Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

3 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

I missed it but also thought the snippets looked good. I am a big fan.

That said, I am always intrigued to know what they are actually doing to warrant the label 'LIVE'. I've not seen those keyboards ever played. they seem to be twiddling knobs a little. So assuming they remix/ edit the tracks weeks before to give a different feel, different intros etc. So what are they actually doing live thats potentially different each time? Assuming they are using something like Ableton? This is not LIVE music. At best this can be called 'Hybrid'. It does annoy me a bit when the term 'LIVE' is used. Is this not just what Sasha used to do with with Maven/ Ableton sets, just with their own tracks?

I still think it's awesome but I wish there was a different collective term for it. 

Been wondering this! 

My guess is:

They've got a few launchpads for triggering the Ableton clips, so in that sense they can play with the structure of the tunes and when they bring stuff in. They've also got a Pioneer Toriaz which might be doing similar stuff (?), and has the filters from a Prophet 6 so they may use this for filtering tunes (possibly).

Then with the 101's I'm wondering if they're receiving MIDI from Ableton so they don't have to play the melodies themselves, but they can fuck about with the synth patches. But then I thought the 101's didn't have patch memory... 

Then some physical delay and reverb pedals and the like?

I'm probably completely wrong on this! Love trying to work it all out though.

Other than the Chemical Brothers/Orbital etc, the act for me who has perfected the live act most recently is George FitzGerald, proper good stuff. 

Edited by Zacko

2 hours ago, Zacko said:

Been wondering this! 

My guess is:

They've got a few launchpads for triggering the Ableton clips, so in that sense they can play with the structure of the tunes and when they bring stuff in. They've also got a Pioneer Toriaz which might be doing similar stuff (?), and has the filters from a Prophet 6 so they may use this for filtering tunes (possibly).

Then with the 101's I'm wondering if they're receiving MIDI from Ableton so they don't have to play the melodies themselves, but they can fuck about with the synth patches. But then I thought the 101's didn't have patch memory... 

Then some physical delay and reverb pedals and the like?

I'm probably completely wrong on this! Love trying to work it all out though.

Other than the Chemical Brothers/Orbital etc, the act for me who has perfected the live act most recently is George FitzGerald, proper good stuff. 

Yes I think that seems to be what's going on. It's still interesting to watch don't get me wrong - and I can't wait for the new album. 

23 hours ago, Dom Wall said:

Dusky's live set was good whilst it lasted. Seemed to flow well, whilst having at least the keys played and vocals triggered.

Completely forgot they had a live show! I remember seeing them at Motion and Parakeet Feet sounded unbelievably huge compared to when they play it in sets.

1 hour ago, TheFullShaboo said:

After leaving what must be the perfect festival site, i'm slightly cautious to book again. 

Has anybody been to Love International or any of the other festivals that use the Garden Resort is Tisno? 

dimensions 2021...jpg

I only went to the Fort once, but yes, fantastic venue. I will long remember DVS1 in the Moat...

But look at that line-up...

Skee MAsk b2b Stenny is on a few line-ups, and I need to see them. Steevio and Suzy Bee's mental live massive analogue modular stacks...yes please. Karenn, Helena H, Pangaea, Stingray, Nicolas Lutz, the god that is DVS1...

So much stuff in there.

And if there's any danger of it not going ahead by July, then all of us in here will already be bloody distraught, so fingers crossed.

Ben

On 8/14/2020 at 1:32 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I've come out of musical hibernation and have a new track:

Detailed feedback welcome.😁

The drums on this remind me of that Stephen Morris fella. 

It does have a nod towards Confusion as well.

Top stuff mate. Straight out of New York in 83, it is very Arthur Baker.

56 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I only went to the Fort once, but yes, fantastic venue. I will long remember DVS1 in the Moat...

But look at that line-up...

Skee MAsk b2b Stenny is on a few line-ups, and I need to see them. Steevio and Suzy Bee's mental live massive analogue modular stacks...yes please. Karenn, Helena H, Pangaea, Stingray, Nicolas Lutz, the god that is DVS1...

So much stuff in there.

And if there's any danger of it not going ahead by July, then all of us in here will already be bloody distraught, so fingers crossed.

Ben

The moat was both spectacular and precarious - i have no idea what would have happened if everyone need to evacuate at once! 

Think im going to take a punt on the new venue, everything ive read about it from Love International festival seems to be positive even though it seems to lack the big 'showstoppers' it once had - the moat, mungos and the clearing. Right now though id literally take anything for a few days in the sun bopping away till the early hours! 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 11:55 AM, Brave Sir Robin said:

Me too. Good to hear him doing some stuff with beats again, even if it comes with some more ambient tracks (which I also enjoy).

Just releasing a 10 inch looks like start of next year now and digital release of a few of the dancey tracks that did not fit the album but he wanted to release

On bandcamp 15% off with MORELIGHT code

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Anyone else really starting to miss raves now? One of the many things I kind of took for granted.

More than I can express. Other than festivals, to which I almost only ever go to one a year, occasionally two, my all-night nights out dancing are incredibly important to me in terms of general well-being and happiness. I don't go out more than every 2-3 months, but when I do it's invariably a biggie and I just love them SOOOOOOOO much 😭.

And I'm sorry, but I ain't going to any events until they're proper, normal raves again. I applaud venues for their innovation and efforts in doing some of these sit-down, limited-number table events, but it's just not for me, I'm afraid. I realise that it's possibly the difference between sink or swim for them, but I'd rather just chuck them some money as I know I can't enjoy the event as I should - for me dancing is in the dark, in a crowd.

The Tunnel Club in Brum - home of the legendary House of God, is Crowdfunding for survival. Happily sent them £20 yesterday. Please let this end now...

Ben
xx

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Yep, really missing them. Going to Eats Everything at Lakota next weekend for a sit down event, but it's just not the same. 

I realised recently how much of my life and tastes have at least some relation to the dancefloor. Making tunes, playing tunes, going to festivals etc.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

This is earth to Ben, earth to Ben, are you receiving, over? All we want, no 'need' to know is that you are safe and well. Have tried every angle to contact bar this one, to the best of my knowledge.  K & S xxx.

Just incase he takes a long time to respond, I saw him tweeting yesterday. 

• Upvote 2