Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Thanks @bennyhana22 and @Supernintendo Chalmers

I know I’m being ridiculous...and I’m always find I’m fine when I’m there!

My problem probably lies in (aside from the lack of self-confidence) taking a huge gap between clubbing - used to go virtually every week to trance and breaks nights in the late 90s/ early 00s and then nothing until about 3 years ago. Have to say I’ve nothing but good experiences at the nights I’ve been too (always good at Hope Works and WHP) so really should get over myself and enjoy it whilst I can!

Just now, The Red Telephone said:

Thanks @bennyhana22 and @Supernintendo Chalmers

I know I’m being ridiculous...and I’m always find I’m fine when I’m there!

My problem probably lies in (aside from the lack of self-confidence) taking a huge gap between clubbing - used to go virtually every week to trance and breaks nights in the late 90s/ early 00s and then nothing until about 3 years ago. Have to say I’ve nothing but good experiences at the nights I’ve been too (always good at Hope Works and WHP) so really should get over myself and enjoy it whilst I can!

Well, if you're at the farm this year, for goodness sake come and find me/some of us. Met up with a few from this lovely thread on the dance floors in 2019 and it was a genuine joy.

Ben

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Maybe we should fix a meet up or two? Reckon you’d all be a good laugh...

It gets mentioned on here every year, and people are keen, and then, y'know!

My offer is always the same. If anyone here is going to be at a set they know I'm going to, I'll happily meet up and can DM details etc.

We'll get something sorted nearer the festival.

Ben

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

My offer is always the same. If anyone here is going to be at a set they know I'm going to, I'll happily meet up and can DM details etc.

Ben

Banging... I’ll happily share what I’m planning to see and same offer applies.

off to Printworks for Orbital on Saturday, btw... can’t bloody wait.  Haven’t had a proper night out since Weatherall/ALFOS and Floating Points@Printworks in same week back in November.

3 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

Would happily join in on this as well

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Banging... I’ll happily share what I’m planning to see and same offer applies.

off to Printworks for Orbital on Saturday, btw... can’t bloody wait.  Haven’t had a proper night out since Weatherall/ALFOS and Floating Points@Printworks in same week back in November.

Orbital with that system and those lasers should be incredible.

3 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Would happily join in on this as well

Smashing!

Ben

22 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Well, if you're at the farm this year, for goodness sake come and find me/some of us. Met up with a few from this lovely thread on the dance floors in 2019 and it was a genuine joy.

Ben

I was dancing very near you at Genosys at some point in 2019. Only twigged once I was about to move on elsewhere and was tempted to say hi but bottled it. 
I will definitely try and correct this is if I spot you this year.

23 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

I was dancing very near you at Genosys at some point in 2019. Only twigged once I was about to move on elsewhere and was tempted to say hi but bottled it. 
I will definitely try and correct this is if I spot you this year.

Awwww!

Well please come and say hi this year! I'm about as non-scary as they come...

:)

Ben

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yep, I'll be 43 in July.

I'll be 43 in August. I don't really do club nights though as most of my mates aren't into electronic music so and aren't much up for clubbing anymore. I do like to go to electronic gigs though and have a bit of a rave. I did go along to the Jon Hopkins do at Printworks recently though and had a great time, but then Seefeel played live (who I really wanted to see) so I could justify it by being a gig with a bit of dancing after!

I like to keep an eye on this thread to see what's going on though, mostly so I have an idea of what to check out on the farm!

Edited by Johnnyseven

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Some people lap up the "journey" of an extended set and others need the variety. Like you, I'm in the latter camp. Especially when there's so much other interesting stuff on hand to enjoy. I do get it, though. I imagine a six hour set would work for me if it was a personal favourite with little else on in the other rooms. 

Has anyone on here really enjoyed an extended set? Arrived at the start and before they know it they've got lost and they're turning the lights on? Be interested to hear people's experiences, who are the best DJs for this kind of thing.

Skream open to close, got in there at 10pm left at 5, guy just went through every genre from disco to heavy 140, phenomenal night 

Likewise to what’s been said, always keen to meet likeminded people, couldn’t give a toss about age , though that’s possibly easier said as one of the younger ones 

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Has anyone on here really enjoyed an extended set? Arrived at the start and before they know it they've got lost and they're turning the lights on? Be interested to hear people's experiences, who are the best DJs for this kind of thing.

Suppose it depends who it is and the genre, but i'm more of a 2-2.5hr set max preference... However, Coxy's 4 hr set on Saturday at the Glade last year was pretty spesh. One of my favourite areas anyways, but add the afternoon sun, the journey through years of classic house etc, and the company... 👌👌👌

To then catch his secret set at the Rabbit Hole later on in the night, the big man twice in one day, I pretty much died and went to heaven. 

Only mid 30's but still out and about every so often, absolutely love it- personally like dark clubs so you wouldn't know whether you're stood next to an 18 or 50 year old. My wife and I will be out next weekend, it's a small town and most people who are into dance music know each other. 

Saw a great adaptation of a George Bernard Shaw quote in Ibiza a few years back

You don't stop clubbing because you get old... you get old because you stop clubbing 👌

1 hour ago, Obiginnaw said:

Skream open to close, got in there at 10pm left at 5, guy just went through every genre from disco to heavy 140, phenomenal night 

Likewise to what’s been said, always keen to meet likeminded people, couldn’t give a toss about age , though that’s possibly easier said as one of the younger ones 

Yeah I rate Skreams open to close sets. He's the epitome of someone who has absolutely no qualms with playing (or making) every type of music under the sun - which I really respect. He'll occasionally post videos of tunes he's making on Instagram, and some of them are complete clangers, but when you have the back catalogue and experience he has it's completely justified.

Generally though I think I'm in agreement that LONG sets can sometimes just feel a bit pointless, especially as the first two or three hours can be the DJ warming up. I think I'd rather have two different DJ's playing two different warm up sets y'know?

Having said that, it's all about the context isn't it! I can imagine Houghton is perfect for those extended sets.

Edited by Zacko
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Obiginnaw said:

Ah yes, Skream is a really good example of the eclecticism I'm looking for in a longer set. Sounds like fun!