Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

2 hours ago, The60ftOctopus said:

Are you going to House of God?

No, not this one.

I'd dearly like to, of course, especially with Surgeon headlining (his opening set at the last one in November was interesting, but not Surgeon!). 

The only reason I'm not is that I'm out at The White Hotel in Manchester the week after for Daniel Avery curating a fantastic looking event, 8pm-7am, with a live A/V from Alessandro Cortini. Looks like being electronica wonderment in the evening, segueing into full-on rave until the morning. That's heaven to me...!

:)

Ben

7 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

No, not this one.

I'd dearly like to, of course, especially with Surgeon headlining (his opening set at the last one in November was interesting, but not Surgeon!). 

The only reason I'm not is that I'm out at The White Hotel in Manchester the week after for Daniel Avery curating a fantastic looking event, 8pm-7am, with a live A/V from Alessandro Cortini. Looks like being electronica wonderment in the evening, segueing into full-on rave until the morning. That's heaven to me...!

Ben

That sounds like a treat! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jacksamthompson said:

and they're exclusive to all points east...

I think we were pretty certain of that anyway I'm afraid, team.

As discussed earlier in the thread, some of us are pleased that we seem to be getting Wolfgang Flür on IICON, as we have previously found the full 3D show to drag after 30-40 mins or so! Heresy maybe, but Kraftwerk aren't actually that interesting, live!!!

Ben

11 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I think we were pretty certain of that anyway I'm afraid, team.

As discussed earlier in the thread, some of us are pleased that we seem to be getting Wolfgang Flür on IICON, as we have previously found the full 3D show to drag after 30-40 mins or so! Heresy maybe, but Kraftwerk aren't actually that interesting, live!!!

Ben

Was looking forward to seeing them in May but these comments in here are making me wonder if I'll be bored already!

:-)

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Was looking forward to seeing them in May but these comments in here are making me wonder if I'll be bored already!

🙂

Oh gods, @stuie - don't listen to me! I know bugger all!

Saw their 3D headline show at Latitude in 2013. Weather was great. Visuals were really good. The 3D effects really did work (the visuals became, understandably, very flat without the 3D specs on) and it was really fun looking around the field at tens of thousands of people all wearing special glasses! Musically it was entertaining, the sound being one of the best I've ever heard at a festival - especially a main stage. Kraftwerk's engineers spent hours fiddling and testing on the Thursday, and their efforts delivered audio worthy of the music. 

The only thing, I guess, was that after an hour I'd had enough. I am, as has been established to death in these parts, a big techno fan. Whilst in no way underestimating the debt that I personally owe to Kraftwerk, for the music I love today, their tempo, live, just dragged a bit. They put Tour de France in the second half of the set, which was a treat for me, as it's one of my favourite of their melodies, it having been released when I was getting into electronic music (oh my giddy aunt, that was 1983. Fuck, I'm old...), and was just a revelation to me. It was like listening to the future - which, in many ways, it was. But, my attention definitely started to drift towards the last third of the set. Maybe that's just me - I do have a short attention span (which is why I generally prefer festival sets to gigs - an hour is nigh-on perfect for me).

I have no doubt that they'll be brilliant in April and you'll have a fantastic time, and I'm hugely glad that I got to see them, again given their legacy to my dance music life. But, I wouldn't be devastated if I didn't get to see them again.

Ben 

• Upvote 2

Excited for Glitterbox at Printworks next weekend, GB is one of my favourite nights out on the White Isle. Loads of fun. Not been to the venue for anything other than Secret Cinema so although I know what it looks like inside I imagine it's transformed for club nights. It's an all-dayer, too so that'll be a novelty.

What's everyone's thoughts on Printworks? Positive and negative.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Excited for Glitterbox at Printworks next weekend, GB is one of my favourite nights out on the White Isle. Loads of fun. Not been to the venue for anything other than Secret Cinema so although I know what it looks like inside I imagine it's transformed for club nights. It's an all-dayer, too so that'll be a novelty.

Love printworks - awesome sound system. Really good venue in my opinion. Have a fab time!

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Fantastic venue, you'll love it.

15 hours ago, stuie said:

🙂

they're definitely worth seeing once, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. it's more of a "sitting, with a cup of wine in an auditorium nodding along and clapping politely" type thing, than a "standing, with beers, outdoors whooping" thing, in my experience!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Oh gods, @stuie - don't listen to me! I know bugger all!

Saw their 3D headline show at Latitude in 2013. Weather was great. Visuals were really good. The 3D effects really did work (the visuals became, understandably, very flat without the 3D specs on) and it was really fun looking around the field at tens of thousands of people all wearing special glasses! Musically it was entertaining, the sound being one of the best I've ever heard at a festival - especially a main stage. Kraftwerk's engineers spent hours fiddling and testing on the Thursday, and their efforts delivered audio worthy of the music. 

The only thing, I guess, was that after an hour I'd had enough. I am, as has been established to death in these parts, a big techno fan. Whilst in no way underestimating the debt that I personally owe to Kraftwerk, for the music I love today, their tempo, live, just dragged a bit. They put Tour de France in the second half of the set, which was a treat for me, as it's one of my favourite of their melodies, it having been released when I was getting into electronic music (oh my giddy aunt, that was 1983. Fuck, I'm old...), and was just a revelation to me. It was like listening to the future - which, in many ways, it was. But, my attention definitely started to drift towards the last third of the set. Maybe that's just me - I do have a short attention span (which is why I generally prefer festival sets to gigs - an hour is nigh-on perfect for me).

I have no doubt that they'll be brilliant in April and you'll have a fantastic time, and I'm hugely glad that I got to see them, again given their legacy to my dance music life. But, I wouldn't be devastated if I didn't get to see them again.

Ben 

13 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

they're definitely worth seeing once, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. it's more of a "sitting, with a cup of wine in an auditorium nodding along and clapping politely" type thing, than a "standing, with beers, outdoors whooping" thing, in my experience!

Thank you both for your replies!  I guess I could say I'm going with an intrigued mind.  I've listened to the albums over the years and watched shaky mobile phone snippets of the live show but never seen them live.  

I'm aware of their significance within the scene and I'm working at APE - so I'll be there chin stroking, nodding, clapping politely rather than whooping and raving my nut off!

Apologies all, I didn't know they were a All Points East Exclusive! 

Side note, what's everyone's thoughts of the Re-Texture lined up at Tobacco Docks? I've only reccently got back into my Electronic music but it seems there's a few decent names on there for £32

18 minutes ago, jonny2 said:

Apologies all, I didn't know they were a All Points East Exclusive! 

Side note, what's everyone's thoughts of the Re-Texture lined up at Tobacco Docks? I've only reccently got back into my Electronic music but it seems there's a few decent names on there for £32

Decent was considering going myself with a few of my mates but we ended up going Junction 2 instead.