Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

8 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

As a general thing, I do fear those conflating arena size = boozing size is going to lead to letdowns.

Block9 stemmed from a bunch of travellers. They're pro-queer and anti-authoritarian to the death. The idea that they'll suddenly pivot to booking Adam Bayer and Bicep just because they've got a doubly large chunk of land is...a little wide of the mark.

NYC Downlow wasn't a roaring success from the getgo but it evolved into something unmissable. IICON's got to be given the same time to flourish.

You never know – today's Stenny could be tomorrow's Surgeon. Some of the early-evening bookings they're making in this phase will look staggering in years to come.

I have faith in Bloc9 bookers to know a lot more about music than I do. I hadn’t heard of Batu, Stenny or a good few others when the line up was dropped last year, since then I’ve seen Batu twice with tickets to see him in a few weeks and I think Stenny has made some amazing music to the point I don’t understand how it passed me by before.

I personally don’t want to see it turn into some business techno hot bed. Isn’t that the point of Arcadia/Pangeea anyway? I’d rather they book some acts I’m a fan of and some acts I’ll soon be a fan of. 

If the field is half empty but full of people there for the right reasons isn’t that better?

I’m sure I read somewhere that Kerri Chandler, MAW and whoever else played the Downlow over the years did so due to word of mouth and for a lot smaller fee than usual. 

Edited by Tommy Dickfingers

9 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

As a general thing, I do fear those conflating arena size = boozing size is going to lead to letdowns.

Block9 stemmed from a bunch of travellers. They're pro-queer and anti-authoritarian to the death. The idea that they'll suddenly pivot to booking Adam Bayer and Bicep just because they've got a doubly large chunk of land is...a little wide of the mark.

NYC Downlow wasn't a roaring success from the getgo but it evolved into something unmissable. IICON's got to be given the same time to flourish.

You never know – today's Stenny could be tomorrow's Surgeon. Some of the early-evening bookings they're making in this phase will look staggering in years to come.

I have to admit to not really knowing that much about Stenny before he played IICON last year, now I'm seeing Stenny b2b Skee Mask or Zenker Bros at all the top electronic festivals 

4 minutes ago, jonny2 said:

What do you guys think the chances of Helena Hauff showing her face are?

Can't see it, she's playing Awakenings. 

Outwith Block 9 which we'd need to be pretty certain she isn't booked for at this stage (not even sure if they'd book her anyway), I can't see where she would play

Some of you guys are so on the pulse with names it's frightening. I struggle to keep up! But I appreciate it though, this little sub-community is a real education and the great thing about it is, no matter the names that get suggested (apart from Patrick Topping - @bennyhana22), muso snobbery is minimal. Best thread on eFests.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I’m only a casual fan of electronic music probably listen to it most of all music I do listen to but I wasn’t brought up on it. I have massive gaps in what I know. A lot of what I’m into has been put onto me by friends sending stuff and taking me to club and festival sets. 

I’m 28 years old and I accepted a very long time ago I’d never be one of the heads and that’s absolutely fine by me. I’d say in a scene full of snobbery this place is one of the least snobby places I catch recommendations from. Sometimes on Facebook groups I’ve been invited to I feel like I’m reading another language.

My "main" genre isn't electronic music, but I got into it when I was about 18. I am 36 now and have fallen behind a bit on names as I don't go out like I used to. I was into Trance and "classic trance" is probably the sub genre I can geek out on the most. It is true that this place is a lot more welcoming than other electronic music forums / discussions. The snobbery is minimal.

4 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

This would fucking rule but he's a tricky customer, from experience. Plausibly out of the price range.

Damn. I would love to see him on the farm.

24 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

This would fucking rule but he's a tricky customer, from experience. Plausibly out of the price range.

This may be something you can only sort of answer,  but do you think with the bigger production now their price ranger has increased? I know a lot of their bigger bookings, ie Karenn, Hessle, Kerri C, Larry Heard etc won't have been doing it for the money, but do you think nowadays they've more scope to push the boat out a touch?

56 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I’m sure I read somewhere that Kerri Chandler, MAW and whoever else played the Downlow over the years did so due to word of mouth and for a lot smaller fee than usual. 

Reckon Kerri Chandler in the downlow was where I first "got it" (2013 maybe?), absolute full faith in the B9 crew, never let me down 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

There's no real science to it, but DJs can sort of decide whether they want to be in the 1% or not, how tight they want their agents to stick to their guns or whether they'll take a cheeseburger gig here and there when it feels right.

Also british DJs tends to know what Glastonbury is / attended when they were yoofs / still attend / will be there anyway.

You’l be surprised how many DJs on the weekend have weekend tickets. 

International DJs are hard to rope in. Awakenings being the same weekend makes it even harder.

But then, there is a silver lining. British DJs and their agents happily agree to play multiple sets for free because they love the place and get the ethos. They even pay for their own travel and expenses. Without the Brits block 9 wouldn’t be what it is.

Long may Block9’s philosophy continue. Reading the G50 book only served to strengthen my belief in the Farm as one of very few (the only?) ventures of its size and reputation which still has those core values at its heart. Gideon and the B9 team are a perfect example of how some people still strive to keep things, forgive me, real. I rejoice in the fact that the Downlow, a venue that holds almost nothing for me musically (I try guys, really I do), remains the crown jewel of Block9 and one of the beacons of the festival in its outlook and brief. For me, Block9 sits comfortably amongst the very best areas of the festival. Shangri-La is very impressive, but always feels less ‘genuine’ to me, as if it is a hugely impressive temporary place, but not so much a periodic community.

And, y’know, Maceo’s...

Ben

In other news, my next, and final pre-Farm, blowout is Daniel Avery curating at The White Hotel in April. 

Alessandro Cortini doing a live A/V will be worth the admission alone! The lead track from the forthcoming record with DA is phenomenal. Also got Avery DJing, Hiro Kone live, Mor Elian DJing (she was bloody fantastic at The Pickle Factory 10 days ago...). And it’s the White Hotel. Should be glorious. 

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

18 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I am at Hidden for DJ rush next month, then at Majefa in Manchester  for A trance +  techno night (yours truly is playing warm up and maybe a bit later on too) .

I might go to I hate models at Hidden too, but the sets I have heard are a bit up and down in quality.

Otherwise I am pretty bare for clubbing.

Well bloody well get yourself to the Avery night, you boob!

Ben

11 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Sonja Moonear is playing up here at the end of March which I'm hoping to get to, but I'm currently knee deep in my dissertation which is due at the beginning of April, so tomfoolery is on the back burner

She was pretty great at E1 the weekend before last...though I reckon Nicolas Lutz might just have shaded the win! Two and a half hours from each and Lutz dropped some stellar acid mid-set. I liked E1, though the crowd were a bit hit and miss. In contrast, the Pickle Factory crowd were bloody fab. My kind of place that - small, good system, no wannabes. Cracking atmosphere. I thanked both Mor Elian and Walton for smashing sets. Walton finished his two hours with 30 minutes of blistering 150+ bpm breaks. Flippin ‘eck!

Ben