Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Just seeing the results of the DJ Mag Top 100 DJs vote rolling in on my Instagram feed. I know it creates a fair bit of controversy amongst the DJ community and that many of the good people at DJ Mag itself see it as a necessary evil to tap into the rise in popularity of the EDM scene across the globe over the past decade but what are everyone's thoughts on here? My first impression is, I have no idea who most of these acts are. My second impression is more positive and it shows just how global the electronic music scene is now, which is wonderful.

I wonder what the top ten artists would be on this thread? 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Just seeing the results of the DJ Mag Top 100 DJs vote rolling in on my Instagram feed. I know it creates a fair bit of controversy amongst the DJ community and that many of the good people at DJ Mag itself see it as a necessary evil to tap into the rise in popularity of the EDM scene across the globe over the past decade but what are everyone's thoughts on here? My first impression is, I have no idea who most of these acts are. My second impression is more positive and it shows just how global the electronic music scene is now, which is wonderful.

I wonder what the top ten artists would be on this thread? 

Yeah, I don't know most of them, and a bit of Googling seems to indicate they're pretty generic EDM types. 

I'll put a shout in for Ben Sims in the thread top 10, please!

Ben

32 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Yeah, I don't know most of them, and a bit of Googling seems to indicate they're pretty generic EDM types. 

I'll put a shout in for Ben Sims in the thread top 10, please!

Ben

Sims is a must in the list, the guys a complete and utter machine.

The other Ben (UFO) has to be in there too obvs, as does Hunee 

Honorable mentions:

• Call Super
  • Shanti
  • Bradley Zero
  • Midland 

17 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Have to say that e-Dancer - "Re:Generate" album is one of my releases of the year. Nothing new of course but the remixes give those tunes a wonderful facelift. Been on repeat all weekend.

Special Request can do no wrong in my eyes.

His workrate is insane, feels like we get a Special Request or Woolford tune every week and they're almost always top quality. 

17 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Can any other venues in the UK can do large screen visuals the way Printworks can (I.e. fairly high concept, Chemical Brothers style productions)?

C51A33DA-8BD0-4595-8FEE-443D406DD280.jpeg

Great image! Not one that I'm familiar with. I'd argue that the best venues are those that have been repurposed. Printworks was an inspired choice to use as a venue, I love it there

18 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Can any other venues in the UK can do large screen visuals the way Printworks can (I.e. fairly high concept, Chemical Brothers style productions)?

C51A33DA-8BD0-4595-8FEE-443D406DD280.jpeg

Not been before and didn't realise that Printworks could do this, makes me even more excited for Chems in December.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Not been before and didn't realise that Printworks could do this, makes me even more excited for Chems in December.

Ah yeah it’s pretty crazy what they can do. They somehow have this ability to light the room to make it seem like there’s no back wall and it extends for eternity.

When I was last there Patrick Topping had a pretty cool fairly simplistic thing where it was just 3 coloured balls that looked like planets, that would periodically bounce the length of the very long screen, it was mesmerising.

and lots of stuff like this 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Ah yeah it’s pretty crazy what they can do. They somehow have this ability to light the room to make it seem like there’s no back wall and it extends for eternity.

When I was last there Patrick Topping had a pretty cool fairly simplistic thing where it was just 3 coloured balls that looked like planets, that would periodically bounce the length of the very long screen, it was mesmerising.

and lots of stuff like this 

IMG_5379.MOV

Could you re-send the video or link where its posted, that link won't work 🙂

11 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Ah it’s on Patrick Topping’s Instagram story, so it’ll only be there for about 8 more hours. 

dangit 😄  thanks anyway, leaves a bit more surprise for me at least haha

Starting to make some alternative plans for the week of the Big G, seeing as I'm ticketless and the chances of that changing are slim. There's no way that I can be in the country and not on the farm so I'm considering Awakenings, which I appreciate is also pretty difficult to score tickets for.  I'm correct in thinking that it's usually over the same weekend as Glastonbury, right? Has anyone on this fine thread been before? 

Edit: actually, this might be a non-starter, I'm sure 2020's tickets will have rolled over, too. Gahhhh. 

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Starting to make some alternative plans for the week of the Big G, seeing as I'm ticketless and the chances of that changing are slim. There's no way that I can be in the country and not on the farm so I'm considering Awakenings, which I appreciate is also pretty difficult to score tickets for.  I'm correct in thinking that it's usually over the same weekend as Glastonbury, right? Has anyone on this fine thread been before? 

Please tell me Glastonbury is still number 1 option and this plan is a reserve .... 

On 10/21/2021 at 9:07 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'm interested. Do you know what the "fabricfirst birthday" tickets are? 

I bought a weekend ticket a while ago. I think if you have a fabric first subscription you get a lot of money off your entry.

I love fabric birthday and planning my arrival 😎

8225FA79-5E18-414D-A1DC-D1C40F3FBA55.jpeg

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Thanks Matt, I'm tempted to drop in tomorrow afternoon, now if I can only persuade the GF...

My favourite way to do Fabric Birthday is probably Sunday afternoon to Monday morning. It’s the best vibes.

I feel like the 7/8pm sets always go off. Saw Joy Orbison and Ben UFO one year and they killed it.

Edited by Matt42