Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Thats awesome, got more into loyle carner recently a lot he is certainly talented as is tom misch. I'm very excited to see Glass Animals on a big stage, i saw them at a 300 cap venue after the truck crash with the drummer in 2019 and have now seen them 6 times, but not once at a festival (plus they have broken out so much more since even when i last saw them in November).

I've seen the justice one, fantastic set

I really hope Overmono play, would really like to see Prospa as well - I'm just hoping my group are cut out for the dance acts as I know a few of them definitely won't be getting to like 3-4am easily. Whereabouts did you camp by the way and how was it?

Yeah listen the 3-4 am push is hard, we were usually sick of dancing by 3 and went and sat in stone circle for a few hours, which was probs the groups favourite spot of the festival. 

our pals brought our tent in and pitched in Dairy Ground. It was grand, close to the Co-Op and easy to find at 5/6am (because of Co-Op land mark), and close enough to toilets but not too close. It was a bit of a trek from Other to pop back after the headliners (we were at Chems and Tame) to get warmer clothes tho. It was also quite quiet and we were definitely not quiet, so in hindsight I felt bad on our neighbours, though there were no complaints or issues at the time. 

We’re on a coach this year so pretty dependent on when we get there, but aiming for Oxylers for a bit less travel and more party vibes.

5 hours ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

Would love to see Jeff Mills at Glastonbury! Not sure he plays many consecutive gigs these days...fingers crossed though.

Has he ever played at the festival before?

That's a good question. I didn't think so but a quick Google suggests he may have played an unannounced set on the Glade in 2004 

That's a surprise re: Jeff Mills not playing Glastonbury very often, thought he would have appeared much more than that. I'll be seeing JM in September at Electric Picnic in Ireland, on their new Terminus stage, which is about the size of JPT and built from shipping containers with a tent roof on it. 

16 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Anyway, you'll have a great first time @gfa. One big tip is: integrate your mealtimes / recovery pints around West Holts.

It's got probably the best stage-adjacent food options on site, plenty of benches, the Brothers Bar, the music programmed around lunch / early teatime is invariably great (normally jazz, electronica or an elder statesman of African funk) and the vibe is usually very bubbly.

You're more likely to catch a spirited young act that get you from bleary foot-tapping to up-and-dancing there than anywhere else, imo. Especially useful if you've been stomping 'til 4am.

Very much this. My fave place to start the day. 

Close 2nd would be sitting on the hill up at The Park. 

18 hours ago, David_303 said:

Orbital in the Glade would be off the hook. 

That would be amazing, although I heard a rumour the other day that, due to cost cutting measures, there won't be a Glade Stage this year.

EDIT : Realised someone else just said this.

Also heard that Avalon Cafe won't be there (not really relevant to this thread though) and that Silver Hayes will be pared back.

Edited by Johnnyseven

53 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Some absolutely golden runs on IICON I expect to take place again, including a Sunday night that had me salivating. Please don’t expect Charlotte/Amelie/Carl types though — it’s not the stage for that and never will be. Think more British bass & heavy heritage.

Also, I'm glad that IICON will 'never' become somewhere just to stick the big, popular names. As you imply, that's not what Block9 is about at all, and thank goodness for that. Man, do I want that Block9 drop now!!!

Ben

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Also, I'm glad that IICON will 'never' become somewhere just to stick the big, popular names. As you imply, that's not what Block9 is about at all, and thank goodness for that. Man, do I want that Block9 drop now!!!

Ben

Here here. The team at Bloc9 have my total and utter faith in their designs and bookings. I’d hate to see them compromise on bookings because of the space they have. 

2 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Has there been any whispers about what is going to replace The Beat Hotel? 

Perhaps I've missed some info, if anything more recent has been shared here, but it should be the same team behind it, just a new concept. 

I think that's the same info we had when they left in 2019, so looking forward to whatever is up their sleeves.

Expecting it to have a decent lineup throughout, always found the Beat Hotel quite essential in splitting the dance crowd in the later stages of the night. Especially when the likes of Jamie XX, DJ Seinfeld, Palms Trax, Haai, Daniel Avery drop in. 

Always a bit of a tough choice for me, SE Corner or Beat Hotel depending on whose playing where. You could do both if you've got the legs for it at the wee hours, I've found that by the time I reach SE Corner at 3/4am I'm too knackered to keep it going much longer.

3 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

While I’ve not heard that, I can corroborate what others have been saying about a lot of changes behind-the-scenes in terms of booking teams and hired guns, specifically within the dance zones. The overhaul should pay dividends for the kind of music this thread enjoys most.

It feels trite to say this, but covid was a real scrambler. I don’t know if the projected amendments to IICON will come to pass (I posted about it ages ago, basically they were retooling the layout and soundsystem after some teething problems). One absolutely ginormous plan for IICON is now in the weeds.

Some absolutely golden runs on IICON I expect to take place again, including a Sunday night that had me salivating. Please don’t expect Charlotte/Amelie/Carl types though — it’s not the stage for that and never will be. Think more British bass & heavy heritage.

All the good rumours about mega electronic heroes being booked for late night DJ slots are true from what I know. The outlier is RDJ but keep the faith.

There’s some very exciting American DJ legends in for NYCDL. Two of them have dates announced in the country for the week before Glasto… maybe one has been mentioned already lately… 👀

One major Detroit legend was slotted for Block9 in 2020 and had to fall, replaced by another — who was an improvement on every front. I’ll let you do the math on that one.

If I was a betting man, I’d say a strong dab up on Prospa and Overmono. But the blunt truth is, a lot of acts are not locked in. They’re set to play, with dates ringfenced, but it’s coming together later than usual.

Might be able to say more soon!

Legend mate, lots to digest there.

Robert Hood in for JM?

While I appreciate IICON staying in its lane, I’d still like one act  slightly more main stream (relative to 2019) - my ideal for it would be HAAI, but I dunno if that’s the kind of thing they’ll be going for.

interesting about acts not being locked in - seems so late in the day! But yeah I’d be crazy shocked if we don’t get overmono snd prospa, both of which would be great live sets

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

Gonna go out on an unpopular limb here and say that IICON probably could stand to be just a lil bit more populist, the space felt far too big for the crowds it was pulling in 2019. Either that or stick something else in that field at least, felt very sparse as it was. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Yeah listen the 3-4 am push is hard, we were usually sick of dancing by 3 and went and sat in stone circle for a few hours, which was probs the groups favourite spot of the festival. 

our pals brought our tent in and pitched in Dairy Ground. It was grand, close to the Co-Op and easy to find at 5/6am (because of Co-Op land mark), and close enough to toilets but not too close. It was a bit of a trek from Other to pop back after the headliners (we were at Chems and Tame) to get warmer clothes tho. It was also quite quiet and we were definitely not quiet, so in hindsight I felt bad on our neighbours, though there were no complaints or issues at the time. 

We’re on a coach this year so pretty dependent on when we get there, but aiming for Oxylers for a bit less travel and more party vibes.

I am pretty up for 3-4am push but i'm not sure anyone else is unless theres a big name to pull them towards the end.

Other to Dairy Ground doesn't look to bad, its pretty much the nearest thing to Dairy Ground. We're hoping for Oxylers too I think, got two people on the 6am London coach now so we think it might be do-able! Dairy Ground a back-up maybe, i think our group is very reliant on the co-op and will be happy its nearby as its been at most festivals we've done before.

5 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Anyway, you'll have a great first time @gfa. One big tip is: integrate your mealtimes / recovery pints around West Holts.

It's got probably the best stage-adjacent food options on site, plenty of benches, the Brothers Bar, the music programmed around lunch / early teatime is invariably great (normally jazz, electronica or an elder statesman of African funk) and the vibe is usually very bubbly.

You're more likely to catch a spirited young act that get you from bleary foot-tapping to up-and-dancing there than anywhere else, imo. Especially useful if you've been stomping 'til 4am.

No doubt 🙂

Thanks for the tip regarding West Holts. Hoping to get around and visit all the main stages really and see where i'm the biggest fan of.

14 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Legend mate, lots to digest there.

Robert Hood in for JM?

While I appreciate IICON staying in its lane, I’d still like one act  slightly more main stream (relative to 2019) - my ideal for it would be HAAI, but I dunno if that’s the kind of thing they’ll be going for.

interesting about acts not being locked in - seems so late in the day! But yeah I’d be crazy shocked if we don’t get overmono snd prospa, both of which would be great live sets

I saw the video of Prospa on Printworks instagram doing their first live set, playing ecstacy and it looked fantastic - crowd very much up for it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbYTBqVAmbV/ second slide

Edited by gfa