Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

21 minutes ago, Tuna said:

This does not make someone a spokesperson.

Obviously I don't disagree with your point.

I didn’t say it did? 

Edit: I just re-read Supernintend's post, makes sense now.

Edited by stuie

Good mix from Hessle Audio boss Pangaea - not explicitly down for doing any sets but I'd assume it'll be him and Ben doing the Hessle Audio slot at IICON

The Hessle Audio boys are always a must see from me - probably be a bit of a harder set than this at Glasto and definitely up my street

Can't seem to add to the google doc thingy

38 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Care to elaborate on this? Seems like a massive stretch and a bit of an odd thing to say.

Sure thing. Maybe I've not articulated myself particularly well or not chosen the correct terminology.

What I mean to say is that maybe after a period of much-needed reflection, education and self-improvement he could demonstrate this by supporting the very groups that he was responsible for offending/abusing? He has a huge male following and as such is more than likely to be very influential. Recognising and apologising for his abhorrent behaviour is the first step, making steps to make positive personal changes is the next. Having seen the upset he's caused others, (hopefully) learned from his mistakes and educated himself, maybe he could now use his influence and status to educate others both within his peer group and those who support him? 

22 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Sure thing. Maybe I've not articulated myself particularly well or not chosen the correct terminology.

What I mean to say is that maybe after a period of much-needed reflection, education and self-improvement he could demonstrate this by supporting the very groups that he was responsible for offending/abusing? He has a huge male following and as such is more than likely to be very influential. Recognising and apologising for his abhorrent behaviour is the first step, making steps to make positive personal changes is the next. Having seen the upset he's caused others, (hopefully) learned from his mistakes and educated himself, maybe he could now use his influence and status to educate others both within his peer group and those who support him? 

Thanks SC. Sure -- I think directing people towards external resources, and groups especially within dance culture that are educational and promoting equality, etc. are very valuable things that should definitely be done, by anyone.

As we've spoken about at length in this thread many times, so much of dance culture stems from queer movements and spaces, acceptance, equality, freedom. And there are some excellent current groups in dance music in the UK doing a great job of educating people --- take Siren for instance, who are represented in Block9 this year. For me... I think it would be a good idea to let other people do the talking, but use his existing following to promote what they do. For now, at least. (This is what I was querying previously, with the 'spokesperson' thing)

Edited by Tuna
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Glad to see him back myself, what he did was wrong but it was an isolated incident. Doesn’t deserve his life ruining over a mistake. The lad clearly had a some issues like and his ald man dying probably sent him spiralling out of contro

Agreed, by the sounds of it he had a lot on his plate and wasn't dealing with it in the best of ways.  

Jackmaster has always been nothing but a top guy whenever I've seen him and is genuinely one of the nicest DJs I've met.  When the news broke about his actions the other year I was shocked but as more details emerged of the situation (the drug use, issues with family etc), it started to make a little more sense.  Not that it justified his actions in any way but it did go some way to explain the situation that caused it.

The main thing is that he has accepted responsibility for his actions. The cynic in me does think that he's released this statement  now in time for the summer season so he might get a few bookings but who knows

10 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

maybe he could now use his influence and status to educate others both within his peer group and those who support him? 

I hope he does. While it would be (somewhat) easier to brush this incident under the rug, I'd be disappointed if he did and not used this as an opportunity to educate his supporters. 

43 minutes ago, joemason96 said:

Good mix from Hessle Audio boss Pangaea - not explicitly down for doing any sets but I'd assume it'll be him and Ben doing the Hessle Audio slot at IICON

The Hessle Audio boys are always a must see from me - probably be a bit of a harder set than this at Glasto and definitely up my street

Can't seem to add to the google doc thingy

I'm expecting it to be all three of them for the IICON Hessle session...Pearson Sound has a set at Stonebridge and Ben UFO in the Beat Hotel. Pangaea had better be there too as he's the most consistently techy of the trio ;)

Ben

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'm expecting it to be all three of them for the IICON Hessle session...Pearson Sound has a set at Stonebridge and Ben UFO in the Beat Hotel. Pangaea had better be there too as he's the most consistently techy of the trio ;)

Ben

I think our late night Saturday will largely be Larry Heard followed by these punters. 

I shall be putting this to The Late Club Committee as a pending motion. 

Right. This is what I've put together so far. Obviously I've got just under four weeks of fiddling with it, but my final plan won't be too far away from this:

Thursday
George Fitzgerald - live (Glade)
Liquid Ross (Glade Lounge)
Regan (Glade Lounge)
Randomer (Genosys)
Partok (Genosys)

Friday
Hodge (Wow!) - possible
Altern8 (Spaceport) - possible
Jon Hopkins - live (West Holts)
Carl Cox b2b Jamie Jones (Pangea)
Charlotte de Witte (Pangea)
Zenker Brothers (IICON)
Stenny (IICON)

Saturday
Spektre (Spaceport) - probable
Seth Troxler (Glade) - possible
Four Tet (Pangea)
gets a bit hazy here...the concern is getting into the SEC for certain for 0200h, so that might be the determinant
Jim Bitch (Blind Tiger) - not likely, but possible
HAAi (Genosys) and/or Hessle (IICON)
Monika Kruse (Temple)

Sunday
Giant Swan (Glade)
Josh Wink (Genosys)
(hopefully 20 mins of Max Cooper in the Gas Tower, if I can be confident of getting to and from Block9)
Karenn (IICON)
Combination/variation of Felix Dickinson (Genosys)/Seth Troxler (Temple)/Altern8 & Slipmatt (Gas Tower)

Power turns off

Cries at thought of a whole year to wait

Come @ me...

Ben

38 minutes ago, rubick said:

@bennyhana22 Needs more beats mate.

Ha!

My main challenges are:

1. a ridiculous but unshakable anxiety about getting into the SEC when I want to. When I'm on a big night, I really only stop for a quick wee or to get a drink. The idea of, say, leaving the Beat Hotel at 0130h only then to wait in a SEC queue for an hour or, even worse, see the worst sign in the world "The SEC is full and closed at access. Please try elsewhere" fills me with a cold dread. As such, there will be a degree of strategy to make sure that I don't have to stop dancing. The biggest loss from this this year is having to miss Avalon Emerson, who I dearly would have liked to see (even though I'm not a fan of the BH).

2. I'm just not a daytime dancer. For me, raving takes lace exclusively in the dark, the near dark or, quite wonderfully, in the dawn light. It doesn't happen in the middle of the afternoon under blazing sunshine. So, I'm pretty much invariably bands all day, DJs all night. I'm going to the Sat and Sun of Dimensions** and I'll not go to either day until 8pm or so, notwithstanding the beach/boat parties in the day etc. I'll leave that stuff to the (my!) kids.

Ben

**Day splits for Dimensions out today:

Losses - will miss Nina Kraviz, Skee Mask (particularly disappointed about this), Helena Hauff

Wins - we get DVS1, Blawan, Paula Temple (massively pleased about this. Would LOVE to have seen her on Genosys/Pangea), Hessle, Stingray and Radioactive Man

58 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Right. This is what I've put together so far. Obviously I've got just under four weeks of fiddling with it, but my final plan won't be too far away from this:

Thursday
George Fitzgerald - live (Glade)
Liquid Ross (Glade Lounge)
Regan (Glade Lounge)
Randomer (Genosys)
Partok (Genosys)

Friday
Hodge (Wow!) - possible
Altern8 (Spaceport) - possible
Jon Hopkins - live (West Holts)
Carl Cox b2b Jamie Jones (Pangea)
Charlotte de Witte (Pangea)
Zenker Brothers (IICON)
Stenny (IICON)

Saturday
Spektre (Spaceport) - probable
Seth Troxler (Glade) - possible
Four Tet (Pangea)
gets a bit hazy here...the concern is getting into the SEC for certain for 0200h, so that might be the determinant
Jim Bitch (Blind Tiger) - not likely, but possible
HAAi (Genosys) and/or Hessle (IICON)
Monika Kruse (Temple)

Sunday
Giant Swan (Glade)
Josh Wink (Genosys)
(hopefully 20 mins of Max Cooper in the Gas Tower, if I can be confident of getting to and from Block9)
Karenn (IICON)
Combination/variation of Felix Dickinson (Genosys)/Seth Troxler (Temple)/Altern8 & Slipmatt (Gas Tower)

Power turns off

Cries at thought of a whole year to wait

Come @ me...

Ben

Nice choices!

I've just saved a copy of this to my icloud files for ease of reference! 

Are you going to Junction 2 Ben?

2 hours ago, joeruss said:

Hopefully... there's not many DJs like Jackmaster

He needed to properly address the situation after his very vague statement last year and I feel he's now done that.

Didn't he release basically the same statement at the time? Sure I recall him initially putting something out, followed by a further statement addressing things in more detail which is pretty much what his most recent statement covers. It's a difficult thing to get right isn't it? The rehabiliation and stuff, I just hope it all gets done properly, and all of the effected parties are cool with it.

This year will be a very relaxed affair for me 

not a lot of reasons to get up early, which realistically gives me license to spend all night getting on it.

going to be a vintage year, especially with Saturday night looking as good as it does

18 minutes ago, stuie said:

Nice choices!

I've just saved a copy of this to my icloud files for ease of reference! 

Are you going to Junction 2 Ben?

Sadly not, though as everyone on here who reads the rubbish I write would confirm, the line-up for me would be off the scale.

Dimensions should be pretty great, though - the venues at the Fort look fantastic.

Ben

8 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Sadly not, though as everyone on here who reads the rubbish I write would confirm, the line-up for me would be off the scale.

Dimensions should be pretty great, though - the venues at the Fort look fantastic.

Ben

Yep... I read your posts and that's what I was thinking!

I've never got round to Dimensions and now I'm a bit gutted as it's the last one at The Fort - I've definitely missed out.

10 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Nah but if I was gonna I’d be watching Stingray.

Saw him at Phonox before Sunfall a year or two ago. I went to see Pearson Sound and he was on afterwards. Not normally my thing but he brought a lot of energy so I stayed for it, and had no complaints!

Not sure where I'll end up. Plenty of DJs, plenty of venues and plenty of alcohol is a good mix though.

1 hour ago, shuttlep said:

This year will be a very relaxed affair for me 

not a lot of reasons to get up early, which realistically gives me license to spend all night getting on it.

going to be a vintage year, especially with Saturday night looking as good as it does

? a relaxed year he says!

I'm super excited now. There's so much new stuff I just can't wait to get stuck in. I wonder will the beat hotel be any bigger this year considering the bookings?

This is a complete head melt. A good one tho. Everytime I think I have it sussed I get a "but what about xxx who's on then too" from across the dinner table as we try and plan our must sees. 

And that's just with the djs, not sure how I'm going to fit in any bands.

41 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Mano le Tough has a TBA, TBA on his tour dates on the Sunday. I take it there isn't anywhere on the line-up that could be?

He really owes you, doesn't he, Mez?!

Other than that Pangea TBA, I don't see any obvious gaps...and he ain't playing there, I think we'd all agree.

Anywhere with a space in Silver Hayes? Beat Hotel, his natural stomping ground, seems all sewn up.

Ben