Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

23 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Can anyone recommend me some good house/techno mixes please? Training for a half marathon and finding it terminally dull at the moment!

I'm rubbish at finding mixes, @zero000 (although you could do worse than ripping the sound file from that SNTS set above!), but I'm sure the lovely peeps here will help and good luck with your training!

Which one are you doing?

Feel free to ask for any tips, if you need them ? ??‍♂️

Ben
x

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'm rubbish at finding mixes, @zero000 (although you could do worse than ripping the sound file from that SNTS set above!), but I'm sure the lovely peeps here will help and good luck with your training!

Which one are you doing?

Feel free to ask for any tips, if you need them ? ??‍♂️

Ben
x

Cardiff 1/2 in October. Up to 16km now so only another 5 to go. Any tips would be useful Ben! As would a decent mix! Podcasts only get me so far.

16 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Holy Mother of Gods, @ghostdancer1

That is a nigh-on perfect hour of brutal, quality techno. And without question the least annoying BR crowd I've ever seen. I think I rather like Belgium.

Ben 

Worked in Belgium on and off for three or four years and it really is the dogs bollocks for partying.

Omar S in a warehouse in Brussels is one of my all time favourite nights! Amazing crowd, subdued (yet perfect) light show, tune selection on point.

On 8/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, zero000 said:

Can anyone recommend me some good house/techno mixes please? Training for a half marathon and finding it terminally dull at the moment!

It might not be the coolest response, but it's often worth checking out the Radio 1 Residency.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01d76k4/episodes/guide

There should be something on there to tickle your fancy as they rotate 8 DJs who put up a mix a month. Each mix stays online for about a month. This forum's favourite Haai is one, who gives a nice shout out to the Genosys crew about halfway through her latest. As is Charlotte de Witte who is definitely floating my boat at the moment.

There is also a banging set from Blawan & Dax J, which should be right up Benny's alley at least.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000743m

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Fishman said:

It might not be the coolest response, but it's often worth checking out the Radio 1 Residency.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01d76k4/episodes/guide

There should be something on there to tickle your fancy as they rotate 8 DJs who put up a mix a month. Each mix stays online for about a month. This forum's favourite Haai is one, who gives a nice shout out to the Genosys crew about halfway through her latest. As is Charlotte de Witte who is definitely floating my boat at the moment.

There is also a banging set from Blawan & Dax J, which should be right up Benny's alley at least.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000743m

Good luck.

You're a star! Usually stay away from Radio 1 and their tech-house, but there are some really decent DJs on that list. Thanks! :) 

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Not a fan of him usually but Mall Grab was pretty great at Boomtown

A couple of more recent sets of his I've seen have been surprisingly good - he's got a lot more techy, and 'intelligently' so, in my far from humble opinion.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

A couple of more recent sets of his I've seen have been surprisingly good - he's got a lot more techy, and 'intelligently' so, in my far from humble opinion.

Ben'

I used to DESPISE him because lo fi was fucking terrible. 

At boomtown he was playing some solid techno, trance and one breaks track which I am desperate to ID. Unfortunately I didn’t video it because I was dancing my ass off.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

At boomtown he was playing some solid techno, trance and one breaks track which I am desperate to ID. Unfortunately I didn’t video it because I was dancing my ass off.

fully agree with this, was way too soft and cheesy for me before but recently he’s been great

his recent EP release was stellar as well called Growing Pains. if you haven’t already checked it out i’d highly recommend

I think Mall Grab is an example that a once dull as dishwater DJ can actually transition into a class act (once in a full moon).

He’l probably lose a lot of his fans because of his change in direction but at least he’s playing better music. I should imagine the lo fi scene is completely dead now right? Considering Seinfeld and MG have shunned it.

Lost Village set times have just been released, and i must say, my days are looking stacked! 

Any of you lovely folk got any recommendations? Im pretty easy going with my genres, but one of the treats i've come across so far is Folamour. Anything on their remotely similar to his disco / funky sound? 

1 hour ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Lost Village set times have just been released, and i must say, my days are looking stacked! 

Any of you lovely folk got any recommendations? Im pretty easy going with my genres, but one of the treats i've come across so far is Folamour. Anything on their remotely similar to his disco / funky sound? 

Folamour is ace, give his recent Boiler Room a watch if you’ve not! 

2 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Hunee and Todd Terje sound like the exact kind of vibe you're looking for. Other than that I'd be all over Omar S, Eris Drew (did one of my favourite Glastonbury sets in The Temple), HAAi, Inner City, James Holden & the Spirit Animals, Moxie, Shanti Celeste, fair few others.

Edited by Winslow Leach
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Hunee and Todd Terje sound like the exact kind of vibe you're looking for. Other than that I'd be all over Omar S, Eris Drew (did one of my favourite Glastonbury sets in The Temple), HAAi, Inner City, James Holden & the Spirit Animals, Moxie, Shanti Celeste, fair few others.

Nice one bud - appreciate it!

Inner City - 'Good life' came on shuffle the other day and i remembered it instantly. Not too sure on many of their others but as soon as i heard that intro i knew exactly what it was! 

38 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Not sure if its the most recent, but the one i watched he casually drops ABBA in! If he drops that or something similar at Lost Village its going to be a special moment that's for sure! 

That’s the one, he played it when I saw him recently so wouldn’t surprise me if he chucked it in again!

Others from the lineup I’d recommend are Peach, Shanti Celeste, Motor City Drum Ensemble, Jayda G and it goes without saying but Artwork!

I bought a ticket to the Jon Hopkins curated night at Printworks in October. It's years since i've been to a club. The line up of Daniel Avery, Hopkins and Seefeel persuaded me to give it a go, i'll probably be the oldest person there! Isn't it a bit unusual to have a band play on a club night with djs?

Edited by Johnnyseven

On 8/13/2019 at 8:43 PM, Matt42 said:

As of late Mall Grab has been doing 100% Mall Grab sets. This had a tracklist at one point in time, all Mall Grab songs and most of them unreleased. Might find what you're after in there.

On another note, I'm doing Hunee's night at Printworks. The clash is real as the two best sets I've seen all year are Hunee at Junction 2 and Orpheu The Wizard at Dekmantel.  Should be a ton of fun.

Hoping crowd is on board too. Definetely don't want to imagine the crowd at Peggy, I'm sure the show will be great but feel like she'll attract a very un-friendly, typical London crowd. 

33 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

As of late Mall Grab has been doing 100% Mall Grab sets. This had a tracklist at one point in time, all Mall Grab songs and most of them unreleased. Might find what you're after in there.

Reiterates my earlier comment about his more recent sets. I’d have been more than happy with this hour. 

I really do need to get me to Sonar soon...

Ben

Have my final festival booked in for this summer now, gone for Field Maneuvers. Been wanting to go the past couple years and this years line up is absolutely stellar and love the small capacity - should make for a nice cosy intimate affair which I tend to prefer.

Anyone been before or planning on going?

field maneuvers.jpg

Boomtown DJ review...

Carl Cox was absolutely banging. The best Coxy set I have seen in a long time. 

There was s couple of DJs in the Tribe of Frog on Saturday afternoon called Jagerhertz. They played techno @bennyhana22 would have loved. Their soundcloud seems to be a little different, but they played Acid / Tribal techno. 

Eats Everything was pretty good.

Skream... what was that?! My god it was bad. Ended with him playing what can be described as a bad Duran Duran b side near the end of his set.

Altern-8 was excellent.

Mella Dee on Friday was pretty good.

Vandal playing Gabber / Hardcore on Sunday night was excellent.

Groove Armada live was a great hour on Saturday. They would be excellent on the West Holts.

I am not into Drum n Bass, bur saw Dr Meaker Live. It was probably as good a Drum n Bass set as I have seen. Live singers etc. Enjoyable enough, but as I say, Im not into Drum n Bass.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 1