Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m going to sound fucking ancient here - but as someone in my mid-20s who has been hitting the clubs now since I was 18… I’m now at this stage where I’m deliberately avoiding events that might be student traps. This is why I love going to proper fabric nights and where the minimal lot play (Ricardo, Craig Richards, Raresh, and the houghton sort of DJs). Even tho I’m mid 20s I’m still probably one of the youngest there, it’s how I like it. I’m sorry but I really struggle being in a crowd with sub 20year olds now as most of them absolutely have no idea how to handle their drugs and I think it’s going to be worse considering for many of them it will be their first raves they’ve attended.

Back in the day I would have absolutely rejected the thought of some events being 21+… but I kinda get it now. The best events are ones where people all get on it, but everyone knows their limits and has a good time. I really struggle being in a crowd now with 18 year olds competing on who can take the most drugs. 

Good points here, Matt. Because of COVID, there'll be 18/19 year old kids out there this very weekend enjoying their first experience of a club and quite rightly, they'll be excited. They will have heard all about it and think they can go from 0 to 100mph straight away. It's not like that, is it? And potentially add a pill that's eight times stronger than a "regular" drug that they've never tried before and it's a recipe for disaster. The clubs (certainly the larger ones) seem to be doing all they can but often the kids are boshing it round the corner before queuing. Not much the organisers can do about that. There are some social media channels that glorify it and that doesn't help. I'd like to see them educate, as well as "entertain"

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Good points here, Matt. Because of COVID, there'll be 18/19 year old kids out there this very weekend enjoying their first experience of a club and quite rightly, they'll be excited. They will have heard all about it and think they can go from 0 to 100mph straight away. It's not like that, is it? And potentially add a pill that's eight times stronger than a "regular" drug that they've never tried before and it's a recipe for disaster. The clubs (certainly the larger ones) seem to be doing all they can but often the kids are boshing it round the corner before queuing. Not much the organisers can do about that. There are some social media channels that glorify it and that doesn't help. I'd like to see them educate, as well as "entertain"

It’s just very irritating when you’re at an event to hear some top DJ’ing and you’re surrounded by youngsters who are there entirely to test how many drugs they can take. They are just young and inexperienced and you can’t blame them, but it’s just annoying that instances like this can get good clubs shut.

Such sad news. 
Wasn’t made aware of the incident until on my way home and saw the BBC article. 

Arrived at 12 and security told us to head to the mini venue Costa Del Tottenham just down on the opposite side of the road. 
Did as instructed and partied there but nothing was said. 
It was made out that this was just temporary until The Cause was ready. 
That sort of made sense as knew there was an event the night before until late so assumed clean up hadn’t quite finished and needed to restock bars etc. 

Crowd was a great mix of ages and pretty diverse - as The Cause normally is. No idea who played in the end as we were just kept in the dark about the whole day really. 

Also I agree with a lot of what has been said above. 
Now in my 30s it does sometimes feel like the crowd are very young and often get themselves in a bit of trouble which is tough to watch. 

I think some of it could also be down to having almost 2 years off from clubbing and events. 
Some of the media made out like people were still partying & stuff through lockdown but it just isn’t true for a lot of people. 
Tolerance which may well have been built up pre-Covid will now be much lower or gone. 

Whatever the reason, it’s a tragedy & maybe this will be the thing that prompts change & better testing at venues. 
I won’t hold my breath on that, but we we live in hope.

Edited by gherring8
Typo

48 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

Such sad news. 
Wasn’t made aware of the incident until on my way home and saw the BBC article. 

Arrived at 12 and security told us to head to the mini venue Costa Del Tottenham just down on the opposite side of the road. 
Did as instructed and partied there but nothing was said. 
It was made out that this was just temporary until The Cause was ready. 
That sort of made sense as knew there was an event the night before until late so assumed clean up hadn’t quite finished and needed to restock bars etc. 

Crowd was a great mix of ages and pretty diverse - as The Cause normally is. No idea who played in the end as we were just kept in the dark about the whole day really. 

44 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

Also I agree with a lot of what has been said above. 
Now in my 30s it does sometimes feel like the crowd are very young and often get themselves in a bit of trouble which is tough to watch. 

I think some of it could also be down to having almost 2 years off from clubbing and events. 
Some of the media made out like people were still partying & stuff through lockdown but it just isn’t true for a lot of people. 
Tolerance which may well have been built up pre-Covid will now be much lower or gone. 

Whatever the reason, it’s a tragedy & maybe this will be the thing that prompts change & better testing at venues. 
I won’t hold my breath on that, but we we live in hope.

Ahh I see - yeah it’s a shame this has happened to the cause as I’ve always thought the cause has good crowds.

On 7/31/2021 at 9:52 PM, gfa said:

I noticed this too honestly, some people in the dance tents looked in an awful state, alive and fine, but clearly just needed to go back to their tent and their mates weren't doing anything - not even getting water etc.

I've noticed this attitude too.

Worst I saw was some teenagers at Four Tet in Brixton, holding a girl up, that would have kept falling if she didn't have friends keeping her up. None of them wanted to leave the spot to get water or take some care of her. It felt pretty morbid, as they were partying while keeping a cadaver being bounced amongst them, as she faded into and out of reality with eyes rolling like a fruit machine. While her friends tried to "dance" life back into her. 

The mentality that the party > friends safety. Sophie isn't going to ruin this night for the rest of us.

Doubt it was too bad, but clearly the kind of scenario that could lead to worse situations.

• Upvote 2

On 7/31/2021 at 10:32 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

In my view, if/when you do it together, you're in it together. Keep each other safe, keep heads in check, take a minute and ride it out if necessary, even if it means missing something you wanna see. It's something altogether different when there are unscrupulous c**ts out there making and selling this poison and it starts with trust and understanding the risks first. And if you decide to roll the dice, you have to live by a code that makes sure everyone around you is ok first and foremost. 

We desperately need to introduce safety measures, like testing. Whether people like it or not, drugs are and always be integral to the scene and the culture. We have to make it safer. 

I think we all agree on this kind of thing here, shame politicians won't do shit.

20 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

I've noticed this attitude too.

Worst I saw was some teenagers at Four Tet in Brixton, holding a girl up, that would have kept falling if she didn't have friends keeping her up. None of them wanted to leave the spot to get water or take some care of her. It felt pretty morbid, as they were partying while keeping a cadaver being bounced amongst them, as she faded into and out of reality with eyes rolling like a fruit machine. While her friends tried to "dance" life back into her. 

The mentality that the party > friends safety. Sophie isn't going to ruin this night for the rest of us.

Doubt it was too bad, but clearly the kind of scenario that could lead to worse situations.

This is just awful, I could never do this to my mates and I would like to think that my friends wouldn't do the same to me. I just turned 20 and already prefer going to places with 20-30 y/o crowd, Latitude probably was my favourite festival for the atmosphere there, so friendly and easy to just go and grab water rather than being 100 rows into a packed field at Reading or something. Its a shame not everybody is lucky enough to have friends who appreciate them properly.

EDIT: Besides this though, since lockdown been getting so much more into dance acts and seeing Hot Chip + Chems last weekend has really cemented that. Cannot wait to go into clubbing to the proper dance clubs more and see more dance acts at festivals/concerts. Chemical Brothers was far and away the best set i've ever seen and from my current favourite artist too!

Edited by gfa
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Probably worth sharing that if anyone here is planning to go out - please buy a home testing kit. There have been some increasingly dangerous pills in circulation at the moment which have led to deaths and hospitalisations. This doesn’t look to be a case of people taking too much either, word is that they’ve got a harmful substance in them which is causing reactions to develop in people that take them. Please be safe all and responsible!

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Probably worth sharing that if anyone here is planning to go out - please buy a home testing kit. There have been some increasingly dangerous pills in circulation at the moment which have led to deaths and hospitalisations. This doesn’t look to be a case of people taking too much either, word is that they’ve got a harmful substance in them which is causing reactions to develop in people that take them. Please be safe all and responsible!

Also another thing - MDMA is an immunosuppressant so watch out if your going back to see relatives after a festival/contact with people at risk.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

I think we all agree on this kind of thing here, shame politicians won't do shit.

Nope, they'll just blame the clubs, as always. The government has always had a vendetta against the scene and sadly in situations like this, they'll spin it to divert attention away from the real issues at hand. The facts are, as I said above, whether people like it or not, the consumption of drugs is deeply embedded within dance music culture and it has been since its inception. Since humankind has been able to beat a drum and as long as there are beats and breaks, there'll be people using substances to enhance their experience, feel more in tune with the music, etc. Any reputable club that I know of, is noticeably doing everything they can to eradicate the sale or consumption on their premises but it's had to see how they can be held responsible for a death on their premises, particularly as what was taken may not have been bought or consumed there.

We each need to take collective responsibility for our actions by, a) understanding the risks (including strength, effects - during and after, trust who you're buying from) and being well-informed to be able to make certain choices, b) knowing how to take care of ourselves, our friends and fellow clubbers if and when we see something amiss, and c) introduce harm reduction measures like they have in other countries like Holland, Spain, Portugal and Belgium. If the government aren't going to allow on-site testing, Matt makes a great point about home-testing kits. 

I'd also like to see some more key organisations and individuals on the scene promoting more awareness for safety, particularly when there are such dangerous substances circulating. Social media is the perfect outlet for this but apart from one or two posting about the "Tesla" pills doing the rounds, it's been largely quiet. 

It breaks my heart when I hear of kids dying in our clubs. The dancefloor is supposed to be a safe space for people to escape and express themselves, not a place to go to die. We've always been a marginalised counterculture, these people in charge don't need any more reasons to crack down on us. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Printworks AW21 lineup announced - can’t say there’s any new announcemed nights I’m drooling over, more annoyed I somehow missed that now sold our 18 December line up 

https://printworkslondon.co.uk/whats-on/

Would definitely have done the Anjunadeep day if I wasn't already at WHP. Quite gutted about that clash.

Those TO BE and FROM OUR MINDS lineups are pretty stellar (paging @bennyhana22), think there'll be some interest in those from within this thread.

21 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Would definitely have done the Anjunadeep day if I wasn't already at WHP. Quite gutted about that clash.

Those TO BE and FROM OUR MINDS lineups are pretty stellar (paging @bennyhana22), think there'll be some interest in those from within this thread.

TO BE is sold out unfortunately.

23 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

43 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Printworks AW21 lineup announced - can’t say there’s any new announcemed nights I’m drooling over, more annoyed I somehow missed that now sold our 18 December line up 

https://printworkslondon.co.uk/whats-on/

All sold out dates have more tickets releasing in the presale tomorrow at 11am - signup on their website.

probably booking onto the chemical brothers one myself, spent so much on shows in the second half of this year can’t really afford much more

Edited by gfa

Reporting back from Alfresco Disco on Saturday. WOW. That is up there with the best parties I've ever been to 

It was actually my second event back after I did Dan Shake and TSHA in July (which I thought was ok but nothing that special). 

Alfresco somehow secured the entire basement of the Galleries shopping centre in Bristol for the venue, and it really can't have been far off the size of the old Store Street WHP, in fact it reminded me of it so much, a very similar vibe. 

Music was incredible. A last run of The Ones - Flawless, Bicep - Atlas, Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime, and Aretha - Say a Little Prayer blew the place apart. 

It looks like the venue is going to be used again as the license runs until January (it's called 'The Underground'). If so, I think Motion need to be very very worried because it made that place look like total shit (which is no mean feat). 

Some niggles around bars running out of booze and a not ideal water situation, but these can all be fixed. 

10 hours ago, Zacko said:

It looks like the venue is going to be used again as the license runs until January (it's called 'The Underground'). If so, I think Motion need to be very very worried because it made that place look like total shit (which is no mean feat). 

Thanks for sharing. The write-up and the venue.

Just did a quick search on the venue but can't seem to find anything...yet. Maybe it was a pilot event? Either way, an exciting new warehouse in Bristol can only be a good thing! If you hear of any more events taking place there, report it on this thread!

Edit: if the license runs until January, you can bet a NYE event is on the cards.

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Thanks for sharing. The write-up and the venue.

Just did a quick search on the venue but can't seem to find anything...yet. Maybe it was a pilot event? Either way, an exciting new warehouse in Bristol can only be a good thing! If you hear of any more events taking place there, report it on this thread!

Edit: if the license runs until January, you can bet a NYE event is on the cards.

Great shout. 

They've got an Instagram up for it, but there's not much on there as of yet! Will report back if I see anything more. 

https://www.instagram.com/the_underground_bristol/

On 8/2/2021 at 12:01 PM, Matt42 said:

Any recommendations on this? First night out went somewhat of a dud based on being a bit nervy on not going with naughties we didn't know.

5 hours ago, leej7 said:

Any recommendations on this? First night out went somewhat of a dud based on being a bit nervy on not going with naughties we didn't know.

These guys https://www.instagram.com/pillreportofficial/ advertise their own tests a fair bit https://pillreport.com/ 

Haven't tried it myself, but they do appear to be making an effort to be quite reputable & trustworthy part of the community so would be surprised if there was anything wrong with them. 

I think I used this site a couple years ago, tests went smoothly at the time: https://www.reagent-tests.uk/ 

1 hour ago, Acid Loafers said:

These guys https://www.instagram.com/pillreportofficial/ advertise their own tests a fair bit https://pillreport.com/ 

Haven't tried it myself, but they do appear to be making an effort to be quite reputable & trustworthy part of the community so would be surprised if there was anything wrong with them. 

I think I used this site a couple years ago, tests went smoothly at the time: https://www.reagent-tests.uk/ 

Helpful, thank you!