Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

16 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Thanks honestly I really do appreciate it.

If I’m going it’s Junction 2 or RE:Textured so I’d be after a smaller space for the afters. If I’m totally honest I’d say I’m after more experienced (not self entitled little shits) crowd with more emphasis on atmosphere and vibe than booking every in DJ under the sun for a 1.5 hour set.

They have enough of that at WHP. Can’t be arsed traveling for it. I wouldn’t go to any night without being into the lineup. Probably looking more for places to avoid so I don’t end up fed up and fucking off back my digs.

XOYO one to avoid then? Probably avoid Fabric and Printworks also.

Did anyone go Junction 2 last time? 

Did Junction last year - echoing what everyone else has said, it's just a really unique and all round good time really. The Bridge stage really does live up to the hype. 

If I went again I'd probably go on the Friday. I love techno, but maybe slightly less than I love house and disco, so after four or five hours I do fancy a bit more of a boogie. That's just my own taste though, not a dig at J2 at all! 

Not much lined up for me until Glasto now, although Honey Dijon and DJ Seinfeld at Motion is looking likely. Also reckon we'll be all over the Alfresco Disco 15th birthday when it's announced. 

Despacio on at Sonar. Decent enough line up but nothing I’d travel for having been on that site for Primavera I wasn’t mad on I myself.

Sonar usually has sick parties not to do with the festival though doesn’t it? I remember an Innervisions one looking absolutely class except for Innervisions affiliates hahaha

12 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Keep seeing Squarepusher and 9x9 popping up at summer festivals. Block 9 possibilities? 

Dunno if anyone's already seen this but it popped up on my twitter feed. Squarepusher in London 1st Feb 

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/squarepusher/squarpusher-five-miles-1st-feb-2020-ticket-album-bundles/lp

18 hours ago, Acid Loafers said:

I'd honestly just look on RA on the night as Lineup usually > venue for me, but I guess I'm lucky enough to be able to know the London spaces now.

To add on what others have said:

Printworks, go if you've never been, big warehouse vibes. Having been a few times, it gets a bit old or I don't think anything will ever top my first time in there seeing Bicep.

Fabric is another that I'd suggest checking if you've never been. Usually gets all the people that are not from UK's attention as it's very central and quite an easy/guaranteed good night. (I dunno I just always meet French, Italians and Spaniards in there...) I'm not into the DnB nights they put on, and I think the place is at it's best when all 3 rooms are open, always a bit gutted when it's just R1.

Phonox can be a great vibe depending who's playing (a bit of a trend with me), it's like XOYO (managed/owned by same team) but only 1 room and a cosy bar downstairs and usually not too rammo. I live close by so kinda love it. A few people say it's pretty young, so if you're 30+ you might think you're the oldest person in the room, but you're probably not, maybe second oldest :P 

Village Underground has been booking some decent All Night Longs this year, dunno who's managing but they are getting some decent names doing fun things. Another 1 room, more of a venue than a club but very fun, am also going to HAAi's All Night Long later this year. 

Micks Garage in Hackney also book some fun nights, it's a coffee roasters during the week and turns into a club from Friday.

Just avoid XOYO. No matter what. It's never worth it.

Why do you hate XOYO? I really enjoy it, think the downstairs room is the perfect size and the soundsystem is really good. 

17 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Well we’ve just bought Friday tickets. If we decide to go on Saturday as well gonna tout them or something. 

Can anyone recommend places to stay in London? We’re probably gonna be just going for pints on Saturday day/night so somewhere decent for that in the summer be handy. Appreciated!

travelodges arent the best as im sure we all know, but we used the vauxhall one when we went to junction 2 as it is right outside the (24h) tube and rail - the rail goes from vauxhall to brentford where you can get off for junction 2. couldnt be more convenient.

Edited by Memory Man

1 hour ago, gordong said:

Why do you hate XOYO? I really enjoy it, think the downstairs room is the perfect size and the soundsystem is really good. 

Weighing in as another non-fan of XOYO. I don't enjoy the layout, always find it way too dark and boiling hot in there (I know for some this would be a positive), generally have bad experiences with the staff, and, biggest of all for me, they have hands down the worst smoking area of any club I've been too.

34 minutes ago, waltere said:

they have hands down the worst smoking area of any club I've been too.

25 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Is the smoking area that important?

It's one of the most cramped smoking areas that I've ever been in and just was a very unpleasant experience.

As for the importance, smoker or not, it's always good to have a nice, cool place to go to when you get too hot or need a break.  XOYO can get boiling so not having a comfortable smoking area is another little negative to add to the list

14 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

It's one of the most cramped smoking areas that I've ever been in and just was a very unpleasant experience.

As for the importance, smoker or not, it's always good to have a nice, cool place to go to when you get too hot or need a break.  XOYO can get boiling so not having a comfortable smoking area is another little negative to add to the list

I’ve never been to XOYO so it’s daft me throwing me oar in. Agree with you that you need a little safe haven sometimes I don’t think it should be the smoking area but I suppose if you’re in a club that doesn’t have a little chill spot away from it all then you’ve gotta make do with what you’ve got.

46 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Are you talking about the old smoking area? Up the stairs? The one they've had the last few times I've gone has been fine, just a little roped off bit out on the road. The layout they introduced last year (?) is a great improvement, still very dark and very hot, which for me isn't the worst thing in the world. 

3 hours ago, waltere said:

they have hands down the worst smoking area of any club I've been too.

This is accurate. It is a 5m long section of pavement in which on some nights they try to prohibit any noise.

Old Street is a very appetising areas to developers so they try to prevent noise complaints, guess that's understandable. The bouncers can be shite about it too though and it does kill the vibe of the party.

That said they have some cracking parties and the overall intentions of the club are very good in the same way they are at the sister-club Phonox.

On 1/15/2020 at 5:23 PM, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Did anyone go Junction 2 last time? 

Been to all three, it’s just an amazing event. Great location, no ridiculous sound restrictions, the systems are all amazing. 

The main stage under the bridge is special. It’s mental under there. Sitting out on the grass watching all the traffic going over the bridge without a clue what’s going off underneath it always blows my mind.

It attracts a quality crowd as well... never seemingly too many twats. 

2 hours ago, waltere said:

I'm talking about the roped off bit of the road. And as @Kinkyinuit said it's not just about the smoking itself but having an area to cool down and chill, both literally and metaphorically. As someone who is quite warm and sweaty at the best of times these things matter to me

Ah fair enough, the old smoking area when it first opened was absolute hell, I don’t smoke anymore so haven’t been too troubled by the couple of places they’ve had it since. It’s defo not one of my favourite clubs though, think I’ve had a great night in there about 50% of the time. 

9 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Worst smoking area for me by far was WHP Store Street, that was pathetic, so cramped with massive queues to get outside. XOYO‘s isn’t great I’ll admit, my mate had to spew there and it was all a bit stressful. 

Strange, never noticed it being too hot...I only started going in the past year or so, maybe they’ve made a big improvement.