Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

7 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I have absolutely no interest going to Boomtown. I don’t think I’d go if they let me pick the fucking line up to be honest and I love doing K. 

LOL

What is it that puts you off, out of interest?

I agree with all of your post but that's after going a few times.  The level of production and immersiveness is pretty much unrivalled so I guess it's a bit like glasto in that people should try it once.

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I'd need to practice my stamina before going to Houghton if I went there. The 10-3/4 club scene in Glasgow wouldn't suffice

You'd surely need to time when you chose to go to sleep so you don't miss some sets worth seeing?

I didn’t sleep from Friday night to Sunday night lol.

I had a lot of help but it wasn’t as difficult as it sounds. Everyone else is doing it so you just kinda get swept up into it.

Of course during the day time and the sun was out I probably nodded off for a few minutes on a camping chair but I wasn’t really tucked up in a sleeping bag all weekend (other than Thursday night)

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

LOL

What is it that puts you off, out of interest?

I agree with all of your post but that's after going a few times.  The level of production and immersiveness is pretty much unrivalled so I guess it's a bit like glasto in that people should try it once.

The people mate not gonna sugar coat it. The people and the atmospheres of the festival aren’t for me.

By people I mean your cliche Boomtown goer not anyone personally. 

1 hour ago, aidenlangan95 said:

The only negative for Houghton is the alcohol restriction; 8 cans of beer/cider or one bottle of wine.

Appreciate that it is really not important in the grand scheme of things but that seems extreme to me.

Yeah this sucks to be honest. Really fucking sucks and they take it really seriously.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I didn’t sleep from Friday night to Sunday night lol.

I had a lot of help but it wasn’t as difficult as it sounds. Everyone else is doing it so you just kinda get swept up into it.

Of course during the day time and the sun was out I probably nodded off for a few minutes on a camping chair but I wasn’t really tucked up in a sleeping bag all weekend (other than Thursday night)

How much speed are you doing like?

I’m good for about 24-32 hours with a lot of sitting down then I just cannot be arsed unless I’ve had a do at speed.

Honestly think Houghton would finish me off if I did it properly. Fair play. 

Then again, there's not much that can't be fixed with a few hours kip and a massive smoothie, followed by climbing the mountain again with your pals and some lovely lovely tunes.

1 minute ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

How much speed are you doing like?

I’m good for about 24-32 hours with a lot of sitting down then I just cannot be arsed unless I’ve had a do at speed.

Erm well I’d take breaks from the dancing to just sit somewhere near the music. There are looaaads of chill out spots which are really great. Hammocks and like sofas etc that are amazing. 

Kinda got into this routine while being there. Chill about the place during the day, maybe see one or two sets - head into the arena seriously from like 8pm ish and leave the main area at like 9am /10am whenever the big stages would be done. Then head over to terminus and all of a sudden you’d find it would become like 2/3pm and then we’d go back to the campsite get some food and then head out again.

I know it sounds completely bonkers but time just completely fell away at that place. You’d find that it would become night time really quickly... if that makes sense.

Also the atmosphere about the place from sunrise to midday was just incredible. Good music and everyone in such a jokey mood. I’ve never seen so many people just wandering around aimlessly chatting to people.

2 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Honestly think Houghton would finish me off if I did it properly. Fair play. 

Then again, there's not much that can't be fixed with a few hours kip and a massive smoothie, followed by climbing the mountain again with your pals and some lovely lovely tunes.

I think the reason why it’s manageable it’s because it’s a festival not a club. If you wanna go for a five minute lie down and then go back to the music you can. If you did that in a club they’d chuck you out for flagging.

At a club the reason why (in theory) you peak quicker is because there is nowhere to actually chill for an hour and recharge. Because you can take some time to put yourself back together I find that you last longer. Because when you take a break you take an actual break.

Edited by Matt42

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah this sucks to be honest. Really fucking sucks and they take it really seriously.

I can't believe they take this seriously. It wouldn't bother me at all, but it just seems a massive over reaction. Is it a licensing issue with the 24hrs that causes it? and I assume it means the searches are full on at the gates to control it?

3 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I can't believe they take this seriously. It wouldn't bother me at all, but it just seems a massive over reaction. Is it a licensing issue with the 24hrs that causes it? and I assume it means the searches are full on at the gates to control it?

I have an explanation but it’s probably not a PC explanation.

Its probably vital that the bar gets traction. But I never understand the confiscation argument as we can bring as much booze as we want to Glastonbury and whenever I’m at Pilton I can barely get near any bar to buy drinks. All the bars are glasto are too busy and there’s no confiscation ban at all.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I think the reason why it’s manageable it’s because it’s a festival not a club. If you wanna go for a five minute lie down and then go back to the music you can. If you did that in a club they’d chuck you out for flagging.

At a club the reason why (in theory) you peak quicker is because there is nowhere to actually chill for an hour and recharge. Because you can take some time to put yourself back together I find that you last longer. Because when you take a break you take an actual break.

Reading your description it is making me wanna go now! (Not that I didn't before, but you've framed it perfectly).

I think you're exactly right. When I sit down at a club I usually find it's because it's all a bit much inside, then you go back in and it's immediately entering that dark wall of sound again. Obviously that can be perfect and what you want a lot of the time, but it can be also be a struggle. 

1 minute ago, Zacko said:

Reading your description it is making me wanna go now! (Not that I didn't before, but you've framed it perfectly).

I think you're exactly right. When I sit down at a club I usually find it's because it's all a bit much inside, then you go back in and it's immediately entering that dark wall of sound again. Obviously that can be perfect and what you want a lot of the time, but it can be also be a struggle. 

Also there are plenty of places to sit where you are still pretty close to the music. For the first half of Villalobos’s set I was sat on a tree looking over the crowd which was nice. He did this thing (which he does sometimes) where he plays pure ambient for the first hour or so of his set before deciding how hard he wants to shell it. It was beautiful though and you do get opportunities to rest.

I think that’s the best way to describe it. You have plenty opportunity to rest at houghton, but not to sleep. If that makes sense?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Also there are plenty of places to sit where you are still pretty close to the music. For the first half of Villalobos’s set I was sat on a tree looking over the crowd which was nice. He did this thing (which he does sometimes) where he plays pure ambient for the first hour or so of his set before deciding how hard he wants to shell it. It was beautiful though and you do get opportunities to rest.

I think that’s the best way to describe it. You have plenty opportunity to rest at houghton, but not to sleep. If that makes sense?

Sounds amazing.  I'm literally counting down my life to get to this festival now and I've got a fair bit on the planner before it.

12 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I guess it's the same as Noisily - it cost a lot to put on a show like this so to keep ticket price low and keep it sponsor free / free party vibe they need to take on the bars.

I went to Houghton in 2017 and the music and stages were fantastic. It honestly felt like another planet. The lack of any advertised stage times, with lots of the acts popping up on multiple occasions often doing 6 + hour sets really contributed to its unique feel. 

The alcohol rules are pretty rubbish though and when I went they were charging £5.50 for pints of Amstel as the sole beer option (the IPA ran out IIRC). They may well have changed that now though! 

On the bus back to King Lynn’s a chap in front me said he hadn’t slept since he arrived (3 days ago) and, looking at his appearance, I believed him! 

Edited by lessthanwill1

Just now, Madyaker said:

Oh do they get more expensive? Might just go for it so

No as in I’m probably gonna bank on getting a second hand ticket. I can’t really commit to another festival until after Glastonbury is done and dusted. Should be enough time to sort a ticket out.

On 2/5/2020 at 10:12 AM, zeppelin said:

Anyone been to Inner City Electronic in Leeds before? I think this is only the third year. 

FB_IMG_1580897404674.jpg

I did the 1st one and was great and my wife went last year and enjoyed it too. 

So am looking forward to this but move to March hadn't dawned on me until someone else posted it. 

Only downside is the refectory. Probably my least favourite venue in Leeds

15 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Houghton likely to sell out soon?

We were convinced it would sell out on Tuesday, hence the panic when RA kept declining all of our cards for no reason! 

Previously it's sold out on the first day and people who had tickets to last years cancelled fest had a 1 week priority window.   Can only guess that cancellation has put people off?