Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

8 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Went to RTRN II DANCE at Clapham Common yesterday. Had a fun time, mostly in the tents (as much as I love DnB, it's much better in a more intimate setting rather than a huge stage), Dillinja and Bou stood out. 

The queues for the bars were off the charts insane. Ridiculously bad. Didn't affect me personally but there's no way I could have queued in it. Absolutely terrible, not sure why? Lack of staff? Never seen queues so bad in over 20 years of festivals. That bad. 

9 hours ago, MaxPower said:

On a brighter note, Field Day was much better (terrible queues but conversely strict drug enforcement aside).

Floorplan was a highlight and the Bicep headline set was brilliant. Would say the sound wasn’t great on any of the stages, and I’m probably going to mostly avoid outdoor dance festivals, at least where the infrastructure isn’t tailored specifically for it.

What was the deal with drug enforcement - was is super strict? I was so gutted to miss this but first gig back will be Bicep at Brixton in two weeks, so kinda glad I’ve saved it for then if the sound was shit. 

On 8/29/2021 at 1:19 AM, MaxPower said:

Just need somewhere to rant a tad. That APE Jamie XX show was pretty dreadful.

He was the only act on in that slot so it was the only option. Think crowd expected a dance party, and first few tracks were that, but it really went off the rails. Felt a little experimental for that kind of setting, and much more garage/jungle kind of stuff than the crowd were in for.

by 30 mins there were people streaming out, and by 60+ when he finally started playing a few big dance-y bangers, the atmosphere was so dead.

finishing with a few big the XX tunes couldn’t really save it, bit of a bitter pill at end of a good day. 

He’s been shocking for years

8 hours ago, gordong said:

What was the deal with drug enforcement - was is super strict? I was so gutted to miss this but first gig back will be Bicep at Brixton in two weeks, so kinda glad I’ve saved it for then if the sound was shit. 

Absolutely zero checks at Clapham Common on Sunday, not in my queue, at least. Huge Police presence around the perimeter though.

Regarding sound levels, if you're going to an urban festival at Clapham Common, Victoria Park or Finsbury Park, you should definitely expect it to be lower than you'd like. It fluctuated a bit on Sunday, right across the event but I certainly didn't experience it the way that I'm reading about on social media

Back from lost village this weekend, had an absolute blast there (though some much needed recovery is needed from it now) 

The stages were really well set up, each had its own character to it, the volume at times was turned down which is my only main complaint , but the systems themselves were quality. The music overall was a lot heavier than I expected but that suits me down to the ground. I did miss Four Tet though which is my biggest regret of the weekend, and overall the people there were all great and friendly 

Would highly recommend it if anyone hasn’t been before! 

Edited by Obiginnaw

1 hour ago, Obiginnaw said:

Back from lost village this weekend, had an absolute blast there (though some much needed recovery is needed from it now) 

The stages were really well set up, each had its own character to it, the volume at times was turned down which is my only main complaint , but the systems themselves were quality. The music overall was a lot heavier than I expected but that suits me down to the ground. I did miss Four Tet though which is my biggest regret of the weekend, and overall the people there were all great and friendly 

Would highly recommend it if anyone hasn’t been before! 

Child 3 went to LV and loved it. Like you, his only issue was the sound volume. He said the sound on the main stage was superb (esp. for BBC). Sorry to report that he said the first 1.25h of Four Tet was spectacular! and he really enjoyed Avery b2b HAAi and Shanti.

That's my boy.

Ben

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Child 3 went to LV and loved it. Like you, his only issue was the sound volume. He said the sound on the main stage was superb (esp. for BBC). Sorry to report that he said the first 1.25h of Four Tet was spectacular! and he really enjoyed Avery b2b HAAi and Shanti.

That's my boy.

Ben

The kids are alright! 

I can confirm Avery with Haai was spectacular, was a shame he was only the Thursday night I’d have loved to have seen a solo set elsewhere on a later day but there was still too much on offer 

Yeah everyone I’ve spoken to has said Four Tet was a lifechanging set, played Sugababes for 10 minutes straight which only he can do- I sacrificed it for Ben UFO so it was still worthy, tickets will definitely be repurchased for 2022!

• Upvote 1

Also returned from Lost Village last night, and absolutely loved it.

One issues aside from the volume in places though. Avery and HAAi should not have been at the zoo. That stage was way beyond capacity and we had to leave due to inability to actually dance. This was compounded by them being only one of few acts on during the Thursday, but I had the same issues at the stage for Octo Octa B2B Eris Drew on the Friday. Ended up avoiding that stage for the rest of the festival.

Highlight was undoubtedly Dixon at the Airbase on Saturday. An absolute techno masterclass that blew everything away. Couldn't Shazam anything with the lack of signal, but there was naturally some Âme in there and some stuff from the Transmoderna series. Hope LV managed to record this!

Only Four Tet could get away with Special request, Burial, Jamie xx, and then a 10 min remix of Overload by Sugababes. Sufficed to say, I loved it. 

Other highlights were 2manyDJs, Romy b2b HAAI, Effy, Caribou, and Raw Silk who were playing some brilliant French house.

Definitely returning next year!

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, gordong said:

I got scooped by security twice, never before in my life. Know two others that did two and I’ve never known it to happen to anyone.

end result just getting stuff taken off, not kicked off, but still an absolute vibe ruined.

2 hours ago, Tremas said:

Also returned from Lost Village last night, and absolutely loved it.

One issues aside from the volume in places though. Avery and HAAi should not have been at the zoo. That stage was way beyond capacity and we had to leave due to inability to actually dance. This was compounded by them being only one of few acts on during the Thursday, but I had the same issues at the stage for Octo Octa B2B Eris Drew on the Friday. Ended up avoiding that stage for the rest of the festival.

Highlight was undoubtedly Dixon at the Airbase on Saturday. An absolute techno masterclass that blew everything away. Couldn't Shazam anything with the lack of signal, but there was naturally some Âme in there and some stuff from the Transmoderna series. Hope LV managed to record this!

Only Four Tet could get away with Special request, Burial, Jamie xx, and then a 10 min remix of Overload by Sugababes. Sufficed to say, I loved it. 

Other highlights were 2manyDJs, Romy b2b HAAI, Effy, Caribou, and Raw Silk who were playing some brilliant French house.

Definitely returning next year!

Lost Village looked incredible. Was only able to get offered tickets after I’d already spent (and convinced others to) on Field day and APE, but god what a regret. Looked incredible, definitely going next year.

15 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Regarding sound levels, if you're going to an urban festival at Clapham Common, Victoria Park or Finsbury Park, you should definitely expect it to be lower than you'd like. It fluctuated a bit on Sunday, right across the event but I certainly didn't experience it the way that I'm reading about on social media

It was particularly noticeable at lighter acts like Tom Misch, we’re you could hear the crowd mroe than the set, and vocal heavy dance sets like Floorplan and Adelphi Music Factory, when you couldn’t really hear the vocals over the base. 

31 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

I was at APE on the Saturday and Field Day on the Sunday and agree about the sound being all over the place. Kano appeared to be smashing it but I have no way of knowing...

Artwork and Floorplan both sounded banging where I was standing, mind...

Ah floorplan we’re great, just thought the base was a little over powering compared to some of the gospel vocals.

31 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

I was at APE on the Saturday and Field Day on the Sunday and agree about the sound being all over the place. Kano appeared to be smashing it but I have no way of knowing...

Artwork and Floorplan both sounded banging where I was standing, mind...

The clips I've seen of the Artwork set look like an absolute party.

I've never had a bad time at one of his set tbf. Wish his mini festival had come back this year, but he lives in NYC now. The man is living the dream!

On 8/29/2021 at 1:19 AM, MaxPower said:

Just need somewhere to rant a tad. That APE Jamie XX show was pretty dreadful.

He was the only act on in that slot so it was the only option. Think crowd expected a dance party, and first few tracks were that, but it really went off the rails. Felt a little experimental for that kind of setting, and much more garage/jungle kind of stuff than the crowd were in for.

by 30 mins there were people streaming out, and by 60+ when he finally started playing a few big dance-y bangers, the atmosphere was so dead.

finishing with a few big the XX tunes couldn’t really save it, bit of a bitter pill at end of a good day. 

Honestly surprised by how many people are saying Jamie XX has been awful, I saw him as sunday tent headliner at Boardmasters the other week and was quite happy with it considering I didn't know much of his own stuff etc. Seemed everyone else liked it too - nothing groundbreaking but a fair headline set.

On 8/31/2021 at 12:24 AM, gordong said:

Same here, managed to grab some tickets today for £30 each for the thursday - driving back from Alton Towers that day so hopefully not too exhausted but I am nothing short of excited.

• Upvote 1

On 8/24/2021 at 6:22 AM, Northern Soul said:

Techno anyone?? I've just had the fright of my fucking life. I've only been producing Techno for roughly 18 months. Have loved and listened to it for well over 20 years though. Anyhow, I tend to make my tunes VERY late on at night after a few beers (As you do!!). Did the very same, sat down at the desk in my studio upstairs a few hours ago and there was a bloody mouse, just sat there, on my studio desk top, bold as brass, ha ha ha. To say I was shocked is an understatement, but it was just sat there, all plump and still, not skittish at all. it seemed quite docile. from my very "Un David Attenborough-like' deductions, I think it was was pregnant and possibly in labour, so I packaged it up in a little box with some bedding and put it in my shed. I will check up on it, and possibly any little ones in a few hours. In the meantime, I have finished my tune (Yes, I was pissed) and obviously could call it nothing other than "Techno Mouse' 😉

I hope all and sundry who wish to listen to it, like it. 

Peace out ladies and gentlemen. X

Maybe i am the only one on the Electronica/Dance thread that cares (i clicked on accidentally) but did Techno Mouse make it.??

Did Love Saves this weekend, what an absolute vibe of a two dayer! 

Saturday was really nice, with Ben UFO b2b Shanti finishing off the evening (well, we then went out after so not really). Breaky wobblers and hazy basslines.

Sunday we were feeling rough but got back on it and La La and Bradley Zero saved the day (heh). Was waiting for him to drop Toca's Miracle as I'd seen videos of it getting played all Summer. Still just fucking huge really isn't it? 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Saturday was really nice, with Ben UFO b2b Shanti finishing off the evening (well, we then went out after so not really). Breaky wobblers and hazy basslines.

Sunday we were feeling rough but got back on it and La La and Bradley Zero saved the day (heh). Was waiting for him to drop Toca's Miracle as I'd seen videos of it getting played all Summer. Still just fucking huge really isn't it? 

yeah he played it at Gala and of course it went down a treat 

11 hours ago, Zacko said:

I do like a breaky wobbler, me. Can't wait to see Shanti at Waterworks in just over 2 weeks. Set times out today, so the anticipation is building nicely. 

Ben

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Trunks1993 said:

yeah he played it at Gala and of course it went down a treat 

Just realised I worded my post badly, I was waiting...and he played it! 

I've had a few nice 'this is it, we're back' moments over the last month and a bit but that was definitely the best. Sun setting, the entire crowd loving it, perfection ❤️ 

1 hour ago, Zacko said:

Just realised I worded my post badly, I was waiting...and he played it! 

I've had a few nice 'this is it, we're back' moments over the last month and a bit but that was definitely the best. Sun setting, the entire crowd loving it, perfection ❤️ 

yeah my ‘we’re back’ moment was when Kornel Kovac’s played ‘Waiting for Tonight’ and Horse Meat dropped some Krystal Klear. Can’t beat a classic.

Edited by Trunks1993

2 hours ago, Trunks1993 said:

yeah my ‘we’re back’ moment was when Kornel Kovac’s played ‘Waiting for Tonight’ and Horse Meat dropped some Krystal Klear. Can’t beat a classic.

Mine was Jellybean Benítez landing the opening bars of the piano riff from "Where Love Lives" by Alison Limerick on Saturday. Still is and will always be a certified heater and a real "we're back" moment. You could feel the crowd let out a collective release of tension, it was wonderful

31 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Mine was Jellybean Benítez landing the opening bars of the piano riff from "Where Love Lives" by Alison Limerick on Saturday. Still is and will always be a certified heater and a real "we're back" moment. You could feel the crowd let out a collective release of tension, it was wonderful

Plays Alison Limerick 😍Edit bloody hell she has a few tunes 

Edited by crazyfool1