Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

3 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Got tickets for the Four Tet day, because the line up is great and price not too bad.

Slightly apprehensive after reading comments about WHP security and vibe though (never been there before)...and at 43, hoping not to stick out too much from the kids!

Take ID with you. Regardless of age, they demand it (well they did in 2016)

5 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Take ID with you. Regardless of age, they demand it (well they did in 2016)

Thanks.

Hoping it’s going to be a good afternoon evening...always get a bit nervous going somewhere for the first time, but 99% of the time have a blast.

A new venue for this year I see? Hopefully that will solve some of the crowding issues. 

6 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Seen Objekt in Tengu last year was absolutely class. Never actually been Index yet heard it’s decent for a techno night. 

Index is great but it can often depend on the crowd, can seem over sold sometimes with a lot of people just standing around chatting but if you push up towards the front there's always a good vibe. I saw Victor Ruiz there earlier in the year and it was one of the best gigs I've been to in 2019.

1 hour ago, hi. said:

Does anybody have any good knowledge (or even better, sources) to impart on where's best to live for a music lover? I'm not necessarily entirely referring entirely to electronic music but I figured here would be a good place to ask as everybody seems pretty clued up on their music. I live in Glasgow but I'm interested in reading more about the comparisons between music scenes (in terms of pull for getting good gigs and lineups as well as how the area cultivates their own homegrown artists). This is equally for my general curiosity but also because I'd like to move around when I'm older and knowing I could find good music easily is very important for me.

I have to say that Glasgow is very good and quite similar to Manchester in many ways. I love both cities. Lots of decent venues, good people. 

London is the obvious location for variety and availability but I find that the crowds are less up for it and the atmosphere isn't as good as the cities mentioned above.

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

58 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Got tickets for the Four Tet day, because the line up is great and price not too bad.

Slightly apprehensive after reading comments about WHP security and vibe though (never been there before)...and at 43, hoping not to stick out too much from the kids!

I'm tempted by that one too. I wander if he'll bring that cool light display he had at his Ally Pally shows

4 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I'm tempted by that one too. I wander if he'll bring that cool light display he had at his Ally Pally shows

It'll likely be a DJ set so probably no fancy lighting. 

WHP usually do a good job themselves though. 

London be sound if you’re rich or posh no doubt. If you aren’t I’d say it’s Manchester or Glasgow. Leeds isn’t on the same level and I’ve never been to Bristol so I wouldn’t know.

I totally disagree with Fuzzy The White Hotel, Soup Kitchen, Partisan are all great clubs. I’ve not seen any better than White Hotel or Soup especially outside of London so welcome to suggestions. Hidden, The Refuge have their places as do venues I personally hate such as Gorilla. WHP swallows up a lot of your big names but Jeff Mills and Marcell Dettman played Hidden in the past year along with other big names in smaller venues. Dozzy played Soup Kitchen. Clubbing in Manchester has never been better in my lifetime. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

London be sound if you’re rich or posh no doubt. If you aren’t I’d say it’s Manchester or Glasgow. Leeds isn’t on the same level and I’ve never been to Bristol so I wouldn’t know.

I totally disagree with Fuzzy The White Hotel, Soup Kitchen, Partisan are all great clubs. I’ve not seen any better than White Hotel or Soup especially outside of London so welcome to suggestions. Hidden, The Refuge have their places as do venues I personally hate such as Gorilla. WHP swallows up a lot of your big names but Jeff Mills and Marcell Dettman played Hidden in the past year along with other big names in smaller venues. Dozzy played Soup Kitchen. Clubbing in Manchester has never been better in my lifetime. 

I haven't been to hidden yet in fairness. That does get good reviews.

Personally I don't think the sound systems at the white hotel + especially the soup kitchen are much kop, same goes with Joshua brooks - (which is by far the worst).

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Off to Sonar Festival tonight! Anyone on this thread been? 

Yeah, had a phenomenal time in 2016.

Barcelona is a hell of a city. Not sure if anything is booked for El Monastario but if so you should definitely check it out. Went to an RA event the year we went which was excellent

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2019 at 1:09 PM, Zacko said:

LOVED DJ Yoda's Stranger Things....mix? Set? At the Gas Tower in 2017, remember absolutely flying then hearing The Smiths immediately followed by The Cure - the actual dream! 

LOL, I saw his stranger things set at Standon Calling a couple of years ago - didn't really do it for me but that is unsurprising as a) i'm not really into 80's music and b) i've never seen Stranger Things, the rest of the tent was kicking off mind and i have loved him when i have seen him do pretty much anything other than the Stranger Things tour. 

5 hours ago, hi. said:

Does anybody have any good knowledge (or even better, sources) to impart on where's best to live for a music lover? I'm not necessarily entirely referring entirely to electronic music but I figured here would be a good place to ask as everybody seems pretty clued up on their music. I live in Glasgow but I'm interested in reading more about the comparisons between music scenes (in terms of pull for getting good gigs and lineups as well as how the area cultivates their own homegrown artists). This is equally for my general curiosity but also because I'd like to move around when I'm older and knowing I could find good music easily is very important for me.

supposedly Bristol is the most musically creative city in the UK - according to a local MP on tv the other day.

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

supposedly Bristol is the most musically creative city in the UK - according to a local MP on tv the other day.

You certainly see more lads with dreadlocks than any other UK city I've been to so it could be true!

Edited by eFestivals
correcting a typo in my quote

4 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

By virtue of Child 2's pre-sale code, I'm off to the Drumcode night in October.

That line-up is incredible for me!

@FuzzyDunlop - Enrico Sangiuliano, Monika Kruse, Victor Ruiz!

Also getting Pan-Pot, MJC, Alan Fitzpatrick.

Absolutely hyped for this. I'm fine with all the concern about WHP issues etc. The venue looks stellar and I'm not security's target audience, so if the sound and lights are as good as they should be, my Glastonbury pal and me should have the best time. If anyone else pulls the trigger on this, do let me know. Would be brilliant to meet up at an event that isn't Glastonbury.

Ben
x

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

By virtue of Child 2's pre-sale code, I'm off to the Drumcode night in October.

That line-up is incredible for me!

@FuzzyDunlop - Enrico Sangiuliano, Monika Kruse, Victor Ruiz! 

Also getting Pan-Pot, MJC, Alan Fitzpatrick.

Absolutely hyped for this. I'm fine with all the concern about WHP issues etc. The venue looks stellar and I'm not security's target audience, so if the sound and lights are as good as they should be, my Glastonbury pal and me should have the best time. If anyone else pulls the trigger on this, do let me know. Would be brilliant to meet up at an event that isn't Glastonbury.

Ben
x

That looks an unreal line up.

Enrico and Victor Ruiz alone are worth the money! I will be interested to read a Benny review of the venue before I go.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Off to Sonar Festival tonight! Anyone on this thread been? 

Yes, jealous of you. Make sure you leave a nice amount of time if traveling from by Day to by Night. Also, we never quite got down how to get back to the hotel efficiently from by night as uber wasn't allowed at the time and cabs were really hard to come by. Other than that, it is really well run and you will surely have an incredible time. Check out an off party on Sun if you are not completely spent. Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, hi. said:

Bristol, London, Manchester.

16 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I'd say that it's true and I've only visited - never lived there.

Particularly underground and drum and bass etc.

It's also home to Motion, the best club in the UK in my opinion.  And Thekla!

Edited by stuie

Has anyone seen what's happening at Printworks over the August bank holiday weekend? Some proper old school techno on the bill - Carl Craig, Model 500 etc. Tom Middleton from Global Communication doing their album too. 2 of the days seem to be more gig than club which suits me, I can't do all of them but I can't pick which one!