Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

1 minute ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I went 2017 and 2019 I’d argue this year better than both of them. Who you think is missing/not into? 

Without even yet having had the chance to look at the line-up, from my long-term patronage of this thread of threads, I would say that crossover between you and the estimable @ghostdancer1 is...erm...fairly low!

:)

Ben

12 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Without even yet having had the chance to look at the line-up, from my long-term patronage of this thread of threads, I would say that crossover between you and the estimable @ghostdancer1 is...erm...fairly low!

:)

Ben

Haha you say that but we’ve been to Dekmantel and Glastonbury probably at the same time. Suppose it shows the strength of the bookings that we might have had entirely different festivals.

2 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I went 2017 and 2019 I’d argue this year better than both of them. Who you think is missing/not into? 

not so much anyone missing (although quite a few Dekmantel regulars not appearing this year), or anyone that i'm not into, just not really feeling any great excitement at that lineup. there's no "ooooof", which previous years had. it's fine , but nothing really that makes me want to book flights/accom. I dunno if i'd be bothered seeing 10hrs of Theo Parrish or "Hunee does techno" if they were playing here, let alone as 2 of the bigger selling points for Dekmantel this year.

I'm hoping the Sonar lineup will be more interesting, out tomorrow apparently.

the Junction2 lineup is much more tempting to me, even if that would also involve flights/accom. top 5 I'd like to see from that would be: 9x9, Ben, Blawan, Dax J, Midland

5 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Would be tempted to see what was on after the day event at other clubs in London as I’ve never been out there. Which are the better spaces in London?

Printworks, Fabric, XOYO, Ministry, Egg

It's not as good as it used to be...

RIP Turnmills, The Cross, Bagleys, The End, Fridge.

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

not so much anyone missing (although quite a few Dekmantel regulars not appearing this year), or anyone that i'm not into, just not really feeling any great excitement at that lineup. there's no "ooooof", which previous years had. it's fine , but nothing really that makes me want to book flights/accom. I dunno if i'd be bothered seeing 10hrs of Theo Parrish or "Hunee does techno" if they were playing here, let alone as 2 of the bigger selling points for Dekmantel this year.

I'm hoping the Sonar lineup will be more interesting, out tomorrow apparently.

the Junction2 lineup is much more tempting to me, even if that would also involve flights/accom. top 5 I'd like to see from that would be: 9x9, Ben, Blawan, Dax J, Midland

To be honest I wouldn’t watch Hunee doing techno either although I’d be into Theo Parrish. Hopefully skip the 2 hour free jazz part. 

This might seem sacrilegious to some of you but I think Ben Klock is one of the most boring DJ’s I’ve ever seen. Wish I got him to be honest.

I’m thinking of Junction 2 myself buzz down on train my mate lives in London or could get a gaff. Say travel and accommodation be under 150 for me. Looking at the line ups I’d be more into the Friday.

Dunno about you lot but nar days I’m good for one day and night and then I start to struggle a bit unless it’s Glastonbury. Dekmantel this year nearly wrote me off.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Printworks, Fabric, XOYO, Ministry, Egg

It's not as good as it used to be...

RIP Turnmills, The Cross, Bagleys, The End, Fridge.

Which is better for the big club thing? Fabric or Printworks? Fabric system meant to be incredible. What’s FOLD like?

Edited by Tommy Dickfingers

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

sorry, i meant Ben UFO.

I'd agree on Klock, I like my techno banging, Klock is far too dull for my liking.

Innit I can’t be arsed with his fizzy high hat shite. Ben UFO probably my favourite DJ. Maybe not the most niche choice but he’s absolutely sick.

Love International line up is decent also. I think the problem with a lot of these festivals is the same names keep appearing so they all lose the wow factor I. You could predict a lot of the line ups on most of them. I guess what sets them apart are the left field bookings which Dekmantel usually do a brilliant job of.

I wonder if word has gotten around DJ circles about Icon. I’m sure a lot of people would love to play there given the chance. 

27 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Which is better for the big club thing? Fabric or Printworks? Fabric system meant to be incredible. What’s FOLD like?

Fabric sound is incredible, and the bass in Room 1 goes right through your body.   Whilst it's big it's more intimate than Printworks.  Printworks is a great space, tall ceilings, upper balcony, really unique building and the sound is good too, you can get right next to the giant floor standing stacks.   Hard to say which is better, just different.  I'd say choose by the event / who's playing if you've not done either.

Not been to Fold yet.

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

Fabric sound is incredible, and the bass in Room 1 goes right through your body.   Whilst it's big it's more intimate than Printworks.  Printworks is a great space, tall ceilings, upper balcony, really unique building and the sound is good too, you can get right next to the giant floor standing stacks.   Hard to say which is better, just different.  I'd say choose by the event / who's playing if you've not done either.

Not been to Fold yet.

Thanks mate

2 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Had the best night I've had in London in a long time at FOLD last month. Was blown away how well done the venue is. The Berghain comparisons are not far off when you consider the 24hr license, the incubating feel and all that. Compared to Printworks and Fabric the accoutrements are significantly more subtle and the crowd less tourist-y.

Aphex at Printworks was massive but boy do they like to ram it tight in there.

Stringent door checks for all of them. That'll be a constant wherever you go.

Think I’ve always compared Fabric and Printworks to WHP in my head. They have their place and I’ve had sick time’s there but probably isn’t what I’d be looking for ideally and like you said they properly pack you in.

I’m a tight man no way I’m losing anything I’ve paid good money for. Tuck it all behind my knackers me always have always will never been caught yet touch wood. 

I’ll have to see what’s on nearer the time and if anyone even fancies going yet. Thanks for the advice everyone. 

7 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Would be tempted to see what was on after the day event at other clubs in London as I’ve never been out there. Which are the better spaces in London? I’m clueless to be totally honest. 

I'd honestly just look on RA on the night as Lineup usually > venue for me, but I guess I'm lucky enough to be able to know the London spaces now.

To add on what others have said:

Printworks, go if you've never been, big warehouse vibes. Having been a few times, it gets a bit old or I don't think anything will ever top my first time in there seeing Bicep.

Fabric is another that I'd suggest checking if you've never been. Usually gets all the people that are not from UK's attention as it's very central and quite an easy/guaranteed good night. (I dunno I just always meet French, Italians and Spaniards in there...) I'm not into the DnB nights they put on, and I think the place is at it's best when all 3 rooms are open, always a bit gutted when it's just R1.

Phonox can be a great vibe depending who's playing (a bit of a trend with me), it's like XOYO (managed/owned by same team) but only 1 room and a cosy bar downstairs and usually not too rammo. I live close by so kinda love it. A few people say it's pretty young, so if you're 30+ you might think you're the oldest person in the room, but you're probably not, maybe second oldest :P 

Village Underground has been booking some decent All Night Longs this year, dunno who's managing but they are getting some decent names doing fun things. Another 1 room, more of a venue than a club but very fun, am also going to HAAi's All Night Long later this year. 

Micks Garage in Hackney also book some fun nights, it's a coffee roasters during the week and turns into a club from Friday.

Just avoid XOYO. No matter what. It's never worth it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Didn’t realise it was in April. Gonna see if my mate fancies buzzing London for the Saturday. Would be tempted to see what was on after the day event at other clubs in London as I’ve never been out there. Which are the better spaces in London? I’m clueless to be totally honest. 

https://www.residentadvisor.net/events/1352365

that’s day event

https://www.residentadvisor.net/events/1352377

that’s night 

A previous frequent poster on this forum, whos username was a certain species of saltwater fish, had the following recommendations and wanted me to pass them on. 

Most of these are medium-ish size

• Pickle Factory - shipping container size club, low ceilings, sweaty. Opposite Oval Space so sometimes they share nights. Oval Space is bigger and the sound is hit and miss but has a lovely smoking area and expensive cans
  • Corsica - classic if you haven’t been before, room 2 especially is a sweatbox with great sound
  • Phonox - decent sized, nothing knock your socks off special about it but often has good names and v cheap early birds
  • XOYO is fine but nothing special. Would only go if the lineup was amazing.
  • Mick’s Garage - venue situated on crate brewery, usually not many dickheads, pretty open and lots of boogie space. (+ next to Howling Hops taproom for a pre-night out pitstop)
  • Venue MOT Unit 18 - not been myself but have some interesting curation and the soundsystem is meant to be good.

loads more than just the superclubs mentioned before. Just keep an eye on RA and ask in here if you find somewhere you haven’t heard of

Bonus suggestion

• Cafe Oto - usually something experimental and interesting on if you fancy something weird and are a bit knackered or whatever. 20% chance you’ll bump into Thurston Moore
  • Like 1

2E93FE5E-DED9-44BB-931A-89C9ED082EB5.jpeg

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but this specific day of Re-Textured looks INCREDIBLE. 

Saturday 4 April. 12.00-22.30. 

Not been to Tobacco Dock as a music venue before - anyone know what it's like? 

Had tickets to see Objekt at Re-Textured last year (E1) but got mugged near to the venue and lost my ticket/phone etc so couldn't go! Hoping for a better experience this year! 

Edited by lessthanwill1

27 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

I'd honestly just look on RA on the night as Lineup usually > venue for me, but I guess I'm lucky enough to be able to know the London spaces now.

To add on what others have said:

Printworks, go if you've never been, big warehouse vibes. Having been a few times, it gets a bit old or I don't think anything will ever top my first time in there seeing Bicep.

Fabric is another that I'd suggest checking if you've never been. Usually gets all the people that are not from UK's attention as it's very central and quite an easy/guaranteed good night. (I dunno I just always meet French, Italians and Spaniards in there...) I'm not into the DnB nights they put on, and I think the place is at it's best when all 3 rooms are open, always a bit gutted when it's just R1.

Phonox can be a great vibe depending who's playing (a bit of a trend with me), it's like XOYO (managed/owned by same team) but only 1 room and a cosy bar downstairs and usually not too rammo. I live close by so kinda love it. A few people say it's pretty young, so if you're 30+ you might think you're the oldest person in the room, but you're probably not, maybe second oldest :P 

Village Underground has been booking some decent All Night Longs this year, dunno who's managing but they are getting some decent names doing fun things. Another 1 room, more of a venue than a club but very fun, am also going to HAAi's All Night Long later this year. 

Micks Garage in Hackney also book some fun nights, it's a coffee roasters during the week and turns into a club from Friday.

Just avoid XOYO. No matter what. It's never worth it.

25 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

A previous frequent poster on this forum, whos username was a certain species of saltwater fish, had the following recommendations and wanted me to pass them on. 

• Pickle Factory - shipping container size club, low ceilings, sweaty. Opposite Oval Space so sometimes they share nights. Oval Space is bigger and the sound is hit and miss but has a lovely smoking area and expensive cans
  • Corsica - classic if you haven’t been before, room 2 especially is a sweatbox with great sound
  • Phonox - decent sized, nothing knock your socks off special about it but often has good names and v cheap early birds
  • Mick’s Garage - venue situated on crate brewery, usually not many dickheads, pretty open and lots of boogie space. (+ next to Howling Hops taproom for a pre-night out pitstop)
  • Venue MOT Unit 18 - not been myself but have some interesting curation and the soundsystem is meant to be good.

loads more than just the superclubs mentioned before. Just keep an eye on RA and ask in here if you find somewhere you haven’t heard of

Bonus suggestion

• Cafe Oto - usually something experimental and interesting on if you fancy something weird and are a bit knackered or whatever. 20% chance you’ll bump into Thurston Moore

Thanks honestly I really do appreciate it.

If I’m going it’s Junction 2 or RE:Textured so I’d be after a smaller space for the afters. If I’m totally honest I’d say I’m after more experienced (not self entitled little shits) crowd with more emphasis on atmosphere and vibe than booking every in DJ under the sun for a 1.5 hour set.

They have enough of that at WHP. Can’t be arsed traveling for it. I wouldn’t go to any night without being into the lineup. Probably looking more for places to avoid so I don’t end up fed up and fucking off back my digs.

XOYO one to avoid then? Probably avoid Fabric and Printworks also.

Did anyone go Junction 2 last time? 

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Did anyone go Junction 2 last time? 

Honestly couldnt recommend enough. space to dance, decent enough crowd, fantastic sound. Pints had a bit of a que but other bars werent busy. Woods stage has vibes. This was the friday which didnt sell out. Wouldnt know about the saturday as not my music / vibe

• Upvote 1

Well we’ve just bought Friday tickets. If we decide to go on Saturday as well gonna tout them or something. 

Can anyone recommend places to stay in London? We’re probably gonna be just going for pints on Saturday day/night so somewhere decent for that in the summer be handy. Appreciated!

2 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Well we’ve just bought Friday tickets. If we decide to go on Saturday as well gonna tout them or something. 

Can anyone recommend places to stay in London? We’re probably gonna be just going for pints on Saturday day/night so somewhere decent for that in the summer be handy. Appreciated!

I always like to recommend Bermondsey square hotel if you’re looking for something cheap and cheerful, simple and central-  a short walk to London Bridge station, some really nice summer bars around there, Flat Iron Square is a must with the sunshine, as is the George Inn,  if not it’s dead easy to catch the underground anywhere that takes your fancy!

fabric is amazing but my ex got trapped in the unisex loos there once & we had to kick down the door.

Also terrible phone reception.

Great for D&B on a Friday.

Can be used as a hotel if you miss your last train.

XOYO is pretentious unless you go for a specific night.

Printworks was fun but froze my tits off, just a long narrow room so hard to get a decent spot. I liked it though, glad I went.

Edited by Bisque

7 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Bonus suggestion

Corsica Studios is a great spot. Managed to catch Bicep there when they took over the Colombian restaurant next door. Class venue and nights, Troublevision and TIEF had some great line ups.

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

They’re on Primavera line up aren’t they. So is DJ Harvey and he’s on Dekmantel one. Hope he shows up at Glastonbury.

Harvey would be great at Glastonbury. Spotted Kamma & Masalo on the Primavera lineup, they did probably my favourite set of the ones I listened to from Dekmantel last year.