Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

12 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Means&3rd is also on. Friend of friends. Good guy from the odd time I have met him.

My mate is trying to break into the local scene ((getting a few bookings here and there) so he’s always telling me xyz Manchester DJ’s are great, he recommended him too. I’ll have check him out now.  

Apparently this “secret venue” is that room at Depot. Boiler Room done stuff at Store Street before I remember popping my head in one time. Nothing on that night at Depot either. 

Courtesy starts half an hour before Skee Mask Saturday was gonna pop my head in for a bit.

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

And I hope she is. Have to say that she was my only disappointment of Dimensions. I'd watched a few of her sets online whilst researching the line-up and was excited to see her, especially as she was in the best Dimensions venue, The Moat.

Sad to report that she was really dull. Selection and mixing were just not my thing at all, and some of her beatmatching was sixth-form disco bad! But that probably says more about me than her! Karen Gwyer at Dimensions, on the other hand, was unbelievable! Child 3 is a musician and so 'understands' what's going on with live DJ performance. And he was dumbstruck by how good her hour was!

Ben

That's a shame, her Boiler Room from Dekmantel last year is one of my favourites.  Four Tet or Lone will have to do if she doesn't hit the spot.

What's the depot like for overcrowding? I really didn't like Store Street for that reason.

Cheers

1 minute ago, Beaster said:

That's a shame, her Boiler Room from Dekmantel last year is one of my favourites.  Four Tet or Lone will have to do if she doesn't hit the spot.

What's the depot like for overcrowding? I really didn't like Store Street for that reason.

Cheers

Concourse and Archive, no issue at all. Main room (Depot) was pretty packed when we arrived at 9pm, certainly within the 'channel' between the two rows of pillars that run the length of the room from stage to sound desk right at the back. For Enrico and Adam Beyer there were many sections of that crowd where it was too tight for me to be happy dancing but, as is often the way, 15-20m from the barrier it was actually better! My usual technique is to get you and your mates to pick a spot with a bit of space, all get on it dancing properly, and people generally move so as not to get hit...!

:)

Ben

1 hour ago, ManchesterGlasto said:

I think the Mayfield depot is a great venue for WHP. I’ll be back there for 808 state next month. Was at the Hacienda night a few weeks ago which was good.

Having just returned from Ibiza I’ve found my rave head again so watching this thread with interest.

Id love to see Kolsch at glasto. 

My friends were at the Hacienda night and said the crowd was great. I’ve seen people turn their noses up at the people who attend their events around Manchester but the ones I’ve attended have been ok.

Kolsch was good on the Blues in 2017?

23 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

He's typically not quite techy enough for me, but he played at The Blues on Thursday night in 2017 and was brilliant. Albeit that you could barely move an arm, as it was SO packed!

Ben

I can imagine it was rammed. We always tend to do the same thing on Thursday nights but I’ll have to have a bit more of a mooch about I think. 
I love more dreamy techno. 

20 hours ago, Upside down frowner said:

I have little knowledge about the booking between the different crews. Is there a particular reason @Tuna?

I also don't really know how it works, but block9 have their own separate booker(s) (a friend of mine is hopefully playing the meat rack this year, he was speaking to the downlow booker - we'll see if it transpires) but given the style and the names they had playing this year it doesn't seem like Carl Cox is someone they'd approach (£££). He does seem to love the place and we're interpolating from a single point so it could happen, just doesn't seem likely at this stage. Who knows.

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

I also don't really know how it works, but block9 have their own separate booker(s) (a friend of mine is hopefully playing the meat rack this year, he was speaking to the downlow booker - we'll see if it transpires) but given the style and the names they had playing this year it doesn't seem like Carl Cox is someone they'd approach (£££). He does seem to love the place and we're interpolating from a single point so it could happen, just doesn't seem likely at this stage. Who knows.

I think you're right, Tuna, and Coxy really doesn't seem to fit with the much more (impressively) leftfield line-up that they curated for IICON this year. Now, that might be a budget thing, but Block9 have always seemed to me to be focused on an interesting line-up rather than a 'known' line-up.

Saying that, if Coxy is already playing the festival (he is) and loves the Farm (he clearly does) and is not stupid with his £££ demands, I could see them putting him on IICON. I have no doubt that the huge field would be rammed if they programmed him cleverly (i.e. not against high-popularity main stage headliners) and would be an amazing atmosphere. Would I be there? Hmmm! Possibly! Would defo depend on what else was on, and someone convincing me that he'd promised not to pick up the mike and talk to me. At any point. At all.

Ben

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I think you're right, Tuna, and Coxy really doesn't seem to fit with the much more (impressively) leftfield line-up that they curated for IICON this year. Now, that might be a budget thing, but Block9 have always seemed to me to be focused on an interesting line-up rather than a 'known' line-up.

Saying that, if Coxy is already playing the festival (he is) and loves the Farm (he clearly does) and is not stupid with his £££ demands, I could see them putting him on IICON. I have no doubt that the huge field would be rammed if they programmed him cleverly (i.e. not against high-popularity main stage headliners) and would be an amazing atmosphere. Would I be there? Hmmm! Possibly! Would defo depend on what else was on, and someone convincing me that he'd promised not to pick up the mike and talk to me. At any point. At all.

Ben

OH YES OH YES OH YES 

As mentioned above I thought the only way they could get the big/expensive names would be if they’re are prepared to do a few sets and take bits off everyone’s budgets. Always thought that’s why Cox will play for example the unfairground because he’s getting money from three areas.

How many of the other big hitters will do that I guess?

As mentioned above I thought the only way they could get the big/expensive names would be if they’re are prepared to do a few sets and take bits off everyone’s budgets. Always thought that’s why Cox will play for example the unfairground because he’s getting money from three areas.

How many of the other big hitters will do that I guess?

3 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I see Bangface have managed to get Helena Hauff. Surely someone at Block 9 can have a word and get her there

I asked her a couple of years ago in a green room if she was playing Glastonbury and she had never heard of the place. I tried to explain it to her and she didn’t seem that interested. Was a polite “oh thanks I’l look it up” pretty much.

1 hour ago, GWR said:

Any of the Manchester peeps here able to tell me what yes is like as a venue. Going there for garnier in January and hadn't heard of it up till today! Looks like more of a gig venue than a club? 

It’s a decent enough space. Didn’t know he was playing when did that happen! Is it in the basement or the pink room? I’ve heard basement is banging but I’ve never been, wasn’t mad on The Pink Room personally thought it was way too narrow and too bright (you need darkness in a nightclub for me). 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

It’s a decent enough space. Didn’t know he was playing when did that happen! Is it in the basement or the pink room? I’ve heard basement is banging but I’ve never been, wasn’t mad on The Pink Room personally thought it was way too narrow and too bright (you need darkness in a nightclub for me). 

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lgotr-private-party-in-manchester-tickets-66171060423?aff=eand

He's doing 3 shows as part of this documentary he's doing, one in fuse, one in the rex club and one in yes. Tickets are dear but have a mate who's a die hard fan so he talked us all into heading over for it. Looking forward to it. Hoping to also try the white hotel the following night if something good on

24 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lgotr-private-party-in-manchester-tickets-66171060423?aff=eand

He's doing 3 shows as part of this documentary he's doing, one in fuse, one in the rex club and one in yes. Tickets are dear but have a mate who's a die hard fan so he talked us all into heading over for it. Looking forward to it. Hoping to also try the white hotel the following night if something good on

11 minutes ago, GWR said:

Jesusssssss Christ! 65 quid to be surrounded by all the students in YES haha. I hope you have a good time mate. You’ll have a great time at White Hotel. 

4 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Jesusssssss Christ! 65 quid to be surrounded by all the students in YES haha. I hope you have a good time mate. You’ll have a great time at White Hotel. 

I know 65 quid lol I'll be looking Larry Gardner to pick me up from the airport and drop me off Again for that fs. Think id had a few drinks when I agreed to it ??

8 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Palmsy has put his Dekmantel headline set on Soundcloud, going to make for good listening in work today.

Having listened to this all the way through, can we get Palmsy in a big late night slot next year?

Problem is I'm not really sure where his sound fits, NYC Downlow maybe? He played The Beat Hotel this year.