Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

2 hours ago, zeppelin said:

Anyone been to Inner City Electronic in Leeds before? I think this is only the third year. 

yeah i've been to the first two. its a good event but I found the best part about last year was the outdoor stage with MCDE. Oddly they have moved the event from early June to March and i am not sure that has necessarily paid off for them.

Personally think the lineup is the weakest of the three years.

Multi venue festivals work really well for bands but not really well at all for DJs. Who gets to 1am in a club and thinks, oh let's go elsewhere? What if where you want to go is full? Despite the fact leeds is a small compact city some of the venues are still miles away from each other.

Also who on earth is going to be paying £45-50 when you will in reality only get to one or two of the venues where those lineups would be about £10-£20 each on a normal night? It just doesnt make sense unless Orbital are on at gig hours. I think they are gambling on loads of kids paying to see peggy gou as she is at her peak of popularity.

There are talks and workshops during the day but with the summer element taken away I can see anything getting going until mid evening at the earliest.

Edited by Memory Man

30 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Do you think that when approached to play an event, Adam Beyer says "it's the whole label, or none of us"?!

:D

Ben

There's definitely some kind of Drumcode discount scheme in operation for festivals. 

Buy one get DJ get one free?

21 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

A very good lineup. I think Houghton has fully got me but it’s a good effort from Boomtown.

Houghton's also got a 24 hour music licence while Boomtown struggles on with sound limits and having to close stages from midnight to keep the sound under the permitted levels. 

13 minutes ago, stuie said:

Houghton's also got a 24 hour music licence while Boomtown struggles on with sound limits and having to close stages from midnight to keep the sound under the permitted levels. 

The sound at Boomtown improved a lot last year (at least compared to 2018) and the big stages close at 3am on Friday and Saturday (some smaller stages go on until 4am).

However, they do shut down everything at midnight on Sunday (I would recommend going into the Hidden Woods afterwards on that night).

Would love it if Boomtown could get a 24 hour license like Houghton; that is Houghton's big USP.

Basically, I would highly recommend Boomtown, but Houghton looks amazing as well.

Edited by aidenlangan95

3 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

The sound at Boomtown improved a lot last year (at least compared to 2018) and the big stages close at 3am on Friday and Saturday. However, they do shut down at midnight on Sunday.

Would love it if Boomtown could get a 24 hour license like Houghton; that is Houghton's big USP.

Basically, I would highly recommend Boomtown, but Houghton looks amazing as well.

I gave up on Boomtown after 2018 with the poor sound, removing smaller stages like the Rave Yard, closing other stages early and chopping sound in places like Metropolis to keep the total site output down.

Also found the crowd to be going too much in the excessive ket don't give a shit direction.

I heard good things about last year though. 

But for me this year, it's Glasto - Noisily - Houghton.

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

Also found the crowd to be going too much in the excessive ket don't give a shit direction.

I found the boomtown crowd full of younguns with big talk about how much drugs they could do. But everyone was in bed by 1am.

Honestly the place was dead after 3am. 

I found the crowd talked big but couldn’t hack it in reality. Much prefer the Houghton crowd who were in it for the long game.

17 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

The sound at Boomtown improved a lot last year (at least compared to 2018) and the big stages close at 3am on Friday and Saturday (some smaller stages go on until 4am).

However, they do shut down everything at midnight on Sunday (I would recommend going into the Hidden Woods afterwards on that night).

I loved my first (and only so far) Boomtown in 2018. Sound is variable, from really poor (Pagoda Plaza - what a wasted opportunity that was) to as good as I've heard outdoors (Tribe of Frog - admittedly a small area, so presumably 'easier' to make stellar than a huge field...).

The thing that did bother me was the midnight finishes on both Thursday and Sunday. If you're a dance monkey, it's that run of nights of debauchery at a festival that make it different to any other experience. Given how much focus there is on (all) dance (genres) at Boomtown, the restrictions, though no fault of the incredible organising team, are quite conspicuous...

Ben

21 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I found the boomtown crowd full of younguns with big talk about how much drugs they could do. But everyone was in bed by 1am.

Honestly the place was dead after 3am. 

I found the crowd talked big but couldn’t hack it in reality. Much prefer the Houghton crowd who were in it for the long game.

Again, Tribe of Frog was the place to be. Friday and Saturday the Psytrance gang absolutely thumping 'til they pulled the plug at 0355h. Two of my favourite festival nights were spent there...

Saying that, I'm sure you're right, @Matt42 - the Houghton crowd are likely to be self-selected all-nighters. So much of Boomtown was groups of identikit late-teenagers who were Ketted out by 6pm and never really recovered. Each to their own, of course, but to me that's just wasted opportunity to party!

Ben

13 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

The thing that did bother me was the midnight finishes on both Thursday and Sunday.

Good job you didn't turn up on the Wednesday then, with a 10pm finish across all publicly accessible stages.

The amount of complaints about that..

• Upvote 1