Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

On 10/30/2021 at 3:24 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Yeah, agree with this a lot, @Matt42 

There was lots to enjoy about Waterworks festival in September, good sound on a number of the stages etc, but I found to really hard to get to, get into and see out a full set. That was partly my fault as I probably tried to see too many DJs and so was bouncing between stages too much (Moi? Surely not...), but also maybe that it wasn't quite my ideal environment. I love dancing outside, but I also 'have' to be right in a crowd to feel part of the set. That was impossible at WW without being in a position where it was so rammed that dancing was impossible. I can't understand why so many people seem content to be shoulder to shoulder with no way of moving more than an inch, at a rave. Surely that's missing the whole point, isn't it? That leads me back to the (gentle and non-pompous) challenge that so, so many people now seem to go to events to be as close as possible to their idol DJ, rather than go to immerse themselves in the dance and the music. Ho hum! 

1. we defo need to get at least one set meet-up of threaders at GF2022, so we can put out philosophy into practice 

2. we defo have to get @Supernintendo Chalmers to GF2022...

Ben

Ahhh, that's very kind of you, Ben. I do enjoy this thread, my favourite on the site in all honesty, full of passionate, knowledgeable and totally unpretentious people. I love hearing about everyone's weekend adventures and there's not a week that goes by without me discovering something new, thanks to you guys. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Dar Disku are fantastic — I heartily recommend Moving Still too if you're in the mood for more of that kind of sound. It's electrifying when pulled off. Reckon you'll dig this: https://djmag.com/features/fresh-kicks-152-moving-still

Ooft this is fucking great! Thank you.  

It was so refreshing to just have a different sound pumping out through the speakers last night. Completely stole the show! One of them ones where you could be stone cold sober and still be absolutely causing it. 

• 1 month later...

Should have been in Budapest for NYE but sacked it off before Omicron was a thing. Considered a few events in London and Bristol but couldn't be bothered in the end. Never been a huge fan of the NYE hype. Not got any club nights in the books yet, just waiting to see how everything plays out, post-Christmas. I have a handful of gigs already booked but I'm reluctant to commit to anything new. I suppose my first official foray into anything electronic would be Primavera weekend two in June, and as amazing that'll be, that length of time without a club or warehouse event is quite depressing. That all said, I'm more confident about the situation than I was this time last year. 

Hope you all had a great Christmas, and whatever you do over NYE, be safe and give us your rave reports afterwards! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

That was really, really, really good. Hugely heartening to see a six-room club packed out and such a young, vibrant, diverse, queer and discerning crowd. The music was adventurous and people were scaling the benches, speakers and walls with every surge of breakbeats or jackhammering kicks. We even dropped The Futureheads for a laugh at 3am and it worked ('pro' tip: Hounds of Love's call-and-response intro mixes perfectly with jungle)

The Cause were stringent on the door too with LFT checks so there was a feeling of calm and safety, even with in-venue security looking the other way at blatant extracurriculars being taken all over the place.

Quite a few kink-ravers out in force rocking leather dog masks and harnesses etc, which doubles up as a nice bit of covid security if that's your thing.

Really did away with so much of the accumulated December gloom in one fell sweep.

Was this the free rave? I'm going to the NYD final Adonis at the Cause on Saturday. it's going to be real emotional saying goodbye to a venue that has provided so many fond memories.

Won't miss that cloakroom queue in winter though.

18 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Nothing amongst this lot to get too excited about but it'd be nice to see Felix Da Housecat, Oakey, Dub FX and Saunderson on the Farm. A trip down memory lane with Sanchez, Terry and JPL would make for a fun evening somewhere though. 

Screenshot_20211231-191121.thumb.png.b8bbb25b89dc40458968c14bf59219f8.png

I'm bamboozled at the concept of what 'VIP' might mean at an event like that 😆

Ben

NYE was fairly uneventful (we DJ'd a mates house party) but made the super last minute decision to go to Strange Brew last night for Chris Farrell, Ellie Stokes, and some others.

Wowww, so fucking good! Incredible and super friendly crowd where everyone was just out for a great time. Me and my flat mate two man missioned it so we were fully on that meeting new people vibe and it happened so effortlessly. One of those ones where you could dance on your own for awhile and then just meet a new pal instantly. Can't believe this was my first time at Strange Brew, just as I'm about to go to South America for three months. Already missing the place.

The tunes were potentially the most on point for any event I've ever been to as well. Some proper heads down techno, some naughty 303 acid wobblers, New Order, Blondie, Womack & Womack, even a bit of punk and Bronski Beat as the last song - it had it ALL. 

Special mention to this lovely little Kylie refix: 

1 hour ago, Zacko said:

super friendly crowd

Dunno if everyone has found the same but every event I've attended since the reopening, the vibes have been great. Not sure if I'm imagining it or if the celebration of being back on the dancefloor has improved the atmosphere? 

1 hour ago, Zacko said:

Womack & Womack

"Love Wars" is my jam. 

13 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Dunno if everyone has found the same but every event I've attended since the reopening, the vibes have been great. Not sure if I'm imagining it or if the celebration of being back on the dancefloor has improved the atmosphere? 

"Love Wars" is my jam. 

Absolute groover of a track ❤️

Agreed re the crowds! I think NYD was even more so this vibe because you just know anyone out on NYD is up for a proper party. Loved it.

I think that's my final UK rave until at least April now, feels a bit weird but Glasto will loom large when I'm back and I CAN NOT WAIT. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, gfa said:

Announced for fabric this saturday ICYMI - filling in for someone else. Not sure if your London but thought i'd let you know 🙂 

Yeah, I saw that they replaced Dettmann. I'm not in London this weekend, unfortunately. They keep eluding me...but they're pretty active over here, I'll catch them somewhere 😂 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Caribou at the O2 Bristol tomorrow - anyone been to this tour yet? What should I expect? 

Have you seen them live before, since Swim? Basically that with new songs. The visuals are better these days though! 

• Upvote 1