Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

14 minutes ago, gordong said:

Thoughts on Calvin Harris’s new EP? Bit of a wild turn to his previous stuff...would love to know thoughts from people on this thread. 

Hmmmm, interesting. I don't mind it but it's nothing that wasn't done better in 91/92 but the production is obviously superior. I just hope the next EDM trend isn't to bastardise a style and sound that I hold very close to my heart. Can't see Ellis Dee with an Omnia Las Vegas residency...

6 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I like quite like them to be honest. Nowt groundbreaking, but decent

Agreed. Be nice to hear when it comes on radio or whatever. I wonder how big these songs become because he’s a hit machine.

Calvin Harris is obviously a very talented producer he just wants to make massive coin which he’s succeeded in. I think One Kiss is an absolute banger. 

One of my favourite producers is releasing an album on my favourite label. Gotta say I am excited.

Not really sure if there’s any chance in hell of Traumer on the farm. However, if anyone wants to know what electronic music really floats my boat it’s this.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.decks.de/m/traumer-assembling_pieces/cg5-v6

Previews sound great too!

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

One of my favourite producers is releasing an album on my favourite label. Gotta say I am excited.

Not really sure if there’s any chance in hell of Traumer on the farm. However, if anyone wants to know what electronic music really floats my boat it’s this.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.decks.de/m/traumer-assembling_pieces/cg5-v6

Previews sound great too!

Really like the overall sound, tempo and beats he makes, Matt. My only ‘criticism’ is that the sound is really similar in pretty much all of those track samples. Drops one of the floor fillers in a set, great. Whole album? Possibly not quite for me!

Ben

On 1/23/2020 at 4:36 PM, gordong said:

Thoughts on Calvin Harris’s new EP? Bit of a wild turn to his previous stuff...would love to know thoughts from people on this thread. 

Pleasantly surprising! Obvious where the influences come from for Hypnagogic, production is as silky as a galaxy. I genuinely loved his first album with its sarcastic take on “the industry”. Disappeared up his own arse afterwards making paint by numbers trance. This is nice though.

*sidenote and shitty claim to fame, I used to play football with him at Secondary School. He was pish.

• Upvote 1

On 1/22/2020 at 8:23 PM, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Would love to see Nobu, Villalobos, Rubinstein and Helena Hauff at Glastonbury. Seem like bookings they would make but probably can’t afford? 

The people who can book them for the prices that Glastonbury could afford don’t have anything to do with the stages at Glastonbury.

3 minutes ago, blakester said:

Does anybody know if andrew Weatherall has played in recent years? I’d love for his night at love from outer space’ to make an appearance.

im also hoping to see Greg Wilson who appears to play most years.

Weatherall hasn’t played in my time going. Would love a set from him similar to this

https://m.soundcloud.com/dkmntl/andrew-weatherall-at-dekmantel-festival-2019

It was brilliant. There as a moment when it absolutely hammered it down like apocalyptic downpour,  I was tripping my head off on 2CB stood watching it from the safety of the tent

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 4:27 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Annoyed I missed Spektre on the Farm last year. Hoping they get booked again this year, this time somewhere dark and dingy at night. 

Ben

I've messaged Paul from Spektre to see if they've been asked to play again. Definitely need a different venue for them!

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

I've messaged Paul from Spektre to see if they've been asked to play again. Definitely need a different venue for them!

I've actually had a good night in Spaceport - unlikely as it seems, Richy Ahmed was playing such a banging techno set on the Saturday night in 2016, that I decided not to go and see Plaid on Glade.

So I don't mind the venue. I do mind being in there at 2 o'clock in the afternoon!

:)

Ben

So last night I went to Fabric. I really enjoy reading night out stories on here, so I thought I’d share some thoughts on some sets I saw last night.

Its no surprise to people that know me that Ricardo Villalobos is one of my favourite DJ’s, and his extended fabric sessions are marathons which I believe ever raver should experience. I was also excited to see Craig Richards solo again, alongside Saorise and DJ Stingray.

Saorise and Craig provided great warmup duties in room one. I believe that Craig Richards performed like his typical self. When he is solo, he really knows how to work the fabric crowd and raise the energy and keep the crowd going till the early hours. My highlight of the set is when he dropped one of my favourite Hi Ryze tunes from 1990. Some lovely bleeps.

Stingray in room 2 was a lot of fun. I have seen stingray a lot and my only criticism with him is that sometimes he relies on the same tracks in different sets, and his set can sometimes be predictable. However, last night he was a lot of fun and played a lot of jokes tunes. I enjoyed it but I go to Fabric for the serious stuff so I was ready for a bit of Villalobos head wobble.

I have seen Ricardo play many many times, and there have been some stinkers and some absolutely incredible sets. I always say to people with Ricardo you’ve got to catch him up where he feels the most relaxed and comfortable to experiment. When Ricardo is on form, there really isn’t any DJ that compares. He inspires me as he has this incredibly unique way of mixing that no one else can replicate. There is also an aura that comes out of him when he plays which makes an event sentimental. 

This was not my favourite Ricardo set, but that is not say it was bad. He turned up an hour and 15 minutes late and started djing about 7:30am. He had been at Robert Johnson in Offenbach Germany the night before. That wrapped up about 2pm so I’m not sure if he had any sleep at all before Fabric. He started his set with some ambient drum beats and for the first hour it was a mix between muffled beats and Spanish guitar. Then to bring the energy up he mixed in the Creatures remix of Susanna Vega’s Tom’s Diner.

From this point onwards until the end it was a mix of lovely percussion driven minimal house and techno grooves mixed in the signature Ricardo Villalobos style.

Fabric remains one of my favourite clubs. It’s very rare that you can spend ten hours in a club and the whole experience runs so smoothly. Time seems to wander away in there.

3A1E52DE-543A-4A24-9617-6745AFF49396.jpeg

• Upvote 5

@Matt42

Great rave report, Matt. Like you, I love reading people’s accounts of their nights out in here. 

Rest assured, and in the minimal spirit of RV, I’ll be posting in two weeks after I’ve seen Sonja Moonear at E1. Can. Not. Wait. 

@Tommy Dickfingers - if Stingray was announced for Glastonbury I would go mental. His style of mixing top quality electro with an occasional techno track dropped in is one of my favourite types of set. 

Ben 

• Upvote 1