Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

• 16bit dropping Pixies - Where is My Mind at Motion, 2011. Completely unexpected and the rest of the music that night was, quite frankly, horrible in retrospect, but them dropping that was just incredible. Will remember that for years to come. 
  • Numbers 10 birthday in Glasgow 2013. Jackmaster playing West End Girls and the place erupting. Hudson Mohawke playing a never to be released happy hardcore remix of TNGHT - Higher Ground, biblical. I loved the night because Glasgow felt like a million miles from Bristol, and was a proper good time.
  • Walking into this clearing at Bestival as someone (no idea who) dropped Lovebirds - Want You in My Soul. I was absolutely peak euphoria, the smoke machine was playing perfectly with the lights, and I'd found myself a festival romance to have an adventure with (that night was the first time she ever dabbled in any party favours so it felt like some mad and incredible film).
  • Accidentally going into the wrong tent as LNTG played his remix of Fleetwood Mac - Dreams and every single person belting it out. Safe to say the wrong tent became the right tent. Must have been about 10,000 people in there. The same Bestival as the Lovebirds moment. 
  • Glasto 2017. The Stranger Things set DJ Yoda played. The Cure, The Smiths, The Clash - Incredible! 
  • Jamie xx @ WHP 2017. He played some sort of remix (or reprise, or part of the original...?!) of Justin Timberlake - My Love and everything just came together. 
Edited by Zacko
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Steffi & Virginia playing Break of Dawn by Rhythm on the Loose on genosys at about 6am

I've heard this moment mentioned in countless places and from countless friends over the months, can only imagine how spectacular it must have been! 

You know it's special if a tune can make you forget its 6am and you're (possibly) flagging a bit. 

Edited by Zacko

A few of my top Clubbing moments ever....

2003 - Being 19 years old, still pretty new to serious clubbing and seeing Eddie Halliwell at the Republic in Sheffield. It blew me away. I'd never really experienced anything like it.

2005 - Space Ibiza - Erick Morillo. It was live on Radio one. 

My first trip to Gashouder in Amsterdam

Space Ibiza 2006 - Carl Cox playing this.....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Printworks just announced their first shows of the 2020 Spring/Summer season. Most exciting for me is Orbital (Live) + TBA guests. It's on the 14th of March, 12:00-23:00.

But one thing I find odd is the price: "from £22.50". Aren't Orbital shows usually more expensive than that? Seems too cheap and it's making worried theres some kind of catch

Well I'd assume that those £22 tickets are pretty limited. Unless you're quick you're most likely to pay one of the tiers as they sell usually 22/28/35/40 off the top of my head.

I don't know what Orbital usually costs, but the set wouldn't be more than 1.5h potentially just 1.

It'll be a full day of lineups which is very standard for Printworks. Also not sure what AVA has planned but visuals could be hit or miss.

Also you'd most likely have to get in the venue a few hours before the end, assuming you just want to see Orbital. Can also get pretty rammo at Printworks, especially by the front & middle (depending on their setup). Sound is good everywhere at least.

All the drawbacks I can think of. :) 

2 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

Well I'd assume that those £22 tickets are pretty limited. Unless you're quick you're most likely to pay one of the tiers as they sell usually 22/28/35/40 off the top of my head.

I don't know what Orbital usually costs, but the set wouldn't be more than 1.5h potentially just 1.

It'll be a full day of lineups which is very standard for Printworks. Also not sure what AVA has planned but visuals could be hit or miss.

Also you'd most likely have to get in the venue a few hours before the end, assuming you just want to see Orbital. Can also get pretty rammo at Printworks, especially by the front & middle (depending on their setup). Sound is good everywhere at least.

Oh, I was so convinced about going; was going to be a nice little weekend away with some friends. But now I'm not sure anymore =\

6 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

I doubt you'll get the full Orbital AV show as the stage is to small at Printworks. Daniel Avery and Jon Hopkins did 2 hour sets there recently so I don't see why they wouldn't get their usual 2 hours.

Re the venue, the room is really long and narrow and sounds the best in the middle section IMO, so you may have to stand way back if it's rammo. They have funny rules about getting in before x time before they close the doors, which is kind of annoying.

Be careful what ticket you buy, some have times on them that you have to be in before (on top of a general doors close time). When I went to see Jon Hopkins I accidentally bought a ticket that said I had to be in before 9pm when general doors closed at 10.30pm.

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Oh, I was so convinced about going; was going to be a nice little weekend away with some friends. But now I'm not sure anymore =\

I was just giving you all the drawbacks, if you manage to get the early bird tickets for £22 you'll have a grand old time. 

Main thing is you won't know the lineup so if you're only keen for Orbital may have to listen to some other sets you're not into, but curation should be good on their end. This is last year https://www.residentadvisor.net/events/1190468

Also regarding timings depending on what you're into, this year it's on Saturday looks like a day thing so 12:00 - 23:00, some enjoy that, if not could get to Fabric/Phonox/XOYO or some other venue for a few more hours. Saturday will have a night tube running (limited service on selected lines). 

If you've never been, go for it! Buying tickets at 22 guarantee you should be able to sell them off worst case. 

Wasn't trying to put you off, just my experience (and you did ask what the drawbacks were). Bicep at Printworks may have been the best show I've ever been to.

22 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

2003 - Being 19 years old, still pretty new to serious clubbing and seeing Eddie Halliwell at the Republic in Sheffield. It blew me away. I'd never really experienced anything like it.

My first trip to Gashouder in Amsterdam

Space Ibiza 2006 - Carl Cox playing this.....

This track!!! Heard it first time when Tiefschwarz played it at Love Parade in Berlin in 2006. Still one of my favourites!!!

On 11/29/2019 at 12:53 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

If I could choose one set/night I did not attend but want to- the Erick Morillo set would be it!

I can not tell you how many times my friends and I have listened to that set, it’s our go to set at after parties, BBQ, basically anywhere you need good vibes ?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Upside down frowner said:

If I could choose one set/night I did not attend but want to- the Erick Morillo set would be it!

I can not tell you how many times my friends and I have listened to that set, it’s our go to set at after parties, BBQ, basically anywhere you need good vibes ?

We'd only been in Ibiza for about 6 or 7 hours. From memory  he came on at about 9pm on the Terrace & the place was packed.

Laurent Garnier, Fergie & Judge Jules were on too. What a night. Amazing times.

I last went to ibiza properly in 2012 & then my mate got married there in 2017. It is a different place now. Day parties don't exist. Its a shame

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 1

Years ago when I pretended to be a dj, I remember playing this tune when it kicked off in a club. It had taken me ages to get a copy and cost a fortune (still looking at £80 for it now). It all kicked off lights came on and I was adked to turn the music off. Bollocks to that, no chance I was stopping this till the end. Fair to say I never got asked to dj there again.

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

We'd only been in Ibiza for about 6 or 7 hours. From memory  he came on at about 9pm on the Terrace & the place was packed.

Laurent Garnier, Fergie & Judge Jules were on too. What a night. Amazing times.

I last went to ibiza properly in 2012 & then my mate got married there in 2017. It is a different place now. Day parties don't exist. Its a shame

I wouldn’t go to Ibiza now if you paid me 

5 hours ago, eastynh said:

Years ago when I pretended to be a dj, I remember playing this tune when it kicked off in a club. It had taken me ages to get a copy and cost a fortune (still looking at £80 for it now). It all kicked off lights came on and I was adked to turn the music off. Bollocks to that, no chance I was stopping this till the end. Fair to say I never got asked to dj there again.

Wow thank you for this hadn’t heard it before - breathtaking stuff! 

4 hours ago, lukethekid said:

I wouldn’t go to Ibiza now if you paid me 

Without sounding like an old man in the mid 30’s, it is not as good as it was the first few times I went however I still enjoy going every year. There are still good places with interesting people (Las Dalias, Pikes, Cova Santa, some at Benimussa etc) beautiful beaches and villages.

Miss watching Car Cox at Space but he still smashed Privilege to pieces when we went in September. Think as I’ve got older, I’ve appreciated the other side of the island away from clubbing.