Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

Seating is upstairs at Brixton, so it's not separated on the floor but by level, per se. People downstairs check your tickets so it's not a given they'll let you in. But from experience it's harder to get a seat upstairs if you have a standing ticket, than the other way around. And on the seating floor, there is a standing gallery too if you want to have a boogie. You just won't be in the scrum of it.

thanks for the reply. Is it wristbands or just a scan of tickets? We have friends with standing tickets already so wondering whether we'll be able to use theirs if one of them brings them out or sends a screenshot or something?

48 minutes ago, EZYSEY said:

Anyone been to a Brixton Academy gig where they separate the standing from circle seating? Ended up with seated tickets for Bicep and wondering how easy it will be for me to get into standing? thanks in advance.

Now I have to add that I don't condone this as tickets are kept separate for safety reasons but there is a way. I've been in a group of four before where three of us had standing and one had a seat. The three enter the standing area and the one waits in the lobby. One person from the standing area takes two tickets and goes out to get the last person. Show the person on the door two standing tickets and hey presto, you're all in. As I say, I'm not recommending this as if everyone did it, it would be chaos. 

They may have a wristband process in place by now, it's been a year since I was at the Academy.

19 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Now I have to add that I don't condone this as tickets are kept separate for safety reasons but there is a way. I've been in a group of four before where three of us had standing and one had a seat. The three enter the standing area and the one waits in the lobby. One person from the standing area takes two tickets and goes out to get the last person. Show the person on the door two standing tickets and hey presto, you're all in. As I say, I'm not recommending this as if everyone did it, it would be chaos. 

They may have a wristband process in place by now, it's been a year since I was at the Academy.

24 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

It's a scan of tickets when you go through the door as usual, but once you're inside the venue, it's just flashing a stub to a pair of fairly lackadaisical door people. I've got round it before by exchanging stubs with mates but you need to be crafty about it.

This is what I figured might work. Thanks for the reply.

55 minutes ago, CallumGamble said:

Off to Berlin in a few weeks, thinking of going to panorama bar for Honey Dijon on the Friday night. Anyone know if they're *as* strict for Fridays as they are for Klubnacht on the Saturdays? 

Not as strict but it's still in the lap of the techno gods (and Sven).  Fortunately there's always plenty of alternatives should the worst happen.  I'd personally say that Tresor is the next best option but Suicide Circus, The White house, Chalet are all pretty good.

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Not as strict but it's still in the lap of the techno gods (and Sven).  Fortunately there's always plenty of alternatives should the worst happen.  I'd personally say that Tresor is the next best option but Suicide Circus, The White house, Chalet are all pretty good.

Best of luck!

Cheers mate! Will probably give it a go and see what happens

On 3/8/2020 at 6:00 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Just on my way back home from the big smoke after another epic day/night out at Glitterbox. Was my first time at Printworks for a music event and it really didn't disappoint. Sound, visuals and production values were on point. The only negative aspect of the venue is the WC availability. Not great for a venue of that size. That aside though, a fantastic venue and I'm keen to return. 

The more positive aspect for me is that of Glitterbox the organisation itself. I appreciate that nu-disco or GB's brand of house isn't necessarily everyone's thing but with it they've taken a genre with deep roots in the origins of electronic culture and created a wonderful happy, positive safe space for people to be free to express themselves. It genuinely lifted my heart to see EVERYONE with a massive smile on their face, completely in sync with the vibe. Easily the best atmosphere I've witnessed in a club event in London. Can't wait to get back to the White Isle in July to do it all again. If you've never experienced a Glitterbox night, go for it, you'll not be disappointed. 

Side note, the first tune that was playing when I entered the main room was Blue Monday. Is there another tune that transcends across so many sub-genres as that banger? Whether it's in a sequin-filled disco, a Berlin techno dungeon or an indie disco it goes OFF. 

Been obsessed with the 'other' thread as of late so it's nice to come and spend a little time in other areas.

Love your review of the night (would have up -voted but alas I'm all out). Wasnt there myself but saw the line up beforehand and it looked special👌 Happy it lived up to the assumption. Printworks looks the dogs gonads also, still never been as living in the depths of the SW, it's a bit of a hike to get there but defo on the bucket list. There was Ajunadeep night there not too long back, and I highly recommend giving the Jody Wisternoff / James Grant b2b set a watch/listen if you get the chance (have left it below). Has accompanied my lug holes on many a run as of late.

Re sub-genre banger, I'd say 'Donna Summer - I Feel Love' possibly would be another option. 

Apropos of nothing other than having Crush spinning on my turntable at this moment, I just want to say that if FloPo does indeed play IICON, and he belts out LesAlpx at a suitably stupid time in the middle of the night, I will, quite gloriously, lose my shit.

That is all.

Ben
x

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

Been obsessed with the 'other' thread as of late so it's nice to come and spend a little time in other areas.

Love your review of the night (would have up -voted but alas I'm all out). Wasnt there myself but saw the line up beforehand and it looked special👌 Happy it lived up to the assumption. Printworks looks the dogs gonads also, still never been as living in the depths of the SW, it's a bit of a hike to get there but defo on the bucket list. There was Ajunadeep night there not too long back, and I highly recommend giving the Jody Wisternoff / James Grant b2b set a watch/listen if you get the chance (have left it below). Has accompanied my lug holes on many a run as of late.

Re sub-genre banger, I'd say 'Donna Summer - I Feel Love' possibly would be another option. 

Yeah, fuck that other thread. "It" is what it is, people yelling at each other ain't gonna make it go away. Come over here where it's chill, we'll roll one up and bang some tunes on until it passes.

Thanks for your kind words. Credit where it's due, London isn't usually my favourite place to party but Saturday was off the chain. I'm from the south west too but I like to get as far afield as much as possible. Printworks is a nice setup and I can imagine that it's much the same for every different night that's put on. The other thing that really struck me on Saturday was how much people were there to get lost in the music (no disco pun intended). The floor was rammo all day and night with few people roaming around the concourse or collapsed in the corner in an absolute state. It was refreshing and I'm already checking the diary for a return.

I'll check out that video later at the gym. Love me a bit of melodic electronica. 

Funny how you should mention "I Feel Love". My "claim to fame" is that tune was number one in the charts when I was born! And you're spot on. A contender for top ten greatest tunes of all time.

9 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Apropos of nothing other than having Crush spinning on my turntable at this moment, I just want to say that if FloPo does indeed play IICON, and he belts out LesAlpx at a suitably stupid time in the middle of the night, I will, quite gloriously, lose my shit.

That is all.

Ben
x

How do you feel about extended DJ sets, Ben? I caught the first part of Floating Points six hour set at Sonar last year and I felt like I was just waiting for it to catch fire. I gave it an hour (mostly based upon advice from this very forum) but because there was so much other stuff I wanted to see, I left. Did I miss something special? Would you have stayed for the duration? 

6 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, fuck that other thread. "It" is what it is, people yelling at each other ain't gonna make it go away. Come over here where it's chill, we'll roll one up and bang some tunes on until it passes.

Thanks for your kind words. Credit where it's due, London isn't usually my favourite place to party but Saturday was off the chain. I'm from the south west too but I like to get as far afield as much as possible. Printworks is a nice setup and I can imagine that it's much the same for every different night that's put on. The other thing that really struck me on Saturday was how much people were there to get lost in the music (no disco pun intended). The floor was rammo all day and night with few people roaming around the concourse or collapsed in the corner in an absolute state. It was refreshing and I'm already checking the diary for a return.

I'll check out that video later at the gym. Love me a bit of melodic electronica. 

Funny how you should mention "I Feel Love". My "claim to fame" is that tune was number one in the charts when I was born! And you're spot on. A contender for top ten greatest tunes of all time.

Seems like you’re the same-ish age as me then, hit 44 last week!

Are there any other folks on this lovely thread in their 40s? These days I only manage about 2/3 club nights out a year (outside of festivals) and do wonder if I’m getting a bit long in the tooth for it now...even if I still feel ok going! I probably look my age, no hair but not too many wrinkles.

Guess I just need reassurance that I’m not the only old fogey raving! To be fair, once I’m in the “zone” isn’t never a problem...but I do get a fair bit of anxiety before a night out that I’m going to get laughed at by the hip young kids!

Just now, The Red Telephone said:

Are there any other folks on this lovely thread in their 40s? These days I only manage about 2/3 club nights out a year (outside of festivals) and do wonder if I’m getting a bit long in the tooth for it now...even if I still feel ok going! I probably look my age, no hair but not too many wrinkles.

Guess I just need reassurance that I’m not the only old fogey raving! To be fair, once I’m in the “zone” isn’t never a problem...but I do get a fair bit of anxiety before a night out that I’m going to get laughed at by the hip young kids!

Reassurance?

I'll ****ing reassure you...!

Wish I was in my forties.

There. Are you happy now????

Ben
x

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

How do you feel about extended DJ sets, Ben? I caught the first part of Floating Points six hour set at Sonar last year and I felt like I was just waiting for it to catch fire. I gave it an hour (mostly based upon advice from this very forum) but because there was so much other stuff I wanted to see, I left. Did I miss something special? Would you have stayed for the duration? 

Not. My. Thing.

I have the attention span of a toddler goldfish.

By far and away my favourite set length is two hours. Less, and there's no room to breathe and create a narrative (though we've all seen some incredible 'hours'). I'm very happy to go to 2.5-3h, but am genuinely not fussed over that. A night of 3-4x 2 hours, with lots of variety between an artist and their immediate successor is perfect for me.

A mate was telling me that HAAi is due to do a 6-hour set in London (actually, just looked - it's on Saturday at VU). I think she's an absolute star. I don't need to see her for 6 hours.

I think that's why I love bands at festivals so much - an hour is perfect for me, most of the time. Then move on to something else great.

Ben

3 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Yep, I'll be 43 in July. No signs of stopping any time soon but in fairness, partying isn't exactly as it was for me, even five years ago. It's different but no less enjoyable. There are some events when I do feel slightly out of place, NASS last year for instance, I was definitely one of the oldest on site but it's never bothered me. Probably cos I still dress like an 18 year old! Love Saves The Day is another where I'm definitely not the target demographic but I'm comfortable when I'm there and right amongst it. I'm a semi-regular at Motion in Bristol and I try to get to at least two Warehouse Project events every season. Outside of festivals I probably go to between 8 or 9 club nights a year and that tends to be from September to April. Every year I try and get as many new electronica experiences in as possible while I still can, all over Europe, especially by myself.

You're never too old. I love the fact that the music and the atmosphere gets me just as excited now as it did when I started out in 1993. Whilst you've got a smile on your face, a spring in your step and if you can still raise your arms in the air I say just keep dancing.

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Not. My. Thing.

I have the attention span of a toddler goldfish.

By far and away my favourite set length is two hours. Less, and there's no room to breathe and create a narrative (though we've all seen some incredible 'hours'). I'm very happy to go to 2.5-3h, but am genuinely not fussed over that. A night of 3-4x 2 hours, with lots of variety between an artist and their immediate successor is perfect for me.

A mate was telling me that HAAi is due to do a 6-hour set in London (actually, just looked - it's on Saturday at VU). I think she's an absolute star. I don't need to see her for 6 hours.

I think that's why I love bands at festivals so much - an hour is perfect for me, most of the time. Then move on to something else great.

Ben

Some people lap up the "journey" of an extended set and others need the variety. Like you, I'm in the latter camp. Especially when there's so much other interesting stuff on hand to enjoy. I do get it, though. I imagine a six hour set would work for me if it was a personal favourite with little else on in the other rooms. 

Has anyone on here really enjoyed an extended set? Arrived at the start and before they know it they've got lost and they're turning the lights on? Be interested to hear people's experiences, who are the best DJs for this kind of thing.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yep, I'll be 43 in July. No signs of stopping any time soon but in fairness, partying isn't exactly as it was for me, even five years ago. It's different but no less enjoyable. There are some events when I do feel slightly out of place, NASS last year for instance, I was definitely one of the oldest on site but it's never bothered me. Probably cos I still dress like an 18 year old! Love Saves The Day is another where I'm definitely not the target demographic but I'm comfortable when I'm there and right amongst it. I'm a semi-regular at Motion in Bristol and I try to get to at least two Warehouse Project events every season. Outside of festivals I probably go to between 8 or 9 club nights a year and that tends to be from September to April. Every year I try and get as many new electronica experiences in as possible while I still can, all over Europe, especially by myself.

You're never too old. I love the fact that the music and the atmosphere gets me just as excited now as it did when I started out in 1993. Whilst you've got a smile on your face, a spring in your step and if you can still raise your arms in the air I say just keep dancing.

Absolutely this.

I go out no more than every 2, usually 3, months, but choose the event really carefully and always have a massive build up of anticipation. I'd much rather do that and (pretty much) every one be a brilliant night. I try to make them Fridays, if I can, as recovery to Monday is much easier. Then there's Glastonbury, when all bets are off and it's four in a row of absolutely full-on. As SC says, you're really never too old. I never really feel out of place, because I know that I'm there purely because I love it, without a shred of trying too hard, or to keep something going that really shouldn't continue. And anyone I talk to there, who are pretty much invariably younger than me, can see that I'm only there because I love to dance to this stuff. I need that community buzz, just every few months, to scratch the itch. I know it can't last forever, but I've got years left. Slightly boringly/grown-up - if you're fit, it is a lot more enjoyable. I'm a runner, so have no problems whatsoever with the physical aspects - a rave is just like a warm-up jog...!

:)

Ben

• Upvote 1