Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Fabric birthday was good fun but not as strong as previous years.

Craig Richards was a bit boring, was quite underwhelmed with his set. Sonja was very good but Ricardo turned up 35 minutes early and kicked her off. Was a bit surprised at that!

Ricardo seemed very much on form and played very well. More of a all killer no filler set from him.. he usually spends some time dicking about but he got straight into this time. Played some dance floor classics. He also mixed in this beautiful funky / deep disco track with a beautiful melody. Really nice moment, would love to know a) how he mixed it in as it definitely had no 4/4 beat and b) what on earth the song was.

Some set highlights.

DA7DDA01-5D66-4A23-9716-147517777445.jpeg

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Ricardo seemed very much on form and played very well. More of a all killer no filler set from him.. he usually spends some time dicking about but he got straight into this time. Played some danc He also mixed in this beautiful funky / deep disco track with a beautiful melody. 

Turns out it was Bryan ferry! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'm going

As am I, first time going to Fabric and clubbing in London in general (was meant to be printworks a few weeks later for chems but jumped at this). Very much looking forward to it, interested to see if security are as crazy as everyone says

2 hours ago, gfa said:

As am I, first time going to Fabric and clubbing in London in general (was meant to be printworks a few weeks later for chems but jumped at this). Very much looking forward to it, interested to see if security are as crazy as everyone says

If you’ve never been to fabric before I am jealous for you. It’s my favourite club and I wish I could experience it as a newbie again. 

Security can be tight but my advice would be to respect the fact the club has been under tight scrutiny in the past few years and almost got taken away for us completely. Keep things where no one can find them and the downstairs cubicles with the locks are your best friend.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

If you’ve never been to fabric before I am jealous for you. It’s my favourite club and I wish I could experience it as a newbie again. 

Security can be tight but my advice would be to respect the fact the club has been under tight scrutiny in the past few years and almost got taken away for us completely. Keep things where no one can find them and the downstairs cubicles with the locks are your best friend.

Thanks for the tip - incredibly excited and been looking forward to a fabric night for a very long time. Hoping it lives up to the expectations and completely understand the scrutiny etc

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

This will be great, bagged a pair. God bless Shaun, truly lovely man.

The Haai, Erol Alkan and Daniel Avery b2b2b will be fun. The whole night should have a festival feel, with so many genres represented. Been waiting for a night like this for a long time, it's a shame it's necessary of course but nice to see the community pull together for a friend

On 10/23/2021 at 9:43 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The state of that. One of the biggest threats to club culture in this country is property development

I feel like a lot of the time club operators are given the keys to old buildings / land by mega corporations / land owners specifically to kind of make an area look cool before they inevitably have to make way for the original purpose for which the land was acquired. Canal Mills in leeds is also a good example, its now being demolished and flats / houses built on it. 

the clubs are rarely meant to be there for the long haul just as a stop gap until finance and design are in place and to “kick off” the regeneration project, so to speak. Its all gentrification in the end.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

I feel like a lot of the time club operators are given the keys to old buildings / land by mega corporations / land owners specifically to kind of make an area look cool before they inevitably have to make way for the original purpose for which the land was acquired. Canal Mills in leeds is also a good example, its now being demolished and flats / houses built on it. 

the clubs are rarely meant to be there for the long haul just as a stop gap until finance and design are in place and to “kick off” the regeneration project, so to speak. Its all gentrification in the end.

That's a really interesting point. I guess the Hacienda is also a good example of a development with an increased profile because of what came before it. 

I think we'll probably lose Motion in Bristol at some stage in the future. They seem to be constantly battling one organisation or another in order to survive. I appreciate that these venues are usually temporary and there's something romantic about looking back and remembering some great days and nights there, it's just the cynical nature of how we lose them is frustrating. Hopefully, as long as there are entrepreneurs with vision, there'll always be decent replacements.

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That's a really interesting point. I guess the Hacienda is also a good example of a development with an increased profile because of what came before it. 

I think we'll probably lose Motion in Bristol at some stage in the future. They seem to be constantly battling one organisation or another in order to survive. I appreciate that these venues are usually temporary and there's something romantic about looking back and remembering some great days and nights there, it's just the cynical nature of how we lose them is frustrating. Hopefully, as long as there are entrepreneurs with vision, there'll always be decent replacements.

Definitely seems that way doesn't it? A real shame. The countless sweaty nights and early mornings I've had in that place ❤️ 

Went in 2019 and there's some serious vibes at the stage under the motorway. 

If I went again I'd do the Friday for sure. It was all a bit samey on the Saturday. Not bad by any means, and I had a great time, but I wanted a few more shoulder-shakers by the end of the day yaknow 

On 10/28/2021 at 1:57 PM, Zacko said:

Definitely seems that way doesn't it? A real shame. The countless sweaty nights and early mornings I've had in that place ❤️ 

I really hope it’s not the case. It’s a great club, but they do seem to be swimming against the tide. There’s nothing else of that scale in Bristol / South Wales either. We’re drowning in shitty tech house in Wales. 

As a positive they’re announcing their schedule for the new year this Monday coming. Hoping to head over for a night or two as I haven’t managed any since they’ve reopened. 

On 10/29/2021 at 12:52 PM, stuie said:

Thoughts on this? 

Capture2.JPG

Obviously it would be the Saturday that I would look at, and when I saw it last week I was a bit...depressed/frustrated.

It's just the same old names all the time. Why is that? Is it because the promotors know that these names sell tickets? It just seems that the (techno) scene has moved inexorably towards line-ups that cater for people who aren't that fussed about dancing to a really innovative or adventurous set. They just want the 4/4 bangers from names they recognise. I'm not articulating this very well, and I also have to acknowledge that we are looking at one of the best known UK summer dance festivals, rather than a nicely grubby underground rave at a small venue run by those who really 'care' about the culture.

Typically long-winded from me, sorry, but yeah, all a bit same old same old. I'm excited about the WHP event I'm going to four weeks today because I know that the choices I make will often take me away from the superstar-DJ-casual-raver-attractors...

I'm not being snobbish and elitist about this, I promise, I just wish there were more opportunities for me to see artists who understand what makes a techno rave, in the way that I do.

I'm open to anyone @ing me about this!

Ben
x

@bennyhana22 I went to junction 2 on its first year I think? It was interesting. I guess the production was good for a London event and that stage under the bridge is something special.

However the crowd was awful and it felt like too much of a mix match of artists. Each area seemed to have its own clientele and there was no cohesion in the audience. While I love festivals because you get your moneys worth by seeing as many bands as you can - I can’t say this is equivalent for DJs. My preference has always been for well catered lineups with less DJs but longer sets. An event with only 2/3 DJs or an all night long is my preference over 10 DJs and 1 hour sets. 

All strokes for different folks but I feel when you go to these day festivals you come back feeling like you’ve seen half a set? Not the full shebang?

They are good for gatherings with friends but if you are after the set of your life you won’t find it!

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

@bennyhana22 I went to junction 2 on its first year I think? It was interesting. I guess the production was good for a London event and that stage under the bridge is something special.

However the crowd was awful and it felt like too much of a mix match of artists. Each area seemed to have its own clientele and there was no cohesion in the audience. While I love festivals because you get your moneys worth by seeing as many bands as you can - I can’t say this is equivalent for DJs. My preference has always been for well catered lineups with less DJs but longer sets. An event with only 2/3 DJs or an all night long is my preference over 10 DJs and 1 hour sets. 

All strokes for different folks but I feel when you go to these day festivals you come back feeling like you’ve seen half a set? Not the full shebang?

They are good for gatherings with friends but if you are after the set of your life you won’t find it!

Yeah, agree with this a lot, @Matt42 

There was lots to enjoy about Waterworks festival in September, good sound on a number of the stages etc, but I found to really hard to get to, get into and see out a full set. That was partly my fault as I probably tried to see too many DJs and so was bouncing between stages too much (Moi? Surely not...), but also maybe that it wasn't quite my ideal environment. I love dancing outside, but I also 'have' to be right in a crowd to feel part of the set. That was impossible at WW without being in a position where it was so rammed that dancing was impossible. I can't understand why so many people seem content to be shoulder to shoulder with no way of moving more than an inch, at a rave. Surely that's missing the whole point, isn't it? That leads me back to the (gentle and non-pompous) challenge that so, so many people now seem to go to events to be as close as possible to their idol DJ, rather than go to immerse themselves in the dance and the music. Ho hum! 

1. we defo need to get at least one set meet-up of threaders at GF2022, so we can put out philosophy into practice 

2. we defo have to get @Supernintendo Chalmers to GF2022...

Ben

• Upvote 1

@bennyhana22glastonbury seems to escape this I feel because you’ve already had a full day of good music I don’t feel like everything is riding on the DJ sets at the end of the day. It’s not just a nice to have but it’s not make or break.

Houghton Festival was fantastic because people played and they played long, and you could tell the DJs we’re settling into the sets they were playing not feeling like they had to clock watch. The crowd was also patient too … and that’s something I just don’t see at the day fests. Crowds are looking for that insta moment or the DJ to play that song everyone is playing this summer. 

Plus they are always a bunch of students who are there to compete with each other on how many drugs they can take. Not to say we all haven’t been there before but it really takes everything away.

1 hour ago, Zacko said:

Joy O and Evan Baggs tonight in an old torpedo factory, felt like this one has properly crept up on me! 

Somehow never seen Joy even though he's probably my favourite producer all things considered. This could be a good one. 

Hope it's excellent, pal.

Saw Joy O in a brilliant venue in Birmingham (one of the now-departed Rainbow Venues 😞) on a bill with Scuba and Object. All three were on fire and one of my favourite ever nights.

Ben

23 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hope it's excellent, pal.

Saw Joy O in a brilliant venue in Birmingham (one of the now-departed Rainbow Venues 😞) on a bill with Scuba and Object. All three were on fire and one of my favourite ever nights.

Ben

Oosh, beautiful stuff!

Had a great time last night, Joy O was a vibe. I was most surprised by Dar Disku on the little outdoor stage though (well, a tent with lightboxes for walls, fantastic setup). They played an incredible set of Middle Eastern and Arabic influenced house/techno/disco sounds, the place was absolutely bumping. Really really original, and a proper breath of fresh air. If any of you get a chance to see them, I'd very much recommended!