Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

44 minutes ago, ravermum said:

I haven't actually been to anything at Mayfield Depot yet - it's the old railway depot building as you look out from the far platforms of Piccadilly station. I think it's pretty much an old warehouse type thing, lots of pillars, but with some light and some outside space. It must be fairly big as Homobloc is billed as 10,000 capacity. One of the other Manchester lot may know it - if not, I can report back in late September, after the Aphex Twin night. I used to look at it from the station platform and imagine putting on a rave there, so very interested to see how that actually plays out in reality. They're after redeveloping it, here's a link to a current photo of the main space.

This hasn't opened yet. I am going to the Aphex Twin night too

9 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

This hasn't opened yet. I am going to the Aphex Twin night too

I think some of the Manchester International Festival stuff has been on there in past and some kind of Warehouse Project collaboration with the festival. I think there are some MIF shows on in there this year too, but not sure. Nice, maybe see you on the dance floor @FuzzyDunlop? We could at least exchange a fistbump, if we manage to co-ordinate ourselves.

18 minutes ago, GWR said:

Cheers for the info. Everyone! Potential weekend in Manchester on the cards then. ? The line up gets better every time I look at it ?

It's really quite impressive, the names all on one day, and tickets are only £35 if you buy today or tomorrow. The Homoelectric nights, which this mini festival has sprung from, have been running on and off for years in the city and have a very welcoming vibe. Let us know if you get a ticket - and we could maybe do a mini efesters meet-up. I just said similar to @FuzzyDunlop

7 minutes ago, ravermum said:

It's really quite impressive, the names all on one day, and tickets are only £35 if you buy today or tomorrow. The Homoelectric nights, which this mini festival has sprung from, have been running on and off for years in the city and have a very welcoming vibe. Let us know if you get a ticket - and we could maybe do a mini efesters meet-up. I just said similar to @FuzzyDunlop

I'm getting two nights confused, I just realised. Anyway, I am going to both. Anyone thinking about booking Homobloc, I just checked and they are on Tier 2 already and currently there aren't any further tiers available, so I've just bought my ticket. They only went on sale at 9 this morning. I don't know if it means they are selling out to capacity or just selling out current availability. 

11 minutes ago, ravermum said:

34 minutes ago, GWR said:

Cheers for the info. Everyone! Potential weekend in Manchester on the cards then. ? The line up gets better every time I look at it ?

Just checked their Twitter, they really are about to sell out for Homobloc...

59 minutes ago, ravermum said:

Just checked their Twitter, they really are about to sell out for Homobloc...

Saw the insta post an hour ago saying its half sold, they shift the other half already? ? Still need to check fights, hotels etc

Screenshot_20190711_151951_com.instagram.android.jpg

37 minutes ago, rubick said:

@GWR - Wigwam, Dublin, 21st June - it's only bloody Wevvers again! 

Update your spreadsheets and begin the incantations!

21st December? Don ur ceremonial robes and head dress! He's doing the menagerie in October too ?

Edited by GWR
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

I still can’t figure out if Club Mate is the elixir of the gods or a fucking weird mess of a drink.

Sometimes I can't help but wonder if it a placebo effect, but I generally like to kick the night off with one or two if it is on offer

5 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

repulsive stuff

Blasphemy

7 hours ago, Walker2295 said:

Anyone a fan of the Queer Party/NYC Downlow vibe should check out the below, looks like a great line up.

Unsure if was right place to post, but thought I would stick it in here..

11-07-2019 10-18-27.jpg

Unreal line up. 40 quid as well and with the size of that place they could do anything they wanted. Very excited. Got me and my missis a ticket this morning know a good few who are also going. Hoping to lack of big names you’d associate with dickhead young lads/girls means it’ll be a great crowd. I haven’t been this excited for something in Manchester for ages.

I’ve heard they’re making four rooms/stages/areas but could be total bollocks. I cannot begin to explain how big it is. I’ve been years ago during MIF for Adam Curtis vs Massive Attack and couldn’t believe they didn’t put parties on there. Went last MIF x WHP for Bonobo/Palms Trax/Giles Peterson and some other c**t can’t remember now. The place looked almost empty it was so big. The bars were way out the way of the dance floor. I thought it was great myself, seems the perfect place for a indoor festival. They had proper nice food there in another area too. 

Edited by Tommy Dickfingers

They put on good stuff. Gonna go Eris Drew and Peach at their pride party. They put on Young Marco at The Refuge a while back was one of my favourite nights I’d been in ages think it was when Mark E Smith had died he played Totally Wired into Born Slippy to end the set. 

Totally agree solid line up throughout. I’ve seen Krysko and Will Tramp loads over the years both very good and they’re right at the bottom for instance. 

Edited by Tommy Dickfingers

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Definitely coming up for Homobloc. Sensational bill for that price. Doesn't worsen at all as it goes down the font sizes at all. The Homoelectric lot have smashed it.

Intrigued by "Romy" – I have to assume lead singer from The XX as there is very little else to suggest they should be above Erol Alkan and Jayda G. But no real info to go on besides that.

It is her yeah, she was on insta about it earlier 

14 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Intrigued by "Romy" – I have to assume lead singer from The XX as there is very little else to suggest they should be above Erol Alkan and Jayda G. But no real info to go on besides that.

Only just noticed that!! Cracking booking there!

I'm very keen to go but my mates are a mix of cant make it and not wanting to go after discussing last couple of days.  Hopefully get a pal to go along with cause that's a great line up not to miss out on.

On 7/11/2019 at 10:28 AM, Walker2295 said:

Anyone a fan of the Queer Party/NYC Downlow vibe should check out the below, looks like a great line up.

Unsure if was right place to post, but thought I would stick it in here..

11-07-2019 10-18-27.jpg

Tickets bought yesterday. It’s gonna be fun ?

Also going for WHP opening this year, not the biggest lineup to see, but good night nonetheless. Couple of names I missed at Glastonbury so win win.

Edited by Jay89

Random question, that I very much doubt anyone will be able answer but...

The penultimate tune Carl Cox / Jamie Jones played was an absolute banger. I have been looking for it, but have no clue what it is! I heard it again in the Spaceport on Saturday. It is a techno track, in about 3 bits. There is a vocal on it, talking (for the life of me I cant remember what it says!), there is an acid sound running through one section & another bit, which I can only describe as having a similar sound to the grinding electro noise on "Dave Spoon - At night", so much so I thought it was starting up.

I have gone through recent carl.cox & jamie jones mixes snd can't find it.

Anyone know what this tune is?!

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Random question, that I very much doubt anyone will be able answer but...

The penultimate tune Carl Cox / Jamie Jones played was an absolute banger. I have been looking for it, but have no clue what it is! I heard it again in the Spaceport on Saturday. It is a techno track, in about 3 bits. There is a vocal on it, talking (for the life of me I cant remember what it says!), there is an acid sound running through one section & another bit, which I can only describe as having a similar sound to the grinding electro noise on "Dave Spoon - At night", so much so I thought it was starting up.

I have gone through recent carl.cox & jamie jones mixes snd can't find it.

Anyone know what this tune is?!

Think that was Slam - Positive Education if i remember rightly

On 7/8/2019 at 5:23 AM, Mouseboy11 said:

Anyone in here ever done Berghain? Me and my Mrs are in Berlin in a couple of weeks and Palms is headlining the Panorama bar on the Friday night. Is it worth bothering with?

Any other recommendations for Bars/Clubs in Berlin welcome also! 

Tried twice, failed twice. For the Saturday Klubnaght that is, not sure if Friday party is more forgiving. That said though, I would recommend having a solid contingency plan. There's endless good bars and clubs in Kreuzberg/Neukolln/Friedrichshain. I really enjoy the ones with the good outdoor chill out spots on the rivers and whatnot... Kater Blau, Griessmuehle, Ipse, Chalet (RIP). Maybe because that sort of thing is so unheard of here where I am from.

• Like 1

Alright E/D thread peeps. Here is my novel of a recap for anyone who is so inclined, a vague recollection of dance acts we saw this year

Kicked things off Thurs afternoon at the Yacht Rock party at Williams Green which far exceeded expectations. Then it was the George Fitzgerald live set in the Glade. Packed to the gills but really fun and gorgeous with the sun beginning its setting outside the tent. Next, it was off to Laurence Guy at the Gully Blues. Beautiful stage, ample room, a nice chilled out Thursday party. The Beat Hotel on the other hand, well let's just say we gave it about 5 mins before leaving Job Jobse due to the crowds to head to the disco of silence (sue me). I'd just like to point out that I am a big fan of the new Sonic design.

On Friday we flitted about stopping in and out of the Wow outdoor party. Fun times yes, but for me, hard to really surrender oneself to the party in the heat, knowing how much day, night, and festival still lay ahead. In the early evening it was George Fitzgerald djing in the Beat Hotel with a crowd of literally 5 other people, the majority of which seemed to be in a state of mind that meant they didn't necessarily seek out being there, more so just wound up there. Probably the one and only time we will see him in that setting. Palmsy was a solid as always closing to the BH that evening. Then a nice Bimble to the SE corner where we witnessed IICON for the first time after succesfully avoiding both online and real life spoilers up that point. Stunning visually but the musical stylings of the Zenker Bros were not really for the Mrs, so it was aimless bimbling about the rest of the SE Corner for the reminder of the evening (morning).

Saturday was our most robust day, starting off with the surprise Vampire Weekend set and the Four Tet morning set in Stonebridge which I did not expect to be at capacity after the 2016 set which was relatively empty. Great kickoff to the day though. Shoutout to the Bimble Inn bartenders for getting us up and running. Bands were seen, naps were taken, Greenfields were strolled. But that's not what this thread is about. On the dance side of the spectrum, things kicked off with my second favorite set of the weekend - Midland in the Beat Hotel. Had high hopes for this as he doesn't come to NY that often, or as often as I would like that is, but it lived up to and exceeded expectations, with a Brothers cider in hand riding the post-Lizzo high. He played ABBA02 which was just too perfect, and to the nice Welsh guy chatting to us throughout on the off chance you are reading, my apologies if I ignored you but that was one tune that I just needed to experience. Next, it was off to the second Four Tet set of the day as he transitioned us rather from morning to day but this time light to dark. Musically I enjoyed his morning set much more, however standing in that Arcadia field, sun setting, in a sparse crowd ... with the full festival on view below prepping for Saturday evening ... it was quite magical. Then it was off for a song or two of Hot Chip before committing to the SE corner during the headliners for a bit of relaxed, pre-crowd exploration and acquiring of a solid spot for Bicep in the Gas Tower. Fun hour of music, but definitely beaten by HAII's exhilarating set at Genosys. Then onto Hessle Audio, which really was a lovely pairing with the sunrise. Sidenote, by this point pretty much given up on ever getting into NYC Downlow this year as the lines were obscene every time we passed by.

Sunday, Peach in the Wow Tent was just the shot of energy that was needed. Anyone else there up front and see the security steward who was just so into it? Also have to say I am a big fan of the new Wow Tent. Low ceiling tent feels club-like. Teepee ness of the tent style feels very Glasto. Nice combo. The closing run of the festival began with Eats Everything in the Temple with a surprising amount of room around us up on one of the 'balconies'. Probably the most obnoxious crowd I encountered all weekend though with nos canisters basically raining down the steps behind us throughout the entire set. Also actually had an encounter with someone who pulled a glowstick off of me then yelled at me in a very hostile way when I turned around and asked for it back. The irony of it all was that I had a pocket full of the things ready to gift to people, people who were nice that is. Pretty shocking stuff. But I guess its a Temple crowd thing? That said, it was still a fun time and watching the giant white balloons bounce around the crowd was rather pleasing to our 5-day-straight-party-addled minds. After a bit of Eris Drew, which was sounding great mind you, the desire for a change of scenery was more compelling so it was off to the Gas Tower for the Seth Troxler secret set which was perfect palate cleanser with ample room to dance. Then my favorite set of the weekend, our closing set of the weekend, Felix Dickinson. What a way to finish. If anyone has any ID's please do post! If anyone saw that attempt at a conga line front right, well, yeah we were in that. Had so much potential but I think the person who initiated it was not quite in a state to be piloting a conga line (hell who of us was at that point). Hope everyone else had a fab festival ✌️

Oh, here's some things I heard over the weekend

Palms Trax - Beat Hotel

Midland - Beat Hotel

Four Tet - Pangea

Bicep or HAII can't remember

Seth Troxler - Gas Tower (I think?)

• Upvote 4