Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

On this current discussion theme, can I suggest that people post info about events that they're going to, or that have caught their eye, that maybe showcases more of the types of techno and club stuff we're talking about?

I for one would be really grateful for heads up to nights that are not just more of the same.

Ben

49 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Haai and Avery are good but they do tend to just slam it and try their best to make drops that look good on social media.

Big fan of them both but I do find their sets can be a bit cheesy sometimes. Feels like it’s all about the drops.

Ah is it? That's a shame! May do Dan Shake on the Concourse then...in fact maybe I'll just stay there all day as that run from Bradley through to Hunee is pretty beautiful:

HIGH HOOPS // 14:00 - 15:30
SPACE AFRIKA // 15:30 - 17:00
BRADLEY ZERO // 17:00 - 18:30
CHAOS IN THE CBD // 18:30 - 20:00
DAN SHAKE // 20:00 - 21:30
HUNEE // 21:30 - 23:00
HONEY DIJON // 23:00 - 00:30
THE BLESSED MADONNA // 00:30 - 02:00

Not too fussed on Dijon, something about her sets just doesn't do it for me, can't really explain it. It's almost like...too housey? That probably sounds ridiculous haha. She is great though. 

58 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Haai and Avery are good but they do tend to just slam it and try their best to make drops that look good on social media.

Big fan of them both but I do find their sets can be a bit cheesy sometimes. Feels like it’s all about the drops.

I had never really thought that about Haai on the multiple times that I have seen her before (including that ludicrous Genosys set!) but when she played the ridiculously short 45 min set at Printworks on Friday night I did think it was very cheesy with the drops and all a bit naff. Will put it down as a one off... along with the rest of that event...

@bennyhana22 know you are one for meticulous planning - who are you looking to see in the day at Waterworks?

59 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

On this current discussion theme, can I suggest that people post info about events that they're going to, or that have caught their eye, that maybe showcases more of the types of techno and club stuff we're talking about?

I for one would be really grateful for heads up to nights that are not just more of the same.

Ben

Go to Berlin. Sadly I worry for England's state of clubbing. 

Interesting read

I have not been out to a dance event for sometime now, and not sure I will again (Apart from festivals) but looks like I may not be missing out. When I see someone I want to be taken on a journey that they have designed and that I can be involved in, that involves changing the beat and mood, seems like some people just want it hard all the time, I couldn't keep going with that. I have been to events like that in the past and as others have said I get bored

36 minutes ago, stocky3000 said:

@bennyhana22 know you are one for meticulous planning - who are you looking to see in the day at Waterworks?

What I want to know is how often all the planning goes to shit for Ben 🙂 whether that is Oh My I am enjoying this too much so plan out the window or other reasons and how he copes with it 🙂 

1 hour ago, Zacko said:

Ah is it? That's a shame! May do Dan Shake on the Concourse then...in fact maybe I'll just stay there all day as that run from Bradley through to Hunee is pretty beautiful:

HIGH HOOPS // 14:00 - 15:30
SPACE AFRIKA // 15:30 - 17:00
BRADLEY ZERO // 17:00 - 18:30
CHAOS IN THE CBD // 18:30 - 20:00
DAN SHAKE // 20:00 - 21:30
HUNEE // 21:30 - 23:00
HONEY DIJON // 23:00 - 00:30
THE BLESSED MADONNA // 00:30 - 02:00

Not too fussed on Dijon, something about her sets just doesn't do it for me, can't really explain it. It's almost like...too housey? That probably sounds ridiculous haha. She is great though. 

Caught Dan Shake at APE, really great set, would strongly recommend. 

That is a pretty crazy run, though I would stay through to Honey Dijon imo.

Edited by MaxPower

On 9/21/2021 at 11:59 AM, Zacko said:

Warehouse Project this Saturday will be an interesting one. Concerned I might end up spending most of the day at the bar cause I have work on Monday...anyone know how the queues are? The fear of trying to find mates in the main room is large. 

Not bad at all. £5.50 for 330ml tins of asahi/meantime tho, so have some tips:

- Go into the star & garter for £5 doubles/pints and £4 tins

- Asahi bar at the back of the main room had 0 queues and served actual pints

Found that the crowd were pretty good in letting people back through, especially cause loads of the lads were all "mate, where are you getting ACTUAL pints?" and shielding you like you're a VIP while they mine you for info. 

The food was a nightmare btw, only one truck (plus the pretty hard to find 'plant room') so I'd get a big lunch in... 

Re: social media friendly sets, this is definitely something that'll have been heightened by a combination of the pandemic (any and everyone is out) plus festival season where sets are shorter (and any and everyone is out).

There's a notable change in clientele over the past few years - which is fine - but it's meant that venues are bigger and there's more pressure on those sets.  It's not surprising that DJs feel like they have to play up to it to make them attractive bookings for future events. It sells.

You can still find gold - Lena Willekens' 4pm hour-long slot at Wide Awake was beautiful, OK Williams turning out feel good classics at 3pm at Maiden Voyage - but why would you ever expect those kinda sets to be on the main stage at WHP or Field Day or whatever? 

Come winter when you've got people playing 3 hour sets in venues with a few hundred people, it'll be much better. 

Edited by Tuna

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

Found that the crowd were pretty good in letting people back through, especially cause loads of the lads were all "mate, where are you getting ACTUAL pints?" and shielding you like you're a VIP while they mine you for info. 

The food was a nightmare btw, only one truck (plus the pretty hard to find 'plant room') so I'd get a big lunch in... 

Ah fantastic, love an Asahi! 

3 hours ago, Tuna said:

Damn I had no idea about the actual pints available. I’m not sure if it’s just something that’s creeped in post-COVID or if it’s been the case for a while at these big events but  these almost £6 cans of beer are a load of shite. Luckily snuck rum in so wasn’t too much of a problem, but will certainly be getting myself some pints at the Four Tet one in a couple of weeks.

Edited by FloorFiller

8 hours ago, stocky3000 said:

I had never really thought that about Haai on the multiple times that I have seen her before (including that ludicrous Genosys set!) but when she played the ridiculously short 45 min set at Printworks on Friday night I did think it was very cheesy with the drops and all a bit naff. Will put it down as a one off... along with the rest of that event...

Are you suggesting I am predictable and lacking in spontaneity? How dare you?!

Oh, go on then.

Jossy Mitsu
Bruce b2b Danielle
Bit of Skeezenkers
object blue
Pangaea
End of Batu
Call Shanti*

*Really want to see Shanti, so this is first choice for closers, though I'll see Call Super that night at E1. Love Karenn, but seen them a couple of times, so it's Shanti, though also tempted by Ben UFO/Objekt, obviously. That could be stellar too, as Objekt may help deliver the side of Ben UFO I really like. And then there's Saoirse. Argh! For a festival that boldly claimed 'No headliners', the closers clash is ridiculous!

Ben

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, fred quimby said:

What I want to know is how often all the planning goes to shit for Ben 🙂 whether that is Oh My I am enjoying this too much so plan out the window or other reasons and how he copes with it 🙂 

As you might guess, this almost never happens. I'm infuriatingly consistent in seeing who is on the list. One slightly unexpected deviation was Glastonbury in 2016. I had fully intended to go to see Plaid play live in the Glade before heading for the SEC on the Sunday night, and was kept in Spaceport by an incredibly techy set from...Richy Ahmed. No, really!

Ben

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

As you might guess, this almost never happens. I'm infuriatingly consistent in seeing who is on the list. One slightly unexpected deviation was Glastonbury in 2016. I had fully intended to go to see Plaid play live in the Glade before heading for the SEC on the Sunday night, and was kept in Spaceport by an incredibly techy set from...Richy Ahmed. No, really!

Ben

Ha 😃

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

🤣I didn't expect you to say that name! Haha 

8 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Sad to report Call Super and Anz are going to drop out of Waterworks. Ben UFO out of action this weekend too and I reckon that won't be the last of it.

Covid striking the heart of the tricksy-banger DJ set. WHP was a vector!

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!

Ah, fuckity fuck! I love you, @Ddiamondd, but only when your unrivalled inside info brings me good news!! 

Ah, nuts. Well, hopefully this might give some opportunities for some others. If that means that it's solo Shanti and Objekt for headline slots, that ain't shabby. My big hope is that E1 can find a replacement for CS at the afterparty, as that's a big part of what we're looking forward to...

Please let us know if you get any replacement intel.

Ben

19 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Sad to report Call Super and Anz are going to drop out of Waterworks. Ben UFO out of action this weekend too and I reckon that won't be the last of it.

Ouch. I've been close to grabbing a last minute ticket even though I almost definitely can't afford it, but this is swaying me away as Anz and Ben are two of my favourites - so thanks for the heads up.

Still very jealous of all those attending - will be a belter nonetheless.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

OUCH! Gutted but guess I'm glad to know now & consider the options.

Anz & Call Super were both on my 1st option lists. 

No Anz, at least leaves me with less clashing with Moxie/Peach into Midland into Jobse.

Call Super & Shanti had my full attention for closing, but choosing between a solo Objekt & solo Shanti am pretty torn now, not sure if to start with Objekt into Shanti, or start Shanti & see if she can keep us there.

Of the three names you could have said would cancel, had to be the ones I had my eyes on. 😭 
(Wasn't too fussed about BUFO, although know he's great & may have considered checking it out)

Jobse stay safe, pls. You couldn't make Gala. Can't go through this again. 😂