Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

3 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Will be there at Printworks on Friday and Waterworks next weekend! Wonder if I'll run into any of you good eFesters.

As for Printworks: I strongly suspect Skrillex will play a part. He's in London at the minute and popping up everywhere, left and right. B2b with Four Tet and Jamie xx one day, Ahadadream the next, hanging with VTSS and all sorts.

I'm at Waterworks too, guys, so if you think you've seen me and want to say hi, I'd be delighted. I'd similarly be in no way offended if you pulled your cap peak down and shuffled past as inconspicuously as possible!

😂

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

4 hours ago, Acid Loafers said:

Waterworks weekend after, found a Clashfinder https://clashfinder.com/s/waterworks2021/ to play around with now the set times are out. Praying for any weather but wet. Imagine it must be decently sized with that many stages, hope it's not too chaotic as I believe it's their first festival/event. Though looks like Percolate are involved, whom I've heard of quite a bit in London & Team Love, whom I haven't.

Good to be dancing again.

Nearly 10000 tickets sold so far, so that's a decent capacity and, as you say, with seven venues, it'll need a decent chunk of Gunnersbury Park to create that set up. Have to say, I can't wait.

Anyone going out that night too? We're off to E1.

Ben

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I'd throw George Fitzgerald and Floating Points into the mix too... would definitely be catching both of those if I was there, but maybe i'm too big a chin stroking glitchy lover...  Jayda G should be fun too.

Only seen George Fitzgerald mix once, and he was magnificent. Some of the stuff he played was not even really my thing, but the way he did it was masterful.

Ben

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Floating Points is frustratingly caught in a 3 way clash with DJ Shadow and DJ Seinfeld for me so is unfortunately gonna have to be missed. Struggling to decide between the other two.

If you've never seen Shadow, I'd say you need to go with that... But otherwise, go for Seinfeld - He's on top of his game atm.  Saw him at Field Day and he was top draw.

Edited by GrumpyRaver

And, while I'm here... Hope i'm not monopolising things too much, but just wanted to back up the praise for Bicep's current show.  They've taken a huge step up, and really seem on their way to becoming genuine legends.  The visuals are stunning, the way they weave through their whole back catalogue is superb, and it's a really amazing show.  If you get the chance, go see them.

As for their Glasto placing, I think they're in a bit of a tricky place now... I really don't think the set up at The Park would do the visuals justice, but they're not at the level of Other Stage headliner when the likes of Dua Lipa, Pet Shop Boys, QOTSA and even The Strokes are being mentioned.  Think it would have to be West Holts.

• Upvote 2

On 9/14/2021 at 9:56 AM, Ddiamondd said:

Denham are the boys! Got that Foul Play/Altern-8 magic in their hands.

Amen, brother (literally). It's like a nostalgic trip back to 91/92 with '21 production values. Love it. 

For me, it's a really exciting time for electronic music at the moment. I've never been married to one particular genre and there are some really creative DJs and producers taking their sets in all different kinds of directions. One of my favourite online streams of the past few years is FJAAK for Hör. But anyone that drops "Hi-Tec Muuusic" by  DD Hass & X CIV 10 in their set immediately gets my vote. I'm a sucker for early 90s Dutch and Belgian raver breakbeat techno. And thanks to the likes of the previously mentioned artists, it's getting a much welcome reintroduction with a modern reboot amongst a two hour set of house, techno, garage, the works. And that is right up my straße

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I say this all the time but I can never believe how fast bicep have risen up the ranks. I remember seeing them in 2012 at a 100 capacity venue, and the promoters had to go out on the street trying to flog tickets to get enough people in there.

9 years is a pretty long time in the music industry though. 

A lot can change. 

Fully believe they could headline The Other stage one day, maybe not on this album, but next one. 

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I say this all the time but I can never believe how fast bicep have risen up the ranks. I remember seeing them in 2012 at a 100 capacity venue, and the promoters had to go out on the street trying to flog tickets to get enough people in there.

Crazy isn't it.

I think they picked their moment to move on from the 90s house sound perfectly. Those early tunes still sound banging to my ears, but they could have easily become a bit stale had they kept that formula going. 

Yeah their sound is very welcoming to those new to dance music, which is why I think they are usually one of the first dance acts that people discover. They were my heroes for the first two years at uni. As I started going out more and getting more into the Craig Richards, Villalobos etc fabric nights I have moved on from them a bit. But Bice always have my time. I think their second album is better than their first, their first has some bangers but still feels like they were finding their feet as album artists.

14 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah their sound is very welcoming to those new to dance music, which is why I think they are usually one of the first dance acts that people discover. They were my heroes for the first two years at uni. As I started going out more and getting more into the Craig Richards, Villalobos etc fabric nights I have moved on from them a bit. But Bice always have my time. I think their second album is better than their first, their first has some bangers but still feels like they were finding their feet as album artists.

Glue is a guaranteed song at any houseparty at uni honestly, pretty much everyone I know that likes anything other than chart shite knows at least Glue and enjoys it. Fairly new to dance myself and definitely enjoying looking through their related artists etc. Them and Four Tet are huge at unis.

Yeah god I’m excited for printworks. Still wish I was going to today rather than tomorrow, but just can’t wait to be inside a proper venue again. 

although I will say Printworks was the last venue I was in back in Feb 2020, so I hope I don’t start the pandemic all over again…

21 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Yeah god I’m excited for printworks. Still wish I was going to today rather than tomorrow, but just can’t wait to be inside a proper venue again. 

although I will say Printworks was the last venue I was in back in Feb 2020, so I hope I don’t start the pandemic all over again…

What better way to book-end the last 19 months! It'll be like the pandemic never existed! Have a great one! 

31 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Have a great weekend, electronauts! My Saturday will be slightly more low-brow, enjoying Balearic-inspired house classics spun by legends Todd Terry and Roger Sanchez at an old converted lido, Tropicana in Weston-super-Mare with Cafe Mambo

That sounds Great. Good to see the Tropicana being used

Enjoy

Edited by fred quimby
  • Thanks 1

Alfresco Disco tickets went on sale today for the 4th of December date. They're using that absolutely insane new venue underneath Bristol City Centre that they used last time - would highly recommend! Just got ten tickets for me and mates. 

Funnily enough I'm also going to their smaller residency tonight. Should be a good little intimate boogie, and it's only round the corner. 

10 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Alfresco Disco tickets went on sale today for the 4th of December date. They're using that absolutely insane new venue underneath Bristol City Centre that they used last time - would highly recommend! Just got ten tickets for me and mates. 

Funnily enough I'm also going to their smaller residency tonight. Should be a good little intimate boogie, and it's only round the corner. 

Oooh, I remember you mentioning this. I might be up for this one...

8 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Getting pathetically excited for Printworks now.

I'll be kicking about in a Power Trip t-shirt, only metalhead in a club full of Four Tetters. Say hi if you see someone groaning loudly when they unveil a Nile Rodgers DJ set

Let us know the lineup! I know Moxie and Saoirse are doing a B2B set 8.30-10

Edited by MaxPower

31 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

So in the end it was the following. I might be missing some here, and not in order, but:

Moxie b2b Saoirse, India Jordan, Josey Rebelle, HAAi, TSHA, Jayda G (for 45 minutes…), Eclair Fifi, Sherelle b2b Jossy Mitsu

I can’t lie: the night didn’t really flow and a lot of people around me were very sour about the lack of clarity. It’ll be easier tonight with straight techno wallopers but the stylistic divergence was actually a bit of a disadvantage. Good % of the audience left early.

That’s a great bill, and obviously the tunes were tip-top (especially Sherelle and JM’s b2b), but I can’t help but feel they cranked the dial marked ‘secrecy’ too hard, to the detriment of the night.

It was so disappointing. The music was pretty average on the most part (TSHA and Elkka were good), kinda boring music that didn't flow from set to set. Heard some real clunking mixing too which is kinda embarrassing. As far as I can tell Jayda G didn't even bother mixing, just turned the end of the track's volume down and raised the new track. The short set times were also baffling, people milling around not knowing what to do which just killed the atmosphere. Def agree they took the secrecy thing too hard.

Also seems a shame for the first all female lineup to be on a night where they didn't reveal who was playing. They should be celebrating and promoting that not keeping it a secret!

47 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

So in the end it was the following. I might be missing some here, and not in order, but:

Moxie b2b Saoirse, India Jordan, Josey Rebelle, HAAi, TSHA, Jayda G (for 45 minutes…), Eclair Fifi, Sherelle b2b Jossy Mitsu

I can’t lie: the night didn’t really flow and a lot of people around me were very sour about the lack of clarity. It’ll be easier tonight with straight techno wallopers but the stylistic divergence was actually a bit of a disadvantage. Good % of the audience left early.

That’s a great bill, and obviously the tunes were tip-top (especially Sherelle and JM’s b2b), but I can’t help but feel they cranked the dial marked ‘secrecy’ too hard, to the detriment of the night.

Hoping to catch some of Jossy Mitsu on Saturday at Waterworks, though might miss her as my pal arrives in London a little later than me. She seems ace.

Sorry it wasn't quite the night you were hoping for, guys.

Ben