:

Thursday - bands dotted around in the day and then SEC/PsyTrance in the Glade Lounge until 3am. Chance for a slightly more generous sleep allocation. 
Fri/Sat/Sun - bands from 1130h, dance midnight to 0600h (5 on Monday morning) anywhere from Beat Hotel (its successor...), through Silver Hayes, Arcadia and then the whole shebang that is the SEC. 

THIS!!!

11 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Oh mate! You really need to explore all that the SEC has to offer! And what's all this 'might manage one all-nighter'??

Ben 🙃

Lol - 1130h to 0600h 3 days on the push might be a bit much, but i am planning on a much more leisurely Weds & Thursday this year - did a full lap of the site on both days just to get oriented, so i reckon a 1500h to 0300h three nights on the bounce is probably a bit more doable - with maybe one sunrise session thrown in for fun. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben 🙃

Sound advice, as ever

x

A doctor writes ....jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthbanKen said:

Lol - 1130h to 0600h 3 days on the push might be a bit much, but i am planning on a much more leisurely Weds & Thursday this year - did a full lap of the site on both days just to get oriented, so i reckon a 1500h to 0300h three nights on the bounce is probably a bit more doable - with maybe one sunrise session thrown in for fun. 

If it makes you feel any better I’m 31 in May and don’t know how the fuck I’m gonna do a 4/5 day festival either. Say you’re as old as ya feel and I feel ancient.

Just now, Tommy Dickfingers said:

If it makes you feel any better I’m 31 in May and don’t know how the fuck I’m gonna do a 4/5 day festival either. Say you’re as old as ya feel and I feel ancient.

Yup, I feel like those few lockdowns of doing fuck all we had over the last couple of years aged me a decade. No idea how I’m going to hack five nights of sleep deprivation, booze, getting on it, and the rest, but goddamn am I gonna give it my best. 

18 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

This came on in my headphones in the gym today... not heard it for a long time.

Absolute hard trance classic. I'd love to see a trance classics set at Glastonbury... preferably with me playing it! Spaceport would be perfect

This would be amazing. 

10 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

There was discussion briefly on this forum (not necessarily this thread) that maybe there was an outside chance of him being the Saturday night Other Stage headliner. There was nothing to base it on, just blind speculation really. Given the information that a few trusted posters on here have shared, the Love Regenerator Pangea set seems more likely

That was what I was largely thinking/getting at, would be ideal for me but let's see.

his other stuff is a bit more mainstream, but the new Flume track 'Sirens' is really something special, has anything been said about his whereabouts during the time the festival goes on? seems to be a gap in his tour dates - real headache on where and when i'd put him though